allium restaurant + bar
42 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, MA 01230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
allium restaurant + bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alliumberkshires.com/
- Phone: (413) 528-2118
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30 pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00pm | Late-night bar 'til 2 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dan Hardy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From one-of-a-kind weddings and museum galas to dinner parties and cocktail receptions, Allium, in partnership with Mezze Catering + Events, provides exceptional event planning and design, and flawless execution. Our company works with the finest, most reliable vendors in the industry. We provide personalized service crafting customized menus of seasonal foods prepared from scratch and are committed to the local food movement providing a wide range of fresh, seasonal foods from neighboring family farms in the Berkshires and surrounding region. For more info, visit www.mezzecatering.com
- Private Party Facilities: We specialize in farm-to-table modern American cuisine. We would be happy to individualize your event using local products.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Kinser 413 528 2118
- Special Events: Allium Restaurant + Bar hosts special events for organizations, companies and individuals. For more information email email@example.com.
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: For public transportation within Berkshire county, contact Berkshire Regional Transportation Authority (BRTA) at (413) 499-2782 or (800) 292-2782. Great Barrington is also served by Peter Pan Bus (800-343-9999) and Bonanza Bus (800-343-9999) companies.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Railroad Street, at the end of Railroad Street in a municipal lot and in the parking lot behind the restaurant. During peak season and on weekends, parking may be challenging so be sure to allow enough time to find a space.
A word from allium restaurant + bar
Allium Restaurant + Bar serves casual contemporary American cuisine highlighting the best of the season in support of independent farmers and artisan producers using sustainable practices. Our chef sources local ingredients for a changing menu, paired alongside small-batch microbrews, local spirits and small-production wines. In addition to recognition as Boston Magazine’s Best New Restaurant, Allium has been granted an Editors’ Choice award in Yankee Magazine’s Travel Guide to New England. Allium serves dinner nightly beginning at 5 p.m. All major credit cards are accepted. Located in downtown Great Barrington, Allium is a member of Slow Food of Western MA and Berkshire Grown. The full-service restaurant is part of Mezze Restaurant Group which includes Mezze Bistro + Bar of Williamstown and Mezze Catering + Events, providing full-service event design and planning. For more info, visit www.mezzeinc.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
allium restaurant + bar - Best Restaurants in Great Barrington ›
allium restaurant + bar reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (41)special occasion (18)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (12)good for groups (11)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fantastic FindMerylDined on 7/5/2014Allium impresses upon arrival with an understated, somewhat rustic elegance. We had chosen it because it seemed to be one of the only high-end restaurants in the Berkshires that took reservations. It turned out to be a superb choice, and I look forward to returning next time I am in the area. The farm-to-table ingredients are combined with exceptional creativity, without being showy. The prices were reasonable. The service could be a tad more attentive--it isn't bad service, but it doesn't live up to the quality of the food. The overall experience was wonderful.Special Features:
- Berkshire DiningComptoirVIPDined on 7/3/2014Well prepared food with unusual combinations of ingredients. The service was a bit slow but engaging. Decor was pleasant and riffed on the theme of allium. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Focus on sharing the small platesAll4foodDined on 7/3/2014For this, our second time to Allium, I brought my parents, who wanted a traditional appetizer and entree dinner. Alas, the "large plate" dishes were limited (just 5 or 6 as I recall, and one was 86) and relatively pricey, though generally delicious. We each ordered a different "small plate" from the 15 or so options as an appetizer and all four were outstanding, especially the salads. Next time I'd share 2-3 small plates per person. Think tapas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AmbienceBerkshires4meDined on 7/2/2014Great service. We ordered lots of appetizers and they were all good. Fish tacos particularly tasty, as were the Beet salad and Kale salad. Lights went out due to the storm, we are by candlelight with a spirit of camaraderie.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitress was a wonderfulRobbiVIPDined on 7/1/2014The Farro salad, chicken confit and sticky buns were are scrumptious. The waitress advised us perfectly. She knew the menu inside out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every Dish a Treatlees49Dined on 6/30/2014This is not our first time at Allium, but we chose it for our wedding anniversary because it has a great variety of small plates that can be combined into a mini multi-course meal. I had farro salad, ham and white bean soup and pork carnitas and finished with a single scoop of Blue Marble organic vanilla ice cream. My wife shared the salad as well as a heaping plate of fried pickled red onions and fish tacos and finished with a rich chocolate budino. That should give you and an idea of the eclectic menu and the possibilities to mix and match. Excellent food and service in a beautiful setting that was a garage in the 1920s!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An inventive, excellent mealstevenewmanDined on 6/24/2014My wife, two kids (8 and 4), and I went to Allium this last Tuesday as a sort of belated anniversary dinner. It was a lovely meal, start to finish. The wait-staff were helpful and friendly, especially to our kids, without being overbearing. The olives and popcorn were big hits with our kids and the deviled eggs with bacon jam--the right mix of creamy and salty--were with us. Then we ordered a few small plates--a farro with snap peas and other seasonal veggies that was fantastic; a half order of the tagliatelle with lamb ragout, which was rich without being too much; and a mix of PEI mussels and clams in curry, coconut milk--a risk, but it worked. I had a rhubarb crumble with ginger ice cream. A wonderful place we hope to return to.Special Features:
- Vegan and carnivore friendlyBerksBoundDined on 6/7/2014As someone who is very mindful of their dietary choices, and the impact on the environment, animals and my healthy, I find Allium to be the best spot to cater to not only my needs, but the preferences of my dining companions, whomever they may be. I was pleased to see the Hudson Valley duck was no longer on the menu. The Farm it comes from produces foie gras, which is egregiously inhumane, and in addition to water pollution violations in 2010, in 2013 they were successfully sued for false advertising over their inhumane treatment of ducks. I know the chef at Allium is very mindful of sourcing her food and it is refreshing to note that item is no longer on the menu there.Special Features:
- Really?RegisteredDietitianVIPDined on 6/7/2014We were seated immediately, the server passed our table many times until we stopped her 15 minutes after being seated. She made an excuse that she didn't want to disturb us as one guest was on the phone he is an MD and had to take the call. One of us sent his meal back as overdone. He had made aLARGE point that he wanted his meat extra rare, it was medium towards well done. The nose ring and multiple tattoos our server had did not add to the enjoyment of the meal . Too too bad as Allium is conveniently located for us and usually serves excellent food.
- Great place in the BerkshiresljseVIPDined on 6/2/2014Flavorful food and inventive dishes. The menu is not same old, same old. And a helpful and friendly staff is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious and accommodatingFluffforagerDined on 6/1/2014During the Berkshire Film Festival, Allium was able to accommodate large groups of people late at night. They were practically the only restaurant that would seat a group of 8 people at 9:15. Service was fast and the food, as usual, was fresh, local, creative and delicious thanks to Chef Dare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rudeIluvfoodVIPDined on 5/31/2014Our waitress came off as rude and unfortunately that clouded our experience. But all of our dishes were tasty-- would recommend the deviled eggs and desserts. I'd go back, just have to make sure my husband forgets about the service-- otherwise, would agree with all positive reviews about the menu and food.Special Features:
- Good addition to Great BarringtonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014Relaxed friendly place, with tasty well prepared food.Special Features:
- disappointedsallenVIPDined on 5/23/2014We had fish tacos, pork tacos, beet salad, hedgehog mushrooms. Only the mushroom were good. Bread was good too I would not eat there again.Special Features:
- Bring back some of the old menu.regularDined on 5/23/2014Although food quality remains above average, menu choices have devolved. After being a loyal customer for over 7 years, now not so interested... too bad.Special Features:
- Allium Service Was OffRonneyRDined on 5/17/2014My Open Table request for the window table was not known by Hostess (she daus the reservation book showed "no requests"). Our server did not write down all orders and missed a glass of wine, had to double back to check dinner orders, and was confused about which of two pasta dishes my husband ordered. He specifiicaly asked for the vegetarian pasta, and she repearted the Italian name off the non-vegetarian pasta. My husband (who keeps kosher), wuold up eating a pasta dish with Pork in the sauce. The serve recognized the erros and appologized. The restaurant took the meal and drinks off the billed. Otherwise the food at Allium was a good as it has always been.
- We returned the next night!BuongustaiaDined on 5/17/2014Three women friends -- all professionals, all well-traveled, who cook and love food -- in the Berkshires for a special weekend. We discovered Allium and it blew our minds. We returned the following night because there were SO MANY appealing things on the menu to try. Every dish had its own distinctive flavor in a welcoming, friendly, visually lovely environment. Tables well placed. Personnel both friendly and well trained. Food was superb, interesting and seasonal, wines interesting and well selected. If this were in our neighborhood we would be there every week with our husbands! This restaurant is a gleaming example of culinary excellence and warm hospitality. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulniiteoutDined on 5/11/2014My trip to Allium was a Mother's Day gift that proved to be wonderful. The food and service was excellent. The décor is very attractive and while the food is first class, casual dress is fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eclectic dining spot.PJnSJDined on 5/10/2014Nice eclectic dining spot. Local farms/producers are used wherever possible. Food is fresh and recipes are original. Great dining choice. As for the bar, they made the best Boulevardier I have had anywhere. We cannot see how anyone could possibly go wrong choosing this spot! We will be back next time we are in the Berkshires.Special Features:
- Allium : Queen of the garden and GBLabongoutDined on 5/10/2014Dinner with my daughter for Mother's Day was sublime at Allium, a restaurant we frequent.. We were punctually seated adjacent to a window with a vase of fresh daffodils, presented with 2 glasses of champagne (and dessert) compliments of my son who lives now in LA. We shared our truffled parmesan popcorn , veal meatballs with ricotta and veggies all locally sourced, a beet salad and a sublime chocolate dessert. Our waitress was informed and informative when we coudn't decide which entre to order-all the staff is upbeat, warm and delightful. Every eating experience there is pure food-heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love AlliumdineindelrayDined on 5/10/2014We have been to Allium several times and are never disappointed. We love to try a variety of dishes, so their small plates menu is just right for us and everything is absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious Meal in a gemLouiDined on 5/3/2014We had a lovely dinner in Great Barrington during a busy bicycling weekend. Allium was a wonderful place. We had a great meal that accommodated both one gluten-free diner and one vegetarian diner. We ordered all "small plates" and shared them. This meant wonderful variety - tasty and beautiful. Thank you!Special Features:
- Awesome!StrawberryfieldsforeverDined on 5/3/2014Daire and her crew served up outstanding local food with a creative twist to enhance the already great flavors from premium quality ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply DivineStella9399Dined on 4/26/2014This restaurant was simply divine. Great food, great service and two days later I am still talking and dreaming about the whipped lardo. Very creative. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Barrington find!bwicbVIPDined on 4/26/2014A one page menu so you didn't need to move through several pages to decide your food choice. Several choices for vegetarians :-) We especially liked the small plates since we could have an appetizer, small plate AND dessert! Desserts are yummy! Bar selection was good though I would have preferred greater selection of single malts. The waitress did seem a bit distracted at times but overall was good. Bussers kept water glasses filled and were attentive. Definitely will return :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience and foodTallPhilVIPDined on 4/26/2014Great food and good service. Unique dishes served hot and fresh. Local offerings.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014fried onions and fish tacos were great. Limited selection of entrees for non meat eaters.
- stumbledupon a gemrubesDined on 4/19/2014As new home owners in the Hudson Valley, we are devoting every weekend to discovering wonderful eateries. Last week, we spent the day in Great Barrington and happened upon Allium by happenstance. It was an incredible experience. We did not have a reservation, but the welcoming hostess was able to accommodate us quickly. The waitstaff is attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Menu is interesting and flavorful. We discovered how incredible farro could be...and for my burger seeking husband, one of the most delicious hamburgers to be found anywhere. This past Saturday night, we made a reservation!!!!Special Features:
- Great selections made to order!TtowndinerDined on 4/18/2014What a fabulous restaurant! It was recommended by a B&B owner in the area (Briarcliff Motel) and it did not disappoint! There are many delicious items to choose from as the menu is extensive and eclectic, appeasing everyone's palate. Each meal was fresh and it was easy to order for a gluten allergy as everything is made to order.Special Features:
- Improved!ToddVIPDined on 4/5/2014We've eaten at Allium for years, but the current menu is the best yet. The cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InnovativeLindaCDined on 4/5/2014When we first looked at the menu, we (being food conservatives) were a little puzzled by a few of the food combinations, some of which included foods unfamiliar to us. But we plunged in and were absolutely delighted. Everything was beautifully fresh and flavorful, and served in generous portions. The star of the meal, though, was the wickedly rich chocolate hazelnut budino with olive oil and sea salt. Now we can die happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!TinalnVIPDined on 4/4/2014After booking here we found out from Max, the restaurant manager at The Old Inn on the Green (fantastic B&B and restaurant) that he had eaten at Allium the night before. He recommended their small plates of Roasted Hen-of-the-Woods Mushrooms and also their bone marrow. Both were wonderful and my husband and I raved about the mushrooms. The bone marrow had to be scooped out with a spoon and spread on freshly grilled homemade bread. We had the clams and mussels which had a nice kick to it, and Korean short ribs. Total of 6 small plates between the two of us and we were hungry so polished off everything. Interesting cocktails, attentive service and restaurant was modern with clean lines. A wonderful surprise and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place! Great variedjerseyjDined on 3/4/2014Wonderful place! Great varied menu selections for a vegetarian. Plan on returning often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in BerkshiresAnonasaurusDined on 2/17/2014The sprawling menu gave us pause, as often unfocused cuisine tends to be subpar. Somehow they pull it off. Our dinner by way of France, Mexico, Thailand, and Texas was outstanding. Don't skip dessert. The chocolate Budino hits all notes of what a chocolate dessert should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such Interesting flavorsdineindelrayDined on 2/16/2014We love Allium! We've tried several of the small plates and entrees and love the variety and the combination of textures and flavors. The salads are particularly creative. We are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chef is obviously creative,BunnyDined on 2/15/2014The chef is obviously creative, the server, Huck, is wonderful. The bartender is slower than s---Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great wine,jeanneVIPDined on 2/14/2014Delicious food, great wine, lovely service, those tacos are the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy food delightHealthyDined on 2/13/2014Great Barrington gem... Tomato fennel soup not to be missed with their homemade curry paste. If you love vegetables there is no shortage and their farro salad with pears slices is tremendous.Special Features:
- excellentFeasterVIPDined on 2/7/2014Really delicious and friendly. I want to stress 'friendly' because we boycotted this place for years because of some serious attitude at the door one night. We don't know if there is a new owner but everyone working here is now warm, knowledgable and welcoming. And the food is inventive and oh so good. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/30/2013My husband and I ate at Allium for the first time in December and our only regret was that we had not tried it before. We enjoyed having a variety of small plates to share, getting an opportunity to taste different things on the menu . The food was delicious and presented beautifully. The waitress was so helpful, describing each dish and giving us guidance on a wine that would go with the various dishes we ordered. The restaurant was a little noisy but that won't stop us from coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.