814 S. Second St
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.apbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: (414) 672-6000
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peggy Magister
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from All Purpose
Urban Rustic North American Restaurant. Located in Milwaukee's Historic Walker's Point Neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
All Purpose - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
All Purpose reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (61)hot spot (56)special occasion (51)notable wine list (34)good for groups (27)romantic (26)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (15)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- If you haven't been...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We recommend AP when our friends ask for a new restaurant to check out. It's hidden, which adds to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014Loved this place the first time I went in November 2013. Just went back after much anticipation and it was nowhere near as good. Quality of food was average and our service was dull. Very disappointed.
- Explore your palate!Sas22syDined on 11/15/2014All Purpose is a great place to explore new foods and tastes that you would not normally find at a traditional restaurant. The dates are awesome and would recommend two orders for sure. We had a variety of dufferent small plates and cannot say that one was bad! If you are a foodie, this is your place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood treasureMMoonVIPDined on 11/15/2014Food was delicious, and service was attentive without even bordering on intrusive. The variety of menu options is just perfect from a herarty bolognese to delicate scallops with short ribs. cannot think of anyone who would not fine the perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Purpose (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014We had a wonderful time at All Purpose, we tried about 6 different small plates, from Bolognese to snail risotto. The dishes were innovative and delicious. The service was great, not rushed, even though the restaurant was busy. The server was knowledgeable, unobtrusive and friendly. The atmosphere was upscale bar casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YES!Jhm783Dined on 11/14/2014Don't hesitate to try this restaurant, everything about it is wonderful--decor (industrial with touches of retro glamour), service (very attentive, extremely informative but not annoying), ambience (energetic, fun, unpretentious) and food (even if everything else fell apart, this is all you'll need). AP might not be the most romantic spot just because of the noise level and close proximity of other diners, but PLEASE don't let that deter you from visiting this fantastic restaurant. Coming to this place might have convinced me to stick around the Midwest a little longer...Polar Vortex and all :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great job AP!BoolooBadgerVIPDined on 11/9/2014We went to All Purpose to celebrate my dad's 64th birthday. It was a wonderful evening - the staff was very attentive and helpful with providing information about the menu. We tried a total of 11 dishes (including desserts) and every single one was practically licked clean... AMAZING food, unique flavors, and delicious. The small plates format allowed us to try so many items (we had a party of 4 - so 9 plates was just about perfect) - be sure to save room for dessert! We had the molten chocolate cake as well as the best bread pudding I've ever had - great texture and a caramel sauce to die for. Thank you AP for a wonderful evening, we will be returning as soon as possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carpenterjimDined on 11/8/2014had a fun time with my siblings here for a reunion celebration. I don't drink wine but enjoyed the beer list. We ordered lots of different plates and loved most of them. The food kept arriving promptly as we ordered it. We shared all of our plates so it was tricky for my vegetarian sister. Small but comfortable dining room, great for a special occasion. Overall we had a great night and when the bill came it was smaller than I thought it would be!Special Features:
- Stick to the small plates.JRianGDined on 11/8/2014So happy I found this place by accident, I wanted to go to a different place around the corner. ;-) The cheese and charcuterie playes were amazing. As we're all of the small plates, from the top half of the menu, we shared. We should have skipped the entrees. Most were over-seasoned, the scallops were especially salty. But overall, this place was fantastic and I'll go back. I'll just stick to the shareable small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMarcDined on 11/7/2014Good here is outstanding. I have been several times and it is consistently excellent. Menu changes daily which is a plus. Only "negative" is that when crowded it can be very loud and hard to carry a conversation. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!LisaDined on 11/4/2014As always, AP was outstanding. I am very excited to have this restaurant in milwaukee - they have an interesting and ambitious wine list and the small plates are creative and well executed. We particularly enjoyed the burrata on this visit, the textures on the plate were so interesting and not what we expected (in a good way!). Best bacon-wrapped dates in the city as well. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodEpicureansDined on 11/1/2014Our second time at AP, this time we brought some friends. It certainly didn't disapoint and as we were more we could share more of the dishes. The food was just great, there was not one thing we ordered that we did not find delicious. Service was excellent . We will be back.Special Features:
- great small platespogoDined on 10/28/2014Astounding. Small door but great interior. Diverse small plates. One can eat at a table or the bar. Sophisticated atmosphere. Fantastic, unusual flavors and combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new favoritediningBADined on 10/23/2014Since AP made the top 30 list for dining in Milwaukee, we decided to try it. Everything was perfect from the minute we walked in the door and the hostess greeted us. Food and service were wonderful. My only negative is the tables are very close together tho the noise level was fine. Maybe everyone was so busy eating the exquisite food they were not talking and laughing very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe!MBSMilwaukeeDined on 10/21/2014This was a great spot for our date night! The fried cauliflower were delicious and I'd return for the fried chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No sign outsideeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Unless you had the address you may not find this place in a nondescript location adjacent to Stenny's . Food was good (tapas) but portions were small for the price of each the tapas. Had the veal loin, scallops (2), and chicken. Soup and salad were excellent for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyYummyDined on 10/8/2014This was my first time dinging at All Purpose, and it was lovely all around! The space is very welcoming and the decor and set-up seems very deliberate and thoughtful. We started with signature cocktails, and both were wonderful! Our appetizers (bread service, wrapped dates, and fried cauliflower) were all delightful, although it was actually fried broccoli, not cauliflower. Then for dinner I had the kale salad (delicious!) and pork buns (very good--I loved the hot sauce on the side) and my friend had a steak, which she said was excellent. We shared the cherry bread pudding for dessert, which was really well done. Overall, it was a great experience and I will be back. The service was really outstanding, as well.Special Features:
- OutstandingFoodie12Dined on 10/5/2014Absolutely loved it. My only regret is that it took my wife and I a year to finally dine here. Very imaginative menu. Flavors were amazing. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quality, average valueBrewtown82Dined on 10/5/2014The quality of the food, atmosphere, service, and presentation were top-notch, all while maintaining a casual, neighborly feel. My only gripe is that you don't get much food for your money. If you're very value-conscious this is not the place for you. Still, a definite, unequivocal recommend for the sheer quality and enjoyment of the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Purpose TreatYummoDined on 10/3/2014I am a repeat customer to AP and continue to be pleased with the variety and consistently delicious food.Special Features:
- Good, but not unforgettableMsGadgetDined on 9/27/2014We consider ourselves Foodies, and we are just back from Seattle where we dined at the James Beard award winner, Lark (Extraordinary!!! and one of our top five meals ever in an International list), and were somewhat disappointed by All Purpose. We prefer the food at Crazy Water! while the dishes were good at AP, nothing stands out as especially memorable either in taste or presentation. Service and surroundings were excellent, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Venison DelightBigEaterDined on 9/25/2014My wife ordered a venison dish (served with some kind of carrot puree) that was out of this world. I highly recommend that entree, if it's on the menu. I had the duck, which was also good, but couldn't compare to hers. The atmosphere at "All Purpose" is fine -- pretty laid back and welcoming vibe -- but the food is definitely the star here. Enjoy! I'll be back...for sure.Special Features:
- Overall Pretty Good!nicoDined on 9/20/2014We had a 930PM reservation and the place was full.As we walked in, the bar was pretty loud, and the hostess sat us in the dining area. The dining area was pretty small with one wall which was mostly covered in a mirror, and the other three walls of the room did the acoustics no favors.The dining room was so loud, I had to yell across a small table so my dining companion could hear me. There was a table of 14 near us, but everyone in this dining room was yelling and the room echoed all of the noise We ordered a stuffed Date/Bacon app which was excellent. I had the roast duck breast..perfect. My companion had venison with mushrooms and sautéed artichoke hearts. She loved it. If it was not as loud, an OK night would have been perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We absolutely love this place for its food. We especially enjoy the small plates so we can try and share several different dishes. One of our favorite places to go. Service needs some improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to share small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014I've been to All Purpose twice and enjoyed my experience both times. It's great for a group, but also for 2. It's fun to share different small plates, we really enjoyed the pork buns and the salad. A bit pricey though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was Fantastic!EricbMKEDined on 9/10/2014Ben Rocks! The wine was presented very well and the server made excellent food recommendations! Loved 3 out of the 4 dishes ordered, the octopus seemed over cooked other that that I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BridgetDined on 9/10/2014Tried All Purpose this week after having been meaning to do so for a long time - it did not disappoint! The waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable, and the food was EXCELLENT. We shared the Heirloom Tomato Salad, the Pork Buns, and the Flank Steak, followed by the Molten Chocolate Cake, all of which was absolutely incredible. Additionally, the bread service is a must, as the butter is to die for. I will definitely be coming back soon!Special Features:
- Such a great placeEpicureansDined on 9/6/2014We ate here for our Anniversary. Food was just delicious, we chose 4 small dishes which in fact was quite enough, plus bread and then a desert. We also talked and shared with some people at the next table which was fun. Our waiter was extremely good and so efficient as he seemed to cover quite a few tables. Wine and cocktails were just great and we had a super evening. Have promised some friends we'll take them there, so we' ll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Another great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014All Purpose consistently delivers great food, excellent personal service and a vibrant atmosphere, all at very reasonable prices. It's become a favorite of ours and we are planning to go back frequently. The grilled flank steaks, stuffed dates and arugula salad are exceptional. The bread pudding dessert topped of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't judge a by it's cover bookhate2cookVIPDined on 9/6/2014Very surprised to find this restaurant! Everything was very good. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deewassVIPDined on 9/5/2014Great restaurant. Food was excellent with incredible attention to detail and preparation. The flavors of all the dishes were fantastic. Service was excellent and allowed us to order in waves and did not rush each set of courses. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Love it!LauraVIPDined on 9/3/2014This was the second time I've brought in clients and have had great experiences and rave reviews from them! The ambiance is better suited for business/social event and the food is always wonderful!Special Features:
- Just outstandingJohnDined on 8/31/2014We had five dishes and were thoroughly delighted with all of them. Particular standouts were grilled octopus, pork buns, and duck breast on a rosemary risotto. When even the bread service had us rolling our eyes, we knew the All Purpose was going to get many return visits. Service was excellent, the room is wonderful, and our only (mild) complaint was that things were a bit warm on a late August evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superlative Small PlatesFoodie4FunDined on 8/31/2014A few evenings ago, my wife and I went to All Purpose for the first time. We had a great experience and will certainly return. The staff were friendly and efficient, arriving when they were needed but not overbearing or intrusive. We ordered 4 items: the duck, the shrimp, the baby squid, and the bacon-wrapped dates. Each dish was delicious and full of wonderful and surprising flavor. For example, every small plates restaurant, it seems, has bacon-wrapped dates on its menu, usually with a sauce based in honey or balsamic vinegar. All Purpose takes this staple of the small-plates menu and makes it memorable: the sauce is made of red bell pepper and gorgonzola and it is so unusual but so absolutely delicious that you consider ordering 4 more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!davyDined on 8/29/2014Everything was great. Every small plate we tried was absolutely fantastic. Also, for being a smaller sized restaurant, they were able to accommodate a 15 or 16 person group that came in as we were finishing which I thought was impressive. The only negative thing was that there was no air conditioning and it was a horribly muggy and humid day. So, it was a sweaty evening. I have to assume it was just broken that day, so I wouldn't let that discourage you.Special Features:
- Been there twice beforeBeentherebeforeDined on 8/29/2014They should have notified us in advance that the air conditioning wasn't working. They emailed twice to remind of the reservation--and they knew of several weeks of malfunction. Will consider not going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible seating on a hot nightLoveofqualityDined on 8/29/2014We got in before other groups and were seated in the back. After sitting for a while, we realized the A/C was broken and it was HOT. Why didn't we get decent table by the front where it was cooler if we showed up first? Oh, that's right - because we're fools. The food was ok and I felt sorry for the waiter, but it will be a long time before I head back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Back room way too loud when it full. Perhaps consider sound dampening surfaces on ceilings or wallsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with friends.WFBWIDined on 8/16/2014Always a wonderful time at this innovative and popular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of milwaukeedrccdubsVIPDined on 8/15/2014A must-visit for any food or beverage lovers! Walker's point is the new go-to for the food scene, and AP is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.