114 Barnard Street
Savannah, GA 33127Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alligatorsoul.com/
- Phone: 9122327899
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Chris DiNello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that comfortable seats 12 guests with a minimum of 9 and a semi private room that comfortable seats 26 guests with a minimum of 20-22 depending on the day of the week. There is no room charge with a minimum guaranty.
- Private Party Contact: Maureen Craig 9122327899
- Entertainment: Overhead music, mostly blues, ie Buddy Guy, Etta James, BB King, John Lee Hooker with splashes of Johnny Cash, Allison Krauss, etc.
- Cross Street: Broughton/State
- Public Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available behind our building. This lot is rented to various business"s and is available for the general public after 5:30. There is two spaces that we recommend that our guests do not park in and they should contact us for any necessary explanation.
A word from Alligator Soul
Come, Eat...Drink...and Relax Your "Soul". Alligator Soul is a beautiful unpretentious fine dining restaurant. We offer a full bar, lounge with Romantic fireplace where guests can relax and have a cocktail before dinner or dessert after dinner. Alligator Soul"s credo: From the moment you walk in the door, until the moment you leave...it's all about you! We take pride in the care we give to each of our guests, the ambiance we provide, in addition to the upmost quality and value we place with every dish we make. Whether you have dietary allergic restrictions, or you choose a vegetarian or vegan diet, we can accommodate your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Alligator Soul - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
Alligator Soul reviews from OpenTable diners
283 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (202)special occasion (191)romantic (185)neighborhood gem (127)notable wine list (100)hot spot (50)good for groups (41)late-night find (27)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A local favoritemacGoogleDined on 10/28/2014The food was diverse and superb. Megan, our server, was well acquainted with the menu's nuances. The locals were impressed that we knew about this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great date spotmistyDined on 10/27/2014My husband and I spent 3 beautiful days in savannah. We had a romantic dinner at alligator soul on our 3rd night. My husband is a gumbo connoisseur and eats it everywhere we go. He declared the gumbo here to be at the too of his very long gumbo list. We split the enormous ribeye (and a bottle of wine) and it was excellent. Put this place on your list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/26/2014See Tripadviser review. Was once able to recommend, but no longer. No one there seems to be managing. Quality is hit or miss, and it's too expensive for that. This is a "doesn't care enough" issue. Comes from the top.Special Features:
- Best Savannah has to offer.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014One the best restaurants I have been to - I had Bison Osso Buco which was absolutely marvelous. Cooked to perfection and hit every taste bud of flavors of enjoyment including the marrow bone. I would order the same on my next visit to Savannah.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Find!AmazingFoodAmazingServiceDined on 10/23/2014This might be the best restaurant I have ever been to. I took my girlfriend here for our second anniversary. After we were seated they brought us a little gift for our anniversary which was super nice. All of the tables are well spaced - not too far and not too close together. I have only had 4 excellent servers in my entire life and the one we had was the 4th. He knew everything inside and out about the dinner menu, wine list, and drink list. But it wasn't just our server, the entire wait staff was amazing. They all helped each other which I was not used to. After each course they brought us fresh plates and silverware. If there were any crumbs on the table they use a special tool to scoop them off. It was amazing. I love this place.Special Features:
- Totally Enjoyable ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014The Suckling Pig was awesome. Our waiter Thomas was wonderful. For dessert you must have the chocolate carmel martini. It was so good, we went back the next night just to have another one!Special Features:
- Always GreatmsgusaDined on 10/21/2014This is my favorite restaurant. Service is always awesome. Food are great and delicious.Special Features:
- Exotic in SavannahDesDesignsDined on 10/20/2014I made this reservation on a recommendation from a blog for those who liked great food and willing to try something exotic. Food and service was excellent. So glad I went to Alligator Soul.Special Features:
- Our favorite dinner in SavannahJeffDined on 10/19/2014The oysters with crab and gumbo was rediculously good. Try their homemade hot sauce. Incredible !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!AMG22Dined on 10/18/2014I should have come back here repeatedly rather than wasting time on eating mediocre food at other less interesting restaurants. I order the pumpkin swordfish special, which was phenomenal! I also had an apple cider martini which was festive and had a lovely fall taste. The service was ok - I expected a bit more given the quality and reputation of the restaurant, but I've definitely had worse. All in all, I'd go back multiple times!Special Features:
- Great place to visit!SLandSRDined on 10/18/2014We visit Savannah about once a year and stay with friends who live downtown. They highly suggested Alligator Soul (since we've been to almost all of the non-touristy places in Savannah). The food was absolutely amazing! We will definitely suggest this place to friends and family who visit Savannah!Special Features:
- Alligator Soul Lives up to the HypeEricDined on 10/18/2014The first thing you'll see as soon as you walk in is super-friendly staff who are professional and extremely accommodating to all your dining needs. The next thing you'll notice is how beautiful the actual restaurant is and the wonderfully romantic aura it has about it; and while the service and atmosphere are second to none, they are upstaged by the food. I had the bison while my date had the lamb and they were both insanely delicious. Each bite was better than the first. However, the highlight of the meal was dessert. If you don't get the banana beignets while you're at Alligator Soul, then you're wasting your time. My date had such an amazing time at Alligator Soul that she took my back to her place. Thank you Alligator Soul!Special Features:
- ImpressedSRK1020VIPDined on 10/18/2014From the minute we walked in, we were impressed with the ambiance and staff. The food was fantastic and service exceptional. Even with a wedding reception at the restaurant, the service was impeccable. Good wine list and well thought out and executed plates. If we return to Savannah, it will be our first reservation.Special Features:
- Mixed ExperiencemarybDined on 10/18/2014Despite all the excellent reviews we had read, we were somewhat disappointed with our experience at Alligator Soul. Cheese plate appetizer was good. My husband's steak entree was excellent but I was very disappointed with my entree. I ordered the dinner-sized portion of gumbo: a big scoop of white rice surrounded by lukewarm gumbo which was mostly okra, peppers & onions--I found only a couple of small shrimp (but they had shells!) & a tsp. of crab. For $28, not what I expected. Waiter didn't check with us until halfway through meal & didn't offer to do anything (reheat? offer substitute? reduce charge?). My advice: don't order the gumbo!
- Great place for a dateJonMDined on 10/17/2014Great place for a date. They do a great job of ensuring that you have privacy. They separate the tables where you feel like you are one of only a few in the restaurant. It is amazing. The food was incredible.Special Features:
- Must goOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Came in for my anniversary and was greeted at the hostess stand with a congratulations and a personalized box of desserts. The drink list was amazing my husband said it was the best drink his ever had. The service was great and our food was excellent! Definitely coming back if I'm in savannah again and recommend as a must try if your visiting the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMD24Dined on 10/13/20141st time to Savannah, Anniversary Celebration, very accommodating staff! Best meal we had on our 4 day stay!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Top Southern RestaurantlayoutchaseDined on 10/13/2014Commanders Palace, Highlands in Birmingham, and any other top spot can and should make room for Alligator Soul. Attentive staff isn't obtrusive. Alligator Soul is a destination in Savannah, a must-eat!Special Features:
- Hidden GemTravelinsisterDined on 10/13/2014Wasn't sure what this resturant would be like but did we luck out. To start we had a wonderful little biter sent by the chef. The waitstaff were all wonderful and very helpful to each other. Food was presented beautifully but tasted even betterSpecial Features:
- Worth goingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/12/2014Aligator Soul is a cool location, downstairs feeling like you are somewhere else. The ambiance and decor is lovely. The special for an app the night we went was gator sausage. VERY GOOD! Cocktails were good also. My meal was Elk and was done to perfection. The other meal at the table was the suckling pig and it was really dry. Our server was ok not very friendly.Special Features:
- Highly recommendDeRhoDined on 10/12/2014You start by entering this wonderfully decorated basement-level space. You end wondering how soon you can come back. We started with house salads and and their baked oysters. So good we almost ordered more. Then we had the fish and exotic specials, which that nite were swordfish and elk, respectively. Both cooked perfectly and nicely accompanied. Perfect portions for enjoying the food. That said, we were too full for desert which was very hard to resist! Service exceptional. Beyond our experience, overheard the next table where the guy ordered a beer that they turned out to have rum out of. The bartender came out, asked a few questions and returned with 3 samples for the guy to try before ordering. That's customer first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kandace WestmoreKandacefromcailfDined on 10/11/2014I have dined all over the world, it was one of my most enjoyable dining expierence. 5 star all the way as soon as you walk in the door! The expierence was romantic, the chef came out and delivered are meals! The food was exquisite!! The waiter was full of information , and so helpful! What a wonderful expierence. Thank you so much for such a memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONStime2eatDined on 10/11/2014We chose to make reservations at Alligator Soul because it had a different menu and decided to give it a try. We are so glad we did!! It was a much more elegant experience than we anticipated. Our server was outstanding and provided a wonderful experience for us. I had the duck upon her recommendation and it was delicious. I was trying to decide upon that and the swordfish special so she ended up bringing me a little side of the swordfish. My husband had a delicious beef tenderloin to which she added some alligator for him to try. The banana beignets were a great end to a fantastic meal.Special Features:
- Great but a little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Very limited menu so make sure you check it ahead of time. The exotic game that night was boar, which I've had once before at a fancy restaurant, and tends to taste like bad hamburger meat. I went very safe with the gumbo. It was rather tasty, with some crab meat for good measure. My one gripe, and maybe this is just me, but they brought out the food too fast. The bread had just been put out and I wasn't even done 1 piece before he cleared that and set down the food. I wasn't in some huge rush.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014My husband and I enjoyed our anniversary dinner at Alligator Soul. It was a great spot for a romantic dinner. The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. We were asked if we were celebrating anything when the reservation was confirmed and our server was informed and brought it up when we were sat as well as asking if there was anything I needed to avoid as I am pregnant. The food was a little salty for my taste but my husband loved the meal. I'd recommend going with their exotic dish or chef's choice to get the most out of your experience. Overall it was a good choice for our celebration.Special Features:
- At the soul of it.WineworthyDined on 10/11/2014Unfortunate mishap: We had a 5:45 reservation (it was that or 9:30) and because we had no idea where we were going arrived about 10 minutes early. The restaurant was empty and there was no one at the bar expect the 2 handsome young bartenders who clearly emphasized with what I am about to share. We were greeted with disgruntlement. Annoyed that we were early? Having a bad day? Well, this individual was just plain rude. He wasn't the host..but the manager. We offered to have a drink at the bar and suggested he take his tude down a notch, to which he made a smart comment. Interestingly, when we asked the waitress his name, he showed up "I understand you asked for my name". His feeble attempts for makeup failed. Shame on you Melvin!Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceKieltyDined on 10/9/2014From the time we entered the restaurant until the time we left, It was a fantastic dining experience. Highly Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Food, service, and atmosphere was amazing. Loved this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Neighborhood GemsavnatDined on 10/8/2014We celebrated our anniversary last night and had a fabulous experience! Everything was spot on including the atmosphere, food and exceptional service. The chef personally delivered our oyster appetizer (fantastic) and wished us a happy anniversary! We had Oysters & Shrimp and grits to start followed by Diver scallops and the Hilbo. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/8/2014Service was impeccable. Food was extraordinary. That's all you need to know. Seriously, go here if you are looking for a special dining experience! I had the bison osso buco on our server's recommendation and it was so tender I didn't need a knife. Super delicious. Our party loitered at the end of the night and they didn't try to kick us out. They just slightly raised the music to give us the hint and off we went. Thanks, Alligator Soul!I would recommend this to a friend.
- It in The basement!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2014Quite difficult to find on foot, the signage isn't easy to find that it is downstairs!! Glad we went as the food and service were both excellent and paced as we wanted. Knowledgeable waitress, but she was rushed off her feet when others seemed to be standing around with nothing to do.Special Features:
- surprised by the food...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/7/2014Not in the best way. I had high hopes as this place is always crowded and rated high on Opentable. Maybe we ordered wrong...? I ordered the Gumbo. It was very flavorful but a little too salty. My husband and friend ordered steak and our 4th in the party ordered duck. They all commented on how the food was bland...entree and the sides. Every dish just missed the mark unfortunately, except I enjoyed the fried green tomatoes as a starter. Nice atmosphere... our waiter was knowledgeable. I wouldn't rush back.
- Down the stAirsyumyumDined on 10/6/2014The charcuterie is wonderful and all in house. Bone marrow for me and sausage and pickled veggies for Teri They have a nightly exotic game special and I had fall off the bone venison shirt ribs on a bed of black rice. Best part was our server Samantha who put up cheerfully with all our requests.she was worth the visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experience was awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/5/2014This is a very special gem in savannah. From the service to the food. Everything was outstanding. Sonny, our food server, was knowledgable, funny and wonderful. The chef is creative and super at his job. We had the special appetizer which was outstanding. I had the bison osso bucco and my husband had the bacon wrapped beef tenderloin. What a meal. We weren't planning on dessert but we had the banana beignet. I cannot say enough about this place. It is simply outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Oct 5, 2014JamesDined on 10/5/2014Party of 4, pleasantly greeted upon entering. Seated promptly. Server was Andrew, who was very familiar with the menu. Unfortunately I have 2 issues concerning my order. I choose the rib eye with pommes frites. The potatoes where greatly over-seasoned with salt to the point of un-edible. I asked Andrew to notify the chef. My other concern was the steak. Although it was delicious and cooked to perfection, it was not a rib eye . It was either a NY strip or a shell steak. All rib eye steaks have a fat line and deckle around one side. This did not.Special Features:
- Outstanding!VeggieGirlDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant is so cute with exposed brick and great art work! But the most impressive is the FOOD!! One of the best dishes I have ever had!! Vegitarian Dish with a mix of olives and figs and awesomeness! I would Highly Recommend this restaurant and will definitely go back next time I am in Savannah! This is a MUST do if you love exceptional food! The chef is extremely creative and really knows his flavors. Hats off to the chef!Special Features:
- Delicious eclectic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014The food was delicious, lots of flavor and the service was very good as well. I was visiting from NY and was very impressed with this restaurant. This is a place I would definitely come back to. Compliments to the chef and the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014It's an amazing restaurant!!! We had our first date there and that's where we celebrate our anniversary as well!!!! It was our 2nd anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saljaneDined on 9/28/2014Eaten here every time I come to savannah. And every time the meals have consistently been outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alligator Soul Birthday DinnerNew2SavannahDined on 9/28/2014I took my husband here fr his birthday. We have been looking forward to coming here since we first saw it. The food was beyond amazing. We got the shrimp and grits and alligator sausage appetizers.I don't really like grits but these definitely changed my mind! For dinner, I got the bison and my husband got red deer, the daily exotic special. Both were absolutely wonderful! The bison just fell apart and the red deer melted in your mouth.For dessert, we split the banana beignets- the perfect ending to the perfect night. The only thing that fell short was our waiter. He was nice, but seemed to be a little confused.He had to be reminded (by us) to give us the specials and did not embellish like the waiter next to us. He did get better through.Special Features: