1410 Mt. Vernon St.
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.allaspinaphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 600-0017
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 12:00am
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 1:00am
Monday - Thursday 4:30-6pm & 10:30-12am
Brunch on Sundays 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Kate DiPinto 2157630920x
A word from Alla Spina
Italian Gastro-Pub with 20 beers on tap and a 50 bottle beer list. Homemade sausages, baked pastas, large roasts and crudo bar selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Alla Spina - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Alla Spina reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (24)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (12)late-night find (12)special occasion (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- French toast worth eatingKeithDined on 3/2/2014I came for brunch and was surprised to find a french toast I liked. I usually prefer pancakes but their french toast sounded too good to pass up...and it was. Too often french toast is overly soggy and one dimensional but Alla Spina uses thick pieces of brioche that hold up to its delicious syrup bath. The poutine was also amazing and definitely a solid alternative if you are not looking for a sweet dish. Against my better judgement Iordered the donuts for the table as well. While they would be perfect to pair with one of the lighter entrees, I could not handle to sweet on sweet combination with the french toast (meaning i ate only 2 of the 3 donuts). Overall, the food and service were great. I'll look forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacechickVIPDined on 3/1/2014Another great meal, food and service were wonderful. The gnocchi are to die for....great experience.Special Features:
- Porker HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/28/2014We had a great time. The menu certainly is pork-o-centric so if you are a pork-lover this is the place for you. Highlights included the prosciutto cotto and bone-marrow small plates, along with the house special negronis.Special Features:
- Focus on the Italian beersBeersnobDined on 2/28/2014Focus on the Italian beers and you will not be disappointed. Food is good too!Special Features:
- Off the charts !BeanoDined on 2/27/2014Best food I have had in months. Sharing is the way to go. Sit at the Chef's counter and if you are a meat eater it is heaven. Must have the stuffed eggs, carpaccio, terrine. I absolutely cannot wait to go back. Negroni's on tap! Amazing! Service was wonderful. Everyone was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodopentablereviewerVIPDined on 2/20/2014Came here for a friend's birthday. Service was great but food was disappointing, esp for a Vetri restaurant group -- very heavy, overpowering and lacked subtlety. What should have been a delicious tuscan kale salad was filled with whole peppercorns so that every bite was overwhelmed by the peppercorn; the beer toast with egg and bacon was delicious but could have been from a diner; the pasta dishes were super rich and seemed more like a shepherd's pie; toast on the swordfish BLT was so soaked in butter that it was hard to taste the sandwich contents. Love a great rich meal but what's delicious is when the subtlety of the fats and salts come through -- this felt more like elevated diner food and not in a good way. Wouldn't return.Special Features:
- sunday dinner at Alla SpinalizaDined on 2/16/2014I used to live in Philadelphia and try to keep up with the restaurant scene. I have read a lot of wonderful things about Marc Vetri and his restaurants and really wanted to try one. My husband, two kids, my brother and his wife headed to Alla Spina for dinner on a Sunday night. The space looked to be a converted garage, but was very warming and welcoming on a cold, snowy evening. Everything we had was amazing, especially the french fries, the pig pot pie, the fish and last but not least, the wine and beers! We are already planning a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menuaklussDined on 2/16/2014This is a lovely restaurant. Although it has an industrial feel, the lighting gives it warmth and coziness. We went early in the evening on a Sunday and it was not very crowded, so the noise level was low. The service was excellent, and two minor problems we had (spot on a glass and lukewarm coffee) were fixed quickly and with a smile. The menu is very unusual and interesting with an emphasis on pork. The pig tails lived up to their great reputation and the soft pretzels with dipping sauce were also a standout. The beef tenderloin entree was tasty, but small. The desserts were delicious and big enough to share.Special Features:
- I've been here a few timesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/2014I've been here a few times for dinner and it's been excellent, but this was my first time trying it for brunch-- I LOVED it!! I highly recommend the polenta dish, the hash poutine, and the sausage and biscuits. Everything was great, and we all had bloody marys which were delicious. I can't wait to head back here for brunch!Special Features:
- It was okay…RaviDined on 2/15/2014It was average. I've had much better and much worse. More expensive than it needs to be. Good beer list.Special Features:
- First time at Alla Spina,GabyDined on 2/15/2014First time at Alla Spina, had a wonderful experience. Lots of small dish options. Tried the “sotto aceti” house made pickles, crab & horseradish deviled eggs (the favorite of our table), housemade pretzels w/ spicy beer cheese, poutine w/ guinea hen leg bolognese & mozzarella curd & the gnocchi alla romana w/ beer braised pork cheeks & fall spices. All amazing. Our main dishes were the italian bánh mi with roasted pork shoulder, chicken liver pâté, pickled daikon & carrot, & cilantro & the maple glazed fried chicken w/ mozzarella curd mashed potatoes, both to die for. Great service & great food. Would definitely recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- Everything we ate was delicious!HolbromaDined on 2/14/2014The food, service, and atmosphere were wonderful. Would definitely go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experienceer123Dined on 2/14/2014From the moment we entered until we left, my date and I had an amazing time. Our waitress was incredibly upbeat, helpful, and friendly and the food was even more outstanding. Not to mention Victory has a few special brews made specifically for Alla Spina, which is awesome. This restaurant is one of a kind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hasn't let me down yet!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/12/2014Alla Spina has yet to let me down. Whether it be splitting their savory poutine as a bar snack, or going all in with the maple fried chicken w/ cheese curd mashed potatoes...or pig pot pie [one of the best pot pies i've ever had]. In terms of ambience, theres always a nice buzz of people but it's never so crowded you feel rushed or that you'd be an inconvenience with a party of 4 or more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchTerryDined on 2/9/2014We found them in the middle of a snowstorm, and we were glad we did! The food was everything you'd expect from a Vetri restaurant. Flavorful, imaginative, well paired with beverages. The staff and bartender were very knowledgeable about the food and the beverages. We got some great recommendations on beer pairings with each course. Wonderful gastropub! And Negronis on tap!!Special Features:
- Good Food, Service LackingrichVIPDined on 2/9/2014Our party enjoyed the food when it was finally served. We had a party of 8 which included two small children. The wait staff took a long time coming to the table. Service was Inattentive throughout the meal. We had to ask for cream, for the coffee to be topped off among other things. THe kids were well behaved but their food was served 5 minutes or more after everyone else's food. Pancakes should have been easy. One thing I learned was how much servers influence the dining experience. Brunch should have been served more seamlessly.
- Loved finding this place..KathyVIPDined on 2/7/2014Loved finding this place.. great food and atmosphere. Only concern was getting someone to clear dirty dishes. Several wait staff walked by several times empty handed when it was very obvious that we were done. Our table was small so it would have been nice to have these dishes picked up quicker. Otherwise, food was delicious.
- Good not greatRoxygal100VIPDined on 2/2/2014My friend and I met here for brunch. The restaurant has a very cool and hip vibe. We ordered the misto donuts to start our meal. They were very good and the flavors were unique. I asked for decaf coffee but it was so very strong I had to send it back. They were very kind about my request to swap my coffee for tea. I order the chestnut crepe with eggs for breakfast. The food was good but the portions were small. The presentation was not very nice. My friend ordered the breakfast lasagna. She was not a fan but that might have just been a personal preference. I just expected a little more from a Vetri establishment. But, I would give this place another shot, maybe for dinner. I will add that the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- in from the burbsMR8BDined on 2/2/2014met family for brunch and had a very good time. The hanger steak was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer and okay foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014The place is jumpin! Loud and full of energy. Service is fun, informative and attentive. The food was pretty good but the portions were too small. The $10 cheese plate is a joke. Stick to the sandwiches and the beer and you can't go wrong. If you are looking for date night locale, look elsewhere. This is more of a high energy joint. I'll go back, but I'll be sitting at the bar.Special Features:
- Great food and beer selectoinEatingNDrankinDined on 2/1/2014We enjoyed a 7pm dinner here on a Saturday night. Huge mussels, really fresh jumbo prawns, and delicious pork terrine. They fit a lot of tables into the space but it didn't feel crowded. The beer selection was good, and well 'grouped' by sours, IPAs, lagers, etc. Our only complaint was that the bar was 'so busy' they gave us the wrong beer... twice... an IPA delivered when a Sour is ordered = not okay. Above all we would go back, just pay attention to your drinks and the receipt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork Fat and Negroni!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014Had a great meal on 2/1/14. Porky, gin soaked bliss!! Fun spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rtbirdDined on 1/31/2014This is my favorite restaurant I've discovered in the last year. I've been there multiple times and I'm always satisfied with the food. The burgers and sandwiches are great, as well as several of the apps. My absolute favorite is the honey-glazed fried chicken. There beer selection is on point and they generally have really great service. My only issue that that a couple of the wait staff are a little eccentric. I don't know if they're people that work in theater or what, but their language and mannerisms are a little over-the-top sometimes. Other than that, this place is top notch. Any time someone asks me for a restaurant recommendation in Center City the first place I mention is Alla Spina.Special Features:
- Craft beer heavenChelseaVIPDined on 1/31/2014Great beer selection, highly recommend the house beers! Was slightly disappointed with the dessert menu though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked It!SuburbanSallyDined on 1/28/2014Went during the week - not particularly crowded. Server did a great job answering questions - informative and friendly. Food was very good. Wedge salad with pig head was delicious and the deviled eggs were amazing!Special Features:
- Second times a charmNicoleDined on 1/25/2014This was the second time dining at Alla Spina and it was just as good if not better the second time around. The Beer cheese toast is a favorite and should not be missed. The pretzels and beer cheese were excellent. The beef carpaccio special was fresh and unique. Awesome and expansive beer selection. Alla Spina has such a laid back relaxed vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and niceJanetRDined on 1/25/2014Young feeling bustling ambience...a little pricey but affordable if ordering smart to share and try different things. We had shrimp in a yummy light spicy sauce and creamy cozy duck ragout. Get the kale with pink pepper corns (or another veg dish) to offset the richness. Finally, a place that doesn't over salt. A sweet potato tart for dessert was perfectly made and a knowledgeable, helpful, patient server made the dinner even more delightful. My second time and I loved it just as much as the first.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, good foodvanessalilyDined on 1/25/2014Maybe my expectations were too high for this restaurant, as Marc Vetri has such an outstanding reputation in Philadelphia, but 2 of the dishes we ordered were extremely overseasoned. While, overall, the food was delicious- our deviled eggs had FAR too much salt on them and our kale salad had so much lemon on it that you could not taste anything else. Also, the cheese plate left a lot to be desired- it was a paltry offering. The service was great and other dishes were very good- we ordered the sausage cheesesteak, cheeseburger, swordfish BLT and pig pot pie- all of which were well received. The extensive beer list is fun and the warm ambience was great on a snowy day! I would return and perhaps just be more mindful of my ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food: Great. Service: mehRamzDined on 1/24/2014Waited about 25 minutes even though I had a reservation for 3 and got there on time. Got a drink at the bar while I waited. Decent local and craft beer selection, but I can't comment on the bar's other offerings. Fried pig tails were deliciously rich, and the maple glazed fried chicken was juicy; it had great maple flavor without being doused in syrup. The service from our waitress belied the quality of the food. I don't mind it when wait staff leaves me alone to eat, but even I felt ignored. She checked on us once right after the food came out, then it took a while to get her attention again when we were done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSusanDined on 1/19/2014This was a first time for 6 of us at your restaurant. We looked at the menu on line, but it's hard to know what each "dish" is all about until you get there. We were pleasantly surprised as the food exceeded my expectations and that of our group. Things were hopping and so was the staff, pleasant, attentive and paid attention without hovering. Another great Vetri restaurant. We'll be back!!!Special Features:
- Heavy HandedMontgomeryDined on 1/18/2014Our food was very mediocre, I was expecting something much better from a Vetri owned restaurant. Food was clumsy and overly greasy and salty.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!MareDined on 1/18/2014Wonderful experience overall. Food was amazing and service outstanding!Special Features:
- brunch winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/12/2014Three of us had brunch here this past Sunday and it was really worthwhile. Started with oysters on half shell, fresh and tasty. Entrees well presented and very good especially the polenta and ribs which were wonderful. Cranberry sorbet, the best. My husband had the choco taco and loved it. We will return.Special Features:
- Another excellent dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/11/2014Another excellent dinner at Alla Spina! Highly recommend the eggplant, crab & horseradish deviled eggs, poutine, fried chicken, and the gnocchi. Oh, and definitely the choco taco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sadness.LamboDined on 1/11/2014Was initially very excited b/c there was a chance to order a suckling head, beef fat fries, potentially bomb fried chicken, pig pot pie (pot pie!), fried pigtails, and beers. I love anything pork related because me and pork are like pigs in a blanket - except for the fact that I'm a blanket that eats pigs that are wrapped in my blanket. Sadly, there was a funky stench in my suckling head (brought to my attention by my friend who is a farmer) - all i could taste was bung. Pigtails were great! Puff pastry on pie was fantastic - filling meh. Fries could be thicker and better. Service was inadequate - asked for extra toast never got it. Was never asked how the food was. Never got a side plate for my suckling head to eat cleanly. So sadnessSpecial Features:
- Early brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/5/2014Restaurant was nearly empty for a 10:30 Sunday brunch. They were happy to allow us to change tables to be warmer, and provided excellent service at an appropriate pace. Each of our three entrees was very tasty and filling. Coffee was amazing. Price was reasonable for type of restaurant. Wish they had valet parking early in day, but found a spot on next block.Special Features:
- My overall experience in AllaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/4/2014My overall experience in Alla Spina was great. My friends and I were seated right away. Also, the service was very good and timely. I specially liked the variety of beer they had.Special Features:
- An urban hip place fit for foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/4/2014Casual, urban hip setting, crazy good emnu choices, reasonable prices. Something for everyone, including the adventurous and the not-so. Definitely worthy of a return visit or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!StellaDined on 1/3/2014Everything from the beer milkshake to the choco taco was amazing!! I had the maple friend chicken which was just delicious. Will definitely be using Alla Spina as one of my go to restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSpedDined on 1/1/2014Our food was delicious as always. Sat in the lounge and could of fell asleep we were so comfy.Special Features: