Alma De Cuba
1623 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $31 to $50
Alma De Cuba
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.almadecubarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2159881799
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Douglas Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Alma De Cuba can accommodate large parties of 12 or more guests.
- Private Party Contact: Meg Torpey 2672383649
- Cross Street: Between 16th and 17th
- Public Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There are private, non-affiliated lots in the area and limited street parking.
A word from Alma De Cuba
Restaurateur Stephen Starr and Nuevo Latino superstar Chef Douglas Rodriguez pair up in this bold new venture with a Cuban Vibe. Enjoy delicious dishes infused with the sensuous flavors of Cuban cuisine in a vibrant atmosphere reminiscent of Old Havana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alma De Cuba reviews from OpenTable diners
307 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (189)special occasion (171)romantic (150)hot spot (107)good for groups (103)vibrant bar scene (89)neighborhood gem (57)late-night find (41)notable wine list (41)scenic view (10)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Picky Husband2fourdinrrDined on 9/27/2014We went to Alma De Cuba for our anniversary, I was nervous because my husband doesn't enjoy spicy foods. We got cerviche HE LOVED IT!! Then he ordered a spicy flank steak dinner..He said it was the BEST meal he ever had. I loved my food too!! Sooo happy we went!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What We Hoped ForskmpvDined on 9/27/2014I returned to Alma De Cuba after a friend and I had a great meal there a month ago. Tonight's visit wasn't half as enjoyable. The music was so loud I could barely hear my partner speak, and we were sitting close together at a corner table. Our waiter started off snarly, but he improved considerably when he overheard me say "I don't like him". I will say the food was excellent. I had pork and my partner enjoyed the skirt steak. The octopus app was delicious too. Mixed bag.
- just okay....mscourtiasDined on 9/26/2014I'm a latina and was expecting more authentic cuisine. I found it lacking the latin flavors of "comida criolla" that I am used to. I might return and order different dishes to see if maybe those are more to my liking and if that fails I will not try again. The ambiance is really nice and the decor is awesome with pics of Cuban people on the walls that are projected via laser beam. Another minus was that it had a really young crowd at the bar. Our server was not having a great day and my entire party was not happy with his service.Special Features:
- Had A Blast00sigmaDined on 9/26/2014We was a party of 4 and everybody enjoyed this'd food...The service was great and atmosphere was on point...This is definitely our new go to spot for a quick dinner date!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary DinnerMichelangelo2Dined on 9/23/2014From the appetizers to the drinks to the entrees, everything was incredibly delicious, different, and delightful. The service was great and the server, maitre'd, and manager were very personable and made us feel very welcome and at home. A special dessert plate with a "Happy 35th Anniversary" written in a decorative, chocolate script was a nice surprise. We look forward to visiting again.Special Features:
- Must try the duck rope viejaOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2014One of the best dishes I have ever had at a cuban restaurant. I will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Great atmosphere, nice food -- and different from typical Cuban faire, excellent service. We are 3 vegetarians and heard that there were some off-the-menu vegetarian entrees -- they did not offer these; however, between the one veg entree and sides/appetizers there was enough. Bread is nice, dusted with flour. Appetizers were small and pricey -- caesar salad was tiny at $14, empanadas only came with 2 (but delicious and fried). Veg entree was a rice and lentil cake with a coconut-y stew -- nice. Sides were tostones (plantains mashed into thin cakes with a lemon sauce), moros y cristianos (rice and black beans) and plantains (plain). Dessert was the chocolate cigar (great presentation, flare) and tres leches cake (delicious).
- A great experienceAnneDined on 9/20/2014We had a fabulous time at Alma De Cuba. Our waiter was clearly a professional. He was attentive without hovering and was polite and respectful (i.e. did not call us "you guys"). The food was amazing and very different from what we expected. The Equadoran Seviche was the best I have ever tasted. The Ropa Vieja was a great salty/sweet dish. Our table was on the second floor and we had lots of room around us. The Cuban music was at a perfect level and provided an upbeat, happy background for dinner. We never felt rushed. We definitely will be going back!Special Features:
- Still one of the best!yumyumDined on 9/20/2014Returned after a few years and now wonder what took me so long. This restaurant is consistently one of the best all around-service, ambience, quality of food, menu choices. The drink menu is fun, creative and large-from cocktails to beer. we split the grilled octupus that was so tender and tasty I had to ask if it really was octupus. For dinner, we had dorade (excellent with wonderful spices and flavors but not to overload the mild fish taste) and calamari (a very substantial portion of tender and tasty fish). For desert we had the rice pudding in a coconut- so big you need to split it but so good you don't want to. You actually feel like you are transported back in time and space. The service is attentive and very polite/professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014From the inviting ambiance, to the warm service to the "serious" food, Alma de Cuba wins big.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance!PhoenixJennDined on 9/19/2014We sat on the second floor which overlooked the first floor, great view! The food was amazing. We got the restaurant week menu and the portions were larger than expected. The food was excellent, the service was great and the ambiance was fun.Special Features:
- Restaurant week woesCarbonaraCrushDined on 9/19/2014This was our first time dining at Alma de Cuba, and it was during restaurant week. It was extremely busy, and we could see the wait staff we're busting their humps taking care of their tables. We made reservations, but we were seated late. The waitress would take our empty glasses away but not ask if there was something else we wanted. It seems that, since it was restaurant week and the prix fixe menu was available, the cuts of meat were compromised. We left there feeling full, but a heavy, greasy full. Might be a while before we try going back.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!!!!Mikea168Dined on 9/19/2014We went there for Restaurant Week to try it & now I am hooked!!! I loved the Atmosphere, food, staff & drinks. I Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEsperanzaDined on 9/19/2014We were looking forward to a delightful Cuban meal in Philly. The service was good, but, the food not so much. First the restaurant was so dark you could not see the menu without holding the tiny candle next to it. Perfect for a romantic date if you had facial acne and a hairy chin wart to hide. We ordered tostonies - very good, garlicy and warm, should have ended meal here. A simple Cuban steak with black rice and beans. :( Rice and beans were cold, steak tasted sweet, like sugar was sprinkled over the lukewarm cafeteria style roast beef. Blech! Stumbled out of the darkness to order room service at the hotel.Special Features:
- Great food good service!CCORIANODined on 9/19/2014The food here is sensational! It doesnt take long to get your food after ordering. Literally before you know it, they put the food on the table. I love the skirt steak. It is so tender it falls apart without the use of a knife. Drinks are really good! Love the happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonDined on 9/19/2014We went on a Friday night....the last night of Restaurant Week. We saw the reviews that were not so good regarding some of the Restaurant Week menu so we opted for the regular menu. The food was delicious. We were not rushed and service was fabulous. We would defineatly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014I went for restaurant week. Food was amazing, one of the best meals I've had in the city in awhile. Service during dinner was great! Got there early to grab a drink at the bar, only one bar tender, waited 10-15min to get served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, good food, great service051959VIPDined on 9/17/2014Warmly greeted. Reservation honored on time. Energetic scene with emersive latin music playing. Low lighting for a candle light atmosphere. Good service with waiters clearly looking to please. Delicious cocktails. Ample portions of well prepared latin fusion served in an unhurried pace. Dont expect it to be a fast dinner. Price on the high side but not much more than some other places with far less service, energetic atmosphere and food. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014This was my second time dining at Alma, but my first during restaurant week. I vaguely remembered my first experience there, so I decided to try it again. The service left much to be desired. Our server was not very warm or gracious- giving us short answers to all of our questions. The restaurant week menu was not impressive, nor was the food. The "bread" that came to the table tasted like sweet balls of floury cornmeal. The chicken empanada was salty, and the bronzino "entree" was as filling as an appetizer. The alfajores cookie dessert consisted of 3 or 4 dry floury cookies and the TINIEST scoop of ice cream- which you needed to be able to swallow the cookies without choking. I'll be sure to remember not to come back this time.Special Features:
- Early dinnerFatguyluvsfoodDined on 9/16/2014I know I'm close to 40 but I felt old going to dinner at 515pm. The place was empty. The service was wonderful. The food was very tasty. The moijiotos were super minty. The people were amazing. Good happy hour special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JunebugDined on 9/15/2014It was a great time second time going and it was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little HavanaFoodForThoughtDined on 9/15/2014The environment reminds me of little Havana. It is very cozy and the food was delicious. I had dined with a group of my friends for restaurant week and the options were decent. I had the ceviche, which they are known for, as my appetizer. My entrée was their brisket and it was delicious. Very tender and moist. The service was very friendly and attentive. I would go back with friends or on a date.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014Finally tried Alma de Cuba for restaurant week and we were a bit disappointed by the quality of the food. Ceviche appetizer wasn't very flavorful, but we did enjoy the chicken empanada appetizer. The rope vieja itself was well seasoned and delicious, but was plated with white rice and black beans that did not taste fresh. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and excellent service here. Would consider trying again and skipping the restaurant week menu
- Restaurant week disappointmentEatoutalotDined on 9/14/2014You usually get what you pay for on the restaurant week menus--but unfortunately Alma de Cuba did not deliver. On Sunday night of restaurant week, the dining room was full--typically a good sign. The rest was downhill. Thai basil margarita came out quickly but was underwhelming--for $14, I expect more than 3 sips of a cocktail. The coconut curry soup was under seasoned and came out lukewarm--surprising given it was from the restaurant week menu and should have been on hand hot. Wife had shrimp appetizer which was alright but also under seasoned. Wife's whole branzino was also bland. Braised beef had nice flavor, but just served with white rice. Plantains ordered came after entrees finished. This place is running off of previous success.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerDswrhtDined on 9/14/2014I like to try restaurants I've never been to during restaurant week and so we went to Alma de Cuba. Loved it! The food, the drinks, the service (waitress Joan M) were both excellent. Our waitress was very attentive, very knowledgeable, very friendly, she was just a gem. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I did not like it at all !fvdsDined on 9/13/2014Bad service, overpriced, very small portions, long waiting, the 28$ 3 ceviches portions are made of three tiny little bites- good in taste but really too small, this stands for all the appetizers and starters. good cocktails but again we had to wait too long. overall I would not recommend it and not go back as the service is not good enough and it all very chaotic and not cosy. you are not made feel welcome...Special Features:
- Hasn't changed a bit!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our last visit to Alma was about 5 years ago because we left the area. We were in town for a special occasion so decided to return to an old favorite. We found it completely unchanged, from the drink menu to the food menu to the decor. This was great for our trip down memory lane, but not sure what it means in terms of culinary innovation for the restaurant! Also, a small thing perhaps, but I made sure in advance everyone knew of our special occasion-- both when making our reservation and on the phone when confirming it. Not one person acknowleged it while we were there. Poor attention to the details that make people feel special and want to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodOccasionalDinerDined on 9/13/2014The food was outstanding. The Alma appetizer sampler was perfect. The skirt steak was an excellent recommendation by the waitress. The only minor complaint was that it is very dark which makes it a little challenging to read the menu,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnatDined on 9/12/2014Went in restaurant week and decided to choose the restaurant week manu, which was a wrong choice. The shrimp ceviche was pretty good. However, my main course level was way below what I was expecting… I order the pork dish. Althought I know that pork is always fatter than meat this one was 80% fat. The rice and beans underneath weren't that good as well. Luckily, the tapioca pudding was delicious, and somehow made me forget how bad the entrée was.Special Features:
- ExcellentEraneDined on 9/12/2014Fabulous as usual but we did feel rushed. Bar area was rockin. We ate downstairs and it was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerana123Dined on 9/11/2014This was an amazing birthday dinner I had here the food was so good the waiter was so nice and cool the drinks were amazing and everything was wonderful I'm coming back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So yummy!VegetarianFoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014I had a favorite Cuban restaurant in Palo Alto, and Alma De Cuba has topped it. Great ambiance, excellent service and the food and mojitos were delicious! I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- great experience, like quick tripMimmie51Dined on 9/11/2014We first hung out at happy hour in the bar where the drink values and quality were excellent. Proceeded upstairs to a delightful table at the window, service was very smooth between several servers, food delivered to person who ordered without any questions. Taste was wonderful, sights and sounds of Cuba indeed. Went during restaurant week, what a deal ,Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014We went here recently during restaurant week, but did not order from the restaurant week menu because it wasn't impressive. The service was great, the staff were lovely, and the drinks were great, but the food was so very disappointing! The carne was 90% fat and inedible. When you actually found meat, it was dry and unseasoned. Even the fois gras wasn't great. I have had much much better food for much much less, but even if it was less expensive, the food was so terrible that it wouldn't have been worth any price paid. Next time, we'll stick to happy hour and eat elsewhere.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2014Best lechon north of Rio Grande. Fantastic, delicious food.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceDanno316Dined on 9/10/2014Wonderful experience! Had cocktails in the lounge area and went " upstairs" for dinner. Food, service, and drinks all excellent! Staff was very knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating, and the meal provided three separate experiences; from the (slight) spiciness of the appetizer, the excellently prepared combination of the entree, to the decadence of dessert. Thank you for a great evening!Special Features:
- ExcellentchrisfilipponeDined on 9/9/2014My girlfriend and I went out and had an exquisite meal here. Ambience, service, and meal was excellent. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Was okay. Expected better.RobSVIPDined on 9/8/2014Tried it out over Restaurant Week. Had high expectations which were not met. It was good, but not great. The biggest disappointment was the classic Mojito. I can make a better one than those we had. Also, the place is way too noisy to have any kind of conversation.
- Outstanding ServiceBJaneDined on 9/8/2014We went during restaurant week and enjoyed a memorable meal. All the food was excellent and the service was the best I have ever had anywhere. Our waiter was incredibly attentive and pleasant without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Great for Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014I docked a star because they removed my favorite dish from the restaurant week menu (Vaca Frita), but the Ropa Vieja was also delicious. Definitely check it out for restaurant week. The ambiance is great too!