114 Barnard Street
Savannah, GA 33127Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alligatorsoul.com/
- Phone: 9122327899
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Chris DiNello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that comfortable seats 12 guests with a minimum of 9 and a semi private room that comfortable seats 26 guests with a minimum of 20-22 depending on the day of the week. There is no room charge with a minimum guaranty.
- Private Party Contact: Maureen Craig 9122327899
- Entertainment: Overhead music, mostly blues, ie Buddy Guy, Etta James, BB King, John Lee Hooker with splashes of Johnny Cash, Allison Krauss, etc.
- Cross Street: Broughton/State
- Public Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available behind our building. This lot is rented to various business"s and is available for the general public after 5:30. There is two spaces that we recommend that our guests do not park in and they should contact us for any necessary explanation.
A word from Alligator Soul
Come, Eat...Drink...and Relax Your "Soul". Alligator Soul is a beautiful unpretentious fine dining restaurant. We offer a full bar, lounge with Romantic fireplace where guests can relax and have a cocktail before dinner or dessert after dinner. Alligator Soul"s credo: From the moment you walk in the door, until the moment you leave...it's all about you! We take pride in the care we give to each of our guests, the ambiance we provide, in addition to the upmost quality and value we place with every dish we make. Whether you have dietary allergic restrictions, or you choose a vegetarian or vegan diet, we can accommodate your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Alligator Soul - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
Alligator Soul reviews from OpenTable diners
270 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (202)fit for foodies (190)romantic (187)neighborhood gem (121)notable wine list (95)hot spot (47)good for groups (42)late-night find (30)vibrant bar scene (18)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014Eaten here every time I come to savannah. And every time the meals have consistently been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alligator Soul Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014I took my husband here fr his birthday. We have been looking forward to coming here since we first saw it. The food was beyond amazing. We got the shrimp and grits and alligator sausage appetizers.I don't really like grits but these definitely changed my mind! For dinner, I got the bison and my husband got red deer, the daily exotic special. Both were absolutely wonderful! The bison just fell apart and the red deer melted in your mouth.For dessert, we split the banana beignets- the perfect ending to the perfect night. The only thing that fell short was our waiter. He was nice, but seemed to be a little confused.He had to be reminded (by us) to give us the specials and did not embellish like the waiter next to us. He did get better through.Special Features:
- DeliciousKimBDined on 9/27/2014Great, personal service and delicious food. My husband said it was the best steak he's had in a long time, and my scallops were delicious. Don't be in a hurry, but otherwise you'll have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We started our night by waiting 15 minutes to seen by anyone. There were two other wait staff in the same room that did not give our table a second look. After we talked to the host about getting our waiter we waited again 5 minutes for someone to finally show up to take a drink order. There was no explanation of any of the items on the menu or within the wine list. Once we got our drinks taken things started to look up for us. The food was outstanding and the service was solid, once the restaurant acknowledged we were there.Special Features:
- Loves2dineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Food wine drinks amazing......But when we arrived manager pounced on our dinner party letting us know we had 5 -10 minutes to place our order or we would not be served.9:45 pm dinner reservation..kitchen closed @10...And he let us know.It put a damper on our dining for my birthday dinner!we told by management that they all wanted 2 go home..Clients r your money .....??Resteraunts are there to serve the client not rush a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!amyGDined on 9/26/2014What a delightful dining experience! Everything was top notch! The service was impeccable(loved the bar tender!), the selections varied and creative and the food just fabulous! This would be my #1 spot to dine next time I come to Savannah!Special Features:
- Wonderful timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2014Had a great time celebrating our anniversary. My wife & I think it might have been the best restaurant experience we have ever had. Food was awesome and the service was incredible. Very glad we spent our evening there.Special Features:
- Awesome Birthday DinnerLuvgr8tmealsDined on 9/26/2014On a recent trip to Savannah we received a recommendation about Alligator Soul as the best place in the city. Since it was my birthday we quickly made reservations. Wow, were we more than pleasantly surprised. Everything from reservation confirmation to after dinner drinks was outstanding in this beautiful farm to table restaurant. Everything was cooked to perfection and presentation was perfect. It was reasonably priced for the level of attention and wonderful food. It will be on our list for future trips to Savannah. Thanks to the staff, my birthday was an extra special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice atmospherejanjVIPDined on 9/21/2014I liked this room and the ambiance, but the food seemed to be good but not great. It seems that the chef concentrates too much on have unusual dishes. I had scallops which were fine,but not special. The server was little help with the wine selection and did not seem to be very knowledgable about the various offerings.Special Features:
- One of Savannah's bestNotAnExpertDined on 9/21/2014Oysters a'la Soul are a must for an appetizer! The duck and dumplings main course was fantastic as well. Service was top-notch, but the ambient music selection was questionable (sounded like AT40... OneRepublic and Katy Perry??)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We LOVED It!!!RobbOdomDined on 9/20/2014In a word, we LOVED it! The wine selection is impressive and the food is even better. My wife and I were in Savannah for the weekend and had heard of Alligator Soul. To begin, we shared the Oysters A la Soul and House Salad. Both were marvelous. In particular, the oysters come with a drizzle on the side that was amazing. For our entrees I had the Roasted Leg of Lamb, she had the Shrimp and Grits. I subbed an order of Frittes instead of the Brussel Sprouts - it was a good decision. They were great. When we finished, as we walked back to our hotel, we agreed that this was one of the best meals we have ever enjoyed. I simply cannot recommend Alligator Soul enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAnniversaryTreasureDined on 9/20/2014It was our anniversary and we wanted to experience something different for that special dinner. Alligator Soul hit that mark. Every waiter wished us a happy anniversary and even had a small dessert waiting for us on our table when we arrived. The menu was unique and very tasty. The house wines were bold and smooth. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't celebrate anywhere else!bigstupidjellyfishDined on 9/20/2014This by far was one of the best dining experiences I've had (in regards to both service and food)! We booked reservations here for our anniversary and before we even were seated they had two mini-torts with a "Congratulations" message on the table, if that's not a good start I can't think of a better one. The staff was excellent from the hosts to bartender to server, all extremely friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Our server was great and all of his suggestions were spot on! The ambiance was just right, dimly lit, hushed, and romantic without being overly so. From the start to the finish this was the best dining experience I've had!Special Features:
- SO Happy to FindPrincessFoodieDined on 9/19/2014This place was fantastic! The food was great and ambiance was great and the staff was unbelievable. My husband and I are notorious for finding the worst places to eat when we are on vacation BUT this place has restored our faith that we are not cursed. I came across the entrance while out exploring Savannah and the smells coming up the stairs were intoxicating. I asked around and people said their food was pretty good so I made a reservation. We were not disappointed. I got the Lamb with a shrimp and grits side and my husband got the Duck, all I have to say is WOW! Our friends got the Filet and the Suckling Pig and they were pleased as well. They also have some inventive and delicious drink concoctions I would recommend as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014We decided to go to Alligator Soul with five of our friends after eloping earlier that afternoon. I had informed them it was a wedding party and we were treated to exceptional service, a little "wedding gift" and special attention from the chef. The food here is AMAZING. My husband is a shrimp and grits aficionado and swears it was the most exceptional shrimp and grits he ever had. Cocktails are well thought out and they have some wonderful whiskeys for all tastes. They are well versed in where all their food comes from, knowledgable about wines and cocktails and very unpretentious and friendly. I feel this restaurant is a must if you are in Savannah!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful diningDocJill1Dined on 9/18/2014Great food and service. My filet was amazing. Shrimp and grits, green tomatoes & collards were delicious. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Experience!BoomerMcFallDined on 9/17/2014I was in awe from start to finish as the hostess was ever so polite and our waiter was spectacular in every way imaginable! Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing eveninggatewaygastroDined on 9/13/2014We arrived at 8:00 for our 8:00 reservation and were informed our table was not ready. After 20 minutes went by, we noticed there were numerous open tables and people who arrived after us were being seated ahead of us. The maitre'd then came by and told us our table was almost ready. 10 minutes later we started to question the maitre'd about the delay. He had no answers but eventually got seated. Bad start. Adam, our waiter, seemed great, but our food took forever and Adam disappeared. He never stopped by the table until long after we finished. And the food was average, at best, which is disappointing when you are paying $30+ for entrees. Very disappointing.
- A special night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I had reservations for our 21st anniversary this past weekend. The whole experience was wonderful! From the service to the food, we both enjoyed our first experience at Alligator Soul. The charcuterie plate was absolutely amazing! I think the olive alone was the best I had ever eaten. My husband had the oysters a la soul and he raved about the hot sauce (we should have brought some home). For our entrees we had the Gumbo and the Lamb and both were really good. Our server Megan was great, but I loved how it seemed like the whole staff took care of our table. The box with mini pecan pies wishing us a happy anniversary was a great touch and one we truly appreciated.Special Features:
- Why did I wait so long to dine?hknow2Dined on 9/13/2014This place is well advertised and in plain site but I refused to see it all this time unintentionally. My wife and I dined this past weekend and fell in love with the food, service and atmosphere. Sunny was our server and he knew his business, he was exact and very specific down to the details of what spices were used in the menu item. One recommendation is to add music, No background music, conversations from all the tables filled the air with a white noise, but it would have been nice to fill the air with some music. A second observation/recommendation is that the bathroom was like walking from a well setup restaurant to a local buffet bathroom that was plain and without thought. A change of tiles, counters and lighting would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RFWSSIDined on 9/13/2014We ordered the house salad, scallops, and duck breast. The salad was excellent. The scallops were served over risotto that was not fully cooked, as evidenced by the crunchy center. While not a fatal flaw, it did diminish from the overall quality of the entree. The duck was a creative entree with interesting flavors, but was served barely lukewarm, thereby diminishing the overall presentation and flavors. I would probably return and give them another chance, but it can be difficult to shed first impressions, particularly when there exist many other restaurants in the neighborhood.
- DiversionsrthatcherVIPDined on 9/12/2014In researching restaurants to visit for our first taste of Savannah, Alligator Soul came up with stars among a select few. Our early reservation and subsequent on time arrival found this restaurant in its prime time period seemingly short on tables and assistance. We waited for our experience to begin and when it did, our friendly waitress had an assistant in training, which we found to be a curious lesson in prime time Saturday night with a highly rated restaurant hitting 99% of its tables taken. While every course was very good, timing was not and so we started playing cards to pass the time between courses to the amazement of other diners and the management. Our dinner took nearly 3 hours while we saw larger tables come on go.Special Features:
- Outstanding and UniqueRemarkDined on 9/9/2014This was our second visits to Alligator Soul, the first being about 7 years ago. Being with friends this time, we hoped that they would be as amazing as they were the first time. They were! Alligator Soul exceeds any other restaurant in which I have ever eaten. Their service is next-to-none with their servers extremely knowledgeable and attentive to one's every need. Their food is tremendous with creative variations prepared perfectly. This is a restaurant where one can have a romantic meal, where every need is met, where class still remains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestefeakDined on 9/7/2014This was our second time at alligator soul and it just gets better and better. Always try the exotic special - we've had elk and red deer, both cooked perfectly. Chefs alligator sausage app was exquisite too. If you love food, and you love to try new things - this place is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findBevobevoDined on 9/7/2014We had such a super meal, as good as Chicago dining. We will return on our next trip to Savannha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014It was all around great. And the service was amazing. Every staff knew it was my wife bday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food & ServicemsgusaDined on 9/6/2014My first time dining here. We were greeted warmly by the hostess. Ambience is amazing. The food are excellent and lots of flavor. Our waiter is Andrew is very attentive and very courteous. All the workers are very friendly and that's rarely here in Savannah. This is the BEST dining experience I ever had since I moved here in 2009. I will definitely recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice of dishes.LuvoffoodDined on 9/6/2014Food was great chef took my taste buds on amazing adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- where's the gator?BlumaxVIPDined on 9/4/2014Upscale Cajun food but despite the name not much offered on the menu that involved alligator. This pleased my wife but I was looking forward to some unusual items. The grouper fish was excellent. My wife tried a vegan dish....did not work for her. She sent it back and ordered the grouper like I had. She enjoyed it much more. The waiter was very apologetic. The manager also was very apologetic. Did not offer any thing to make up for the return. At least he did not charge us for it.Special Features:
- Best meal in awhileLelab85Dined on 9/3/2014We came from Atlanta and were looking for a unique, delicious experience and found it at Alligator Soul. Cocktails, starters, main dish, dessert, and after dessert drink left me with the most happy stomach. We will be back! Atmosphere and service was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good dinnerhomeisbestVIPDined on 9/3/2014We enjoyed a very good dinner here. The menu was very interesting which made selections difficult. My wife enjoyed the house salad and said the scallops were cooked perfectly. She was skeptical of the persimmon glaze but found it tasty. The pomegranate risoto was wonderful. The spinach was good but should have been drained better as it left a puddle of green water around the risoto. The gumbo was good but not the best I ever had as I was hoping. Likewise the alligator/pork belly sausage was good but not the best either as other reviewers have suggested. The duck was excellent with interesting sweet potato puree and truffled sour cream making an interesting base. The banana beignets were wonderful.Special Features:
- WaldoDined on 9/2/2014The BEST restaurant in Savannah, an absolute MUST try for dining !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genius menuMrKeyDined on 8/30/2014Fantastic innovative cuisine with all the best of traditional and local recipes. The service was impeccable, again...the food was genius! We yankees had gator for the first time and loved it!Special Features:
- Best dinner in the south!pupl0verLAVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were traveling through Charleston, Beaufort, and Savannah and the entrees we has here were the best. We has the creole jambalaya and duck. Both were amazing. The house salad was wilted in dressing unfortunately and house bread not great, but the service and entrees made up for it!! Also, they were great about giving us a special table and honoring our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningKeptWomanDined on 8/30/2014We selected this particular restaurant after reading the reviews & on the request of a family member who'd been here once before & loved it. We were celebrating a birthday as well as another life milestone this particular night. The service staff made a point of mentioning these celebrations more than once which made our guests feel special. The food here is unique as well as delicious. Elk, bison, alligator as well as the traditional fare of chicken and beef are offered. Everything was delicious. The only complaint we had was that the seating near the bar was noisy which made conversation somewhat difficult. Suggest requesting a table toward the back of the dining area.Special Features:
- DisappointingSavregsDined on 8/30/2014We were unhappy from the moment we arrived when the host sat us at the worst table in the restaurant. I made our reservation a month prior expecting a quiet table for two. We asked to be moved and were seated in a back room with several open tables. I'm still not sure why we weren't seated there first. Our waitress (Kate) was very nice and was doing a great job until she got very busy with other tables. We waited a very long time for dessert and even longer for our check. The food was OK, not outstanding and not reflective of the prices. Overall, a huge disappointment. We will probably not return.
- Perfect NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014The specials were unique and were ordered. (Alligator Sausage and Deer) Grouper was the other main course, All of the food was cooked perfectly. The service was very good and our waiter, Adam was especially nice and accommodating. All in all a wonderful dining experience. Would recommend this restaurant to everyone without reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant Experience EverMSP828Dined on 8/30/2014We went to Savannah on a birthday weekend trip and had made dinner reservations for Alligator Soul. This was by far the best restaurant experience I have ever had. From the decore and music to the excellent staff service and fantastic food options, there was nothing that was off the mark. The staff were very attentive, wished me a happy birthday. I even got a small gift from the restaurant. We had cups of the Soul Creole and Shrimp & Grits, a half order of the baked oysters, and red deer from New Zealand. We live 5 hours away and I would drive to Savannah for the night, just to have dinner here again. There are truly no words to describe Alligator Soul other than you must go to experience it yourself. It was all fantastic.Special Features:
- One of Savannah's best for dining.SlopedinerrDined on 8/28/2014One of the best restaurants we've been to in Savannah. We had the ribeye steak and the pork loin, both of which were excellently prepared. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and everyone wished us well, and the pecan tarts were a delightful touch. The service was not overly solicitous; it's sub-street level location gives one the feeling of dining in a wonderful cave. Highly recommended, and wish they had a restaurant in Brooklyn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenonial dining experienceNYitalianFoodieDined on 8/28/2014The food was outstanding, started the meal off with gator & pork sausage which quite possibly could be the best sausage I 've ever eaten..and being an Italian from NY, that says a lot! I followed that up with the Red Deer Medallions which was paired perfectly with Brussels sprouts. My wife went with the grouper dish which she absolutely enjoyed. The server was attentive and personable. One thing they did that I think every restaurant should do is ask if anyone on the table has allergies. Raising a child with severe allergies is something we deal with on a daily basis, we found it extremely thoughtful that they asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.