659 Merchant St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (415) 781-7058
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30 - 9:00pm, Cocktails Starting at 5:00pm
LUNCH: Thursday Only 11:30 until 2:00pm.
HAPPY HOUR: Every Friday from 4-7PM
CLOSED SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS
available for private parties
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Four rooms accommodating from 8 to 100 guests. Available for lunch or dinner, Tuesdays Through Saturdays
- Private Party Contact: Marco Petri 4157817058
A word from Alfred's Steakhouse
San Francisco's oldest steakhouse, specializing in corn-fed, dry-aged beef cooked over Mexican mesquite charcoal. Over 85 years of serving locals and visitors alike, with an extensive whiskey wall, monumental martinis, in an elegant atmosphere of red leather and crystal chandeliers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alfred's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)romantic (41)good for groups (28)notable wine list (23)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (19)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- The place is beautiful insidenj925Dined on 5/10/2008The place is beautiful inside and has a great romantic atmosphere, although it would be great for business dinners and groups of friends. The service was great! We asked to move from a table and booth when one became available. They completely moved everything for us, even though it was a busy Saturday night. As far as the food goes though, I ordered a sirloin and baked potato, which was decent. The meat is really plain and has no seasonings, and I really prefer seasoned meat without adding sauces. My date ordered steak and shrimp, but did not enjoy his food. He did say the shrimp was the best thing on his plate though. Overall experience: a little overpriced for such average food.Special Features:
- This was our first time diningRJSSDined on 5/10/2008This was our first time dining at Alfred's and I must say how pleasantly suprised we were by how wonderful everything was. The filet mignon was perfectly cooked, the creamed spinach was delicious as was the oysters rockerfeller. The only disappoint ment was they were out of the creme brulee by 8:30 but decided to try the cheesecake which was wonderful! Our waiter was friendly and efficient. We will definately return to Alfred's!Special Features:
- Alfred's Steakhouse has becomeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/10/2008Alfred's Steakhouse has become one of our favorite restaurants in San Francisco. Not only do they have terrific steaks, but one of the most outstanding calamari steaks we have ever eaten. We say "Bravo" to Alfred's!!!Special Features:
- The bar was nice, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/9/2008The bar was nice, but the quality of the meat was not very high. I had a porterhouse and there was a lot gristle. On the plus side, it was cooked exactly the way I like it. I don't think I will be going back soon.
- Overall an excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2008Overall an excellent meal at Alfreds. Attentive yet not annoying service. Hot food. Cold drinks.Special Features:
- My husband and I absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/7/2008My husband and I absolutely love Alfred's Steakhouse! There is an "old-school" and family feel, with personal and professional service- along with delicious food! Of course the steaks are amazing.. For starters- my personal favorite are the oysters rockefeller. For those who want a break from the dining "scene" and are looking for a satisfying meal, Alfred's is an authentic, quality establishment that I would recommend many times over. (I look forward to my next visit!).Special Features:
- Our steaks were perfect andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2008Our steaks were perfect and the cheesecake was almost as good as the steak (in its own way, of course). The host was very friendly and accommodating. Special thanks to the bartender -- I don't remember his name, but do remember that he is from Arkansas -- who was really helpful and gave us ideas on several wines to try the next time we visit. This is our favorite steakhouse in SF, and we'll definitely continue returning.Special Features:
- Thanks Al & Will -- We hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2008Thanks Al & Will -- We had a great evening and especially appreciated having a private dining room. Food fabulous and our waiter David was outstanding. It will be a memorable 70th birthday celebration for my sister. Joyce Hing McGowanSpecial Features:
- First time experience; comparesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2008First time experience; compares favorably with Harris. Pleasant and quiet surroundings, quite a varied menu for a steakhouse; important for the vegetarian member of our party. All went well, and we will return.Special Features:
- I've been wanting to go toOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/1/2008I've been wanting to go to Alfreds for years now and I finally went! It was better than I even expected and am looking forward to going back soon. Great martinis at the bar and absolutely beautiful old world elegance. I think I'm going to spend my 40th birthday there!Special Features:
- WORST STEAKHOUSE EVER! STEAKOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2008WORST STEAKHOUSE EVER! STEAK WAS OVER COOKED AND DRY!! and the SERVICE? my gosh. i asked my waiter to hurry up my order b/c i was in a hurry and he GAVE ME ALL THESE EXCUSES WITH HOW I CHANGED MY MEAL AND CAUSED THE DELAY FOR THE FOOD TO ARRIVE. i changed my appt. from a salad to an onion soup. how does THAT have TO DO WITH THE STEAK? HE TOLD ME THAT SINCE I CHANGED MY SALAD TO AN ONION SOUP, THEN MY STEAK WILL BE LATE. i told him that it didn't make sense AND HE RAISED HIS VOICE AND STARTED YELLING AT ME! NEVER EVER GOING BACK AND DONT GO IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD DINNER!!
- This time at Alfred's I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2008This time at Alfred's I was disappointed. My meat wasn't very good. They didn't have asparagus as a side dish yet it's in season right now. There is no cheese plate for people who don't eat sugar for dessert. There is no grass-fed beef. I just feel it has become old-fashioned and is not keeping up with the times. My companions, however, liked their food. Catherine Travers
- VERY dismayed about the 17%OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2008VERY dismayed about the 17% service charge for all sized parties added automatically to the bill. I feel this caused complacency with my server who seemed to do the minimum required without a whole lot of friendliness. In addition I felt that the server expected a tip on top of the service charge since a sign on the table all but suggested one.
- Great place, great food andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2008Great place, great food and great service. A pity that it took me so long to find it, but I'll be back again and again.Special Features:
- i think the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2008i think the food and service and ambience are what makes Alfred's an outstanding restaurant.......the steaks are mouth watering.,..........Special Features:
- We arrived about 10 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/19/2008We arrived about 10 minutes early for our reservation and were told to sit in the bar while they got our table ready. We were in there for about 25 minutes and I went back to see the matre d' about our table and he asked me what I wanted. Our table was ready in a little more than 5 minutes after that. Not a friendly first impression. Food was delicious and portions were huge. Service at dinner was mostly absent. After we asked matre d' for a taxi. He told us to walk down the alley and around the corner to catch one at the Hilton. I was a little taken aback about his aloofness. I wouldn't go back because the service was not what I would expect from a steakhouse with high prices.
- Both of my daughters' steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/19/2008Both of my daughters' steaks were undercooked (they ordered medium and got very rare). My older daughter (whose birthday it was) had hers sent back. It took almost until the rest of us were done to get it back and when she did, it was painfully overcooked. We dine as a family but will have to think again about taking the kids here.Special Features:
- It was a chilly when we arrived,Davideck11Dined on 4/19/2008It was a chilly when we arrived, we asked our waiter to turn the heat on and he did so immediately. The food was wonderful, great experience.Special Features:
- Rushed service. OvercookedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/18/2008Rushed service. Overcooked steak. Salad was very small.Special Features:
- I still think the best OriginalOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2008I still think the best Original Steakhouse belonging to San Francisco. I always love going back to my roots and the flavor of the city.Special Features:
- Alfred's was very fair. I'veClassicVIPDined on 4/18/2008Alfred's was very fair. I've had better steak and better service. Service was careless and aloof.
- Always one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/17/2008Always one of my favorite restaurants. A great, old-San Francisco place, comfortable, friendly, ever special.Special Features:
- Awesome service - great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2008Awesome service - great food. What more could you want? Noise level was just right.Special Features:
- We ate at Alfred's for myOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/11/2008We ate at Alfred's for my husband's 60th Birthday. The atmosphere was quiet and romantic. The waiter was attentive and paid great attention to detail! His recommendations were right on. The filets were excellent and cooked as ordered. They even called a cab for us while we were sipping our coffee and let us know when it arrived. We would highly recommend Alfred's for anyone who wants a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- our criteria is not the usual.THELDined on 4/10/2008our criteria is not the usual. first we look for something reasonable in terms of parking. next we look for quieter places. this last time we were there it was a bit noisier than usual, but grandma could still hear. alfred's has very good food (your usual steakhouse fare done well) but food for us comes after parking and quiet. our waiter this last time was the best we've had there....quick, funny, etc. one note of criticism; i usually email ahead to see if i can get a piece of fruit for dessert instead of their cheesecake or the bread-pudding my family loves. this last time i emailed a little too late and i guess they couldn't do the fruit.Special Features:
- Restaurant has a policy ofCMH7VIPDined on 4/9/2008Restaurant has a policy of charging 17% AUTOMATICALLY to any size table check. In this case it was for 2, and when we asked about this, the waiter said the 17% was for the restaurant and not the waiter, and was clear we were expected to leave a tip on top of the "surcharge" of 17%! This is a colossal rip off, and quite frankly, left a very bad impression. I have never heard of such a "surcharge" and have dined in nice restaurants across the country. The waiter had an attitude on top of it all, and rushed us, even though there were only 3 customers in the entire restaurant.The steaks were good but not extraordinary. It is sneaky the way they place a small hard to read card on the table disclaiming the surcharge.Beware!
- I hear its great for the margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/9/2008I hear its great for the margaritas - but we went for the steak and were disappointed.
- Overall service was good -OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2008Overall service was good - however we had to wait forever for our check. The waiter didn't even casually stroll by so we could catch his eye for a good fifteen to twenty minutes. The steaks were excellent pieces of meat, however they were somewhat overcooked to our requests. (We did get a free dessert because of this)
- Alfred's is a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2008Alfred's is a great place for lunch when you want good drinks and a steak. Unfortunately, they are only open for lunch on Thursdays but that makes going there special.Special Features:
- Decent enough steak, withOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/2/2008Decent enough steak, with the School Night Special of a soup/salad, steak, dessert for $39 being a good deal. Service wsa pretty distant and a bit inattentive, even when the restaurant wasn't that busy.
- I like the ambience and theirOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2008I like the ambience and their service. But the stake is not so good. stakes are too big and not so tasty. I hope it more subtle.Special Features:
- Standard, good quality steaks,MarkPDined on 4/1/2008Standard, good quality steaks, though nothing really stood out to me to make me feel I must return.
- Great atmosphere and evenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2008Great atmosphere and even better food. The steak was good and the calamari was some of the best i have ever had.Special Features:
- It was my husbands birthdayEatpraywaitDined on 3/22/2008It was my husbands birthday and he wanted to come back to Alfreds. He had been going there over 10 years. The service was not up to par. Our waiter forgot my wine and had to remind him. He knew nothing about wines which is disappointing being in the wine business myself. He also completely forgot to get my husband coffee and at didtn remember. Then before desert he had someone come over and bring 2 plates take them away and bring back again only to give to the people behind us. He wasnt there. On top of that they have a placard and long explanation about tips on the table and automatically add a 17% gratuity. I have already told friends about our experience which is too bad as we had some good memories there. ElayneSpecial Features:
- Great food & friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/20/2008Great food & friendly service what else can you ask for.Special Features:
- The compulsory 17% added toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2008The compulsory 17% added to your check creates an awkward situation with your waiter who you may feel obligated to tip, making your dinner a third more expensive than the already pricey menu.
- Very San Francisco--- firsthoteljeffDined on 3/12/2008Very San Francisco--- first time we had been there after the move. How many years ago? We wanted a Good Steak and beside it was Alfed's Day. We will go again!!!Special Features:
- A classic steak house. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/11/2008A classic steak house. Very old school. And thankfully minus the ridiculous price creep of the premium chains (Ruth's Chris, Morton's, etc.). Definitely worth the trip.
- THe service was great andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/10/2008THe service was great and the staff accomodated our special requests. I would recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:
- Everything was terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2008Everything was terrific! I'll definitely be back!Special Features: