Allgauer's on the Riverfront
2855 North Milwaukee Ave
Northbrook, IL 60062Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Allgauer's on the Riverfront
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.northbrookallgauers.com/
- Phone: 8476647999x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Seafood Buffet every Friday night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Josh Hill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Allgauer's on the Riverfront is the perfect host for a private party in the Pond View Room. Allgauer's would be delighted to host your next wedding, bridal shower, retirement dinner, breakfast meeting or family gathering!
- Private Party Contact: Holly Allgauer-Cir 8475097010x
A word from Allgauer's on the Riverfront
Exciting, contemporary twists on American fare - using only the freshest ingredients available - that is what makes Allgauer's on the Riverfront THE destination restaurant on the North Shore! Overlooking a gently flowing, tree-lined river, our award-winning restaurant offers only USDA prime steaks, amazing seafood entrees, tender pasta, fresh salads and decadent desserts made fresh daily by our Pastry Chef. Enjoy a comfortable yet sophisticated atmosphere, accented with beautiful decor, distinctive artwork, and soaring vaulted ceilings that compliment the exquisite culinary creations of the Chef. Allgauer's is the perfect setting for a business power lunch or a romantic dinner for two. Allgauer’s serves breakfast, lunch and dinner every day and is noted for a mouth-watering Friday Seafood and Prime Rib Night and Award-Winning Sunday Champagne Brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Allgauer's on the Riverfront - Best Restaurants in Northbrook ›
Allgauer's on the Riverfront reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (12)great for brunch (12)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)romantic (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014food could have been a little better, fake Baked Alaska, some meats were overcooked and tough. Had better there, hope this is not the usual. Be awhile before we come again and hope it will be for $40 a pop.Special Features:
- Same price, less choicesHaldenVIPDined on 8/24/2014It used to have cold-plates like portabella mushrooms, grilled red and yellow peppers and asparagus. The owner decided to stop serving those cold-plates. Well, I am going to stop going to this place. Thank you for the previous good times. You just lost my family.
- Dinner service was awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014The dinner was great, we both had prime rib, however the service was awful. Server never offered coffee or dessert. Brought the check before our dishes were cleaned off the table. We used a Yelp coupon for dinner, however they would not accept it for brunch even though were no restrictions on the coupon. The service at brunch was excellent at he brunch was delicious. So much food! The restaurant manager at brunch was rude and means about the coupon. Even saying that they didn't take the coupon which they did. We were there for our anniversary. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Not happyluv2eatVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very disappointed.... They changed the menu ..they raised all the prices 20 to 40% plus most of the items are now alacarte ...not a restaurant I would go back to and would not recommend to anyone.
- notpickyVIPDined on 8/1/2014plenty of good food with veges, potatoes, and soup or salad included--good bargainSpecial Features:
- Allgauer's for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Good place to meet friends for dinner. Good food and service with reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint, comfortable diningKmllrVIPDined on 7/23/2014Nice place to eat. Nice atmosphere. Great dessert bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerSatisfiedDinerDined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed pleasant dinner overlooking the DesPlaines River, wife and I were pleased with the quality and flavor of our meals. Very nice quiet dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighbor restaurantluv2eatVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food, service....relaxing restaurant ....you can have a nice quit conversation with your group and not have to talk loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DiningLadyandtheTrampDined on 7/18/2014I was impressed from the moment we entered until we left. We were greeted with courtesy and had wonderful service. My party all had the buffet and we still cannot stop talking about it. From it's eye catching set up to it's variety and most of all the tastes. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on banks of Des Plaines Riv.SatisfiedDinerDined on 7/16/2014Enjoyed wonderful dinner in Allgauer's Restaurant, with delightful view of the river banks, and pristine natural area. I had a great Napa Valley Chicken with tasty salad, my wife enjoyed the 6 oz filet mignon and salad, with a most tasy and attractive dessert bar. Wife likes her steak well done, we ask our waiter to send back the steak he quickly got it back to the chef. Got it back within minutes, she was most pleased with the steak. Wonderful evening, with the afternoon sun gently highlighting the dining room. Wildlife of the river including abundant native birds were most entertaining and attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Beat Seafood BuffetJackVIPDined on 7/11/2014Our server Jose Z was outstanding as was our hostess.Special Features:
- So-So on Holiday weekendLL04dl10VIPDined on 7/5/2014This is probably a great place if you are staying in the hotel (Hilton) on business during the week. As frequent weekend (this time fourth of July weekend) visitors to the area, we are always looking for new places to try. Servers were as helpful as they could be, but seemed short staffed plus there were two wedding functions that probably took some personnel away. Nonetheless, the food was OK, tasty, good selection and hot on arrival. Took awhile to get the check and get out, but that was related to what might have been the special service situation of that particular weekend. Attractive décor and great views if you walk around and look out the windows. Window seating would have been great, but was not an option for us.
- Algauers in NorthbrookRestaurantCritic13Dined on 7/3/2014Great food, great service. Friendly competent waiters. Great ambiance well worth the price. One of the Best Restaurants in Northbrook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 335 reviews are from the Allgauer's on the Riverfront reviews archive.
- Enjoyable lunch.barbDined on 6/28/2014I chose Allgauer's for our group of 7 ladies. We all enjoyed our meals. The atmosphere was quiet so conversation was possible.Special Features:
- quiet, romantic, elegantAnneVIPDined on 6/25/2014My husband and I were there for our anniversary. We were each treated royally from the moment we came in. Our steak dinners were great, as were the salad bars and dessert bar. The atmosphere was perfect and, might I add, it wasn't freezing cold as many restaurants are in the summer. I also loved that it was quiet and calming after a very hectic day. We sat by the large windows and enjoyed the greenery. I like this restaurant. It's elegant and classy but not stuffy. We have been here before and will return.Special Features:
- A Night on the RiverfrontBobbieDined on 6/21/2014There were 6 of us in our party at Allgauer's. We all enjoyed eating prime rib and a couple different cuts of steak. The food was presented nicely and everyone enjoyed his meal. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MisleadingCourtney12VIPDined on 6/15/2014It says "on the riverfront", so you expect they will have outdoor seating looking over the river. They don't. It's on the side of the building not even seeing the river and we couldn't sit outside on Father's Day because they said the mosquito's were really bad. If you are looking for a place to sit outside, this is not it.
- LittieDined on 6/15/2014Very good quality food. Caters to all tastes. Attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth it!TheFabulousForkDined on 6/15/2014The sunday brunch is a feast for your eyes...a complete choice of breakfast or lunch items...and everything is delicious, especially the fresh salmon. It was there for fathers day with my two children and wife...everyone left full and happy. It is a special place for special occasions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014Excellent to visit for a celebration. Service is top notch. Food was delicious with excellent serving portions. Menu choices have enough variation to please everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairfriendVIPDined on 6/10/2014I was disappointed with the service and the selections. The food was great but there was a limited menu of vegetarian and/or fish selections and the waiter was clearly anxious to be done with us.
- DirectorKRM14VIPDined on 6/7/2014Went for anniversary...32 years after having our wedding reception at Allgauer's. Very nice and quiet.Special Features:
- Excellent food, nice atmospherepjmratesDined on 6/1/2014My husband and I both had fish for dinner: walleye and salmon. It was well-prepared and delicious. We enjoyed the quiet atmosphere of early Sunday evening in this restaurant known for Friday night seafood and Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rogerVIPDined on 6/1/2014This was the first time we dined at Allgauer's. Quiet restaurant with good food. However, when we dined there on Sunday evening, there were only two waiters. They not only had to take care of their customers, but they also had to clean tables off which took away from servicing the customers in a timely manner. Had to wait a long time not only to get served, but to also get the check.
- WonderfulGreatVIPDined on 5/25/2014Food was great, scenery was very nice and it was a nice quiet dinner.Special Features:
- Nice hotel restaurantDalabudaDined on 5/25/2014We stayed at hotel attached to Allgauer's. We went on a Sunday night and ordered the special Sunday menu. We we disappointed with salad bar that came with this menu. It was not the tradition options. It was mostly mixed salads with few greens options. Could have been kept up better. The dressing were almost empty and the salads looked like they were left overs from the brunch they served earlier in the day. Other then that the entrees we were very good. It was a nice quiet romantic place to go for dinner.Special Features:
- luv2eatVIPDined on 5/23/2014Best keep neighborhood secret. You would not expect to fine a restaurant like this in a hotel....service, food is outstanding. It's not one if these new restaurant where you can't hear the people your with because of the noise level.Special Features:
- Anniversary DiningBoopieDined on 5/22/2014Getting there just as dinner hour started was great. Waitstaff was very attentive and Maitre Di sat us at a window table overlooking the Des Plaines River. Very calming and nice. Menu had a great number of food to choose from and waiter very helpful explaining a few dishes. Lobster Bisque and Onion soup was hot and very tasty. Homemade dressings for salads was very enjoyable,tho Hubby would have preferred iceberg lettuce only. Prime Rib was cooked just right and not too fatty. Lots of meat to eat. Veal with spinach/blue cheese topper was outstanding. Potatoes were cooked appropriately,and zucchini/green bean vegetable medley was good. Overall we had a great time with no rushing and waitstaff made sure glasses were always full. Great dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow wait stafftolucabirdVIPDined on 5/3/2014Wait staff was very slow to respond to any and all needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood HeavenDingwazz1Dined on 5/2/2014Friday Seafood and Prime Rib buffet was excellent. Many choices. Outstanding salads and side dishes. Decent lobsters. Prime rib was mediocre. Meat was dry and lacked expected marbling of fat, thus reducing flavor. Most other items were much better. Couldhave used gravy for mashed potatoes and drawn butter for the lobster. Otherwise an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best buffet i have ever triedJuliaVIPDined on 4/25/2014superb quality and quantity food. All-you-can-eat lobster is priceless...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantRobsy5111Dined on 4/13/2014Second time dining here but first time with the salad and dessert buffet. I epically enjoyed the salad bar as a compliment to my BQ rib dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sun BrunchHPdinerDined on 4/13/2014Very fresh and juicy oysters and crab legs. **Note that they only had orange juice from Florida Fresh (cartons displayed everywhere) and no other fruit juices. *The ad on the website stated various freshly squeezed juices but that is not accurate*. I was looking forward to the fruit juices (not much of a drinker), so was sorely disappointed. The cakes are so, so but the desert arts are to die for,especially pecan tart. Lunch offerings of beef and fish are mediocre, but breakfast foods, including lox is very good. Very good salads with shrimp. A bit wary to recommend to others based on inaccurate advertising...Special Features:
- Best keep secretluv2eatVIPDined on 4/5/2014This is one of the best keep secrets. Don't let the location fool you, it's not your everyday hotel restaurant. Service, quality of food and prices make this the best keep secret in North brook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/1/2014Great food, excellent service and atmosphere quiet and friendly. Server lady provided great service. Knowledgeable, prompt and great personality. All 3 of us were delighted with the total experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for quiet dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2014My wife and I have been to Allgauer's a number of times and have always had a nice, quiet enjoyable meal. This last time we were there two and a half hours eating and talking and the server was there when we wanted and left us to our evening the rat of the time. The service was exactly what we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond terrific serviceRfrancoDined on 3/23/2014Our brunch was excellent. The waiters never let our champagne glasses get below half full. The seafood was really good and the prime rib was tasty and juicy. It was a great place to celebrate a birthday at our table of 6. We will be back for the unlimited champagne and mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salad, soup, and vegetablessunysideDined on 3/20/2014Salad, soup, and vegetables were great. I had the shrimp and strip steak which were just OK, Couldn't taste the shrimp because of the cheese and heavy coating. the steak would have been better smaller but thicker so it could have been better prepared rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wouldn't eat here again for freeDrrobiVIPDined on 3/17/2014The food was worse than mediocre. There was hardly anyone else in the restaurant and I can see why. They should close this restaurant.