1410 Mt. Vernon St.
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.allaspinaphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 600-0017
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 1:00am
Monday - Thursday 4:30-6pm & 10:30-12am
Brunch on Sundays 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Kate DiPinto 2157630920x
A word from Alla Spina
Italian Gastro-Pub with 20 beers on tap and a 50 bottle beer list. Homemade sausages, baked pastas, large roasts and crudo bar selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Alla Spina - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Alla Spina reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (24)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (12)late-night find (12)special occasion (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good for a group with some timeyobiebsDined on 11/22/2014service here was a little slow and the duck pastrami in my sandwich was way overdone. But the great beer selection and delicious small plates (especially the pretzel bites and eggplant) were great. Went for a birthday dinner but it was a bit loud and not very private with some of the seating. Would go again, but would need to be the right situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighbsDined on 11/8/2014Disappointing food considering the source... greasy and overcooked. Pleasant atmosphere. Would be a better place to have a few beers and some snacks with a boisterous group of friends than to try to have any kind of real food with conversation.Special Features:
- Very nice neighborhood restaurantBarbDined on 11/8/2014Very good food in general. The mushroom side dish was especially delicious. Music was on too loud but they did lower the sound when we asked them too which helped. Nice atmosphere and great service.Special Features:
- greatfoodieDined on 11/5/2014everything was perfect and so tasty the service was great and the food portions just right!Special Features:
- qualityGoBlueDined on 11/2/2014Food and beverage quality are great. The biggest problem is the level of salt. Everything needed to be seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindLuvphillyfoodDined on 10/30/2014The food was delicious. I rated the burger the best in Phila. The Maple Fried Chicken was crispy on the outside and moist and meaty on the inside. We were very happy with the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HMETPhillydinerDined on 10/26/2014great place off Spring Garden, probably the best orange juice I have ever had. Great service from Jovana who was a joy with her style and smile. Loved the polenta, prices are good and decor simple but welcomingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great time!iluvfranceDined on 10/25/2014this food always exceeds my expectations! the menu is very well managed and there are always new amazing things to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big fanNrebillDined on 10/23/2014Love this place. I went opening week and have been back lotsa times. Food is great I've had 2 pig heads and everything else. The mortadella hot dog is amazing! And pigtails. The only downside is the bartender. The one with beard. He ignores you it takes 20 minutes to get a beer. I'd spend twice as much if he waited on me timely. I now refuse to sit at the bar. Let the wait staff fight for your beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alla Spina is a gem!MaryCaitDined on 10/22/2014I've been waiting to try this place for about a month now! Finally went for my birthday with my friends. Everything we ordered was amazing and a great choice. Our waitress was knowledgable of the food and wine/beer options. I'd go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Brunchnd1175VIPDined on 10/12/2014Went for brunch and the seemed to be very unorganized. Service was slow. Waitress forgot our appetizers and only brought out some of our side dishes. So some in our group received their meals while others only got part of theirs. Had to wait 20 mins for rest to get there. By that time food was cold. Had to ask for the fried eggs to be reheated. They ended up throwing the same eggs back on the grill and overcooking them and they became inedible. Definitely expected more from a Vetri restaurant. Won't be back. Staff seemed like they couldn't be bothered and hated being there. Won't be back.Special Features:
- 2nd time dining here, underwhelmedJohnndishon310Dined on 8/22/2014My wife and i ate here a few months ago and were blown away by the food. We returned the evening of friday august 22nd and the food was lacking. Fried chicken overcooked and dry, the beer fat french fries were kind of soggy and didn't taste fresh, the deviled eggs we loved so much last time had changed in a bad way. The pig pot pie was excellent, the choco taco was very tatsy. We were let down at the end of the meal. Good luckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expected.blueDined on 8/16/2014Server disappeared for 17 minutes before we could order. Not good on a sat night when you are hungry. Menu has cool selections like testa, bone marrow and pig tails, but for the uninitiated the selection is pretty boring. My guests would not return based on menu selection. And is it local (hogies?)? Is it regional Italian? Cana de cabra cheese from Spain? And all the stuff we ordered was very sweet with jam, agrodolce too sweet for my taste too. I really love Amis and osteria, they kill it. This one didn't. Sorry.Special Features:
- Love this place, but....JulesVIPDined on 8/12/2014food=amazing! The host and folks who seat you=amazing! We have been 3 times, twice in the past 2 weeks. The happy hour deal is amazing. The only frustrating part is, sometimes, the server appears to either be bothered or annoyed with having to get our drinks during the happy hour deal and purposely doesn't come by as quickly or frequently as desired. The first time, it was a male server that would constantly just hang out at the host reception area and avoid eye contact to come back over. The most recent time, the original server was fine, the replacement seemed like she'd rather be anywhere else, which is fine, we all have tough days, but good service goes a long way. Still, we'll be back again, the food and drink is just too good!!!!Special Features:
- Great Beer, Wine, and Small PlatesDJK1VIPDined on 8/2/2014Try anything on the menu and/or the beer/wine list. Think of it as high end bar food - superior quality. You'll never go wrong with any pasta in a Vetri restaurant. If you like pork, you'll be in pig heaven here. The vibe is very shabby-chic. Always a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretzel PigWowellitaDined on 7/30/2014We enjoyed sitting on the patio on a summer night. The pole bean salad was crispy and refreshing. We indulged in the beer cheese pretzels, that arrived in a fun, wooden pig serving bowl. I tried the pasta and my husband, the burger. Both were excellent. We also enjoyed the beer list, including a special Victory IPA (just for Alla Spina), and one belgian beer, Pizza Boy. It was a lovely, relaxing experience, until Sharknado came on TV, and began blaring through the restaurant. The whole crowd got into it, including the bartender, who was wearing a shark head costume. I'm glad the movie came on later in the evening, as it was a surprise to us that Sharknado was going to be played. But, overall, a fun, festive dinner experience.Special Features:
- The following 486 reviews are from the Alla Spina reviews archive.
- InventiveJackVIPDined on 7/20/2014Inventive, well crafted food, with a twist that will surprise you in a good way. The service was excellent as well. I recommend going with a variety of small plates to be shared with the table.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereRobbVIPDined on 7/20/2014Alla Spina is tucked away right off broad, so it might be missed by some- make sure to find it and check it out. Awesome atmosphere, one of the best in Philly. Really cool bar and lounge area. Good food and nice staff to add. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- BrunchaliciousChasDined on 7/20/2014My wife and I and some friends go out to brunch in Phila occasionally. This was one of the best ones we've had in a while. I had the biscuits, my wife had the cheese toast, and we had a few drinks. It came to about $35 a person, just about right for the meals we had. The brunch portions for some reason seem bigger than the dinner portions.Special Features:
- Missed a Little on ServiceTeksizVIPDined on 7/19/2014This was not our first time to Alla Spina, and we were not disappointed in the food. Not cheap for what you get, in terms of portions (sharing doesn't leave you with much on the small plates), but the quality is excellent and inventive. There was a mixup on who was serving us, so we either got double-teamed or ignored. It was not too crowded--especially for a Saturday night--so this seemed to be a weakness. But the beers were good and the food tasty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Been many times--generally always a lovely time. This visit, our waitress was annoyingly aloof, disinterested, and off putting. I am not holding this entirely against the restaurant, but if hadn't been forced into disassociating from the intimacy of my experience enough to "enjoy" myself and remembered her name, I'd make mention of it. Just unfortunate. The woman who happily filled our water glasses and her sweet manner were enough of memorable distraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and atmosphere were greatjrpthomasDined on 7/18/2014The hotel we were staying at had this on the list and categorized it as Italian. I certainly don't think it fits the typical Italian restaurant, but it was great. Lots of pork, which is my favorite meat. The pork pot pie was fantastic!Special Features:
- AlexBVIPDined on 7/17/2014Our group of seven was seated promptly, and received attentive service. We ordered a number of appetizers; Pig tails, Poutine, Deviled Eggs, Cheese Plate, Pig Jowl on Toast, Oyster Mushrooms. I believe the favorites were the jowl and eggs. My dinner was fried chicken, which was quite tasty. I live nearby, and have been here a number of times. I can't say I've ever had a poor experience food-wise, and the staff are great. If you're willing to try something a bit different, this is a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Took us 20 minutes to get seated even though we had a reservation. The service was fine, the food was fine, tasty but not spectacular.Special Features:
- Mostly a good thingAmericanDadDined on 7/12/2014A Friday night at this place was loud and energetic. As the evening went on the crowd steadily grew younger and louder. Not where you go to have a conversation. Even outside, it was loud. Very attentive service but a slow kitchen. Great beer list with a nitrogen pump. A few stand out dishes, eggplant fritti and bibb lettuce wraps were at the top. Dessert was a bust. Definitely worth a return trip, especially during good weather!Special Features:
- Great Combo of Eclectic and EnergyquotemynameDined on 7/10/2014Staff was enthusiastic, helpful, and attentive. Menu features many strange combinations and twists on traditional Italian dishes making for very interesting eating experience. Great selection of beer with what looked to be a rotating selection.Special Features:
- Maybe it was an off night?jmarielVIPDined on 7/5/2014I had friends from out of town and took them to Alla Spina. I have to say I was a bit embarrassed. The hostesses were great, that's about as far as the good service went. The waitress seemed to dial it up and seemed very 'off'. We witnessed lots of runners bringing food to wrong tables. For a table of four we got two orders of the pretzel bites and they came out with two share plates only, and then someone brought two more. They weren't hot or warm even. Still delicious. After dinner, which we all enjoyed, the waitress asked us if we wanted dessert and we declined. She then disappeared for about 20 minutes. Not leaving the bill or checking on our drinks. We had to ask for the bill and she passed by us multiple times before dropping it.Special Features:
- jerseyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Excellent beer list, although wish the draft beer list had a few more brews favorabl for summer heat. Wine list has some nice choices. It's a Vetri place so the food is great.Special Features:
- Great Dining, Friendly ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014EVERYTHING was perfect! The only complaint I have is the homemade BBQ chips that come with the paninis. They were ok, but not the flavor I was expecting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade Negroni on tap!IbetronDined on 6/29/2014Delicious drinks, tasty indulgent food, home made soft serve for the win!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner SpotMealborneDined on 6/28/2014Alla Spina is a fantastic little restaurant tucked right off of Broad St so its a little hard to find, but seek it out and you wont regret it. We went out for dinner on a Saturday night and there was plenty of room and we could actually have a conversation over the ambient chatter. The food is where Alla Spina shines, however. Everything we ate was fantastic and Im looking forward to trying out the rest of the menu. The beer and wines were fairly deep, but so were the prices. Some of the beers I wanted to try were only sold in 20 or so ounce glasses and most cost more than $20. All in all Alla Spina is a great restaurant just north of Spring Garden and not only would I recommend it to friends we will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014Food mediocre. Mussel& clams in bitter sauce. Understood play attempt w/ basil in Zuppa Ingles but it was just too heavy handed and flavors didn't blend. No stand out drinks. Better plan would be to skip dinner and have apps @ the barSpecial Features:
- food findtablefortoolsDined on 6/21/2014We tried a huge amount of the menu and everything was a new experience. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Outstanding beer list...great cocktails. Fun times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday NightAndiDined on 6/20/2014We had a great pork shoulder. This was the third time we're had it. Just as delicious as the first time. Great place which I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food-Great, Service-OKPhillyyuppieVIPDined on 6/15/2014Not sure what was going on, but it took more than an hour for us to get our entrees, which were a salad and a veggie burger. The food was great, but something was off with the service. Our waitress said they got slammed and were busier than usual for a Sunday, but our it was Father's Day, so we think they should have been prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another winner from the Vetri GroupNotallR4sVIPDined on 6/15/2014Fun, casual ambience. Great food and nice change of pace for a Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchmhinksonVIPDined on 6/8/2014Great brunch at Alla Spina. Great draft list, excellent curated bottle list, including fantastic reserve bottles (Has the Lost Abbey Mo Betta Bretta and the Nora Sour Edition from 2010!). Food is both eclectic (which I love, pig tails, poutine, oysters) and basic (which my wife loves, beef fat fries, pretzel nuggets, blueberry pancakes). Love when they open the garage doors and let the breeze in.Special Features:
- Not our preferenceSheldonDined on 6/6/2014We went to Alla Spina because we are staying at 600 on Broad. The food preparation was just not to our liking. Everything was over sauced: too much honey on the fried eggplants, too much oil with the polenta. Surprisingly the dinner best liked in our party was by the 11 yr old. There was no kids menu so the kitchen just boiled up a big bowl of rigatoni, no sauce just a touch of butter.Special Features:
- We love Alla SpinaKristinDined on 6/6/2014This is our local neighborhood gem - three blocks from our house. We're there all the time - especially on Friday nights for their great happy hour.Special Features:
- Doggie brunch!!EPattyVIPDined on 6/1/2014Brunch on the sidewalk was wonderful for both humans and canines (who had special menu choices of their own.) The french toast is fabulous and the beer list is terrific!Special Features: