659 Merchant St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157817058
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Tuesday-Saturday: 5:30 - 9:00pm, Cocktails Starting at 5:00pm
LUNCH: Thursday Only 11:30 until 2:00pm.
HAPPY HOUR: Every Friday from 4-7PM
CLOSED SUNDAYS AND MONDAYS
available for private parties
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Continental, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Four rooms accommodating from 8 to 100 guests. Available for lunch or dinner, Tuesdays Through Saturdays
- Private Party Contact: Marco Petri 4157817058
A word from Alfred's Steakhouse
San Francisco's oldest steakhouse, specializing in corn-fed, dry-aged beef cooked over Mexican mesquite charcoal. Over 85 years of serving locals and visitors alike, with an extensive whiskey wall, monumental martinis, in an elegant atmosphere of red leather and crystal chandeliers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alfred's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)romantic (44)good for groups (28)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A Misteak!ReynaldoVIPDined on 10/21/2014Alfred's has a reputation as a good steak place in the Financial District/Chinatown Area . The steak we was one of the worst we've had . The alleged mashed potatoes were lumpy. The only good thing was the sour-dough bread. It was one of the worst restaurant food experiences we've had in years. Too bad as in it's "hayday" it must have been a good Steakhouse.
- An SF ClassicsalmoneaterDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I love this place. The bar is beautiful, quiet and civilized. It's always a fun place to bring friends both local and from out-of-town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A time machine with great food.BVTproVIPDined on 10/11/2014Alfred's epitomizes San Francisco history at its best. They serve a great steak and perfect fixings in a classic setting. Everything you imagine about the City in 1935 and a much better wine list. Free parking too - what more could one ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014Classic old school steak joint. Steak and sides were awesome. Next time i'm in San Fran, I will be going here for a steak again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOregonDined on 10/9/2014Came here for my g/f's birthday and Food was amazing! Wine was super reasonably priced! Joëlle was bar none THE BEST SERVER I've ever had!!! We went with his recommendation for wine and it was top notch then went with our own and were really disappointed and he made a hilarious joke about it because he's a Frenchmen and we didn't listen to his opinion. If we ever come back to San Fran we will most definitely stop in!!! I suggest everyone come here!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wish i could say moremymoneymytimeDined on 10/9/2014Should have gone to Ruth's Chris, at least there, the bread is warm and they come fill your glass. The manager at Alfred's was a doll, I think he was aware we were waiting to order, waiting for our drinks, waiting for napkins... just waiting. The server was very impatient and rushed our order, I was a bit bothered with such lack of service at a restaurant that serves dinner at a minimum of 40$ a cut, gave me the fattiest cut with barely any meat, wouldn't have been so disappointed if this was another chain or a mom and pop type of place. But with this type of service, we will not be coming back. maybe be nicer? Didn't help the gratuity was included because he did not deserve a 48$ tip. Food was decent, but would rather go somewhere else.
- Best Steakhouse Experience in S.F.gbpsfDined on 10/7/2014Perfect steaks and sides. Beautiful dark decor. Classic wait staff. Handsome bar. Good prices (check out the 49er special). Great ownership. Can't do better in SF or anywhere when it comes to the steakhouse experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.. the price was good.jb1234Dined on 10/4/2014Did not like the additional 17% automatically added plus requested gratuitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time AmbiencedinerDined on 10/4/2014Ambience was nice like old time restaurants in SF. Martinis are a plus, shaken at your table. Steaks and rack of lamb was good. Service was not up to par. After food was served waiter never came back to check on us. I think because an automatic 17% is added to your bill service is not a priority.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningluv2eatwellDined on 10/3/2014We hosted our friends from Canada at Alfred's during a weekend trip to SF. I had booked our table through Open Table, and though we arrived a few minutes early, our table was waiting for the four of us. Everything about our visit to Alfred's was sublime, from the French onion soup, wedge salad and mouth watering filet mignon, that you could cut with a fork. The steaks were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- would not go backColleenDined on 10/3/2014Had a reservation on a friday at 5:30 first seating. The caesar salad was over dressed and our main dish of Filet tips, potato's and the veggies were Cold. The waiter could care less and was not friendly. No incentive to give good or even outstanding service since you are requried to give a 17% tip. One and done will not go back.
- MixedHstudVIPDined on 9/30/2014I love coming here but the food especially the steak of all things is inconsistent and this time not very good. The atmosphere and service are excellent. The sides are good, apps are fine, the steak while never on a par with great steakhouses, is often just diner quality.
- Great night outbirthdaygirlDined on 9/27/2014I celebrated my birthday with dinner for 10 at Alfred's on a Saturday night in September. We had a spectacular time. The entire staff was so welcoming and made us comfortable right away. The cocktails were great and we settled in for a perfectly paced meal. Our server was attentive to each person and seemed to know exactly when to turn up and when to leave us be. The food was delicious. The oysters rockefeller and calamari appetizers were wonderful surprises. We had a great time and couldn't have asked for anything more. Thank you, Alfred's!Special Features:
- Alfred's is AmazingSteakDined on 9/27/2014I've had dinner here before a couple of years ago. It has not changed one bit and I hope they don't. The restaurant is still the best steak house in San Francisco and would recommend it. The food was exactly how you ordered it and all the employees are nice / professional. It is a little expensive but with this type of environment, it is worth the cost. I'll go back there again.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014had Friday night dinner to celebrate 1yr anniversary of friend and our recent engagement. overall i was disappointed, but perhaps my expectations were too high. brought wine and asked for it to be decanted, but restaurant was out of decanters. surprising since it was not that crowded. i wanted to order a second bottle of wine but a server did not stop by until one come to leave desert menus. my porterhouse was average at best...expected more for a $50 steak. ceasar salad was "tired" and no offer of fresh pepper which i was surprised by. i left the dinner bummed out by the whole experience. the generously sized martini poured by bartender was definitely the highlight.
- Great find in SFNancyDined on 9/26/2014This was an excellent meal with wonderful sides...try the creamed spinach and macaroni and cheese. Steak was outstanding and cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Always a treatSherryKDined on 9/20/2014Used to come here all the time but have moved across the bay. Still one of my favorites and they didn't disappoint me. Always lovely ambiance, nice local clientele and always wonderful food and service. Stay the same, we'll all keep coming.Special Features:
- filet mignon toughOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014everything else was good but we both had tough meat.
- Home Run!RobertDined on 9/18/2014I took two friends to a Thursday Buckaroo Luncheon Club lunch, and I suspect they are now life-long adherents. Joel, our waiter, did his usual flawless and friendly service and the food was exactly as advertised--served properly, hot and very good. My experience with Alfred's is exclusively on Thursdays at lunch, so I can't speak for the dinner fare. This is a great place for a business lunch, with a real club-like atmosphere, tables far enough from the next for private conversations, and enough elegance to be enjoyable without being over the top. Marco (owner and host) and Clare greet each diner warmly and make a visit feel very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014You can't go wrong with anything here, from start to finish, everything was great. Steaks were cooked to perfection, sides were great, service was very efficient, the special priced 49er menu was fantastic value. Only issue was at the bar when the service was very very slow, and there was only another couple there, so not like barman was rushed off his feet. Overall I would definitely go back but have our cocktails at the table instead.Special Features:
- PERFECTbirthdaysurpriseDined on 9/13/2014When booking Alfred's Steakhouse I asked if there was any way of making my husband feel special on his birthday. Myself and my husband were just blown away with the attention he received. When we were greeted, the server said "hello Alex, Happy birthday Sir". My husband felt so very special and surprised. We ordered a cheesecake for dessert and it came on a beautiful happy birthday plate with a candle. We were not charged for his birthday dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firecaptain21Dined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful time , nice atmosphere , everyone was there was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to Rememberglam2dineDined on 9/6/2014Alfred's was a dream!!!! The restaurant ambiance was perfect for my husband's 38th birthday, and we were pleased to see that a few other parties were celebrating birthdays as well. The décor was rich with old school charm, and the wait staff was absolutely dreamy. We began our night at the bar with a very interesting mixologist by the name of Windsor. Neither of us knew what we wanted as this was our first time; however, he knew exactly what to make us and it was spot on. My husband drank Vespers all night and I fell in love with the Alfredo Rosso. The wonderfully made drinks along with the rich bordello red décor made me feel as if I was a member of a royal court. Absolute must for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- afficinadoDined on 9/6/2014meat was undercooked for one of the dishes; soup arrives before the bread; 17% mandatory tip masked as some sort of tax; french onion soup was very sour. for high-end steakhouse, this is not very satisfactory
- Classic SFOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014This is a classic SF Steakhouse, my father went there 30 years ago when it was on Broadway. They are now located (for the last 16 years) at the site of the old Blue Fox restaurant on Merchant. They validate parking. It is for sure a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience is so good!NobHillDined on 9/6/2014Ambience and service is excellent. We enjoyed our dinner. Price is a little bit expensive.Special Features:
- Restaurant gone downhillloveaqualityrestaurantDined on 8/30/2014We had been to Alfred's in the past and at that time it was very good. The ambiance is great if you like that classic 20's looking style restaurant. For the price of the food it was not very good. The Rib Eye steak was just "OK". I have had better steaks for less price. Not much flavor and it was a bit on the chewy side. The steak was cooked the way I had asked for it but lacked the rich steak flavor that would have expected. My wife had the live Maine lobster and it was over-priced for what she got. Not much flavor. For desert we ordered chocolate Torte and "classic" cheesecake. The Chocolate torte was ok. The "classic" cheesecake did not have the same taste or texture of what we would call a classic cheesecake. Small PiecesSpecial Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014While there may be more popular / trendy restaurants...Alfred's is; "Unapologetically Old School." The ambiance is comfortable, service is prompt, staff is all class and of course the food is amazing (If Steak and Potatoes is what you are looking for.) I'd recommend Alfred's for a business dinner, night out with the guys and/or a place to take mum and dad.Special Features:
- superb steaks & servicezweisteinDined on 8/21/2014Superb service and meal at their Thursday only luncheon. Too bad they don't serve lunch every day. Best Martini-Manhattan I ever had.Special Features:
- Lazy staff trying to leave earlyIdontdoreviewseverDined on 8/19/2014Combined, my dining companion and I have spent $1000s at Alfreds, dating back to their previous location. Let's just say we will never go back. Made a reservation at 8:36 for a 9 pm seating. Arrived at 9:08 and the smug front of house/manager berated us for not calling and said the kitchen was already closed as of 9pm. I have a receipt from Uber. No, I'm not exaggerating. If you don't want to be open, don't offer the reservation. And then, to get attitude? That's ridiculous. Do the math, we arrive at 9:08 and the kitchen has already been shut down? What's the grace period? 2 minutes? There are plenty of fine places to dine in SF. With service like that at a fine dining spot, it's no wonder why Alfred's is empty at 9 pm.
- excellent classic steak restaurantntvesfDined on 8/19/2014Loved the food and ambiance. The waiter was efficient but not friendly. Host was very nice. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint steakhouseSFLocalDined on 8/19/2014For a high end steak house, food was ok and over priced. My salmon was over cooked and my guests shared that their steaks were a little over done as well. The decor was great...very old and historical inside...loved that they keep it close to original. Service was so, so. I would only return if I couldn't get into anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alfred'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Finding myself out of town and alone on my birthday, I sought a special place to have my private celebration. The book in my hotel room had listings of various restaurants. Alfred's ad stuck out as being confident, understated and quietly bold. I chose wisely. the greeting at the door was warm and friendly, my server was attentive and helpful and the food was plentiful and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eats outEatsoutVIPDined on 8/16/2014I have eaten at Alfred's many times and have always enjoyed it. This dinner was the exception. We waited over a half an hour before a waiter took our order. We ordered 3 salads for the table (5 guests); they brought 2- the waiter decided that would be enough! The oyster appetizer did not materialize, but the french fries we ordered to go with our main course did. It was literally tossed at the table. The fact that we has no plates, and he brought no condiments with it was lost on the server (tosser?). The oysters finally materialized after some prodding. The main course finally came, and was good...but they were OUT of porterhouse steaks. The owner did try apologizing and comped drinks and dessert. I just hate to see an SF icon stumble.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bartender!JillDined on 8/16/2014Alfred's policy is to eschew any seasoning on its steaks. It's a bad policy. But the bartender is terrific. My advice is have a drink or two at the bar then go somewhere else for dinner.
- Not the best in townMesaDined on 8/15/2014We recently ate at Alfred's and I have to say it was not a great experience. For being recommended as a top steak house, the steak was just okay. The chicken was the best thing on the menu. The server was very short with us and inattentive. For the price we paid it was not worth it.
- Still greatBuffVIPDined on 8/14/2014I love Alfred's; best steaks, best Caesar salad, best Martini's, great onion rings; it's my go to spot for meat and drinks :-)Special Features:
- Historic charm and delicious steaksSFdoomedDined on 8/9/2014Existing in what is now an obscure alleyway next to the cement monstrosity that is the Chinatown Hilton Hotel, Alfred's Steakhouse is a reminder of San Francisco's golden past, as stepping into the historic establishment is somewhat like stepping into a time portal to the 1930's or 40's. What a delightful contrast to all of the trendy, industrial-themed "foodie" restaurants popping up all over town! The service was wonderful, the staff welcoming and friendly (the owner visited our table and chatted with us for a few minutes), and the steaks were delicious. My wife kept remarking about how reasonable the wine prices were and how the selection was impressive. Overall, the experience was excellent and highly recommended for a romantic date.Special Features:
- ILoveBrunchVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here was good but not the best steak I have had in San Francisco. The service was also fairly slow. The restaurant adds a 17% service charge which likely eliminates any incentive the waitstaff would have to go above and beyond as they know they will be tipped at least the 17% after the meal is over.Special Features:
- mediocredreaDined on 8/9/2014i was really excited for this place. i wanted it to be a fine steakhouse, with old san francisco flare. Service: The hostess was great, but the server felt a little snippy and overworked. Food: it was okay, but not great for the price. the NY strip was fatty, and the filet was tougher than a filet at the price needed to be. The fried creme dessert was not good. It was too boozy and tasted like it was fried in onion ring batter. However, the caesar salad and the creamed spinach were great. The ambiance was nice and quiet. I will probably not return here. I wanted more of a Ruths Chris level experience, but it was much less than that.Special Features: