786 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alimentsf.com/home.html
- Phone: 4158292737x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Aliment
Located on the corner of Bush and Mason, we are a friendly neighborhood restaurant serving chef driven cuisine in a cozy atmosphere. We strive to source our ingredients locally, make everything in house, and change our menu with the seasons so our diners always have new interesting dishes to look forward to. Join us for dinner and try a beer from our rotating taps and bottle list, or a glass of wine from our dynamic wine menu. We’re sure you’ll enjoy our unique and creative twist on classic American dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aliment reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (43)hot spot (12)romantic (11)special occasion (11)notable wine list (8)good for groups (8)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- InnovativeRlpgirlDined on 10/11/2014The brussel sprout starter was a delicious way to begin dinner. Everything was nicely presented and tasted great. Extensive well priced wine list. French press coffee is always a treat.Special Features:
- Aliment is Fantastic!MaxFliDDHVIPDined on 10/7/2014I have been to Aliment many times since they opened and continue to be impressed every time I go. The bolognese and the chicken dishes are absolutely amazing. The chef has some magical way of combining flavors that causes items that may just be really good to become extraordinary! I recommend it to everybody I know and will contrinue to return! I just wish they would bring the burger back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening at Aliment!!PolskiadamskiDined on 10/1/2014Arranged a group meal for 8-9 people during a busy conference week in San Francisco...staff were very welcoming from the outset...the restaurant has a nice 'chill out' vibe to it. Started with a beer...one of the best IPAs I've tasted in the US followed by a sumptuous 3 course meal...highly recommended and a breath of fresh air from the madness of union sq...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place near Union SqstaceyanaDined on 9/22/2014The place was nice, the staff were super-friendly. The menu was very small, but it covered all the main options (fish, meat, chicken). The wine list was also quite tiny. The food was good thoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy but nice....dindinsDined on 9/21/2014Sunday night - not absolutely full. We were seated upstairs on the gallery. The food was excellent - though the scallops might have been even better without the curry sauce - and the steaks were some of the best we have had outside Argentina, but the restaurant was really quite noisy. Wine somewhat overpriced - if delicious. Good for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great pre-theater optionJanellenVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our 2nd pre-theater dinner at this slightly under-the-radar place near Union Square; the food was even better this time. Four of us shared 4 appetizers and 2 desserts in addition to our mains - the food was both creative and delicious. Service was extremely rapid, so we weren't rushed to get to the theater on time. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Ok, butRustyDined on 9/13/2014Diner, Sept 13, 2014 Mostly correct, but the back ribs were simply not completly cooked, still red at the bone, very greasy and very little meat. My wife's short ribs were much better. The waiter brought our main plates when we had only half finished our entrées and the restaurant still had tables available.
- Great Service - Good food!OaklandAFDined on 9/13/2014Believe the hype - the brussel sprouts are amazing. We went for an early dinner before the symphony - food came quickly and was really tasty. The cheese plate was excellent, as were the scallops, and the squash salad. Wouldn't do any substitutions, but other than that really solid dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SiskiyoucookieSiskiyoucookieDined on 9/11/2014Discovered only a block from our mainstay hotel, this vibrant, small place is a happy find. The pork chop dish was great & the appetizers of brussel sprouts & a cheese tray were amazing! Would not order Bolognese dish; 5% pasta & the rest meat. Over all, a fun & tasty experience for myself & three daughters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New neighborhood gemAgentLotusVIPDined on 9/9/2014The food was fantastic. I had the pork belly upon the recommendation of our server and it did not disappoint. I also ordered the pork chop which was cooked to perfection. The portion was humongous and I was able to make a very tasty pork chop breakfast scramble with my leftovers. Our server was also really attentive and helpful with her suggestions. A neighborhood gem and I will surely be back.Special Features:
- great food and atmospherefritolaitDined on 9/5/2014we had the brussels sprouts (fantastic!), chicken and pork chop. Pork belly was good too. The desserts were okay... definitely the dinner was the standout, and the staff was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great spot for casual dinnerSteakLuvRDined on 9/5/2014Great food, great service, friendly staff. Don't leave without trying the Brussels sprouts! San Francisco should be proud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected pleasureDandCinUSADined on 9/4/2014We found Aliment by chance as we were staying in a hotel nearby. Interesting items on the menu, and the flavours in the dishes we had married well. Scallops divine!!Special Features:
- Slow Service - Tiny Limited MenuPS33110Dined on 8/24/2014Went here on a co-workers recommendation. If you are a vegetarian - skip it. If you are looking for great Napa wines to pick from - skip it. If you want to wait 15 minutes to order a drink, and another 10 to get it - this is your place. Our server was so slow, it was a joke. The only good thing I can say about this place is the brussel sprouts were amazing. The scallops on black rice were super spicy. The restaurant was also very warm. Too warm. I will never go back.
- Great neighborhood findCrazymumDined on 8/13/2014It is difficult to find the good local restaurants in a large city like San Francisco. We were lucky in that my niece lives in the city and enjoys this local restaurant. What a wonderful find! My husband couldn't come with us but I took him the next night because I enjoyed so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Those Brussels sprouts!HappyChefGirlDined on 8/12/2014We were a group of 3 friends who'd never been. The service was delightful and accommodating, even when our third guest was super late due to a work delay. The drinks were great, server knowledgable, and every bite of food delicious. I have already recommended Aliment to friends and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elizabeth from boca raton flELIZABETHVIPDined on 8/8/2014We are vacationing in San Francisco and found this gem through yelp, amazing food Brussels sprouts were delicious my husband had the Pork belly it literally melted in your mouth, we liked it so much we went back the next night , I highly recommend this restaurant. Service was outstanding great wine ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality within walking distanceHtcnjDined on 8/7/2014Within a few blocks of our hotel we found Aliment, with a limited but quality menu. We had a good salad, scallops and a rich pasta. Overall a very nice dinner. RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Food was fresh and of good quality. Wine selection was good as well. Not kid friendly. Adults only.Special Features:
- good service, below average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014service was good but steak arrived under cooked and cold. Pasta entree was average, could have been from anywhere.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014The quality and taste of the food was great. Everything from the appetizer's to the main courses and dessert had all fresh ingredients and taste. Also had a great wine list to choose from. Would definitely recommend and return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulieBDined on 7/26/2014I could tell as soon as we entered the restaurant that a memorable evening awaited. The restaurant is open and airy, with cozy but modern booths. Our server was personable and just the right degree of attentive. As a group, we tried the brussel sprouts as well as scallop appetizers, the sea bass with risotto and pasta with mushroom pesto entrees and all were delicious. We finished with a flourless chocolate cake with brandied cream - wow!!! That was my favorite, light and airy, a perfect finish to our meal. Definitely would recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerkdvvDined on 7/25/2014The food was amazing. Great service. Convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B+OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Cute spot, above average food, decent prices... Definitely fills a void in the Tender-Nob area. I easily got a reservation for 8 people and will keep it in mind in the future. Not so spectacular that I will be running back soon, though. My biggest complaint is that it was VERY noisy. I planned a catch-up dinner with my family and some old friends and we had a really hard time all having a conversation. We pretty much had to buddy up with whoever we were sitting next to, which was a bummer.
- Will Dine at Aliment Again SoonSFNativeVIPDined on 7/18/2014The meal I had a Aliment recently was fabulous! I liked the restaurants local, hip decor and vibe. Loved the Brussel Sprouts appetizer and the pork entree was also delicious. When I find a great restaurant I make sure to splurge on dessert. Aliment's homemade ice cream did not disappoint. I've already told friends about the restaurant and will definitely be back to dine there again soon.Special Features:
- Best Brussel Sprouts EverhungryhippoDined on 7/12/2014Brussel Sprouts are on a lot of SF menus nowadays and I love them, so I order them with every new dining experience. Aliment's brussel sprouts are some of the best sprouts I've had in a long time. Palate pleasing! My pork chop was drier than I would've liked and the accompanying beans and rice stick were overcooked, but overall the dining experience and service were very pleasant and I would return.Special Features:
- Cool, pre-theaterRobTomVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a great, light pre-theater bite at Aliment. Interesting, seasonal, local produce and some unusual wines. Relaxed service. Hip, but also welcoming. We were in and out in time for a play 2 blocks down the hill at Geary St. Wish we could have stayed longer. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotwhatnextDined on 6/23/2014Picked this spot because it was right off Union Square where my cousin was staying. Very good food with a laid back neighborhood vibe. Loved the roasted Brussels sprouts with fish sauce. Most of the food had nice little twists like that. Open on Monday, full but no line.Special Features:
- The following 40 reviews are from the Aliment reviews archive.
- Service OKjc123VIPDined on 6/21/2014Our server was not engaging. Friends had trouble finding parking so they were late yet she never came up to those who were already there offering drinks (we had our bottle of wine on the table so she must have seen it yet she didn't offer to open that as well). When she did open both bottles (our late friends brought one too), she opened them and just walked away...so I guess we had to pour our own wine. I don't recall her coming over once our entrees were served to see how everything was. Our water bottles were empty quite a few times during the course of the evening.
- poor service, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2014we went to Aliment for brunch b/c we saw the chicken & waffle balls on their menu online and were excited to try it. lo and behold, we get there and it's not on the menu. when we asked our server, she told us to not rely on what's online as their menus change. which restaurant does NOT update their menus online nowadays?!! maybe they should indicate that their menu is seasonal so people don't expect to eat something that's not on the menu. overall, the brunch menu selection was small, poor non-alcoholic beverage selection (no decaf coffee and only orange juice), and service left lots to be desired. unfortunately, i would NOT recommend Aliment to others.
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/20/2014The pasta bolognese was delicious, as were scallops appetizers. I've had their french toast at brunch and that was fabulous too. Service is good and ambience is good. It should be more crowded than I've seen it.Special Features:
- Overall GreatAlexandriaVADined on 5/10/2014Needed a place for a last minute dinner with some vendors/friends and this hit the spot. As a visitor from DC, and after a long week of work, this place hit the spot. The menu was simple yet sophisticated, the service good, and the ambiance energetic enough to keep us awake when we should have all been in our hotel rooms exhausted. I got a real kick out of the restaurant's playing of James Bond films on the upper part of the wall. I would recommend this to friends in the city and travelers alike. Great find.Special Features:
- JonnyLikesVIPDined on 5/6/2014On my second visit to Aliment I had the same experience as some other reviewers including abrupt service and refusal to cook the salmon to my liking. Food is highly spiced and seasoned.
- A real findAndyVIPDined on 5/2/2014I don't write many reviews but the staff and the food here is amazing. Well priced. Easy street parking within a block or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodBugVIPDined on 4/30/2014I was disappointed with the food. The fried brussel sprouts were excellent, the Caesar salad was poor. Two of us had swordfish, and it was good. One person had the pork chop which was thick and should have been delicious - but it was dried out and tough and the sauce overly sweet. With so many wonderful restaurants to choose from in San Francisco, I will not return to Aliment.
- just down the hillClintonODined on 4/29/2014When on Nob Hill take a stroll down from your high perch to get a great meal from some nice folks. Started w a PAC Brew and then had the pork chop dish. I recommend both. We were seated, served and on our way in an hour yet didn't feel rushed at all which is hard to do w fine dining in SF. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aliment restaurant in San FranciscoJPNMTVIPDined on 4/21/2014This has been the most terrible experience during our last several years of vacation time. Beside the fact that the food was average but expensive, we did ask the waiter to not add any cheese to a salad for which the description of the dish was mentioning such cheese . We were told that the Chef was very strict and was not open to any substitution which was also written in the menu. We were not asking for a substitution, just to not add any cheese. We were also told that the Chef was writing everything the dishes had. Since we were not able to get any solution, we did order pasta where the description did not mention any cheeses and the plate came with.... cheese. Awful experience!!!!!!
- Great findBrothersBitesDined on 4/20/2014As a visitor to SF, we were well pleased to happen upon Aliment. A comfortable, hip(ster) setting with great food and friendly, helpful staff. A simple menu and wine list was packed with great fresh produce and well matched (and priced) wines. Will be recommending to friends if visiting SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Nob Hill GemNinersVIPDined on 4/20/2014Great spot for brunch and it's definitely worth the tan lines to sit at the window and enjoy the breeze. Definitely try the short rib hash- sooo yummy.Special Features:
- Great food, great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/3/2014We had a table of 12 in the upstairs balcony, ordered family style and everyone had a great dinner. The service was excellent and the food was delicious - I'll definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.