140 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://alkymists.com/
- Phone: 6503213514x
- Hours of Operation:
Serving nightly dinner and weekend brunch.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Jared Combs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Bryn Carmassi 8773329689
- Cross Street: High Street
- Public Transit: One block from the Palo Alto Caltrain stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking on the surrounding streets. On our block on High Street (one-way at our location), there is a public parking lot to the left, and a multi-story parking structure to the right.
A word from Alkymists
alkymists melds world fusion street food bar/lounge menu with herb-infused liquor & cocktails. We will hold monthly culinary classes geared towards low income/single parents, childhood malnutrition, and other philanthropic topics. alkymists will sell house-branded wine, jarred goods, and be available for catering and special events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alkymists reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (9)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)romantic (3)special occasion (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Birthday DinnerSCresidentDined on 10/18/2014I wanted to take my girlfriend to a new restaurant for her birthday. We are foodies and it's hard to find places where the menu tries new flavors together in simple ways. The service was great and our waiter was helpful and attentive. We started with fantastic cocktails and tried a couple of appetizers. We always split our food so decided on a brussel sprouts and bacon salad and had the braised ribs for an entree. We finished up with the tres leches bread pudding with homemade chocolate ice cream. Decadent and well worth it. Loved it!Special Features:
- Great appetizer platesmorrDined on 10/17/2014Great service! Ambiance: Dimly lit (which I would think of as more romantic), but the acoustics are lively which makes it on the noisy side. Hard to hear conversation across the table. Food: The appetizer plate is fantastic (but you have to like garlic!) 5 different delicious spreads with bread for dipping. Entrees & desserts were disappointing. Charred brussel sprout salad: delicious except for the over-abundance of "dijon vinaigrette" dressing. Couldn't taste the mustard for all the oil in it. Smoked chicken salad: not enough variety on the plate. Lamb burger: ok, not great. Pizza: overloaded with cheese. Signature cocktails: very unusual! I'd return for appetizer plate and try one of the cocktails which would be enough food for dinner.
- Hard to read menufoodie324VIPDined on 10/11/2014Inexperienced servers. Menu was hard to read and confusing. French fries were soggy.
- Still working out Kinks, but Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014New places need a few weeks to work out service kinks, which made for a highly entertaining comedy of errors for our dinner. Overall, it really just made for a funny experience. Food still turned up in a decent amount of time (they kept trying to give us someone else's meal, which was why, when ours finally did show up, it was in a reasonable amount of time). Food was really quite good. Beers very reasonable. Cocktails (the one i tried, the Neighbor) was reaaaaallly good! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Cuisine/Creative Cocktailsmaven88Dined on 10/10/2014Overall, Alkymists was an enjoyable stop and I can see it being popular for both drinks as well as large groups looking for a different kind of cuisine than the rest of uniform University Avenue. As another plus and worthy of an extra star is their idea of Foodanthropy you see on their menu and receipts. We chatted with the manager for an extended time and learned that it is their goal of philanthropy as part of the restaurant's identity. They hope (and are currently recruiting) to throw workshops for low income and domestic violence women to show them both opportunity and life skills. It's a lofty goal and one that we see rarely in the restaurant world (East Palo Alto's Four Seasons Quattro another) but should clearly be applauded.Special Features:
- inadequate attention to foodhappynmad2Dined on 10/7/2014We were very disappointed with this restaurant: Inattention to food and wine and over attention to ambience. My dinner was barely lukewarm and when I told the waitress, she brought it back to at the kitchen, returning after a brief wait, with a new plate which also was only somewhat warm, not hot. The meat and puree would have been delicious if hot. My partner's dinner , a shrimp and mussel dish was undercooked, about a third of the mussels unopened (and therefore inedible). The wine list was ridiculous….a sampling from many countries but not of the better wines of the types. It is hard to select when the wines are so completely unknown. We will not return.Special Features:
- Interesting menu, friendly servicegogirl1213VIPDined on 10/7/2014Alkymists definitely has a great concept for their menu, including inventive well drinks and unusual food combinations, including small plates, that work. There seemed to be some execution issues on some of the plates, but it's a brand-new restaurant - hopefully with time the food is more even. Our server was outstandingly friendly with great timing!Special Features:
- Great new addition to downtownKMgeeDined on 10/6/2014I met up with friends for drinks and appetizers here. We can't wait to come back. Dumplings, pork belly tacos, bacon pizza and crepes were all stellar. And I enjoyed the infused tequila as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but Service LackingVivaBulldozerDined on 10/4/2014The food at Alkymists was great. Their street food menu and salads were excellent. The drinks made with their infused spirits were very interesting and certainly something you don't find at other restaurants. The service was a bit slow. We waited for things we wouldn't normally wait for at other restaurants. I'm sure that will be worked out as they get more time to work out the kinks. They are very new.Special Features:
- Great food, work on the serviceSimbradyDined on 10/4/2014This was their first weekend in business, so I expected that some things needed to be worked out. First of all, the food was really good, a fusion of styles that was interesting and delicious. The staff need some training – while the principal person who served our table was ok, though not really knowledgable on the details of the selections, the other staff were not very good at all – the person who gave us our meals just put them in the center of the table and after we asked is this family style or individual we were told 'your choice' and walked away; the person who takes the plates away took them (twice) while we were still eating and wiped down the table. As a new restaurant, I thought this feedback would be appreciated.Special Features:
- Alkymists2foodiesDined on 10/3/2014Arrived 9 minutes before our res and were sent to the bar tho there were several open tables. Cocktails were interesting and good. We had to flag down the host to finally get a table. Waitress was very nice and eager to please, but the food was mediocre. Did not taste truffle in the burrata and consistency and taste were not appealing. Pork belly tacos were ok. Brussels sprouts in the salad were hard and rubbery. Lamb tasted ok, but the risotto was very soupy. Broth for the mussel and shrimp rouille was tasty. Beignets were the dessert special and they were hard and cakey, not light and fluffy.Special Features:
- needs improvementWatermelonVIPDined on 10/3/2014food was clearly not cooked to order but was pre-cooked and reheated and plated. Food came out EXTREMELY fast after placing the order but was cold although the plate was very hot. weird. Food wasn't all that tasty some okay some not so good. Drink menu was confusing with infusions and elixirs with wait staff adding to the confusion of how they all match up and how it all works. drinks weren't very good at their price point. wait staff seemed out of step with what was going on.
- AlkymistsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014Pricey. Very slow service. Been twice- had the "special" both times...those were excellent. The appetizers (tried 3) were average at best. VERY loud.Special Features:
- Good addition to the neighborhoodgastropodDined on 10/1/2014Exciting decor, modest prices, hefty portions and an interesting array of options. Some kinks in service still to be worked out (e.g. I got an email the next day mistakenly saying I hadn't shown up for the OpenTable reservation) but that's not surprising for a place that's just opened.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting New SpotKyleDined on 9/27/2014Overall we had a very well conceptualized and executed dinner. So often "street food" in a restaurant is simply stripped down entrees plated differently, but the folks at Alkymists did an amazing job of capturing the essence of street food from all over the world. The food itself was super well prepared, the brisket in the crepes was flavorful and tender, and the crepes themselves were practically perfect. We were wishing we could try more plates, always the mark of an exciting menu. The bar and wine lists are very well done, the list short but thoughtful and well priced, the house made infusions are fantastic. A few hiccups in the service, but that is to be expected the first week being open.Special Features:
- Great new restaurantPBHATVIPDined on 9/27/2014Terrific drinks, good (but not outstanding) food, nice ambiance. Good vegetarian options. Slightly overpriced. Definitely worth checking out, especially for a special occassion. Great mission, contribution to the community.Special Features:
- It is OKNoComingBackDined on 9/27/2014I find the interior design the most interesting part of this place. Also, the concept of the restaurant is very appealing - healthy choice and science-geeky. However, since we are vegetarians, the choice is very limited and the taste is rather blend. The cocktails were not brought over until we were almost done with our dinner, and we had to ask for water three times until we finally got some. So most of the time, we were eating our dinner without cocktails or water - not very nice. The cocktails were not very good. I had one with lime but I can only taste lime, nothing else. Overall, I don't think we will come back to this place.
- New on the blockOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/27/2014New spot on University in Palo Alto. Alkymists has a nice initial vibe to it and the menu looks appealing but the food falls down in execution. The Lamb Gouda dumplings were bland and did not seem to have lots of lamb (or gouda). Asian slaw salad also kind of ordinary. Short ribs were OK. Our waiter was terrible. But they are very new and I guess that they need to get the kinks out. And we were a bit disconcerted that they allowed a group with a dog and a barefoot patron in the bar area.Special Features:
- Amazing new place!momo73Dined on 9/27/2014Had dinner here on Saturday with family + guests. We were a big party that got bigger and they were very accommodating. The food was awesome--the Chef's special platter and the Ahi Tuna tacos were a favorite across the table. Their street food menu makes for great small plates set for a group. From the plates, the Pork Belly stood out. The special infused coctails are *very* cool.Special Features:
- Innovative dining experienceheathstreetVIPDined on 9/24/2014This is a welcome new addition to the University avenue restaurant scene. The food is carefully prepared, diverse in style, and artfully presented. Prices are reasonable for the portion size and service is wonderful (even on their first night in business!). The vegetarian options here are excellent - and the drink menu is quite enticing. Clearly, the folks at Alkymists are committed to providing their diners with an unforgettable experience. Note that this place is a bit on the loud side, so not a place for a quiet night out!Special Features:
- Great place for food and drinksKrisstirDined on 7/11/2014The service was excellent and the food was wonderful. They even brought us an appetizer to try compliments of the chef! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Alkymists reviews archive.