220 42 Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1Y4Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alloydining.com/
- Phone: (403) 287-9255
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International
- Executive Chef: Rogelio Herrera
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Alloy
Inspired by their backgrounds and travels, Chef/Owners Uri Heilik and Rogelio Herrera invite you on an escape to a unique experience in fine dining. Bringing creativity and passion from their respective Mediterranean and Latin heritage, their influences are introduced to Asian flavors and sensibilities to create a menu and atmosphere that represents a harmonious culinary adventure that will leave a lasting impression. Alloy employs a guest-centric philosophy. From our insistence for using only the freshest ingredients, to our carefully selected wines, to our hand-picked staff, we strive to infuse our passion for food, wine, and customer service into everything we do. A visit to Alloy goes beyond a night out for dinner. It will indulge your imagination and offer an escape for your senses. Enjoy the experience of Alloy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Alloy - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Alloy reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (139)special occasion (131)romantic (96)notable wine list (79)good for groups (58)great for lunch (54)great for outdoor dining (50)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (31)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/25/2014The food was great. Unfortunately, there were 3 in our party and we all went for the same thing so we didn't get to see any other dishes. We were also going to a play downtown so no time for dessert. Very attentive server with a sense of humour. We all had the short ribs which were fall off the bone deliscious. Not enough choice in wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Definitely Come Again !!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014The ambiance was beautiful, food was delicious, very sophisticated, the coat check was great, the cocktails were delicious and would love, love, love to come again ! Will definitely wouldnt mind more choices on the Menu though :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced, pretentious, unprofessionalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014My girlfriend and I came here for our anniversary dinner last night (Saturday Novemeber 22, 2014). We were sat quickly but our waitress was not knowledgable. When I inquired about wines she implied that anything below $75 was not good, indicating I should buy something more expensive, which I did. I got pork, my girlfriend got duck; both the pork and the duck were dry. I couldn't even swallow my pork. We also got the calamari to start, it was mediocre. The sauce had no flavour either. At one point, another waitress came by, pointed at my plate and briskly said "are you finished?" It also took about an hour for the entrees to arrive. Basically: Not what I call "fine dining". Over-priced, substandard pretentious food. Unprofessional, disengaged service.
- Night out with friendsAnnieDined on 11/21/2014Lovely evening out with friends, food was very tasty, one of the meals could of been hotter. There were lots of large groups so we think that could of been the reason. Will try it again.Special Features:
- NSBDDined on 11/19/2014The food was amazing! the portion sizes were prefect and the decor is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/18/2014Alloy was recommended by someone we were working with in Calgary. It was wonderful from the appetizer to the dessert. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014The menu was limited but well prepared. All items that we chose from the menu were very good in terms of taste, paring and quantity. Additionally, the service was very good. Our waitress was both knowledgeable and interactive. The noise was a bit loud for a romantic dinner, but for a group of friends would be just fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- greathighbeamDined on 11/15/2014I had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the food. However our waitress wasn't that good. She kept us waiting for things we didn't need too. And didn't seem very happy, I could tell she wasn't but she tried. Would love to come back. My date absolutely loved the food and the atmosphere. But was cold the entire time. I recommend turn the heat up and having a little better service. Still rate you guys very high and think your one of the best places in calgarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New entry to my top 5GregDined on 11/10/2014My wife and I were celebrating an occasion, and came across Alloy on OpenTable. There were some reviews that almost made me think twice about it, however I'm very happy I did not. The food was spectacular, perfectly cooked, and served in a very reasonable amount of time (seared tuna appetizer, lamb chops, and tenderloin). Portion sizes were perfect as well. We will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb! Beyond expectations!MandMDined on 11/9/2014Nov 9, 2014, was my first visit to Alloy. I had heard from friends it was a good restaurant and the reviews were also good so thought I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed. We went on a Sunday eve to celebrate my son's b-day, it was quiet. There were 6 of us so we sampled a few of the appies and the bisque...all so delicious and well presented. Portions are on the small side but expected that. The restaurant also brought out a starter compliments of the chef; naan bread with hummus and olives, I thought that was a nice touch. The entrees (good portion size for the mains) and the desserts were also all great! Our waiter was fabulous! Can't say enough good things about Alloy, highly recommend it and would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening outFoodFunFrivolityDined on 11/7/2014Unique booth seating, eye-catching decor, warm and inviting. Weather didn't permit patio use, but I imagine it would be a great spot in the summer. Food was excellently presented with reasonable spacing in between courses. My tomato salad was a dream - not the usual skimpy amount of tomatoes either -- with just the right amount of basil and vinaigrette. The calamari had unique flavours that balanced out nicely. My friend had the special of the evening (Salmon) and I had the Chicken Supreme. Both were flavourful and plentiful. They didn't have the bottle of wine I wanted, but gave 2 other suggestions and let us try both. The manager brought them to the table and discussed the virtues of each, which I thought was a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok dinner - excellent dessert.HkirvVIPDined on 11/7/2014The food was decent. Did not live up to the hype. I would not leave down town especially for this restaurant again. The desserts were delicious though.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2014Best food ever - wine pairing with the food exceptional Will be back - hope Alloy make the 7 Year anniversary an annual event.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2014Food portions were small and the flavourings were too odd for my tastes ... For example , appetizer prawns .... There are four of us in group ... Plate is 3 prawns ?.... I felt they were trying to be too trendy at the expense of decent tasting food ..... Carrot soup was extremely small portion and again odd flavouring ..... The beef short ribs were excellent but almost nothing else on plate . Great staff .... Very friendly Very expensive ....... And although the ambiance was great the food was too poor to risk spending all that money to be disappointed again
- Wonderful lunchPeonDined on 10/30/2014everything about lunch was amazing! Our table had the heirloom tomato salad, short rib tacos and salmon and no complaints at all! Finishing with the chocolate chili soufflé ended a wonderful lunch on a wonderful note!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014Alloy's ambiance is one of my favorite and food is always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Cooked and Over ManagedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014We went to Alloy for a special occasion, after going there a number of times and one of our meals was overcooked. When we mentioned this to the manager we were told that they changed the way they were cooking it, and in fact it was not overcooked. It is quite obvious when a short rib is over cooked. As we have had this meal almost every time we were there we know how well they can perfect it and this was not even close. We will not be going back.
- Excellent!MaestrobertschDined on 10/26/2014I hadn't been in awhile. Walked in the door and was surprised to see a couple of friends already there. The staff was very accommodating in letting us join those friends for drinks and ultimately a late dinner. The food was delicious. Our server was knowledgable and helpful with menu and wine pairings. The only thing that I was somewhat disappointed in were the desserts. I really did not like my first choice; the server graciously offered me another choice which I enjoyed more but, again, was not a "hit". I love the main menu fusion but am less convinced with the desserts. That being said, this is very much a question of personal taste. Outstanding restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRichardDined on 10/25/2014This was the second time in 2 weeks that we have eaten at Alloy, and both experiences were great. Excellent service, very good food, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or return to Alloy in the future. Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality foodyeejulDined on 10/22/2014The food is always excellent here and very filling!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the new menuGenebeanDined on 10/21/2014As always, Alloy never disappoints. Really enjoy the new menu and look forward to going back to try other items. I had the braised beef tacos, the two others at my table enjoyed the Lobster melt and the Bolognese. Both said they were very pleased with their choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014From the outside this restaurant looks like an old office building, but upon entry it is bright and modern. Had a business dinner and everyone was pleased with their meals and restaurant overall. Great for dinner meeting as not overly noisy to enable table conversation. Would go again or recommend Alloy. Service was good till it got busy then a little lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Service!DBBBDined on 10/18/2014What a joy to finally find a restaurant where the service actually matches (or even exceeds) the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014My husband and I came because we had a gift card. The menu was limited. We found the food just ok which made the value way over priced. The Ambiance was not very warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Food with wonderful tasteslocaldragonDined on 10/17/2014I've been here many times and enjoy the flavours in all their dishes. It's a fine dining place in the middle of what appears to be a non-descript commercial area.Special Features:
- BelgiangourmandDined on 10/16/2014Excellent food - great wine and attentive service - we had a lovely evening.Special Features:
- They never disapointStarDined on 10/16/2014Love going to Alloy and actually will be going there 2 times in as many weeks. They have a great diverse lunch menu that civers all tastes without being complicated meals. Great presentation and attentive service. Found that it can get a little bit loud in the room when it fills up at noon but not so much that you cant hear the person across the table from you. Like that they change the menu seasonally but always have a version of the staples - burger, taco or salad. All options are the higher end of what you would look for and the flavour is delightful. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great timeFoodieatfiftyDined on 10/15/2014We go for the food and wine. We were not disappointed. From the truffle risotto appy to the amaze strawberry dessert . For my main it was the short rib, the meat was so tender and flavour fabulous , my perfect comfort food.Special Features:
- Great serviceDamayVIPDined on 10/14/2014An unlikely manufacturing area for such a good restaurant. We had bison and wild boar, each done extremely well! We were here on a night of a VERY rowdy group, with the table next to us actually quite rude to other tables ( yelling obscenities in a restaurant no less!) The waitstaff were quite apologetic and offered after dinner drinks and desserts. A very nice gesture for a unexpectedly noisy eveningSpecial Features:
- Let DownAJ9286Dined on 10/10/2014We love the atmosphere there and still do but sadly the food wasn't to the level we remember or looked forward too. Our table ordered some appetizers (truffle gnocchi and new style tuna sashimi) and it was delicious, we even sent our compliments to the chef. For our mains our table ordered two of the surf and turf (medium rare), lamb chops (chef's cook, medium rare) and the pacific halibut. The lamb was over cooked, little to no pink. One steak was done perfect and the other was rare, lobster was over cooked and the halibut was just that....halibut. It was a fine dining atmosphere for chain restaurant food, we won't be going back.Special Features:
- First time but not the lastJettVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great food and service and wine list to match. Went on a Thursday night and it was quiet. Thought that this might be a foodie only place where it's good and/or intesting, but not so strong for somone who actually wants dinner. However it was really outstanding food with good portions. Truly haute cuisine au sein du parc industriel. And service was just as good as the food. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/8/2014Amazing food and service - fabulous wines - I will be back!!!Special Features:
- Amazing As Always!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2014I love it here! Totally neighbourhood gem but this restaurant would be a gem anywhere it was located! Beautiful room, great service and unbelievable food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeScottDined on 10/5/2014This was our second visit to Alloy and was equally as impressed as our first dinner here. Meals are very well presented and the flavors of everything were superb. We had the gnocchi along with the side rib which I will likely order again the next time we visit. Zane was a great waiter, very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CravingRoninYYCDined on 10/4/2014There are some restaurants that do a particular dish so well, that they are the only place to consider when a particular craving sets in. For me, it is Alloy's surf & turf. Beautifully seasoned and cooked beef tenderloin, with a melt in your mouth butter poached lobster tail on a bed of the best lobster risotto I have ever eaten. Forget the price tag on this one. You or your palette won't soon forget the out of the world taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service get high marksCalgary1962Dined on 10/4/2014Four of us dined that night and everyone only had good things to say about the food and service. The only notable issue was the noise volume rose as the restaurant became busier after about 8 PM. When we arrived for 7 PM we could still have normal conversations.Special Features:
- Amazing foodAmazingDined on 10/3/2014Great place for Dinner. Very Good Food. Consistent in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014I had been to Alloy once previously years ago and had a very positive experience thus knew to expect a good evening. The food was really, really good. Priced what you'd expect from a higher end restaurant in the area. Service was very good also. Although their dessert menu was impressive, there wasn't anything our party was craving. I can't hold this against them as they had variety and popular dessert dishes but we did not choose any and opted out of that course. Finally, as good as the ambiance is, our only slightly negative thing to write about was that our table was 5 steps from the front door and facing the door thus the first thing people see when they walk in and vice versa. Overall really great evening and would go again.Special Features:
- Alloy! A gem in the industrial!LivinNdininDined on 10/1/2014There is not much to say when the wine suggested, the food that is experienced and the company you are with makes for an unbeatable combination and dining experience. The shared appetizers (the shrimp and the gnocchi) were outstanding. This was followed by the best short ribs I have ever tasted!Special Features:
- Fabulous!!ChrisDined on 9/29/2014We had Great Service and the food was excellent!! Will be back for lunch again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.