659 Merchant St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157817058
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30 - 9:00pm, Cocktails Starting at 5:00pm
LUNCH: Thursday Only 11:30 until 2:00pm.
HAPPY HOUR: Every Friday from 4-7PM
CLOSED SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS
available for private parties
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Four rooms accommodating from 8 to 100 guests. Available for lunch or dinner, Tuesdays Through Saturdays
- Private Party Contact: Marco Petri 4157817058
A word from Alfred's Steakhouse
San Francisco's oldest steakhouse, specializing in corn-fed, dry-aged beef cooked over Mexican mesquite charcoal. Over 85 years of serving locals and visitors alike, with an extensive whiskey wall, monumental martinis, in an elegant atmosphere of red leather and crystal chandeliers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alfred's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)romantic (37)good for groups (22)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- PERFECTbirthdaysurpriseDined on 9/13/2014When booking Alfred's Steakhouse I asked if there was any way of making my husband feel special on his birthday. Myself and my husband were just blown away with the attention he received. When we were greeted, the server said "hello Alex, Happy birthday Sir". My husband felt so very special and surprised. We ordered a cheesecake for dessert and it came on a beautiful happy birthday plate with a candle. We were not charged for his birthday dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firecaptain21Dined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful time , nice atmosphere , everyone was there was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to Rememberglam2dineDined on 9/6/2014Alfred's was a dream!!!! The restaurant ambiance was perfect for my husband's 38th birthday, and we were pleased to see that a few other parties were celebrating birthdays as well. The décor was rich with old school charm, and the wait staff was absolutely dreamy. We began our night at the bar with a very interesting mixologist by the name of Windsor. Neither of us knew what we wanted as this was our first time; however, he knew exactly what to make us and it was spot on. My husband drank Vespers all night and I fell in love with the Alfredo Rosso. The wonderfully made drinks along with the rich bordello red décor made me feel as if I was a member of a royal court. Absolute must for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- afficinadoDined on 9/6/2014meat was undercooked for one of the dishes; soup arrives before the bread; 17% mandatory tip masked as some sort of tax; french onion soup was very sour. for high-end steakhouse, this is not very satisfactory
- Classic SFOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014This is a classic SF Steakhouse, my father went there 30 years ago when it was on Broadway. They are now located (for the last 16 years) at the site of the old Blue Fox restaurant on Merchant. They validate parking. It is for sure a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience is so good!NobHillDined on 9/6/2014Ambience and service is excellent. We enjoyed our dinner. Price is a little bit expensive.Special Features:
- Restaurant gone downhillloveaqualityrestaurantDined on 8/30/2014We had been to Alfred's in the past and at that time it was very good. The ambiance is great if you like that classic 20's looking style restaurant. For the price of the food it was not very good. The Rib Eye steak was just "OK". I have had better steaks for less price. Not much flavor and it was a bit on the chewy side. The steak was cooked the way I had asked for it but lacked the rich steak flavor that would have expected. My wife had the live Maine lobster and it was over-priced for what she got. Not much flavor. For desert we ordered chocolate Torte and "classic" cheesecake. The Chocolate torte was ok. The "classic" cheesecake did not have the same taste or texture of what we would call a classic cheesecake. Small PiecesSpecial Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014While there may be more popular / trendy restaurants...Alfred's is; "Unapologetically Old School." The ambiance is comfortable, service is prompt, staff is all class and of course the food is amazing (If Steak and Potatoes is what you are looking for.) I'd recommend Alfred's for a business dinner, night out with the guys and/or a place to take mum and dad.Special Features:
- superb steaks & servicezweisteinDined on 8/21/2014Superb service and meal at their Thursday only luncheon. Too bad they don't serve lunch every day. Best Martini-Manhattan I ever had.Special Features:
- Lazy staff trying to leave earlyIdontdoreviewseverDined on 8/19/2014Combined, my dining companion and I have spent $1000s at Alfreds, dating back to their previous location. Let's just say we will never go back. Made a reservation at 8:36 for a 9 pm seating. Arrived at 9:08 and the smug front of house/manager berated us for not calling and said the kitchen was already closed as of 9pm. I have a receipt from Uber. No, I'm not exaggerating. If you don't want to be open, don't offer the reservation. And then, to get attitude? That's ridiculous. Do the math, we arrive at 9:08 and the kitchen has already been shut down? What's the grace period? 2 minutes? There are plenty of fine places to dine in SF. With service like that at a fine dining spot, it's no wonder why Alfred's is empty at 9 pm.
- excellent classic steak restaurantntvesfDined on 8/19/2014Loved the food and ambiance. The waiter was efficient but not friendly. Host was very nice. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint steakhouseSFLocalDined on 8/19/2014For a high end steak house, food was ok and over priced. My salmon was over cooked and my guests shared that their steaks were a little over done as well. The decor was great...very old and historical inside...loved that they keep it close to original. Service was so, so. I would only return if I couldn't get into anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eats outEatsoutVIPDined on 8/16/2014I have eaten at Alfred's many times and have always enjoyed it. This dinner was the exception. We waited over a half an hour before a waiter took our order. We ordered 3 salads for the table (5 guests); they brought 2- the waiter decided that would be enough! The oyster appetizer did not materialize, but the french fries we ordered to go with our main course did. It was literally tossed at the table. The fact that we has no plates, and he brought no condiments with it was lost on the server (tosser?). The oysters finally materialized after some prodding. The main course finally came, and was good...but they were OUT of porterhouse steaks. The owner did try apologizing and comped drinks and dessert. I just hate to see an SF icon stumble.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bartender!JillDined on 8/16/2014Alfred's policy is to eschew any seasoning on its steaks. It's a bad policy. But the bartender is terrific. My advice is have a drink or two at the bar then go somewhere else for dinner.
- Not the best in townMesaDined on 8/15/2014We recently ate at Alfred's and I have to say it was not a great experience. For being recommended as a top steak house, the steak was just okay. The chicken was the best thing on the menu. The server was very short with us and inattentive. For the price we paid it was not worth it.
- Still greatBuffVIPDined on 8/14/2014I love Alfred's; best steaks, best Caesar salad, best Martini's, great onion rings; it's my go to spot for meat and drinks :-)Special Features:
- Historic charm and delicious steaksSFdoomedDined on 8/9/2014Existing in what is now an obscure alleyway next to the cement monstrosity that is the Chinatown Hilton Hotel, Alfred's Steakhouse is a reminder of San Francisco's golden past, as stepping into the historic establishment is somewhat like stepping into a time portal to the 1930's or 40's. What a delightful contrast to all of the trendy, industrial-themed "foodie" restaurants popping up all over town! The service was wonderful, the staff welcoming and friendly (the owner visited our table and chatted with us for a few minutes), and the steaks were delicious. My wife kept remarking about how reasonable the wine prices were and how the selection was impressive. Overall, the experience was excellent and highly recommended for a romantic date.Special Features:
- ILoveBrunchVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here was good but not the best steak I have had in San Francisco. The service was also fairly slow. The restaurant adds a 17% service charge which likely eliminates any incentive the waitstaff would have to go above and beyond as they know they will be tipped at least the 17% after the meal is over.Special Features:
- mediocredreaDined on 8/9/2014i was really excited for this place. i wanted it to be a fine steakhouse, with old san francisco flare. Service: The hostess was great, but the server felt a little snippy and overworked. Food: it was okay, but not great for the price. the NY strip was fatty, and the filet was tougher than a filet at the price needed to be. The fried creme dessert was not good. It was too boozy and tasted like it was fried in onion ring batter. However, the caesar salad and the creamed spinach were great. The ambiance was nice and quiet. I will probably not return here. I wanted more of a Ruths Chris level experience, but it was much less than that.Special Features:
- Best Place for a Guy's BirthdayCJBlissDined on 8/8/2014I love everything about this place. The service, the food, the old world decor. I feel like I'm stepping back into the 20s in a good way when I walk in to the huge double doors. The food is amazing. I love the split pea soup, creamed spinach and mashed potatoes. Love the creamy horseradish sauce. Oh, and who can forget the star of the show: mouth watering steak. It practically melts in your mouth. Every bite makes me wonder if they were keeping their cows stress free and massaging them in some cow spa.... For dessert they have some nice ports to try. The chocolate port hit the spot after a big meal. My boyfriend loved this place, it's definitely a regal restaurant for a guy's birthday. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco ClassicInExileVIPDined on 8/7/2014Alfred's has been a San Francisco staple since the 1920s. While Caesar salads are no longer prepared table-side the food is still very good, the surroundings old-school and the service attentive without being intrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OustandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014We come to this restaurant about three times a year. Very good steaks!Special Features:
- First class servicePumpkinDined on 7/25/2014It was a great experience to dinner at alfreds steakhouse. The service was outstanding friendly. We just had a great time. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/25/2014Alfred's has a long history in San Francisco, as does the building where it currently resides. Marco & Mark helped my parents journey into their past as they celebrated their 44th Anniversary back in their hometown. Great food, excellent service and great historical perspective made our celebration special and memorable. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding T-bone steakSmadsenDined on 7/24/2014Found the place after search for steakhouse in San Francisco, but it was not easy to find in the city, since it is located in a small street, but we felt very lucky after our dinner, that we took the time to search for it. The greeting from the host was heartly and we felt welcome (3 adults), and had a good small talk with the host. The staff was friendly as well, and the menu was very easy to read, not to many dishes, so it did not take us long, to find what we wanted. Very nice winelist as well. Price is very fair, and the food was outstanding, we had T-bone and filet mignon, so all in all a fantastic experience, and we will come back again.Special Features:
- DisappointingCourtSFVIPDined on 7/19/2014I read all the reviews before booking. So I knew we would either have a great meal or a bad one. Our French server was charming and we loved the ambiance. We ordered cocktails to start, they were huge and my husbands Manhattan was practically just alcohol and not that enjoyable to him. My dirty grey goose martini was far from dirty and just had a sweet taste to it. We knew then it wasn't going to end well. I started with heirloom tomatoes and hubs had the French onion soup, both were good. They were out of the steak he wanted so he had to get the larger size one. The worst part was they over cooked his steak and it was not seasoned at all. We've never been to a steak house where the steaks weren't seasoned. The mashed potatos were good.
- San Francisco ClassicSFNativeDined on 7/18/2014Right up there with the House of Prime Rib for special night out with friends family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst steak in SF.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014My son and I had the porterhouse and filet. Both came burnt - was told that it was mesquite flavoring. It was burnt. No apologies, nothing. Worst steak in SF.
- A wonderful dining experienceluv2cookDined on 7/17/2014From the gracious greeting from Marco, the owner, to the excellent food and service from the staff, I could not have had a more pleasurable experience or meal. The steak was cooked to perfection and I don't think I have ever had better creamed spinach. The coffee is rich and flavorful without being bitter and the raspberry sorbet was the perfect ending to the meal. It was light but full of the taste of raspberries and so creamy. Alfred's truly lives up to the old style San Francisco fine dining experience, yet there were enough young business-types to know that the establishment has crossed generations. The wine menu is extensive with many excellent choices availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greart FindJNWdinningDined on 7/15/2014We needed a place with good service, quiet, where we could have a good dinner and llengthy buiness conversation. It was excellent. The bar was nice, our table came quickly, the waiters were helpful, timely, gave us the space we needed , food -- steaks were excellent. ZIt was so good we came back the next night qwith different business clients. While we love Kokkari's it is so noisy you cannot actualy have a conversation.. so this was perfect.. will be back. Corkage was a little expensive $20/ bottle, but hen we brought some awesome wines... well worth it. Only negative was no valet parking, although parking is available acroerss the street at the underground Hilton garage, and they validate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceRosiepopDined on 7/12/2014Ambience at Alred's is retro San Francisco, deep red walls , big chandeliers, booths and tables. In it's dimly lit dining area you can imagine back in the day, people pulling out huge after dinner cigars with their martini's in hand. Great place! I love it! Their steaks are the best I have every had. We had the 49 er dinner special that included soup or salad ,any side dish off the menu and choice of any steak and dessert. Really outstanding deal for the quality . I choose a Ribeye while others chose Filet Mignon, all cooked to perfection. As a side we all chose Ravioli which was excellent. Alfred's has the most attentive wait staff I have ever experienced. Top notch place with service!!!Special Features:
- Great steakhousescapaDined on 7/11/2014Fantastic food and outstanding service. Thanks a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerryStalsisDined on 7/3/2014Traditional restaurant and food, dark red interior, soft lighting, large steaks, large quantities of french fries, service good, located in an alley beside the Hilton, overall a pleasant evening
- Best traditional SF steakhousemascapDined on 7/3/2014Why travel to NYC, LV, LA, etc for a great steakhouse! Stay home and eat at the very best steakhouse for the money in a traditional, downtown San Francisco steakhouse. The service is excellent and the prices are extremely fair for what you order. This restaurant is our go-to occasion restaurant in the City. We had one issue with one of our orders, and management took care of it immediately. All that I can say is that old time San Franciscans know about this restaurant. Newbies need to acquaint themselves with this absolutely wonderful restaurant. Don't say you were not forewarned! Old timers need to let out this secret.Special Features:
- Great Retro FeelJRMJRMDined on 6/27/2014Wonderful steak house with hearty food and quiet retro ambience.
- This place never fails to impress.MarinFanDined on 6/26/2014I took a friend new to San Francisco to the Thursday lunch scene and had a fabulous time. Not only is the owner Marco the best host in SF, he comes with a lifetime of knowledge in the restaurant industry. Young enough to be in the hip scene and experienced enough to know that tradition works. The menu items are the deal of the century. The steak salad is to die for plus the seasonal veggies are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceLeti72Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had our anniversary dinner and it was fantastic! The staff was very friendly, food and drinks came out in a timely manner and the meat was tasty. Walking in to the restaurant felt like being in old San Francisco, which as a San Francico Native, made it feel like home. I can't wait to go back and enjoy another amazing meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forever the best steak in The CityNobHilleryDined on 6/21/2014We took a large party on our wedding weekend to Alfred's. From the start they were the best, following up with the reservation and a nice table The bartender Windsor is always superb, the drinks strong and well priced. He knows his stuff. Our server Tito was efficient and gracious, handling our large group with aplomb. The wine list is deep in every price category. Alfred's is everything a steakhouse should be - well-appointed, old-fashioned elegance - dark wood, red booths, crystal chandeliers. Steaks are far more reasonable than the big named steak houses, better aged, better prepared. WARNING: IF YOU EAT AT ALFRED'S YOU WON'T WANT TO VISIT A CHAIN STEAKHOUSE AGAIN, EVER. Alfred's - always an honest, great SF favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/18/2014A real steak house from the red walls giant Martinis and succulent steaksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beMaggieDined on 6/14/2014Been frequenting Alfred's for 14 years! Has been consistent. This past year things have changed. Unfortunately for the worst. The servers seem stressed out. It was a stressful dinner, I actually asked for my dessert to go. I could no longer sit through the experience. I let the manager know that our waiter had been very rude, he excused him and said I'm sure that's not what he meant. That was it, really? Aside from that, my steak has been hit or miss with every visit this year. They used to have the best calamari. The serving has become smaller and they are actually quite rubbery now. With every visit since last year, the whole experience has gotten worse. It seems like when the bald guy was around things seemed better. We're moving on.