214 East 52nd St.
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alfamanyc.com/
- Phone: 2127595552
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday from 12 to 4 p.m.
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday from 4 to 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Weekend brunch from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Carlos Arriaga
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Entertainment, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Alfama offers on and off-site customized catering packages for all sorts of occasions, from bridal showers to rehearsal dinners to corporate receptions. For on-site events, audio-visual equipment is offered by the restaurant. Please contact Denise Costa, email@example.com to discuss details.
- Private Party Facilities: An intimate, twelve-seat dining room is tucked behind the bar, while another dining area for up to 30 people occupies the floor below with a large glass window that allows guests to observe the bustling kitchen.
- Private Party Contact: Denise Costa 9173757024
- Entertainment: On Thursday night, Tarcísio Costa, one of Alfama's co-owners, sings Bossa Nova and is accompanied by guitarrist David Cordeiro.
Alfama recreates the atmosphere of a typical Lisbon taverna by offering live Fado music in its downstairs dining room. Performances are on hiatus for the summer, but will come back in late September, on Saturday night. Nathalie Pires, a talented young Fadista is the main act here. There is no cover charge, but dinner reservations are required.
- Special Events: Alfama, in its continuous quest to promote Portuguese culture, wines and gastronomy, offers a plethora of events throughout the year. The best way to be informed is by signing up to receive our newsletter. Please join our e-club. We will never share your e-mail with anyone. Promise!
- Cross Street: 2nd and 3rd avenues
- Public Transit: Subway on Lexington and 51st: F, E, and the number 6 train.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are a few parking garages in the area. However, we recommend Connaugth Tower Car Park located at 300 East 54th street, between 1st and second avenues, a three-minute walk from Alfama. Tel: 212-223-4891.
We have a partnership with them and we will give you a $5 discount. Just present us your claim ticket before leaving Alfama.
A word from Alfama
Modern, mouth-watering Portuguese cooking in Midtown-East in an elegant, relaxing and convivial new space. Executive Chef Carlos Arriaga takes a fresh approach to the country's cuisine, with modern dishes rooted in Portuguese classics and also inspired by the country's many former colonies from Brazil to Goa to Southern Africa.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alfama reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great please, testy food,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/12/2013Great please, testy food, nice atmosphere, highly recommend.Special Features:
- We went for a dinner for theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2013We went for a dinner for the first time. We were always curious about this restaurant by walking by. Grilled Octopus from appetizer menu was amazing... It was tender and spice they use was wonderful. It was our first Portuguese restaurant experience so we took an advice from the server for what to order. We enjoyed their great service and ambiance. It was certainly a surprise discovery in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Could not have guessed whatCTCommuterDined on 3/10/2013Could not have guessed what a fabulous dining experience awaited us when we walked in to this rather small space (there is another room and a lower level). The bar is an absolute must as one of the partners creates tasty cocktails using the unique wines and brandies of Portugal - along with fresh citrus...delicious and a perfect preparation for the flavors to follow. We followed his appetizer and dinner suggestions and all 3 of us were delighted! Portions were generous and fish dishes were outstanding! Do save room for the lemon custard tarts- they are to die for!!!! If you are splurging (at least for us it was) try a bottle of Parus wine at $85. Did not know that Portugal is 6th largest wine producing country. Will be back!!Special Features:
- The food is good and well-prepared;lovetoeatVIPDined on 3/5/2013The food is good and well-prepared; the service was attentive. It is difficult for us to recommend this restaurant as we were not made to feel welcome. Immediately upon entering the restaurant, we were asked if we were using a "Groupon coupon", which we were. We then were given a "special" menu with limited choices and some items were not available. We were relegated to a dining room in the basement along with other Groupon customers although there were tables available on the main floor. The bill total was higher than the items on the menu, and then different subtractions were made. The total was acceptable, but the configurations were not understandable.Special Features:
- The food was good. The owners/manaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/4/2013The food was good. The owners/managers are two very uninviting men - they are just very unpleasant. I've eaten there twice and the first time, it was maybe an off night. The second time confirmed it - they would apparently prefer if no one came. The wait staff seems to be easily distracted and fairly inexperienced and the place is noisy. I love Portugal and half of the reason is the food, so I should love this place. The food is good. It's even authentic dishes. If the staff was better and the managers/owners seemed like they wanted people in their restaurant, it would be a place I'd consider going back to
- Positive experience, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2013Positive experience, food is great. I had the Marisco Alfama- simply amazing.Special Features:
- Surprisingly bland for a PortugueseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/17/2013Surprisingly bland for a Portuguese restaurant. The service was fine; a bit slow. I found the whole place a bit pretentious. I would not make a special trip to eating there.
- The glass was half emptyTENPINMOMDined on 2/17/2013Nice place, food was only so-so. $12 for a small glass of wine. If you are only going to fill the glass 1/4, then give me a smaller glass. Ridiculous. Not a very friendly bartender. Would not go back.
- Worst dining experience everOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/16/2013Had a terrible experience here. My boyfriend and I were surprised by how rude the host and servers were. Even though we had a reservation, it took a half hour to get a table. The table we were eventually seated at was free from the moment we entered the restaurant. We go out to dinner regularly- at least twice a week. This was by far the worst dining experience I have ever had in New York City.
- Excellent food and serrvice;DennyVIPDined on 2/16/2013Excellent food and serrvice; varied menu, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- they put us in the basement,ToniVIPDined on 2/15/2013they put us in the basement, horrible room, never go back or recommend it. It was so charming when in the village...gone.
- Great food and music as well.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Great food and music as well. One of our favorites.Special Features:
- Valentines DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Good food + fine wine + nice atmosphere + great staff + reasonable price + "the" girl = BINGOSpecial Features:
- BEST RICE PUDDDING ON THEgotogeezersDined on 2/13/2013BEST RICE PUDDDING ON THE PLANET, BUT...................... OUR PARTY OF 4 VISITED ONE COLD WINTRY DAY. a GROUP OF CUSTOMERS WAITED OUTSIDE IN THE COLD AND THE MANAGER WATCHED US SHIVERING BUT DID NOT OPEN THE DOORS UNTIL 5:30 ON THE DOT. IT WOULD NOT HAVE HURT HIM TO EXTEND GOOD WILL AND OPEN FEW MINUTES EARLIER.HE SEEMED ALOOF AND LESS PESONABLE WHEN SHOWING US TO THE TABLE. THIS COLORED MY FIRST IMPRESSSION OF THE RESTAURANT. THE FOOD WAS REASONABLY GOOD BUT STAFF WAS EFFICIENT BUT IMPERSONAL.
- Food was good but wasn't theBarflyVIPDined on 2/10/2013Food was good but wasn't the most hospitable of dining experiences. Service was also very spotty.
- Very tasty foodMaysinDined on 2/7/2013Delicious food. I will definitely go back again and again!Special Features:
- Be sure to try the codfishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/6/2013Be sure to try the codfish cakes as an appetizer. If you like shrimp order the "acorda de camarao" - a peasant dish made with shrimp and bread, very delicious. The "bacalhau espiritual" is rich and delicious. We had a wonderful meal.
- The Portuguese wine list wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2013The Portuguese wine list was wonderful. Service was gracious, helpful, efficient. The interior design added to the experience.Special Features:
- Didn't care for the tiny martiniStu11VIPDined on 2/2/2013Didn't care for the tiny martini with tiny olives, but the wine list is good and the food great. Service was limited and very very slow, but we weren't in a rush and didn't care.Special Features:
- The Portuguese food here isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2013The Portuguese food here is more traditional than others, I would rate it excellent. But American food like steak and fries are ok only, no comparison to their Portuguese dishes. Ambiance was nice with the guitarist and live singing. Staff are very nice and polite. The egg tarts are best in town.Special Features:
- Very goodTravelerDined on 1/31/2013Delicious traditional Portuguese cuisine. Service a little slow, but friendly and helpful. Whatever you do, do not leave without tasting their pasteis de nata (custard tarts) for dessert or take out. Best I have had outside of Lisbon.Special Features:
- The best participating restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2013The best participating restaurant during "restaurant week". Very good food.Special Features:
- Romantic Portugese gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/29/2013My girlfriend and I had a lovely time in this warm romantic portugese escape. The servers were attentive,the matre'd charming and the food was delicious. Definitely an unexpected delight.Special Features:
- Alfama is okayMimiDined on 1/27/2013The service easy excellent but the food- brunch was average
- It was my second time visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013It was my second time visiting the restaurant during Restaurant Week. We weren't very impressed by the food and service. It took a while for the food to arrive even though there were not many people at the time we were seated. The appetizer were good, but the main dish were not that impressive. The egg custards were served cold which we all thought it would be better they were served warm. It was a so so experience. Maybe it is just the Restsurant week. Maybe we will give another try during the regular days.Special Features:
- It was nice! I enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2013It was nice! I enjoyed the food but its not a place that I would be excited to return
- We had a very nice mushroomCrombieVIPDined on 1/22/2013We had a very nice mushroom soup. My main course was a pasta with spinach, shrimp and ginger. Very unusual and good taste. My companion had a large dish of pork and clams which he enjoyed very much.Special Features:
- Good food nice wine. A bitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013Good food nice wine. A bit pricy but very high end Portuguese food.Special Features:
- Food was great, but the hostMetFanVIPDined on 1/19/2013Food was great, but the host was gruff, thereby taking away from the overall experience.Special Features:
- I don't enjoy how most tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013I don't enjoy how most tables are so close to each other...
- Not Great, But GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/17/2013Good but not great. But good. Food was good, better than other places, but not as good as others. Good overall. There was nothing that stood out about the restaurant. Nice architecture and flow. My wife and I went there to sample the cuisine and it was... good. I wouldn't call it special in any way.Special Features:
- Really remarkable PortugueseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2013Really remarkable Portuguese food. The rather traditional Brazilian live music (Bossa Nova classics) was ok but not really necessary.Special Features:
- My friends and I were thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/16/2013My friends and I were there specifically for fado. The group started a bit late, but performed at least 3 or 4 sets. The atmosphere was lively, but not overwhelming. The music was pleasant and the food very good. We lingered because of the music, but no one bothered us. It appeared as it they were not concerned about another seating. The wait staff was mature and polite
- Food with Fadoluv2dineDined on 1/16/2013Once more I enjoyed the great food of Alfama. This time I have the great opportunity to see a new Portuguese group singing Portuguese and Brazilian reomantics and hat a surprise: One of the owners just prove havin an extra talent besides anfitriate well, he can sing Fado pretty well, with all his soul and charm.Special Features:
- I had pork and clams dishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2013I had pork and clams dish which was too oily. The soup and dessert were excellent.
- Appetizers (squid and mushroomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/16/2013Appetizers (squid and mushroom soup) were excellent. Also excellent were the desserts (meringue in custard and natas). My dinner partner liked the pork dish he ordered. My chicken was not too dry and the greens with red pepper were very fresh. I tried one potato, supposedly fried, and left the rest. Not what I would expect from a french fry.
- The cook prepared the salmonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2013The cook prepared the salmon medium-rare, which some might find unusual but provided a fascinating texture contrast with the blackened surface. The restaurant looks amazing, with a classy but relaxed ambiance.Special Features:
- Went here with a groupon.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/13/2013Went here with a groupon. I'm not a fan of groupon only menus that then show other dishes that aren't included in the deal. With that being said, the food we did eat was very good. i wouldn't go out of my way to return, but i wouldn't be opposed to returning if the opportunity arose.
- We visited for brunch andOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/13/2013We visited for brunch and the restaurant was quiet - which was nice. Eggs benedict and octopus/broccoli rabe appetizer were underseasoned and not spectacular. We are used to eating at Avra and Kellari Taverna (Greek, but similar in style/menu) which ranks above.
- I went for brunch and enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/12/2013I went for brunch and enjoyed the entire experience! Delicious food!!!!Special Features: