Alma De Cuba
1623 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $31 to $50
Alma De Cuba
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.almadecubarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2159881799
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Douglas Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Alma De Cuba can accommodate large parties of 12 or more guests.
- Private Party Contact: Meg Torpey 2672383649
- Cross Street: Between 16th and 17th
- Public Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There are private, non-affiliated lots in the area and limited street parking.
A word from Alma De Cuba
Restaurateur Stephen Starr and Nuevo Latino superstar Chef Douglas Rodriguez pair up in this bold new venture with a Cuban Vibe. Enjoy delicious dishes infused with the sensuous flavors of Cuban cuisine in a vibrant atmosphere reminiscent of Old Havana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alma De Cuba reviews from OpenTable diners
308 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (194)special occasion (161)romantic (142)hot spot (117)good for groups (102)vibrant bar scene (90)neighborhood gem (57)late-night find (40)notable wine list (39)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (10)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Food great, but waitress less soGaryDined on 10/19/2014The food and ambiance was great, but the waitress (although efficient) was robotic and didn't seem to connect with us or even smile much. Otherwise, it was a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food. reat presentationAAKidsDocDined on 10/19/2014I had skirt steak which I wouldn't order again, overdone and stringy but the sides and the presentation were excellent . The tapioca for dessert was like a bowl of milk I don't recommend it. The door was locked when we arrived at 540pm for our 530pm reservation even though they opened at 5. We had 4 instead of the 3 booked in our party and they gave us a little bit of a hard time even though the restaurant was obviously empty since the door was locked . A little unfriendly . Overall a nice dinner and I would go back and make different choices .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014I called ahead to request gluten free menu and told the it was my daughters 30th bday. They seated us promptly but did give give us menu or water . We had to flag a waiter. We got our own menus. We asked for bread. Service was slow and really seemed uninterested. Food was good. There was no indication they were aware of my information I had called ahead with. This restaurant is expensive and is definitely lacking that special Quality needed for a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerKnitsVIPDined on 10/18/2014The duck tacos were exceptional. Service was very good, the restaurant is pretty. Tables and rest rooms are a up a flight or two of steps, and I did not notice an elevator, so you might want to check if stairs are a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerPeterDined on 10/17/2014Third consecutive year here and it never disappoints. Thanks to Open Table for helping us get the table we like.Special Features:
- Very good foodvinzklorthosDined on 10/17/2014Ceviche is a specialty of theirs; the sampler was excellent. Entrees and desserts were also great. It was fairly expensive - we paid the $25 corking fee for BYOB, had appetizers, entrees, and desserts, and the total for 4 of us was $230 - however, it was well worth it for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alma de CubaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Everything about the meal was great - food service, ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic but loudWayneRDined on 10/13/2014I don't know if it was typical of the place but a couple of large loud parties took away from the enjoyment of a romantic evening. The service and food qualities were well above average and the setting was very nice, but dim (had a hard time reading the menu from my seat). Overall the positives outweighed the negatives and had a really good time. Maybe I should have asked for a different spot.Special Features:
- Could have been worse...CestJoieDined on 10/11/2014Our 1st server was lackluster to say the least. She started our bday dinner off on a rather dry note. 2nd server came to greet us, not knowing we'd just been greeted. We asked if she could stay and she did. Noise level was rather high, restaurant is pretty busy, energetic ambiance didn't quite match the dimly lit theme as expected. I personally found myself distracted by all the commotion. Food was well prepared. Drinks were a little on the strong side. Complimentary birthday dessert did soften the experience a little because we were full and just ready to go. The notion was very thoughtful. I would come back again in hopes for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUGDRDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent and well presented. Very interesting play on cuisine combining Cuban and Spanish tastes. Not just another South American Restaurant. The upstairs rooms were difficult to manage for older patrons as the stairs are very steep and high. Service was excellent and cordial. Wine prices seem high.Special Features:
- New favoriteNjaeoDined on 10/11/2014I've passed this place for years which I now regret. Great place for any size. We started with an empanada appetizer as well as amazing ceviche! Both our dinners (duck and pork) had such a balance of flavors. There was a nice selection of wines as well great sangria. We are sure to bring friends along with us next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in PhillyPRMANManmanDined on 10/11/2014I have been coming here for close to 6 years already and every single time I am impressed and amazed with the food. Although they change their menu often (you lose some of ur all time favorites like the chorizo sliders) every plate is great. The ceviche is always perfect never too limey. And the yucca fritas are an absolute must. I've tried just about all their entrees and tried the squid and rice as my final new entree to have. I was a little hesitant at first since its cooked in squid ink (never had before) but as soon as I took my first bite I was hooked. And finally, my mojito was hands down the best I ever had. I absolutely love this place and I always recommend it to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperationDinnerOutVIPDined on 10/11/2014The ceviche is still outstanding. The rest of the menu has changed since I was last there; I had the duck "ropa vieja," which was creative and fantastic. Plus, unusually attentive service for a non-white-tablecloth place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014one of the best in this great restaurant city.Consistently fantasticSpecial Features:
- amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Went here with a relative who was in town for a conference. Both the ambiance and the food was truly spectacular. Although the menu is pricey, the quality of both the food and the ambiance makes it worth shoveling out extra $$$$. I recommend their signature dessert dish, chocolate cigar. It comes partially lit on fire and everthing but the label is eatable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is excellent, loud ambienceDineouterDined on 10/8/2014Great food, rather pricey, excellent service and mix of flavoursSpecial Features:
- Dark dark darkKahaDined on 10/7/2014the decor seems modern classy, we could not read our menus in the dark. The manager came and explained why it could not be brighter. He moved us to a table under a torchiere and it was better. A very dark restaurant makes me nervous since I need to see my food. There was a lot of emphasis on presentation so why hide it? The food was a little Cuban plus fusion. The tuna was good and the lentil dish was ok. Our waiter did not get us drink refills before we finished. The cost was $100 and the we don't drink alcohol. The ladies room was down some dark stairs and creepy hallway. It amazes me they act like no one has ever noticed this before. I don't want to hear back from them since the manager already explained their status at length.
- Still a foodie gemRoseAVIPDined on 10/4/2014haven't been to Alma in over 3+ years but went for a special birthday occasion. Service wasn't bad but not good either. I think the waiter just had too many tables. Made up for it with food that was incredibly prepared, taste and texture were exquisite and just so different from so many other restaurants. I love Alma De Cuba!Special Features:
- Our Favorite RestaurantPryorRodsDined on 10/3/2014As always, this is our favorite dining spot in Philly. The food, drinks and service are top notch. The only drawback we ever find is the noise level. I can barely hear my wife speaking across the tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Service ExperiencebdaygirlDined on 10/2/2014We were seated next to a dirty table which had been used by previous guests that remained uncleaned for half the time we were there. I wouldn't complain except that when it was finally cleaned, the guy spilled water all over the floor which splashed all over me and my friend. He didn't clean it up and someone could have slipped. They were understaffed with one waitress to at least 8 tables, very inattentive. A hostess tried to help but didn't know which drink belonged to which table. To top it off, my friend and I ordered the same dish but with different preparation; when the dishes came they couldn't tell us which was which. Really disappointed with my experience here, I expected much more especially for a friend's birthday.
- Picky Husband2fourdinrrDined on 9/27/2014We went to Alma De Cuba for our anniversary, I was nervous because my husband doesn't enjoy spicy foods. We got cerviche HE LOVED IT!! Then he ordered a spicy flank steak dinner..He said it was the BEST meal he ever had. I loved my food too!! Sooo happy we went!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What We Hoped ForskmpvVIPDined on 9/27/2014I returned to Alma De Cuba after a friend and I had a great meal there a month ago. Tonight's visit wasn't half as enjoyable. The music was so loud I could barely hear my partner speak, and we were sitting close together at a corner table. Our waiter started off snarly, but he improved considerably when he overheard me say "I don't like him". I will say the food was excellent. I had pork and my partner enjoyed the skirt steak. The octopus app was delicious too. Mixed bag.
- just okay....mscourtiasDined on 9/26/2014I'm a latina and was expecting more authentic cuisine. I found it lacking the latin flavors of "comida criolla" that I am used to. I might return and order different dishes to see if maybe those are more to my liking and if that fails I will not try again. The ambiance is really nice and the decor is awesome with pics of Cuban people on the walls that are projected via laser beam. Another minus was that it had a really young crowd at the bar. Our server was not having a great day and my entire party was not happy with his service.Special Features:
- Had A Blast00sigmaDined on 9/26/2014We was a party of 4 and everybody enjoyed this'd food...The service was great and atmosphere was on point...This is definitely our new go to spot for a quick dinner date!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary DinnerMichelangelo2Dined on 9/23/2014From the appetizers to the drinks to the entrees, everything was incredibly delicious, different, and delightful. The service was great and the server, maitre'd, and manager were very personable and made us feel very welcome and at home. A special dessert plate with a "Happy 35th Anniversary" written in a decorative, chocolate script was a nice surprise. We look forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- Must try the duck rope viejaOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014One of the best dishes I have ever had at a cuban restaurant. I will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Great atmosphere, nice food -- and different from typical Cuban faire, excellent service. We are 3 vegetarians and heard that there were some off-the-menu vegetarian entrees -- they did not offer these; however, between the one veg entree and sides/appetizers there was enough. Bread is nice, dusted with flour. Appetizers were small and pricey -- caesar salad was tiny at $14, empanadas only came with 2 (but delicious and fried). Veg entree was a rice and lentil cake with a coconut-y stew -- nice. Sides were tostones (plantains mashed into thin cakes with a lemon sauce), moros y cristianos (rice and black beans) and plantains (plain). Dessert was the chocolate cigar (great presentation, flare) and tres leches cake (delicious).
- A great experienceAnneDined on 9/20/2014We had a fabulous time at Alma De Cuba. Our waiter was clearly a professional. He was attentive without hovering and was polite and respectful (i.e. did not call us "you guys"). The food was amazing and very different from what we expected. The Equadoran Seviche was the best I have ever tasted. The Ropa Vieja was a great salty/sweet dish. Our table was on the second floor and we had lots of room around us. The Cuban music was at a perfect level and provided an upbeat, happy background for dinner. We never felt rushed. We definitely will be going back!Special Features:
- Still one of the best!yumyumDined on 9/20/2014Returned after a few years and now wonder what took me so long. This restaurant is consistently one of the best all around-service, ambience, quality of food, menu choices. The drink menu is fun, creative and large-from cocktails to beer. we split the grilled octupus that was so tender and tasty I had to ask if it really was octupus. For dinner, we had dorade (excellent with wonderful spices and flavors but not to overload the mild fish taste) and calamari (a very substantial portion of tender and tasty fish). For desert we had the rice pudding in a coconut- so big you need to split it but so good you don't want to. You actually feel like you are transported back in time and space. The service is attentive and very polite/professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014From the inviting ambiance, to the warm service to the "serious" food, Alma de Cuba wins big.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance!PhoenixJennDined on 9/19/2014We sat on the second floor which overlooked the first floor, great view! The food was amazing. We got the restaurant week menu and the portions were larger than expected. The food was excellent, the service was great and the ambiance was fun.Special Features:
- Restaurant week woesCarbonaraCrushDined on 9/19/2014This was our first time dining at Alma de Cuba, and it was during restaurant week. It was extremely busy, and we could see the wait staff we're busting their humps taking care of their tables. We made reservations, but we were seated late. The waitress would take our empty glasses away but not ask if there was something else we wanted. It seems that, since it was restaurant week and the prix fixe menu was available, the cuts of meat were compromised. We left there feeling full, but a heavy, greasy full. Might be a while before we try going back.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!!!!Mikea168Dined on 9/19/2014We went there for Restaurant Week to try it & now I am hooked!!! I loved the Atmosphere, food, staff & drinks. I Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEsperanzaDined on 9/19/2014We were looking forward to a delightful Cuban meal in Philly. The service was good, but, the food not so much. First the restaurant was so dark you could not see the menu without holding the tiny candle next to it. Perfect for a romantic date if you had facial acne and a hairy chin wart to hide. We ordered tostonies - very good, garlicy and warm, should have ended meal here. A simple Cuban steak with black rice and beans. :( Rice and beans were cold, steak tasted sweet, like sugar was sprinkled over the lukewarm cafeteria style roast beef. Blech! Stumbled out of the darkness to order room service at the hotel.Special Features:
- Great food good service!CCORIANODined on 9/19/2014The food here is sensational! It doesnt take long to get your food after ordering. Literally before you know it, they put the food on the table. I love the skirt steak. It is so tender it falls apart without the use of a knife. Drinks are really good! Love the happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonDined on 9/19/2014We went on a Friday night....the last night of Restaurant Week. We saw the reviews that were not so good regarding some of the Restaurant Week menu so we opted for the regular menu. The food was delicious. We were not rushed and service was fabulous. We would defineatly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014I went for restaurant week. Food was amazing, one of the best meals I've had in the city in awhile. Service during dinner was great! Got there early to grab a drink at the bar, only one bar tender, waited 10-15min to get served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, good food, great service051959VIPDined on 9/17/2014Warmly greeted. Reservation honored on time. Energetic scene with emersive latin music playing. Low lighting for a candle light atmosphere. Good service with waiters clearly looking to please. Delicious cocktails. Ample portions of well prepared latin fusion served in an unhurried pace. Dont expect it to be a fast dinner. Price on the high side but not much more than some other places with far less service, energetic atmosphere and food. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014This was my second time dining at Alma, but my first during restaurant week. I vaguely remembered my first experience there, so I decided to try it again. The service left much to be desired. Our server was not very warm or gracious- giving us short answers to all of our questions. The restaurant week menu was not impressive, nor was the food. The "bread" that came to the table tasted like sweet balls of floury cornmeal. The chicken empanada was salty, and the bronzino "entree" was as filling as an appetizer. The alfajores cookie dessert consisted of 3 or 4 dry floury cookies and the TINIEST scoop of ice cream- which you needed to be able to swallow the cookies without choking. I'll be sure to remember not to come back this time.Special Features:
- Early dinnerFatguyluvsfoodDined on 9/16/2014I know I'm close to 40 but I felt old going to dinner at 515pm. The place was empty. The service was wonderful. The food was very tasty. The moijiotos were super minty. The people were amazing. Good happy hour special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.