Alma De Cuba
1623 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $31 to $50
Alma De Cuba
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.almadecubarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 988-1799
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Douglas Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Alma De Cuba can accommodate large parties of 12 or more guests.
- Private Party Contact: Meg Torpey 2672383649
- Cross Street: Between 16th and 17th
- Public Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There are private, non-affiliated lots in the area and limited street parking.
A word from Alma De Cuba
Restaurateur Stephen Starr and Nuevo Latino superstar Chef Douglas Rodriguez pair up in this bold new venture with a Cuban Vibe. Enjoy delicious dishes infused with the sensuous flavors of Cuban cuisine in a vibrant atmosphere reminiscent of Old Havana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alma De Cuba reviews from OpenTable diners
338 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (216)special occasion (176)romantic (150)hot spot (134)good for groups (116)vibrant bar scene (102)neighborhood gem (63)notable wine list (40)late-night find (39)scenic view (9)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/21/2014We found the food to be very good. Our waitress was not very good or engaged. We heard about the specials when another waiter went through them at a near by table. Unfortunately we were half way through the meal at that time. Food was very creative. Rainbow ceviche was the best of the three we tried. Be adventuresome and try something new. Tres Leche cake was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceBbbbbbDined on 11/18/2014I've been here three times now and every single time the food was superb. Service is on par with any high end restaurant in the city, but the food takes Alma over the edge. Great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cuban FusionVedderrockDined on 11/15/2014Went to Alma de Cuba this past Saturday evening and had a fantastic evening. Group of four, first time for two of us and second time for the other two. The ceviche was outstanding. You can choose each one separately or try multi-style samplers. We chose the 3 samples for $28. Had the Ecuadoran Shrimp, Lenguado El Fuego and Thai Mixto. Each one was unique, fresh and fabulous. On the negative side, the samples were quite small, so that the 3 samples were equal to approx. what a single, full serving should be, so for $28 it's not really a great bang for the buck. Also, they don't bring any tortillas, crostini or anything else that is typically served to eat with the ceviche. For entrees, two of us had the Vaca Frita, which was cooked perfectly for each of them and was very tender and flavorfu and was a very nice portionl. One of us had the fish special of the evening, which was again cooked perfectly, although the portion was a little small I thought, but our friend didn't complain. I had the Duck Ropa Vieja, which was outstanding...very flavorful and portioned perfectly. The service was outstanding...the servers were extremely attentive without being obtrusive, water and drinks were always timely and unwanted plates, silverware etc...were removed quickly. Overall a little pricey, so it's not someplace I would eat on a regular basis, but it's really a great place that I would go to again whenever I have the opportunity and it's in my budget. One last thing I need to say is that the bar makes their own ginger beer, which make their Dark & Stormy the best one I have ever had. In retrospect, maybe that's why our bill was higher than expected, because we drank so many Dark & Stormy's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!ThemaDined on 11/14/2014A small group of is went here for dinner to celebrate our friends promotion. The service as always was impeccable and the food and drinks were amazing. I wouldn't expect anything less than perfection. Absolutely love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marginal.TravelerDined on 11/12/2014The food is very tasty. Some may be disappointed with the portions. The value was not there. Almost bite sized food.
- Love this restaurant!TarheelDined on 11/10/2014Wonderful cocktail list with drinks well prepared...Ceviche is always delicious...our favorite entree is the roasted pork...only complaint---portions are too large!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great drinksStanDined on 11/8/2014All of the food was awesome and the bartender made a mean dark and stormySpecial Features:
- Overall enjoyable and tastyMattZDined on 11/8/2014The initial "uh-oh" when the hostess couldn't find the Open Table reservation. This happened before - for some reason the reservations go in under my email account. Even so, the greeting was friendly and it was no problem being seated before the third member of our party arrived. The waitress encouraged us to ask questions - and we did - to help with translations. Her recommendations (Branzino and the special seafood stew/chowder) were right on target. The salmon was also excellent. Side dishes are offered, but not needed - the portions are generous. Water glasses were always filled without delay. It was a relaxed environment yet still felt special. No rush to finish or turn the table over - much appreciated.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingHoneydropDined on 11/7/2014I had been to Alma De Cuba a few times, once before for dinner a couple years ago and once again for apps a few months ago. I was looking forward to my dinner here but unfortunately, it fell flat. My friend and I had the arroz con pollo and we had to send it back because the rice was inedible, just extremely salty. We got our food re-made, but they put the same pieces of chicken we had bitten into back on the plate. I expected the whole dish to be recooked. Overall, I was extremely underwhelmed and disappointed. I expected more from a place like this. I won't be back.
- Dinner for 10JimMDined on 11/7/2014We went there on a Fri. night. There were 10 of us. We got there early and had a drink from the bar. The Mojitos were a big hit. We were seated just a few minutes after our 9PM reservation. The restaurant was busy and I'm sure that getting a party of 10 that late wasn't what the servers probably would have wanted, but they were great. They were both very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their extensive menu. The apps came out first. We bought a bunch to share, and the entrees came out right on time and no one in our party had to wait to get their food. The food was delicious. I can honestly say that every plate was empty at the end. Everyone raved about their food. We then shared their chocolate peanut butter bombe. It was the bomb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014When I lived in Philadelphia 8 years ago, this was one of my go-to restaurants - somewhere I could take guests and be sure of the quality of the meal and service. This time I was a little bit disappointed. The service was very very slow for our table. Additionally, the food was decent but not amazing like I remembered. I ordered the branzino which was very good (as were the empenada appetizers and the flan). The skirt steak and the pork were only ok though. All in all it was a nice meal - but when I used to go here before it was always an AMAZING meal.Special Features:
- Excellent NightWallaceVIPDined on 11/7/2014Great food, service, drinks and vibe. A special place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014Toooooo Noisy...could not talk across the Table. Food fine and innovative but the noise ruined the enjoyment.Special Features:
- Si to Alma De CubaeTexRVIPDined on 11/6/2014A friendly hostess greeting preceded our walk up the stairs to the restaurant portion of Alma de Cuba. We were ushered to a nice two-top next to the window, followed by the welcoming of our waiter, an amiable and knowledgeable one, who has been with the restaurant since it opened thirteen years ago. We were both pleased with our appetizer selections and entrees. Attention was paid regularly by the staff, perhaps a little over-zealous in the table-clearing area while there was still some food to be consumed. We shared a dessert and left the restaurant right on schedule for our concert. Wonderful experience and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite entree is goneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014I've been going to this restaurant for two years and love it. Every time I've gotten the duck entree. It was delicious. Just recently I went for my birthday and they changed it to some weird shredded duck on a bed of potatoes and gravy. It was horrible. Salty. Kind of disappointed. Not sure if I'll go back again except for the ceviche appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously good timeas2kDined on 11/2/2014As visitors to Philly, we unknowingly ended up at two Starr restaurants and were very happy with both. Alma hit all the right notes, from impeccable, attentive service to the most delectable flavors in the right portions, to some rather tasty cocktails. The pork shank was amazing, if a little heavy on the fat (which I ate anyway!). The appetizer sampler was two bites each of perfect harmony, and the cerviche was fresh and well varied. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone visiting the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentMichelleGDined on 11/2/2014We went for a birthday celebration and weren't disappointed. The entrées were all fantastic especially the crispy roast pork. The appetizer options were somewhat limited. Overall an excellent experience and a good place to go for something special overall excellent experience and a good place to go for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, but noisy and darkmike02710Dined on 11/1/2014This was our second time dining at Alma de Cuba. The food was every bit as good as we remembered it (the Ecuadorian shrimp ceviche is incredibly good) and the service was great. However it was a bit noisy (we were on the third floor balcony) and the lighting was so bad I actually had to get out of my seat to find a light where I could read the menu. Romantic, possibly, but I would like to be able to see my food and read the menu. We'll be back, but we'll request a seat on the second level next time.Special Features:
- delicious.NicoleDined on 10/29/2014Still my fave restaurant. Amazing ceviche. Always my first choice of places to go. Bartenders are on point, they always make me my favorite martini. ..puesta del sol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic, but...DeGustibusDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful food, service, and overall ambiance. The one (minor) complaint is that the was too low. It may have been our table, but the waiter had a flashlight at the ready and we weren't the only ones who used it.Special Features:
- Always Great Food and AmbianceFrequentVisitorDined on 10/25/2014I have been to Alma de Cuba on multiple occasions and it is on the top of my list when I visit Philadelphia. It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsPieVIPDined on 10/24/2014Our second visit. Menu leaves you wanting, food so-so, good atmosphere if a little loud. Don' t think we'll go back.
- Great Date Night!KJB417Dined on 10/24/2014My wife and I loved Alma de Cuba for a fun and romantic date night! We had the Royal Palm Dates and Yucca with Creamy Mojo for appetizers, I had the Arroz con Pollo which was delicious but my wife ordered the Duck Ropa Vieja which was out of the world. Do yourself a favor and order the Duck. For desert we had the Flourless Chocolate Cake (wife is Gluten Sensitive) and some Cuban Coffee. As a side note, the rolls they bring you are made with Yucca Flour and are Gluten Free! Eat up! Everything was delicious and the service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising find in Philadelphia!AngelicDined on 10/20/2014Being a Cuban living in New York City, I hardly expected to find a gem of a Cuban restaurant while here on business. Its take on traditional Cuban cuisine was really creative while keeping the food's authenticity. I would definitely recommend. The staff was quite amicable and service oriented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative, tasty but not exceptionallotusVIPDined on 10/19/2014We enjoyed our meal, but the quality wasn't quite there - felt the food had been sitting around for a while and wasn't at the right temperature. Although very tasty, I think it was a little too salty.Special Features:
- Still a favoriteagavegirl1VIPDined on 10/19/2014We've been to Alma de Cuba for several birthdays & anniversaries, and dinner for our 20th didn't disappoint! Nice portions, perfectly cooked scallops, & satisfied my husband's Vaca Frita craving. We even had a surprise dessert to share... It's a great reason to visit Philly from Harrisburg!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, but waitress less soGaryDined on 10/19/2014The food and ambiance was great, but the waitress (although efficient) was robotic and didn't seem to connect with us or even smile much. Otherwise, it was a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food. reat presentationAAKidsDocDined on 10/19/2014I had skirt steak which I wouldn't order again, overdone and stringy but the sides and the presentation were excellent . The tapioca for dessert was like a bowl of milk I don't recommend it. The door was locked when we arrived at 540pm for our 530pm reservation even though they opened at 5. We had 4 instead of the 3 booked in our party and they gave us a little bit of a hard time even though the restaurant was obviously empty since the door was locked . A little unfriendly . Overall a nice dinner and I would go back and make different choices .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceMamaGVIPDined on 10/18/2014I called ahead to request gluten free menu and told the it was my daughters 30th bday. They seated us promptly but did give give us menu or water . We had to flag a waiter. We got our own menus. We asked for bread. Service was slow and really seemed uninterested. Food was good. There was no indication they were aware of my information I had called ahead with. This restaurant is expensive and is definitely lacking that special Quality needed for a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerKnitsVIPDined on 10/18/2014The duck tacos were exceptional. Service was very good, the restaurant is pretty. Tables and rest rooms are a up a flight or two of steps, and I did not notice an elevator, so you might want to check if stairs are a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerPeterDined on 10/17/2014Third consecutive year here and it never disappoints. Thanks to Open Table for helping us get the table we like.Special Features:
- Very good foodvinzklorthosDined on 10/17/2014Ceviche is a specialty of theirs; the sampler was excellent. Entrees and desserts were also great. It was fairly expensive - we paid the $25 corking fee for BYOB, had appetizers, entrees, and desserts, and the total for 4 of us was $230 - however, it was well worth it for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alma de CubaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Everything about the meal was great - food service, ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic but loudWayneRDined on 10/13/2014I don't know if it was typical of the place but a couple of large loud parties took away from the enjoyment of a romantic evening. The service and food qualities were well above average and the setting was very nice, but dim (had a hard time reading the menu from my seat). Overall the positives outweighed the negatives and had a really good time. Maybe I should have asked for a different spot.Special Features:
- Could have been worse...CestJoieDined on 10/11/2014Our 1st server was lackluster to say the least. She started our bday dinner off on a rather dry note. 2nd server came to greet us, not knowing we'd just been greeted. We asked if she could stay and she did. Noise level was rather high, restaurant is pretty busy, energetic ambiance didn't quite match the dimly lit theme as expected. I personally found myself distracted by all the commotion. Food was well prepared. Drinks were a little on the strong side. Complimentary birthday dessert did soften the experience a little because we were full and just ready to go. The notion was very thoughtful. I would come back again in hopes for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUGDRDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent and well presented. Very interesting play on cuisine combining Cuban and Spanish tastes. Not just another South American Restaurant. The upstairs rooms were difficult to manage for older patrons as the stairs are very steep and high. Service was excellent and cordial. Wine prices seem high.Special Features:
- New favoriteNjaeoDined on 10/11/2014I've passed this place for years which I now regret. Great place for any size. We started with an empanada appetizer as well as amazing ceviche! Both our dinners (duck and pork) had such a balance of flavors. There was a nice selection of wines as well great sangria. We are sure to bring friends along with us next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in PhillyPRMANManmanDined on 10/11/2014I have been coming here for close to 6 years already and every single time I am impressed and amazed with the food. Although they change their menu often (you lose some of ur all time favorites like the chorizo sliders) every plate is great. The ceviche is always perfect never too limey. And the yucca fritas are an absolute must. I've tried just about all their entrees and tried the squid and rice as my final new entree to have. I was a little hesitant at first since its cooked in squid ink (never had before) but as soon as I took my first bite I was hooked. And finally, my mojito was hands down the best I ever had. I absolutely love this place and I always recommend it to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperationDinnerOutVIPDined on 10/11/2014The ceviche is still outstanding. The rest of the menu has changed since I was last there; I had the duck "ropa vieja," which was creative and fantastic. Plus, unusually attentive service for a non-white-tablecloth place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014one of the best in this great restaurant city.Consistently fantasticSpecial Features: