786 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alimentsf.com/home.html
- Phone: 4158292737x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Aliment
Located on the corner of Bush and Mason, we are a friendly neighborhood restaurant serving chef driven cuisine in a cozy atmosphere. We strive to source our ingredients locally, make everything in house, and change our menu with the seasons so our diners always have new interesting dishes to look forward to. Join us for dinner and try a beer from our rotating taps and bottle list, or a glass of wine from our dynamic wine menu. We’re sure you’ll enjoy our unique and creative twist on classic American dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aliment reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (33)romantic (8)hot spot (7)notable wine list (7)special occasion (7)good for groups (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Slow Service - Tiny Limited MenuPS33110Dined on 8/24/2014Went here on a co-workers recommendation. If you are a vegetarian - skip it. If you are looking for great Napa wines to pick from - skip it. If you want to wait 15 minutes to order a drink, and another 10 to get it - this is your place. Our server was so slow, it was a joke. The only good thing I can say about this place is the brussel sprouts were amazing. The scallops on black rice were super spicy. The restaurant was also very warm. Too warm. I will never go back.
- Great neighborhood findCrazymumDined on 8/13/2014It is difficult to find the good local restaurants in a large city like San Francisco. We were lucky in that my niece lives in the city and enjoys this local restaurant. What a wonderful find! My husband couldn't come with us but I took him the next night because I enjoyed so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Those Brussels sprouts!HappyChefGirlDined on 8/12/2014We were a group of 3 friends who'd never been. The service was delightful and accommodating, even when our third guest was super late due to a work delay. The drinks were great, server knowledgable, and every bite of food delicious. I have already recommended Aliment to friends and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elizabeth from boca raton flELIZABETHVIPDined on 8/8/2014We are vacationing in San Francisco and found this gem through yelp, amazing food Brussels sprouts were delicious my husband had the Pork belly it literally melted in your mouth, we liked it so much we went back the next night , I highly recommend this restaurant. Service was outstanding great wine ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality within walking distanceHtcnjDined on 8/7/2014Within a few blocks of our hotel we found Aliment, with a limited but quality menu. We had a good salad, scallops and a rich pasta. Overall a very nice dinner. RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Food was fresh and of good quality. Wine selection was good as well. Not kid friendly. Adults only.Special Features:
- good service, below average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014service was good but steak arrived under cooked and cold. Pasta entree was average, could have been from anywhere.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014The quality and taste of the food was great. Everything from the appetizer's to the main courses and dessert had all fresh ingredients and taste. Also had a great wine list to choose from. Would definitely recommend and return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulieBDined on 7/26/2014I could tell as soon as we entered the restaurant that a memorable evening awaited. The restaurant is open and airy, with cozy but modern booths. Our server was personable and just the right degree of attentive. As a group, we tried the brussel sprouts as well as scallop appetizers, the sea bass with risotto and pasta with mushroom pesto entrees and all were delicious. We finished with a flourless chocolate cake with brandied cream - wow!!! That was my favorite, light and airy, a perfect finish to our meal. Definitely would recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerkdvvDined on 7/25/2014The food was amazing. Great service. Convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B+OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Cute spot, above average food, decent prices... Definitely fills a void in the Tender-Nob area. I easily got a reservation for 8 people and will keep it in mind in the future. Not so spectacular that I will be running back soon, though. My biggest complaint is that it was VERY noisy. I planned a catch-up dinner with my family and some old friends and we had a really hard time all having a conversation. We pretty much had to buddy up with whoever we were sitting next to, which was a bummer.
- Will Dine at Aliment Again SoonSFNativeVIPDined on 7/18/2014The meal I had a Aliment recently was fabulous! I liked the restaurants local, hip decor and vibe. Loved the Brussel Sprouts appetizer and the pork entree was also delicious. When I find a great restaurant I make sure to splurge on dessert. Aliment's homemade ice cream did not disappoint. I've already told friends about the restaurant and will definitely be back to dine there again soon.Special Features:
- Best Brussel Sprouts EverhungryhippoDined on 7/12/2014Brussel Sprouts are on a lot of SF menus nowadays and I love them, so I order them with every new dining experience. Aliment's brussel sprouts are some of the best sprouts I've had in a long time. Palate pleasing! My pork chop was drier than I would've liked and the accompanying beans and rice stick were overcooked, but overall the dining experience and service were very pleasant and I would return.Special Features:
- Cool, pre-theaterRobTomVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a great, light pre-theater bite at Aliment. Interesting, seasonal, local produce and some unusual wines. Relaxed service. Hip, but also welcoming. We were in and out in time for a play 2 blocks down the hill at Geary St. Wish we could have stayed longer. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotwhatnextDined on 6/23/2014Picked this spot because it was right off Union Square where my cousin was staying. Very good food with a laid back neighborhood vibe. Loved the roasted Brussels sprouts with fish sauce. Most of the food had nice little twists like that. Open on Monday, full but no line.Special Features:
- Service OKjc123VIPDined on 6/21/2014Our server was not engaging. Friends had trouble finding parking so they were late yet she never came up to those who were already there offering drinks (we had our bottle of wine on the table so she must have seen it yet she didn't offer to open that as well). When she did open both bottles (our late friends brought one too), she opened them and just walked away...so I guess we had to pour our own wine. I don't recall her coming over once our entrees were served to see how everything was. Our water bottles were empty quite a few times during the course of the evening.
- poor service, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2014we went to Aliment for brunch b/c we saw the chicken & waffle balls on their menu online and were excited to try it. lo and behold, we get there and it's not on the menu. when we asked our server, she told us to not rely on what's online as their menus change. which restaurant does NOT update their menus online nowadays?!! maybe they should indicate that their menu is seasonal so people don't expect to eat something that's not on the menu. overall, the brunch menu selection was small, poor non-alcoholic beverage selection (no decaf coffee and only orange juice), and service left lots to be desired. unfortunately, i would NOT recommend Aliment to others.
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/20/2014The pasta bolognese was delicious, as were scallops appetizers. I've had their french toast at brunch and that was fabulous too. Service is good and ambience is good. It should be more crowded than I've seen it.Special Features:
- Overall GreatAlexandriaVADined on 5/10/2014Needed a place for a last minute dinner with some vendors/friends and this hit the spot. As a visitor from DC, and after a long week of work, this place hit the spot. The menu was simple yet sophisticated, the service good, and the ambiance energetic enough to keep us awake when we should have all been in our hotel rooms exhausted. I got a real kick out of the restaurant's playing of James Bond films on the upper part of the wall. I would recommend this to friends in the city and travelers alike. Great find.Special Features:
- JonnyLikesVIPDined on 5/6/2014On my second visit to Aliment I had the same experience as some other reviewers including abrupt service and refusal to cook the salmon to my liking. Food is highly spiced and seasoned.
- A real findAndyVIPDined on 5/2/2014I don't write many reviews but the staff and the food here is amazing. Well priced. Easy street parking within a block or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodBugVIPDined on 4/30/2014I was disappointed with the food. The fried brussel sprouts were excellent, the Caesar salad was poor. Two of us had swordfish, and it was good. One person had the pork chop which was thick and should have been delicious - but it was dried out and tough and the sauce overly sweet. With so many wonderful restaurants to choose from in San Francisco, I will not return to Aliment.
- The following 32 reviews are from the Aliment reviews archive.
- just down the hillClintonODined on 4/29/2014When on Nob Hill take a stroll down from your high perch to get a great meal from some nice folks. Started w a PAC Brew and then had the pork chop dish. I recommend both. We were seated, served and on our way in an hour yet didn't feel rushed at all which is hard to do w fine dining in SF. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aliment restaurant in San FranciscoJPNMTDined on 4/21/2014This has been the most terrible experience during our last several years of vacation time. Beside the fact that the food was average but expensive, we did ask the waiter to not add any cheese to a salad for which the description of the dish was mentioning such cheese . We were told that the Chef was very strict and was not open to any substitution which was also written in the menu. We were not asking for a substitution, just to not add any cheese. We were also told that the Chef was writing everything the dishes had. Since we were not able to get any solution, we did order pasta where the description did not mention any cheeses and the plate came with.... cheese. Awful experience!!!!!!
- Great findBrothersBitesDined on 4/20/2014As a visitor to SF, we were well pleased to happen upon Aliment. A comfortable, hip(ster) setting with great food and friendly, helpful staff. A simple menu and wine list was packed with great fresh produce and well matched (and priced) wines. Will be recommending to friends if visiting SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Nob Hill GemNinersVIPDined on 4/20/2014Great spot for brunch and it's definitely worth the tan lines to sit at the window and enjoy the breeze. Definitely try the short rib hash- sooo yummy.Special Features:
- Great food, great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/3/2014We had a table of 12 in the upstairs balcony, ordered family style and everyone had a great dinner. The service was excellent and the food was delicious - I'll definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great and ourSusanLDined on 3/30/2014The food was great and our server was most attentive. The only "problem" if one could call it that was that the booth was a bit cramped for 6 adults, and made conversation a bit difficult, given the proximity of the kitchen. Will be back for the food, but would like to try dinner here, as we were limited to brunch menu. Still, the posole was a big hit, as was the beef hash and the cheese/meat plate. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed my meal, which wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/27/2014I enjoyed my meal, which was well-prepared. My dining companion had a less pleasurable experience because unfortunately the chef didn't make a substitution for a different side, even though the change was needed due to a food allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pvaeVIPDined on 3/26/2014Eggs gave me serious indigestion and service was non-existent.
- The food was good, but similarOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/24/2014The food was good, but similar to what is served in other New American restaurants in SF. There was nothing that really wow'ed me. The brussels sprout dish was: crisp and flavorful. The Spaetzle unfortunately fell flat because it was dry and tasteless. The restaurant was spacious and I loved the rustic decor.
- MediocreSfgirl2014Dined on 3/22/2014Aliment was recommended to me by a friend who had tried it during their first week of being open. She said the good was good, but it was still rough around the edges. I was disappointed to find that this was still true months later. Our table for 7 was not ready for us, and we awkwardly waited by door for 20 min. Our waters routinely went empty, the server didn't seem to know the menu and misspoke about a couple things. The brussels sprouts and salmon were delicious, but the service and decor doesn't deliver the quality you would want in a restaurant like this. They need to ditch the diner booths and tighten down on their service.
- Great Place but Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/22/2014Things got off to a good start with the nice ambiance of the restaurant and an interesting menu. We ordered and were busy talking and realized we were starting to get really hungry. The waiter came back and asked us if we had ordered--we said we had ordered a long time ago (we realized it had been at least 20 minutes and everyone else had their food at the other tables). The waiter commented that the order must have gotten lost and offered a perfunctory apology (no offer of even a piece of bread to tide us over). The food eventually arrived and was terrific. We were very disappointed in the service and lack of effort to acknowledge the huge miss--no real apology or offer of comping anything--which is quite standard in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimefoodieDined on 3/22/2014Tried Ailment at the suggestion of a friend. Was not disappointed with the service and attention paid to all the members of our party! The food was very good, although not quite great, so everyone enjoyed their brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Open TableEatsAlotDined on 3/18/2014I booked our res for Aliment on a whim using the Iphone app and I'm glad I did! Despite the street construction taking place directly outside (super loud) the ambiance was a very nice; low lighting and a sexy vibe. I had the Scallops which were very good! I would definitely go back given the chance. I wouldn't recommend it for groups though, kind of a small interior space. Perfect for date night and super walkable fromNob Hill.
- Nice placeHipeDined on 3/18/2014Good food and service, but the construction work right outside was really annoying.Special Features:
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/17/2014Food was good, wine was good, service was good. Just good. The acoustics are terrible, and there was worthless music(?) blaring during our entire stay.Special Features:
- Tremendous Gem of a SpotNatashaSFVIPDined on 3/12/2014I have been driving by this place for months and am so glad I finally made a reservation. I gathered with 6 friends, had wine and bubbles, brussels sprouts, kale salad, the fish of the day and short ribs. We all shared and had an amazing time. Daniel the waiter was awesome and VERY patient with us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 StrikesOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/11/2014Strike 1: They were out of the one Chardonnay, by the glass, on the menu. They did not offer to substitute, another, so I ordered a whole bottle of Chardonnay even though my wide normally drinks Chard and I red. Strike 2: My daughter asked for burger to be med-well. They refused. Instead of offering to prepare as she liked, at our risk, they indicated that they would only serve it Med or more rare. Strike 3: I am on a diet, and requested my salad with dressing on the side. The waitress said no problem and then returned saying the chef refused. We thanked the nice waitress and left.
- Beautiful Venue and Good FoodmetooVIPDined on 3/9/2014The place is lovely. And the counter seating is actually comfortable. The brussels sprouts were fantastic; the kale salad was, well, kale salad; and the short ribs were a bit bland. All in all a nice place.