allium restaurant + bar
42 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, MA 01230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
allium restaurant + bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alliumberkshires.com/
- Phone: 4135282118
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30 pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00pm | Late-night bar 'til 2 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dan Hardy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From one-of-a-kind weddings and museum galas to dinner parties and cocktail receptions, Allium, in partnership with Mezze Catering + Events, provides exceptional event planning and design, and flawless execution. Our company works with the finest, most reliable vendors in the industry. We provide personalized service crafting customized menus of seasonal foods prepared from scratch and are committed to the local food movement providing a wide range of fresh, seasonal foods from neighboring family farms in the Berkshires and surrounding region. For more info, visit www.mezzecatering.com
- Private Party Facilities: We specialize in farm-to-table modern American cuisine. We would be happy to individualize your event using local products.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Kinser 413 528 2118
- Special Events: Allium Restaurant + Bar hosts special events for organizations, companies and individuals. For more information email email@example.com.
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: For public transportation within Berkshire county, contact Berkshire Regional Transportation Authority (BRTA) at (413) 499-2782 or (800) 292-2782. Great Barrington is also served by Peter Pan Bus (800-343-9999) and Bonanza Bus (800-343-9999) companies.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Railroad Street, at the end of Railroad Street in a municipal lot and in the parking lot behind the restaurant. During peak season and on weekends, parking may be challenging so be sure to allow enough time to find a space.
A word from allium restaurant + bar
Allium Restaurant + Bar serves casual contemporary American cuisine highlighting the best of the season in support of independent farmers and artisan producers using sustainable practices. Our chef sources local ingredients for a changing menu, paired alongside small-batch microbrews, local spirits and small-production wines. In addition to recognition as Boston Magazine’s Best New Restaurant, Allium has been granted an Editors’ Choice award in Yankee Magazine’s Travel Guide to New England. Allium serves dinner nightly beginning at 5 p.m. All major credit cards are accepted. Located in downtown Great Barrington, Allium is a member of Slow Food of Western MA and Berkshire Grown. The full-service restaurant is part of Mezze Restaurant Group which includes Mezze Bistro + Bar of Williamstown and Mezze Catering + Events, providing full-service event design and planning. For more info, visit www.mezzeinc.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
allium restaurant + bar - Best Restaurants in Great Barrington ›
allium restaurant + bar reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (20)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (18)hot spot (14)notable wine list (11)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistently great foodminnieDined on 10/25/2014Dining at Allium is always a great experience. The menu is interesting, with seasonal specials and everyday favorites. The Daire Burger (named after the chef) is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt BlockOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014The food was presented beautifully however the amount of salt on the fries and onion rings was so much it took away the ability to enjoy the flavor of the food itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved!alliumDined on 10/13/2014I had one of the best things I have ever eaten at Allium. They have a small plate with hen-of-the-woods mushrooms. It was quite simply outstanding!!! - I am still thinking about it - really memorable. I also had fresh lemony chopped kale salad & broccoli cheddar gratin - was a healthy(ish) and delicious dinner, that I wouldn't normally make for myself. We sat at the bar & the bartender Billy was really knowledgeable about every detail on the menu. He was phenomenal at multi-tasking and remained pleasant and attentive - all while being slammed with complicated drinks for the whole restaurant. He didn't miss a beat. It's rare to get such stellar service like that anymore. Great music playlist too. Thank you Allium.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 10/10/2014Had dinner before the show in town based on reviews. Experience was ok but food service was slow. The food hostess was very nice however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Our server was great, the decor and ambience were great, our food was very good but the entrees were a bit overpriced. Otherwise a great experience!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014The deviled eggs were amazing. I appreciate the different types of food on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- close to perfecteasy2pleaseDined on 9/20/2014I'm not a food snob, foodie, or extremely demanding. This worked. The menu was creative, but not at the expense of superb food. The service was low-key but very competent. The food was delicious. The "snacks" were wonderful (deviled egg with bacon jam; kimchi), and the entrees were cooked perfectly. The portions were ample. I have a good appetite-this was immensely satisfying. We appreciated the chance to get "just" a scoop of ice cream each. If the bill was 50% higher I wouldn't have complained. Overall, it was our first, but most definitely not our last time there. Highly, highly recommended. Final observation - I like room when I eat. They could have crammed more tables in. They didn't. Good for them.Special Features:
- Allium RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014THe food and service were great! The place gets a little noisy because of its small size. Having the bar in the dining room adds to the ambiance. All in all, a very enjoyable place.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/6/2014First time diners and could not have been more satisfied. Fish and vegetarian family. The halibut was so fresh we went looking for a pond in the back of the restaurant and the vegan risotto was also out of this world. Dessert was delish and Jason, our waiter, made great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014Excellent dining experience. Fresh food, imaginatively prepared, nicely served by well-trained staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, a must tryCanadianInBostonVIPDined on 8/31/2014Absolutely loved it! Everything about it. My girlfriend is vegetarian and the kale salad blew her mind. She asked for a poached egg on top (ordered off the menu, but inspired by the egg that is optional with the burger), which took it to an entirely new amazing level as well... So much so that we told the waitress, and she informed us that those in the know actually come back specifically to get the kale salad with an egg on top regularly. Popcorn was amazing, as was the specialty burger, and the sorbet for desert. Couldn't say better things.Special Features:
- Always great food at AlliumdineindelrayDined on 8/31/2014We have eaten at Allium many times and the food is always great. A really innovative menu and we love the small plates, since we like to try a lot of different dishes. Service is inconsistent, but this time it was fine.Special Features:
- If you are in a hurry, eat hereSlowdownDined on 8/31/2014We arrived and the hostess escorted us to the table. The wait staff seemed savvy and assisted us in our beverage choice. She also recommended a small plate panzanella salad which we enjoyed. I ordered the chicken confit and my husband ordered the tagliattelle pasta with the egg on top. Our dinner was served within 10 minutes of placing the order. We had not even finished the salad. My chicken was far too salty and my husband did not see the reasoning behind adding a poached egg to the dish. They quickly gave me another selection from the menu. It was a very average arctic char. However, the overall experience was only average. Would not hurry back.Special Features:
- Mixed MealDRFNYVIPDined on 8/29/2014The appetizers were very good (roasted mushrooms, kale salad) but the entrees were limited and not that remarkable. There were a number of confit items and some sou vide too. What happened to good old grilled and roasted? Service was terrific.
- chilly but deliciousStuzziDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed the cuisine, but the room was a little chilly and influenced the ambience negatively. Wait staff could have been more attentive but the food was delicious, so we will return.Special Features:
- unexpected treat!SallyDined on 8/28/2014There were 4 of us traveling from Connecticut to Great Barrington and dining at Allium for the first time. The food was excellent--inventive and familiar at the same time. The local sourcing of food is greatly appreciated. Service was just right--helpful but not intrusive. We enjoyed every morsel! Thank you.Special Features:
- night before GB street fairMidcoastDinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014I was torn between ordering something that sounded good to my palate--and something I thought the kitchen would do well. I should have asked for advice, since my pappardelle fell short of my expectations. Otherwise and overall the food was very good. I was pleased--as I have been before--that an OpenTable reservation seemed to translate into a decent table at the restaurant. Corner table for three reset to accommodate two. Another note was that service--although slow throughout our meal--was quick to re-set tables as they became vacated, which I much appreciate. If I return I'll try to avoid a Friday night of a very busy week during August.Special Features:
- A little differentDiner7VIPDined on 8/22/2014Allium spins the menu choices. Unlike most restaurants which maximize the choices for omnivores, Allium has far more options for vegetarians than for meat eaters.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Berkshire GemCarlisleDined on 8/22/2014Allium has never surprised us with less than incredible food or service. I had a salad that was quite different, and quite good. The flank steak is a memorable main course. The steak was cooked to perfection and the sauce was the perfect accompaniment. My wife, who rarely eats red meat, tried it and was amazed. I will remember this meal in years to come. And, I will also remember our waitress who was ink'd all up and an incredible treasure. She was a "Wow!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Barrington StarJustUs2VIPDined on 8/20/2014Continues to be very creative and delightfully delicious.Special Features:
- ConsistentfabulousmealVIPDined on 8/18/2014Since transferring their chef from Mezze to Allium the food has improved DRAMATICALLY! So if you are like us and stayed away for the past few years, it is worth it to try the new menu… very delicious. Service was good, but uninspired, I think our server was not too excited about being at the restaurant that night. He was knowledgeable, but did nothing more to enhance the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allium...Eh!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Give pretense of a hippie, semi-gourmet restaurant. We were table of four seniors. Their special pizzas, both sausage and plain cheese, were strange tasting, probably from the basil-tomato sauce. None of us liked them. Other people may feel differently, as it is a personal thing. I had their gourmet hamburger/fries. The fries were hugely overly salted. The burger, which might have been terrific for some people, was also way overly salted for my taste. This may have been from the bacon-jelly that was on top. We made several comments to the waitress about the food, and she was absolutely not interested in hearing complaints. Deserts were good.
- AvajDined on 8/10/2014friendly, limited menu, good food, great location, nice spaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and deliciousSkiddieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was super fresh and delicious. We ordered several small plates to share and it worked for us. The salads, in particular, were inventive and very good.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food. Service WeakSarah205VIPDined on 8/8/2014The food was fantastic! We had the skirt steak for our main meal with a salad and deviled eggs for app. All was excellent! The service was less than par. Started with the drink order which was delivered, but no one asked if the late party wanted something also. The waitstaff did not know anything about the wine list ( a very modest, but good one). We were ignored for quite awhile. The meal was very late in showing, and the waitstaff didn't show up til they were ready to take a coffee/dessert order.Special Features:
- Fit for a large partynazzDined on 8/8/2014Allium has a couple of large round tables in generous space that make for a pleasant experience for a party of six. Service was markedly better than our last visit a couple of years ago. The menu remains remains quirky and uneven, currently dominated by small plates, with a few large-plate offerings. There is now enough variety, though, that pretty much anyone will find something to like, and the fried pickled onions are a must, really.Special Features:
- different and deliciousopenwideVIPDined on 8/4/2014This is a restaurant for those who like to take a different route. We enjoyed sampling a variety of small plates…….all very tasty. We capped it off with a yummee fruit crisp with ice cream. We left content and smiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialLolaDined on 8/3/2014Although there were some very different items on the menu they were nothing special. We were told to try the Truffle Popcorn. All three of us found it to be very salty. The deviled egg was ok and the salad was good. We also had tagliatelle with marscapone which was very rich and heavy while the salmon was very tasty. I am not a big eater so I had no problem with the small portions but some people might.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience all aroundMichael0219Dined on 8/3/2014Friendly service accompanies the limited but well appointed menu. Dishes are inventive, interesting and well presented. Enjoyable experience-accommodating staff.Special Features:
- Stable TableJustUs2VIPDined on 7/21/2014The food continues to be very good and inventive without trying "too hard". The service is casual - which is sometimes good and sometimes too casual for the mature crowd they draw. It has been stable and predictable which is good.Special Features:
- Delicious Farm Fresh Food - A+++LanceDined on 7/21/2014Real out of the box menu with lots of healthy and novel foods. Really the best restaurant in Great Barrington.Special Features:
- Just amazingPapaVIPDined on 7/20/2014Go for the food, go for the service, just go You cannot do betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, not life-changingLudwigaVIPDined on 7/20/2014Booked this on Open Table the night before and was told there were just TWO times available, 5:45 and 8 p.m. (Had hoped for 6:30). So it was surprising to see the restaurant fairly empty at 6 and 6:30. Food was good, portions modest, but there was a real lack of warmth, hostess wise, and it was surprising, for a place like this, to leave and have absolutely no one - not waiters, busboys, or hostess - say goodbye or even smile. (And we left a 20 percent-plus tip, in cash). Go figure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the wait!!justokaug2014Dined on 7/18/2014Visited Allium again this year when in the area - fond memories from last year kept us going all year! It did not disappoint ..... the food is creative, fun, full of flavor --just fantastic! We tell everybody who might be in the area to make a special stop!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original cooking, great flavorsmelmorVIPDined on 7/14/2014Visited Allium with friends on a Monday night. Among us we had 7 or 8 different dishes; great salads, great vegetarian choices, great entrees. We requested and were assigned a table off to ourselves and very pleasant for conversation, but the main dining areas were quite noisy. Wine list was adequate. Service friendly; a bit slow, but OK. Prices more than reasonable. A top find, particularly in the overpriced, somewhat mediocre Berkshires dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexceptional and service lackingappetitosDined on 7/11/2014Compared to other restaurants in this price level, the food was not remarkable. Although the restaurant clearly wants to specialize in inventive locally sourced dishes, we found it clumsy in execution and a bit humdrum for all the rave reviews on line. The most disappointing aspect of the meal was that the service was very slow and inattentive and our server was not informative. We waited nearly 20 minutes before she came to our table! Overall, we were surprised how much Allium missed the mark.
- Eclectic and originalLabradorDined on 7/5/2014Loved the variety and quality of the food! Would gladly do it again if we are in the berkshires again. The chef is very talented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindMerylDined on 7/5/2014Allium impresses upon arrival with an understated, somewhat rustic elegance. We had chosen it because it seemed to be one of the only high-end restaurants in the Berkshires that took reservations. It turned out to be a superb choice, and I look forward to returning next time I am in the area. The farm-to-table ingredients are combined with exceptional creativity, without being showy. The prices were reasonable. The service could be a tad more attentive--it isn't bad service, but it doesn't live up to the quality of the food. The overall experience was wonderful.Special Features:
- Berkshire DiningComptoirVIPDined on 7/3/2014Well prepared food with unusual combinations of ingredients. The service was a bit slow but engaging. Decor was pleasant and riffed on the theme of allium. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Focus on sharing the small platesAll4foodDined on 7/3/2014For this, our second time to Allium, I brought my parents, who wanted a traditional appetizer and entree dinner. Alas, the "large plate" dishes were limited (just 5 or 6 as I recall, and one was 86) and relatively pricey, though generally delicious. We each ordered a different "small plate" from the 15 or so options as an appetizer and all four were outstanding, especially the salads. Next time I'd share 2-3 small plates per person. Think tapas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 336 reviews are from the allium restaurant + bar reviews archive.