Alex's Washington Gardens
256 Green Bay Road
Highwood, IL 60040Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Alex's Washington Gardens
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alexswashingtongardens.com/
- Phone: 8474320309
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Jose Briseno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Our entire restaurant and bar are available for private lunch or afternoon gatherings as we open at 5 PM for regular business. For off-site catering, we can provide food only, or servers and bartenders as you wish. Call Jim, the owner, at 847-980-1954 to discuss party and catering options.
A word from Alex's Washington Gardens
Made from scratch, family recipe Italian cuisine in Highwood since 1932, and at it's current location since 1982. Serving a selection of Fresh Seafood delivered daily including our very popular Prince Edward Island Steamed Mussels. Also, we offer some of the best thin crisp crust pizza, which was the first pizza served on the North Shore at Scornavacco's since 1944. All the classics are here, homemade pastas, hand carved and pounded out chicken and veal parmigiana, limone, piccata, and of course lasagnas, meatballs, and of course homemade desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Alex's Washington Gardens - Best Restaurants in Highwood ›
Alex's Washington Gardens reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (9)special occasion (7)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Another Great Dinnerjoejul1530Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I have been going to Washington Gardens for years. It is one of our favorite restaurants in Highwood. We always are greeted warmly by the owner and out table was waiting for us. Their Steak Al Forno was excellent and the salmon was amazing. Great service. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodtriangleartVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have been going to this restaurant for many years. Have not been dissapointed in the food and the service/Special Features:
- GREAT SERVICEchowhoudchickVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had wonderful service from top to bottom. The food was awesome. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Kelly's Back!SlainteVIPDined on 8/29/2014After a five year absence, Kelly has rejoined Beth and the rest of the amazing staff at AWG serving the most flavorful steak in Highwood. If you haven't dined at this wonderful Italian restaurant, do yourself a favor and make a reservation. Great food, friendly service, and generous libations! What else could you want?!Special Features:
- Relaxing eveningLoverome2Dined on 8/24/2014Food was delicious, service was excellent. We were not rushed but allowed to sit and talk and enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Washington GardensbsullDined on 8/16/2014We love Washington Gardens. Food is outstanding 2 members of my family love the frog legs. Ambience is outstanding and we always request the fun table. Beth has always been our waitress and she is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- triangleartVIPDined on 8/9/2014as always, the place was jumping..we were taken care of very nicelySpecial Features:
- too crowdedLike2eatitalianVIPDined on 8/6/2014They added 2 extra tables and we felt like we were sitting on top of the table next to us.Special Features:
- crabsisters3Crabsisters3Dined on 8/2/2014Another great experience at Washington Gardens. I appreciated how they honored the reservation on time and the service was "spot on." We didn't feel rushed and the servers timing was excellent. Can't wait to go hack!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All is wellMurphDined on 7/25/2014Everything is good but a little pricey. Food is good and service is fine. We were seated exactly at the time of our reservtion.Special Features:
- Great Italian DishestunkieDined on 7/20/2014Enjoyed the sauce on the Chicken Marsala topped with mushrooms.Special Features:
- The host is welcomingjerryDined on 7/19/2014When you enter the host / owner makes you feel very welcome. We waited a little longer for a table the host felt would be better for the three of us. He was right. The food was great at a reasonable price . We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceGroovyTravellerVIPDined on 7/19/2014Steal a la Willie was outstanding. Other 3 meals were great. Everyone enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pass this place upEducatedpalateVIPDined on 7/18/2014Pizza has cardboard crust. Mussels were tough and overlooked shrimp de Jonge were buried in mounds of oily burnt breadcrumbs and shrimp were also overlooked. They need a new chef or a new owner. Probably the worst food in Highwood
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014Always great! Salmon Oreganata was terric. Pizza always yummy. Great pour for drinks. The chocolate cake was amazing. Kelly was a very attentive server. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014Washington Gardens came highly recommended for a romantic setting for a first date restaurant. I had a reservation specifically asking for a quiet table away from the bar. Upon arrival I reminded the hostess that I wanted a quiet table. While we were seated away from the bar, we were not seated at one of the more secluded tables. At times the noise level was so loud that my date and I couldn't hear each other.
- triangleartVIPDined on 6/28/2014As always. It was fun! We met many people that we knew. Food, as always, was outstanding Service was great. They have the best waitstaff around. The two of us love to go there.Special Features:
- good surprisecitykidVIPDined on 6/27/2014i had no expectations, and therefore was very happily surprised with the great menu, good food, and good service. of italian restaurants i would rate the food as 9 out of 10. very good wait staff, and good service. for dessert, do not skip the cannoli; maybe the best ever, and the waitress said home made. i would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uninspiredjwtmsDined on 6/27/2014After a decent starter of tender but under-seasoned calamari everything went downhill. My Caprese salad, although a nice size, was layered with unripened, flavorless tomatoes and supermarket mozzarella. My husband ordered the Salmon teriyaki at the urging of the waitress (I was suggesting something that resembled Italian flavors but she said it was a bestseller and amazing). The salmon was cooked through (should have been cooked a little less) and the teriyaki sauce was...not something that should be served at an Italian restaurant. The side of rice, in addition to being cold, was something that tasted like what would come out of a cafeteria. It wasn't worth trying dessert. Too bad Alex's chooses not to use higher quality ingredients.Special Features:
- Love this placeJamie1Dined on 6/13/2014Alex's Washington Gardens was such a great place to enjoy a really tasty meal! So glad my sister picked it out for us to enjoy good food and good talk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everMunchkin514VIPDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant has been a Highwood staple forever, and the food and service have been immune to trends and fads. The food is what I would expect at an excellent Italian's cook's home and the welcome is equal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsClaireroseVIPDined on 5/31/2014An oldie and goodie in town. We love the no nonsense Italian eatery with friendly service close to home. Portions are huge so leftovers were enjoyed by kids later that night. We will return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alex's Late SeatingtolucabirdVIPDined on 5/25/2014Even though we had a reservation, we had to wait 15 minutes for a reservation. We were uncomfortable in a booth about half the size of a normal booth.
- 3 out of 4GroovyTravellerVIPDined on 5/25/2014Three dinners were great. Lasagna was overcooked. Veal marsala and bbq salmon were very enjoyable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoRunnerREHDined on 5/24/2014We were warmly greeted but a bit early so off to their bar we went. Their their drink pours were very generous and the atmosphere was fun. The menu had plenty of tasty choices. My wife enjoyed a type of chicken fettuccine alfredo dish that was prepared with cranberries and nice tasty bits of basil. Quite tasty. I enjoyed a tortellini dish that was stiffed with cheese and veal and covered by a rich earthy mushroom sauce. Both dishes were served with a house salad and you had the choice of many dressings. To finish we split a piece of a fresh strawberry pie on a nutty gram cracker crust. A wonderful recommendation from our waitress. It was a great night out an a very good dining experience. Nice place for good conversation and food.Special Features:
- Delizioso!SlainteVIPDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I dined on a Friday evening with our daughter. One of the many reasons I enjoyed our evening at Washington Gardens is how accommodating the kitchen is. The way my daughter orders in restaurants would make Meg Ryan's character in "When Harry Met Sally" proud. But to our delightful server, Beth, it was all no worries. All entrees were wonderfully prepared and my wife, who isn't a fan of red meat, savored a morsel of my steak il forno.Special Features:
- oh what a nighttigerDined on 5/23/2014another great experience... just good stuff! the staff does a great job!
- The following 255 reviews are from the Alex's Washington Gardens reviews archive.
- It started out okay then....EateatVIPDined on 5/22/20142 people ordered the eggplant parmigian and the eggplant could not be chewed...very rubbery. The waitress took it off the check with no questions but they should really take that dish off the menu. A few other people wrote the same review. My kids pasta was good and the fried calamari was also good. the waitress so nice.Special Features:
- Italian SteakhouseSlainteVIPDined on 5/17/2014AWG NOT only serves delicious libations, pasta, pizza, and seafood, but now with the recent addition of Willie's "My Favorite Inn" NY strip steak il forno, this north shore landmark serves very flavorful, juicy, tender steak. The toughest part of dining here is deciding which entree to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizzaThebobDined on 5/11/2014We love their thin pizza. The rest of the food is good too. Love that you can get 1/2 orders of pastaSpecial Features:
- Tired over priced will not returnGoldieVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were looking forward to Classic Italian. Instead we were left waiting 30 minutes for a table. The wait space was cramped-but led us assume a great meal.Once seated the booth was quite worn leaving us to contend with springs that made it uncomfortable! The bread was poor-the cheese was reminiscent of the large tub from costco. We ordered two of the specials-which is scary in retrospect because they were poor-not even Olive Garden quality. The eggplant was tough and difficult to cut as well as chew. The fish was tasty but not worth the price. The service was good however and once seated very quick, pleasant and efficient. We were disappointed and will not return in the near future-too many other good Italian restaurants in the area.
- Dinner at WGNormDined on 4/19/2014Once again another great meal ata reasonable price. They always make a nice full drink. Wasit staff is wonderful and make for a great visit.Special Features:
- First Time DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2014Alex's Washington Gardens was a wonderful first time experience, from the teamwork of the wait staff to the the comlimentary appetizer, and finally to the excellent meal. My family moved to the area several months ago and we always noticed how busy the restaurant appeared as we drove by in our car. We finally decided to give it a try and we are very glad we did. The reservation process through Open Table was very efficient. Although the restaurant was packed, we only waited a few minutes for the table to be cleared. I was impressed on how all the employees teamed together efficiently in an effort to make for a pleasant dining experience. The pizza was excellent, as was my wife's dish (delectable italian fish dish?). We'll be back!Special Features:
- Always lively and deliciousKatieBVIPDined on 4/12/2014Another fun night at the gardens, though this time it was kind of noisy because of a table of 25. Not sure this is really the best place for that size of a group, but everyone was having a fun time.Special Features:
- PLEASE REDUCE AMOUN OF SAUCEDeGaDined on 4/11/2014PLEASE REDUCE AMOUN OF SAUCE ON PLATES. LOOKS TOOOO MCUH TAST IS GOOD THOUGHSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service service serviceMariDined on 3/29/2014The night we arrived the place was packed but the host was very welcomg and took us immediately to a table, honoring our reservation ON TIME. Our waitress and servers were smiling and treated us as though we were regulars even though we were first-timers . Very rare these days . Host even came and got us a soda refill when the other staff was busy. Food was very good with added bonus of half orders available for pasta dishes. We'll be back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great, our favoritekennVIPDined on 3/17/2014Consistently great, our favorite Italian restaurant. best pizza we have had anywhere !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/16/2014We love this place!!! It really is one of my husband's favorites. The food is really good, and the servers are very knowledgeable. The spot could use an update. The bar booths are the best place to eat.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceMillieDined on 3/8/2014Love the food at Alex's Washington Garden and the ambiance. Staff is always very friendly. The place is small but not cramped. And prices are very reasonable. When we're in the area, we always eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menu needs to be updated.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014menu needs to be updated. it has been the same for many years!Special Features: