allium restaurant + bar
42 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, MA 01230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
allium restaurant + bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alliumberkshires.com/
- Phone: 4135282118
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30 pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00pm | Late-night bar 'til 2 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dan Hardy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From one-of-a-kind weddings and museum galas to dinner parties and cocktail receptions, Allium, in partnership with Mezze Catering + Events, provides exceptional event planning and design, and flawless execution. Our company works with the finest, most reliable vendors in the industry. We provide personalized service crafting customized menus of seasonal foods prepared from scratch and are committed to the local food movement providing a wide range of fresh, seasonal foods from neighboring family farms in the Berkshires and surrounding region. For more info, visit www.mezzecatering.com
- Private Party Facilities: We specialize in farm-to-table modern American cuisine. We would be happy to individualize your event using local products.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Kinser 413 528 2118
- Special Events: Allium Restaurant + Bar hosts special events for organizations, companies and individuals. For more information email email@example.com.
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: For public transportation within Berkshire county, contact Berkshire Regional Transportation Authority (BRTA) at (413) 499-2782 or (800) 292-2782. Great Barrington is also served by Peter Pan Bus (800-343-9999) and Bonanza Bus (800-343-9999) companies.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Railroad Street, at the end of Railroad Street in a municipal lot and in the parking lot behind the restaurant. During peak season and on weekends, parking may be challenging so be sure to allow enough time to find a space.
A word from allium restaurant + bar
Allium Restaurant + Bar serves casual contemporary American cuisine highlighting the best of the season in support of independent farmers and artisan producers using sustainable practices. Our chef sources local ingredients for a changing menu, paired alongside small-batch microbrews, local spirits and small-production wines. In addition to recognition as Boston Magazine’s Best New Restaurant, Allium has been granted an Editors’ Choice award in Yankee Magazine’s Travel Guide to New England. Allium serves dinner nightly beginning at 5 p.m. All major credit cards are accepted. Located in downtown Great Barrington, Allium is a member of Slow Food of Western MA and Berkshire Grown. The full-service restaurant is part of Mezze Restaurant Group which includes Mezze Bistro + Bar of Williamstown and Mezze Catering + Events, providing full-service event design and planning. For more info, visit www.mezzeinc.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
allium restaurant + bar - Best Restaurants in Great Barrington ›
allium restaurant + bar reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (24)romantic (21)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (17)hot spot (12)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Mixed MealDRFNYVIPDined on 8/29/2014The appetizers were very good (roasted mushrooms, kale salad) but the entrees were limited and not that remarkable. There were a number of confit items and some sou vide too. What happened to good old grilled and roasted? Service was terrific.
- chilly but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed the cuisine, but the room was a little chilly and influenced the ambience negatively. Wait staff could have been more attentive but the food was delicious, so we will return.Special Features:
- unexpected treat!SallyDined on 8/28/2014There were 4 of us traveling from Connecticut to Great Barrington and dining at Allium for the first time. The food was excellent--inventive and familiar at the same time. The local sourcing of food is greatly appreciated. Service was just right--helpful but not intrusive. We enjoyed every morsel! Thank you.Special Features:
- night before GB street fairMidcoastDinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014I was torn between ordering something that sounded good to my palate--and something I thought the kitchen would do well. I should have asked for advice, since my pappardelle fell short of my expectations. Otherwise and overall the food was very good. I was pleased--as I have been before--that an OpenTable reservation seemed to translate into a decent table at the restaurant. Corner table for three reset to accommodate two. Another note was that service--although slow throughout our meal--was quick to re-set tables as they became vacated, which I much appreciate. If I return I'll try to avoid a Friday night of a very busy week during August.Special Features:
- A little differentDiner7VIPDined on 8/22/2014Allium spins the menu choices. Unlike most restaurants which maximize the choices for omnivores, Allium has far more options for vegetarians than for meat eaters.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Berkshire GemCarlisleDined on 8/22/2014Allium has never surprised us with less than incredible food or service. I had a salad that was quite different, and quite good. The flank steak is a memorable main course. The steak was cooked to perfection and the sauce was the perfect accompaniment. My wife, who rarely eats red meat, tried it and was amazed. I will remember this meal in years to come. And, I will also remember our waitress who was ink'd all up and an incredible treasure. She was a "Wow!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Barrington StarJustUs2VIPDined on 8/20/2014Continues to be very creative and delightfully delicious.Special Features:
- ConsistentfabulousmealVIPDined on 8/18/2014Since transferring their chef from Mezze to Allium the food has improved DRAMATICALLY! So if you are like us and stayed away for the past few years, it is worth it to try the new menu… very delicious. Service was good, but uninspired, I think our server was not too excited about being at the restaurant that night. He was knowledgeable, but did nothing more to enhance the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allium...Eh!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Give pretense of a hippie, semi-gourmet restaurant. We were table of four seniors. Their special pizzas, both sausage and plain cheese, were strange tasting, probably from the basil-tomato sauce. None of us liked them. Other people may feel differently, as it is a personal thing. I had their gourmet hamburger/fries. The fries were hugely overly salted. The burger, which might have been terrific for some people, was also way overly salted for my taste. This may have been from the bacon-jelly that was on top. We made several comments to the waitress about the food, and she was absolutely not interested in hearing complaints. Deserts were good.
- AvajDined on 8/10/2014friendly, limited menu, good food, great location, nice spaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and deliciousSkiddieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was super fresh and delicious. We ordered several small plates to share and it worked for us. The salads, in particular, were inventive and very good.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food. Service WeakSarah205VIPDined on 8/8/2014The food was fantastic! We had the skirt steak for our main meal with a salad and deviled eggs for app. All was excellent! The service was less than par. Started with the drink order which was delivered, but no one asked if the late party wanted something also. The waitstaff did not know anything about the wine list ( a very modest, but good one). We were ignored for quite awhile. The meal was very late in showing, and the waitstaff didn't show up til they were ready to take a coffee/dessert order.Special Features:
- Fit for a large partynazzDined on 8/8/2014Allium has a couple of large round tables in generous space that make for a pleasant experience for a party of six. Service was markedly better than our last visit a couple of years ago. The menu remains remains quirky and uneven, currently dominated by small plates, with a few large-plate offerings. There is now enough variety, though, that pretty much anyone will find something to like, and the fried pickled onions are a must, really.Special Features:
- different and deliciousopenwideVIPDined on 8/4/2014This is a restaurant for those who like to take a different route. We enjoyed sampling a variety of small plates…….all very tasty. We capped it off with a yummee fruit crisp with ice cream. We left content and smiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialLolaDined on 8/3/2014Although there were some very different items on the menu they were nothing special. We were told to try the Truffle Popcorn. All three of us found it to be very salty. The deviled egg was ok and the salad was good. We also had tagliatelle with marscapone which was very rich and heavy while the salmon was very tasty. I am not a big eater so I had no problem with the small portions but some people might.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience all aroundMichael0219Dined on 8/3/2014Friendly service accompanies the limited but well appointed menu. Dishes are inventive, interesting and well presented. Enjoyable experience-accommodating staff.Special Features:
- Stable TableJustUs2VIPDined on 7/21/2014The food continues to be very good and inventive without trying "too hard". The service is casual - which is sometimes good and sometimes too casual for the mature crowd they draw. It has been stable and predictable which is good.Special Features:
- Delicious Farm Fresh Food - A+++LanceDined on 7/21/2014Real out of the box menu with lots of healthy and novel foods. Really the best restaurant in Great Barrington.Special Features:
- Just amazingPapaVIPDined on 7/20/2014Go for the food, go for the service, just go You cannot do betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, not life-changingLudwigaVIPDined on 7/20/2014Booked this on Open Table the night before and was told there were just TWO times available, 5:45 and 8 p.m. (Had hoped for 6:30). So it was surprising to see the restaurant fairly empty at 6 and 6:30. Food was good, portions modest, but there was a real lack of warmth, hostess wise, and it was surprising, for a place like this, to leave and have absolutely no one - not waiters, busboys, or hostess - say goodbye or even smile. (And we left a 20 percent-plus tip, in cash). Go figure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the wait!!justokaug2014Dined on 7/18/2014Visited Allium again this year when in the area - fond memories from last year kept us going all year! It did not disappoint ..... the food is creative, fun, full of flavor --just fantastic! We tell everybody who might be in the area to make a special stop!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original cooking, great flavorsmelmorVIPDined on 7/14/2014Visited Allium with friends on a Monday night. Among us we had 7 or 8 different dishes; great salads, great vegetarian choices, great entrees. We requested and were assigned a table off to ourselves and very pleasant for conversation, but the main dining areas were quite noisy. Wine list was adequate. Service friendly; a bit slow, but OK. Prices more than reasonable. A top find, particularly in the overpriced, somewhat mediocre Berkshires dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexceptional and service lackingappetitosDined on 7/11/2014Compared to other restaurants in this price level, the food was not remarkable. Although the restaurant clearly wants to specialize in inventive locally sourced dishes, we found it clumsy in execution and a bit humdrum for all the rave reviews on line. The most disappointing aspect of the meal was that the service was very slow and inattentive and our server was not informative. We waited nearly 20 minutes before she came to our table! Overall, we were surprised how much Allium missed the mark.
- Eclectic and originalLabradorDined on 7/5/2014Loved the variety and quality of the food! Would gladly do it again if we are in the berkshires again. The chef is very talented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindMerylDined on 7/5/2014Allium impresses upon arrival with an understated, somewhat rustic elegance. We had chosen it because it seemed to be one of the only high-end restaurants in the Berkshires that took reservations. It turned out to be a superb choice, and I look forward to returning next time I am in the area. The farm-to-table ingredients are combined with exceptional creativity, without being showy. The prices were reasonable. The service could be a tad more attentive--it isn't bad service, but it doesn't live up to the quality of the food. The overall experience was wonderful.Special Features:
- Berkshire DiningComptoirVIPDined on 7/3/2014Well prepared food with unusual combinations of ingredients. The service was a bit slow but engaging. Decor was pleasant and riffed on the theme of allium. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Focus on sharing the small platesAll4foodDined on 7/3/2014For this, our second time to Allium, I brought my parents, who wanted a traditional appetizer and entree dinner. Alas, the "large plate" dishes were limited (just 5 or 6 as I recall, and one was 86) and relatively pricey, though generally delicious. We each ordered a different "small plate" from the 15 or so options as an appetizer and all four were outstanding, especially the salads. Next time I'd share 2-3 small plates per person. Think tapas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AmbienceBerkshires4meDined on 7/2/2014Great service. We ordered lots of appetizers and they were all good. Fish tacos particularly tasty, as were the Beet salad and Kale salad. Lights went out due to the storm, we are by candlelight with a spirit of camaraderie.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitress was a wonderfulRobbiVIPDined on 7/1/2014The Farro salad, chicken confit and sticky buns were are scrumptious. The waitress advised us perfectly. She knew the menu inside out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every Dish a Treatlees49Dined on 6/30/2014This is not our first time at Allium, but we chose it for our wedding anniversary because it has a great variety of small plates that can be combined into a mini multi-course meal. I had farro salad, ham and white bean soup and pork carnitas and finished with a single scoop of Blue Marble organic vanilla ice cream. My wife shared the salad as well as a heaping plate of fried pickled red onions and fish tacos and finished with a rich chocolate budino. That should give you and an idea of the eclectic menu and the possibilities to mix and match. Excellent food and service in a beautiful setting that was a garage in the 1920s!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An inventive, excellent mealstevenewmanDined on 6/24/2014My wife, two kids (8 and 4), and I went to Allium this last Tuesday as a sort of belated anniversary dinner. It was a lovely meal, start to finish. The wait-staff were helpful and friendly, especially to our kids, without being overbearing. The olives and popcorn were big hits with our kids and the deviled eggs with bacon jam--the right mix of creamy and salty--were with us. Then we ordered a few small plates--a farro with snap peas and other seasonal veggies that was fantastic; a half order of the tagliatelle with lamb ragout, which was rich without being too much; and a mix of PEI mussels and clams in curry, coconut milk--a risk, but it worked. I had a rhubarb crumble with ginger ice cream. A wonderful place we hope to return to.Special Features:
- Vegan and carnivore friendlyBerksBoundDined on 6/7/2014As someone who is very mindful of their dietary choices, and the impact on the environment, animals and my healthy, I find Allium to be the best spot to cater to not only my needs, but the preferences of my dining companions, whomever they may be. I was pleased to see the Hudson Valley duck was no longer on the menu. The Farm it comes from produces foie gras, which is egregiously inhumane, and in addition to water pollution violations in 2010, in 2013 they were successfully sued for false advertising over their inhumane treatment of ducks. I know the chef at Allium is very mindful of sourcing her food and it is refreshing to note that item is no longer on the menu there.Special Features:
- Really?RegisteredDietitianVIPDined on 6/7/2014We were seated immediately, the server passed our table many times until we stopped her 15 minutes after being seated. She made an excuse that she didn't want to disturb us as one guest was on the phone he is an MD and had to take the call. One of us sent his meal back as overdone. He had made aLARGE point that he wanted his meat extra rare, it was medium towards well done. The nose ring and multiple tattoos our server had did not add to the enjoyment of the meal . Too too bad as Allium is conveniently located for us and usually serves excellent food.
- Great place in the BerkshiresljseVIPDined on 6/2/2014Flavorful food and inventive dishes. The menu is not same old, same old. And a helpful and friendly staff is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious and accommodatingFluffforagerDined on 6/1/2014During the Berkshire Film Festival, Allium was able to accommodate large groups of people late at night. They were practically the only restaurant that would seat a group of 8 people at 9:15. Service was fast and the food, as usual, was fresh, local, creative and delicious thanks to Chef Dare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rudeIluvfoodVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our waitress came off as rude and unfortunately that clouded our experience. But all of our dishes were tasty-- would recommend the deviled eggs and desserts. I'd go back, just have to make sure my husband forgets about the service-- otherwise, would agree with all positive reviews about the menu and food.Special Features:
- Good addition to Great BarringtonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014Relaxed friendly place, with tasty well prepared food.Special Features:
- disappointedsallenVIPDined on 5/23/2014We had fish tacos, pork tacos, beet salad, hedgehog mushrooms. Only the mushroom were good. Bread was good too I would not eat there again.Special Features:
- Bring back some of the old menu.regularDined on 5/23/2014Although food quality remains above average, menu choices have devolved. After being a loyal customer for over 7 years, now not so interested... too bad.Special Features:
- Allium Service Was OffRonneyRDined on 5/17/2014My Open Table request for the window table was not known by Hostess (she daus the reservation book showed "no requests"). Our server did not write down all orders and missed a glass of wine, had to double back to check dinner orders, and was confused about which of two pasta dishes my husband ordered. He specifiicaly asked for the vegetarian pasta, and she repearted the Italian name off the non-vegetarian pasta. My husband (who keeps kosher), wuold up eating a pasta dish with Pork in the sauce. The serve recognized the erros and appologized. The restaurant took the meal and drinks off the billed. Otherwise the food at Allium was a good as it has always been.