ALFA bar & dining room
200 Waring Road
Syracuse, NY 13224Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
ALFA bar & dining room
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://alfarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (315) 445-1976
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday 4pm - 8pm. Tuesday - Thursday: 4pm - 9pm
Friday - Saturday: 4pm-10pm
Tuesday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2pm
Sunday brunch 11am - 2 pm
Closed on Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Vegetarian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from ALFA bar & dining room
ALFA seeks out the freshest seasonal ingredients, many of which come from local producers. Our menu changes often as we find new things to offer. We are an entirely scratch kitchen, and we are especially proud of our vegetarian selections... We have a great kid's menu also ... Join us for Sunday Brunch... Enjoy our roaring fireplace on these chilly days! We have plenty of space for private dining also.....Continued
See pictures of our food and like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Alfasyracuse
See pictures of our food and like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Alfasyracuse
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
ALFA bar & dining room - Best Restaurants in Syracuse ›
ALFA bar & dining room reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (27)notable wine list (19)good for groups (18)special occasion (16)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (10)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (6)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- PickyHoraceDined on 11/22/2014The atmosphere was lovely and the service great. The food is good but pricey for what I ordered. $18 for far farfalle with chunks of butternut squash without any other side included is excessive. Being a vegetarian it was the best choice. Not great value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!CandyDined on 11/21/2014Although I had a little trouble finding Alfa, it was worth the search! Food was outstanding, from the soup to the homemade ice cream. Although someone forgot our salads, we had more than enough food. I can't wait to return for brunch! Love the variety in appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BandDDined on 11/11/2014We'd been meaning to try Alfa since it opened. We were delighted with our experience and will definitely go again...and spread the good word to others.Special Features:
- Unfortunate OutingSyrafoodieDined on 11/2/2014My daughter loves brunch at ALFA, and due to my schedule, we haven't been able to get there for a while. They have changed over from summer to winter service, which is fine for me in terms of ambience. We arrived and were asked to wait by a hostess, who never returned from the dining room to seat us. Eventually another group came in behind us and were pressing to be seated, and one of the waitstaff (who recognized me as a regular patron) took us to a table. Our server was harried and inexperienced and had to be hailed for almost every request. I do not know where the problem lay, kitchen or on the floor, but service (while pleasant) was unpleasantly slow and disorganized. This is not the usual way in this restaurant.Special Features:
- Alfa Bar & RestaurantfunfatdaddyDined on 11/1/2014Excellent food! Loved the fire pit! Wonderful dining experience! Will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Syracuse MomSyracusemomDined on 11/1/2014We tried Alfa bar when we came to Syracuse U. for parents weekend. The atmosphere was cozy on a cold night (we sat in the room with the fire pit). The service was excellent. Most importantly, the food was outstanding. My son and I had the beef tenderloin, which was incredibly tender. My husband and son started with oysters, which they said were very fresh. We all loved the truffles for desert. We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find near Syracuse UnivmarkVIPDined on 10/31/2014One of the few places we could make a reservation on Parent's Weekend. Should have been packed, though, based on the quality of food and the service. Simply wonderful. Perfect for dinner, lunch, or brunch.Special Features:
- Excellent!MaryJuliaDined on 10/21/2014Food was great, service was excellent! Will return! Like the idea that the menu is based on what is available locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try itRichertDined on 10/19/2014Four of us had brunch at ALFA. It was our third visit there for brunch. The brunch menu has a number of unique offerings and everything we've tried has been excellent. Try the house-made artisanal ketchups on your breakfast potatoes. The service has always been top notch. On previous visits, which were during the summer, we had been seated in a sunny, porch-like area. On this visit, with the cooler weather, we were seated in the main dining room which had a charming fireplace that added to the warm ambiance. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a classy affairAliceSDined on 10/18/2014This is our fourth time coming to Alfa, and it certainly will not be our last. The ambiance at night with their roaring fire pit is top notch, as is their food and service. I would definitely recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food - inadequate serviceShrinkVIPDined on 10/18/2014We've been regulars at Alfa's and enjoy the food. Saturday night went with friends. The short ribs were yummy. Everyone liked their meal. The service was off. Very long waits for appetizers and main dish and minimal attention from our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014One of the best fine dining restaurants in the Syracuse area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningSyrafoodieDined on 9/23/2014I love having ALFA in the neighborhood. The food quality is consistently high. I came with a friend, and we both also remarked that our teen children love to come for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Menu And Wine!restfamDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I were surprised that a nine hole golf course restaurant hidden away in a neighborhood would have such a fantastic menu and wine list! Alfa only uses fresh ingredients, so the menu changes every day. There are no specials, but there is no need! The wine list is 10 pages front and back filled with anything from New York state wines to California, but specializing in French wine.Special Features:
- Disappointing first time visitLovetoeatDined on 8/23/2014ALFA was recommended to us by friends so we tried it on a Saturday evening. There is no atmosphere in the small dining room we ate in. Bare brown walls, bare windows. Food was okay. Requested med rare lamb ribs half were medium and half med rare. odd corn concoction on top of them. Seasonal vegetables were nicely done, but the rectangular plate the food was served on was packed and things kept sliding off it onto the table. Other meal- swordfish tacos- should have been an appetizer. Two small strips of fish in each taco. Waitress warned us that it was a light meal, but this was lighter than envisioned for $18.
- Good Food....Mediocre ServiceSyrguy68Dined on 8/11/2014The food at ALFA was great. Flavorful and cooked exactly as ordered. The service was mediocre with my group waiting 20 minutes for the server to come back to take our meal order while our drinks were being made. We chose to sit outside due to the noise level of patrons are the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Fresh!KathyHVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were very pleased with our dinner; it was the best duck breast and halibut we've ever had. The ingredients were fresh; combinations were innovative; service was attentive. Will definitely return here again. We've heard that the Sunday brunch is excellent!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Great food and ambience. The next best thing to food and service was no loud music playing. Definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alpha RestaurantfinedineDined on 8/1/2014The food was both visually delightful and quite delicious! The outdoor atmosphere was comfortable, pleasant and somewhat elegant. The hostess let us know we were free to let them know if we were bothered by the tiki torches after she lit them. None of us noticed them. Two things need improvement: (1) The round table where we were seated originally was much too wobbly and not addressed politely by our waitress. When asked if the table was sturdy enough she said rudely "you tell me". We requested to be moved which our waitress helped with but was not gracious. (2) Gentle background music would have been a nice addition.Special Features:
- The following 130 reviews are from the ALFA bar & dining room reviews archive.
- So glad we went thereXenoDined on 7/27/2014Food was fantastic , service great. selection between vegetarian and meat lovers farm to table light, fresh and satisfying courses. Especially outstanding was the faux escargot for an appetizer. I had the lamb tenderloin which was outstanding. Very nice wine list. Would recommend to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Had a great time food was good service was also good would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- SadOnceAWeekDined on 7/26/2014We arrived on time for our reservations. We were not greeted warmly but felt like we were a bit of an inconvenience. The first think we noticed is the restaurant smells moldy and sour. We were taken to our table and I immediately noticed some of our dishes were dirty and there were a couple of flies that we ended up having to put out of their misery. Our waitress was average at best. The breadbasket was so dusty and greasy I assume it was left over from the Saratoga Steakhouse days. We ordered an appetizer, entrée and desert. The appetizer and entrée were both a horrible disappointment. The signature home-made ketchup was like watered down ketchup mixed with A-1 steak sauce. The one thing we did enjoy was the desert and coffee.Special Features:
- FRESH , LOCAL & DELICIOUS !SaluteVIPDined on 7/25/2014Alexia never disappoints ! Fresh roasted fig salad with smoked blue cheese. Such a great combination. Grilled Halibut ... impossibly fresh and tasty. Mark always makes us feel special and quietly but efficiently makes sure all is going smoothly throughout the restaurant. Sarah is so knowledgeable ... we have come to appreciate wines that we may have never thought to try. Just a satisfying experience all around !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CristaCristaDined on 7/20/2014We loved our anniversary dinner at Alfa so much that we came back te next night with the kids! Kids? Yes they love kids. Best kids menu ever too filled with real food and dessert was homemade and a real show stopper! Do try the soup sampler. It's not to be missed. The duck burger is amazing too. Honestly everything is a win on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a Hit or Miss!BuzzfeedDined on 7/17/2014We have been to Alfa several times. We enjoy dining outside. Great menu and good wine. This experience was a miss! It started with poor drinks from the bar. My husband Mojito was not make correctly. The sugar was still crystallized at the bottom of his glass. My friends pomegranate Cosmo was lacking taste. We decided to order only what came in a bottle! Flatbread pizza and calamari was excellent. The lamb chop and whole grain pasta was also very good. Dessert was disappointing and not 2 out of 6 could enjoy a Baileys, as the bar ran out. Our server did not check on us and we often had to wave him down. Overall, an OK experience. Haven't given up on this place yet. Will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good night at Alfa for me.love2skiDined on 7/15/2014Sorry to have had a disappointing experience when I was looking forward to a pleasant one. The waiter was disinterested. Service was poor. He never asked how things were. My escargots were overcooked and the greens on my fig salad had seen a better day. Never asked if we needed more bread or anything else. He was quite a dour fellow. When we were finished with dessert , I had to approach the waiter (who sat at the bar) with my credit card to ask that the bill be tallied. My son had a shrimp cocktail and a hamburger entree. He seem pleased with his meal.Special Features:
- Wish the service was betterdiningcoupleDined on 7/14/2014There were great expectations for this establishment based on its renown chef. However, things have changed since l'Adour. The first time that I went , on a Thursday, the food and service was very good. This past Monday, the server could not have been worse. You know it is bad when one patron asks- "Are you going to offer us desert?". There is so much potential here. It's a shame to see it wasted. Consolation prize: great French-heavy wine list.Special Features:
- Hidden GemGoodSpiritsDined on 7/7/2014You'd never know that one of Syracuse's most creative restaurants is located in a golf course. The food is amazing. Try the four soup sampler as a starter. Not only did everything arrive at the same time for our party of five, but it was all served at the proper temperatures. Check out their incredible list of wines, aperitifs and spirits as well. One of the best in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wholesome and DeliciousB30FDined on 7/2/2014Remarkably flavorful food made from fresh, local ingredients. You could watch the chef get herbs for your dish from the restaurant's herb garden just outside the dining room window -- can't get much fresher than that! Certainly some of the best food in Central New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful sunday brunchEya1956Dined on 6/29/2014Love Alpha! Food was delicious, presentation lovely, and wait service attentive and efficient. I will look forward to many more visits to a fabulous neighborhood find!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stbnkdnDined on 6/29/2014Excellent food and service! We love bringing out of town friends for this wonderful dining experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014The food is better every time we come. Everyone in my group enjoyed their meals. I chose to eat in the bar to relax. It was crowded but the service was VERY slow, even allowing for that. We got drinks and then no food order (for a hungry crew) for too long. I brought friends from out of town so that was disappointing.Special Features:
- Great Dessert (and dinner too)LetsDoItDined on 6/21/2014We were at the half iron man in Syracuse and decided to eat here because they had a kids menu. we ate inside because we had three large tables but if we had less people it would have been very nice to sit outside. Everyone there was nice, friendly and just plain awesome. The food was great. the pizza app was delicious. my husband wanted plain chicken with pasta because he was racing even that tasted really good. the desserts were the best. I have never had such delicious ice cream and truffles before. I wish we lived near this restaurant. I would vacation up there just to go to dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting take on traditionalHarpLadyDined on 6/14/2014Fresh ingredients from a wonderful, creative chef. Not the same old, same old. Loved it and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice way to end the weekwwcrossettDined on 6/13/2014Friday night show be defined by a very well constructed vodka martini followed by a nice meal. Alpha meant all the requirements including fresh chef made deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlfaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Excellent restaurant on all counts! Would recommend for special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- Sat. night dinner for 4jhski81Dined on 5/24/2014Food and service was very good.Nice GF options. It was pricey for what you got,our tab was just over $200.00 for 4 with tax, tip, 5 drinks and 1 dessert,2 soups. 3 meals were Salmon and 1 lamb burger with fries and slaw. Salads were not included and were $10-12 if ordered with your meal! A bit steep!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SweeneyDined on 5/24/2014This restaurant is a neighborhood gem as well as an excellent local restaurant. Our food has been terrific. Great wait staff. It's quiet. You are not rushed and not left unattended. The menus are carefully put together and have a broad range of cost. Parking is excellent. We give it 5 stars!Special Features:
- Destination RestaurantJeffsterVIPDined on 5/17/2014I made reservations three months prior, we had a large group and it was a very special occasion. I actually called the owner to confirm twice and to reserve a private room. When we checked in the receptionist had no idea that we had a private room. They scrambled to set the room up which was not a big deal. I asked the receptionist to please have the owner come over to talk to me. The owner was there but did not have the courtesy to come over and speak to me. I did take offense to that and would never go back nor recommend this establishment because of that. The food was good, some dishes came late and cold. The service was extremely spotty. They did comp us dessert and a drink. Nice touch but too little too late.Special Features:
- Love the dessertsArtmom8Dined on 5/15/2014A group of us gals had a lovely, leisurely dinner here with excellent food selections. I had pre-requested they have the "Floating Island" on theri dessert menu and they did! It was fantastic! The bread was fresh and delicious, salads were crisp and all the entres were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.