814 S. Second St
Milwaukee, WI 53204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.apbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 4146726000
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peggy Magister
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from All Purpose
Urban Rustic North American Restaurant. Located in Milwaukee's Historic Walker's Point Neighborhood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
All Purpose - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
All Purpose reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (34)hot spot (32)notable wine list (27)romantic (19)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We absolutely love this place for its food. We especially enjoy the small plates so we can try and share several different dishes. One of our favorite places to go. Service needs some improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to share small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014I've been to All Purpose twice and enjoyed my experience both times. It's great for a group, but also for 2. It's fun to share different small plates, we really enjoyed the pork buns and the salad. A bit pricey though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was Fantastic!EricbMKEDined on 9/10/2014Ben Rocks! The wine was presented very well and the server made excellent food recommendations! Loved 3 out of the 4 dishes ordered, the octopus seemed over cooked other that that I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BridgetDined on 9/10/2014Tried All Purpose this week after having been meaning to do so for a long time - it did not disappoint! The waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable, and the food was EXCELLENT. We shared the Heirloom Tomato Salad, the Pork Buns, and the Flank Steak, followed by the Molten Chocolate Cake, all of which was absolutely incredible. Additionally, the bread service is a must, as the butter is to die for. I will definitely be coming back soon!Special Features:
- Such a great placeEpicureansDined on 9/6/2014We ate here for our Anniversary. Food was just delicious, we chose 4 small dishes which in fact was quite enough, plus bread and then a desert. We also talked and shared with some people at the next table which was fun. Our waiter was extremely good and so efficient as he seemed to cover quite a few tables. Wine and cocktails were just great and we had a super evening. Have promised some friends we'll take them there, so we' ll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Another great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014All Purpose consistently delivers great food, excellent personal service and a vibrant atmosphere, all at very reasonable prices. It's become a favorite of ours and we are planning to go back frequently. The grilled flank steaks, stuffed dates and arugula salad are exceptional. The bread pudding dessert topped of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't judge a by it's cover bookhate2cookVIPDined on 9/6/2014Very surprised to find this restaurant! Everything was very good. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deewassVIPDined on 9/5/2014Great restaurant. Food was excellent with incredible attention to detail and preparation. The flavors of all the dishes were fantastic. Service was excellent and allowed us to order in waves and did not rush each set of courses. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Love it!LauraVIPDined on 9/3/2014This was the second time I've brought in clients and have had great experiences and rave reviews from them! The ambiance is better suited for business/social event and the food is always wonderful!Special Features:
- Just outstandingJohnDined on 8/31/2014We had five dishes and were thoroughly delighted with all of them. Particular standouts were grilled octopus, pork buns, and duck breast on a rosemary risotto. When even the bread service had us rolling our eyes, we knew the All Purpose was going to get many return visits. Service was excellent, the room is wonderful, and our only (mild) complaint was that things were a bit warm on a late August evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superlative Small PlatesFoodie4FunDined on 8/31/2014A few evenings ago, my wife and I went to All Purpose for the first time. We had a great experience and will certainly return. The staff were friendly and efficient, arriving when they were needed but not overbearing or intrusive. We ordered 4 items: the duck, the shrimp, the baby squid, and the bacon-wrapped dates. Each dish was delicious and full of wonderful and surprising flavor. For example, every small plates restaurant, it seems, has bacon-wrapped dates on its menu, usually with a sauce based in honey or balsamic vinegar. All Purpose takes this staple of the small-plates menu and makes it memorable: the sauce is made of red bell pepper and gorgonzola and it is so unusual but so absolutely delicious that you consider ordering 4 more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!davyDined on 8/29/2014Everything was great. Every small plate we tried was absolutely fantastic. Also, for being a smaller sized restaurant, they were able to accommodate a 15 or 16 person group that came in as we were finishing which I thought was impressive. The only negative thing was that there was no air conditioning and it was a horribly muggy and humid day. So, it was a sweaty evening. I have to assume it was just broken that day, so I wouldn't let that discourage you.Special Features:
- Been there twice beforeBeentherebeforeDined on 8/29/2014They should have notified us in advance that the air conditioning wasn't working. They emailed twice to remind of the reservation--and they knew of several weeks of malfunction. Will consider not going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible seating on a hot nightLoveofqualityDined on 8/29/2014We got in before other groups and were seated in the back. After sitting for a while, we realized the A/C was broken and it was HOT. Why didn't we get decent table by the front where it was cooler if we showed up first? Oh, that's right - because we're fools. The food was ok and I felt sorry for the waiter, but it will be a long time before I head back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Back room way too loud when it full. Perhaps consider sound dampening surfaces on ceilings or wallsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with friends.WFBWIDined on 8/16/2014Always a wonderful time at this innovative and popular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of milwaukeedrccdubsVIPDined on 8/15/2014A must-visit for any food or beverage lovers! Walker's point is the new go-to for the food scene, and AP is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressedmia3iveDined on 8/14/2014We went here for my dad's 65th birthday - a group of four. We all decided on the Foodie Week menu. Everything was wonderful, from the kale salad with miso dressing, to the pork buns, and stuffed dates. Three of us had the scallop main dish and one had the hanger steak entree. The flavors were all there. Dessert was to die for - well the chocolate pot of pudding/mousse was ....b/c that is what we all had. They even brought out a wonderful selection of cookies and ice cream for my dad's birthday treat. The service was wonderful. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great foofie findAlbertoDined on 8/13/2014The food was fit for a foodie. The foodie week tasting menu offered several varied and unique tastes. All were paired nicely. Our waiter suggested the perfect wine match which was a the lower end of the price range. A nice touch. The music was at a level which made quiet conversation somewhat difficult. Overall AP was a great experience. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishsydzieDined on 8/12/2014Very good, loved the pork buns, bacon wrapped date, scallops and steak. They were all small small plates, but for me that was enough. The chocolate dessert was so so.Special Features:
- mkesupperclubberDined on 8/12/2014Amazing food - went during Walker's Point Foodie Week and the service and food were consistently fantastic. The wine list was versed but a little on the high end for my budget - no wines under $42/bottle.Special Features:
- Better than advertisedDinnerfor2Dined on 8/10/2014Both the Mrs. and I were told about AP by separate friends...since they know our like for small plate and eclectic dining. The food was excellent! Very approachable and not pretentious at all...yet the dishes melded complex flavors and allowed us to simply relax and enjoy. The dates and the Pork Buns are excellent examples of this and they are highly recommended. And, what often makes or breaks a meal (regardless of the food) is the server. We had Anders as our server and he was outstanding. We will be returning to AP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Very impressed with my first visit to All Purpose, definitely will be back. Tried several appetizers, salads and entree choices and were thrilled with each. Prices were very reasonableSpecial Features:
- Great!lsj712Dined on 8/6/2014Great food, service and ambience! The halibut is the best I've had anywhere! Huge menu, with something for everyone. What can I say? It's the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in Walker's Point!KatsDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful spot for shareable plates. The food was terrific - creative and tasty. The service was wonderful. Among the dishes we tried was seared scallops with a fried apple puree which was incredible! See my complete review of their food with photos on my blog at www.delish-dish.com! (In restaurant review index under Milwaukee)Special Features:
- Can't wait to get back!LauraVIPDined on 7/29/2014Took some clients out for a lively, very enjoyable dinner. Our group of 5 enjoyed 8 or 9 shared plates with help from our attentive server. Décor is very hip, the bar was generally full throughout our visit and while there was great energy, it was very comfortable to talk. the food was outstanding! Easy to recommend.Special Features:
- great food every timebougieDined on 7/25/2014Always a good meal! Love ricotta gnoochi, halibut and the cheeseburger...pork rillette is worth it..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Fries!BacookDined on 7/25/2014This was my second visit to AP and I tried new plates. All were delicious. The only repeat were the French fies because they are so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great restaurant in MKEEckInMKEDined on 7/25/2014The dining scene seems to have exploded in Milwaukee over the last decade, and more and more of the recent entries, like AP, focus on small plates. Not all of them do it well, but AP does and brings both creativity and skill to play. Each of the five dishes we ordered were delicious (although a bit more cheese in the stuffed dates would improve that dish, I think), and there were plenty of others that piqued our interest and will have us returning in the future. A great wine list, great service, and an intimate dining area that encourages neighboring tables to show-and-tell, AP is too hopping to be romantic (at least on this particular Friday night it was), but it's absolutely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice! But overpriced!2epixofoodsDined on 7/25/2014We did enjoy most of the dishes we ordered, but they were "small"... and pricey. Our bill was $140.00. We couldn't find a wine to suit our palettes, so we settled on a $50.00 bottle of French Sav Blanc. Not worth it when you don't love it! We may try again, but not in a hurry. Dining out should not make you so price conscientious, that you don't enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBrewcityfoodieDined on 7/25/2014Loved AP. Unique choices,nice atmosphere, good affordable wine list .Special Features:
- SEABASS KICKED BUTTCulinaryeducated3topDined on 7/20/2014I dined on a sunday evening at A.P. and the ambience seemed nice. artistic but elegant. Menu seemed easy to read. I went with two non-foodies and they cleaned their plates. I had the seared Sea Bass, which didn't look seared, but was delicious anyways. The entree came with fennel confit, sesame potato Rosti, finished with Rhubarb butter, which was studded with the vegetable. I also cleaned my plate. I love rhubarb in contrast to my childhood, and the sesame seeds, surprisingly brought harmony to the dish. every part of the team worked together. The only issue we had was that the dining room was very warm. We were even sitting next to the open windows, with shorts on, and had a good sweat going. Turn on the A/C, and u get 5 stars.:)Special Features:
- NiceEdnDeeDined on 7/19/2014My wife and daughter and I had a real nice time at AP. Great food, service and atmosphere. Loved it.Special Features:
- Hot, stifflingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014We're sorry to say that despite an outdoor temperature of 72, the restaurant was hot, steamy and intolerable. This is a nice restaurant, and we dressed up just a little as it was Saturday night and it was my wife's birthday. She said as we were being led to our table she wouldn't be able to sit through a meal because of the heat. We asked and were told the air conditioning doesn't work well. So we left, before being seated -- we had no choice. We had a great dinner there last winter. I guess now we'll wait until the snow flies to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent foodPewaukeeKathyDined on 7/17/2014Dates with bacon and goat cheese were outstanding, as was sea bass (wonderful crust, complex rhubarb sauce) and pork tenderloin/risotto. We skipped dessert due to our own time crunch. Service was a bit perfunctory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great vibeWiscoeatsDined on 7/16/2014Every dish was awesome, and wine was perfect match. Best dining experience in Milwaukee that I've had in a long time. Interesting menu choices and everything was really tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- take a groupbabsDined on 7/5/2014more people = better opportunity to try even more small plates!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedBcommonDined on 7/5/2014We had heard great things about AP & decided to give it a try for our anniversary. We tried an assortment of small plates. While the food was good, nothing really blew us away. The pork buns & kale salad were our favorites, but even those weren't that exceptional. Our waitress was nice, but for those wanting a non-rushed experience, this is not your go-to. We were literally in & out in less than an hour (on a Sat night 8:00 reservation). It almost felt like a chipolte atmosphere in how they seemed focused on turning tables. We even had several dishes arrive faster than our drinks, which didn't leave a good impression. Defeated purpose of a romantic dinner. Maybe suited for larger groups, but it's a very small venue. I wouldn't recommend.
- Definitely going backMfmeierDined on 7/5/2014I had such a lovely meal at All Purpose last weekend. Everything from the atmosphere to the service to the food was amazing. Definitely going back and would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeGaryVIPDined on 7/5/2014We visited AP for first time. We had gone to their sister restaurant across street (Crazy Waters) and liked it. This was a place where small plates ruled. We ordered oysters and a cheese plate, both of which were very good. We also shared a watermelon salad, scallops, and halibut. Each was tasty, with various flavors matched nicely. We ended with a tasty dessert. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.