Alexandra's at Turf Valley
2700 Turf Valley Road
Ellicott City, MD 21042Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Alexandra's at Turf Valley
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alexandrasrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (410) 480-2400
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Russel Svoboda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Alexandra's at Turf Valley
Open to the public, Alexandra's Restaurant is located in the heart of The Hotel at Turf Valley, in a beautiful setting overlooking the impeccably manicured golf greens. Alexandra's talented Executive Chef Russ Svoboda invites you to delight in mouthwatering menu selections featuring inspired reinventions of classic regional specialties, as well as a variety of traditional favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alexandra's at Turf Valley reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (9)romantic (9)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014This was my first time eating at Alexandra's. The food and service was excellent. I was celebrating my Birthday and they acknowledged it from the time I approached the Hostess, until the time I left the restaurant. I was really impressed with that. My server brought me a complimentary cannoli with a candle and wished me a Happy Birthday. I thought that was a very nice gesture. I also had a seasonal drink, Hot Buttered Rum that was phenomenal! If you visit Alexandra's anytime soon and you like rum, it's a must try! The atmosphere and decor are very nice and there is a bar in the restaurant. You can hear the live entertainment upstairs in the lobby area from the restaurant, which some my not like, but it was okay for the occasion. The restaurant is right in a hotel with a spa, which makes it extremely convenient if you want to celebrate an occasion and enjoy an overnight stay as well. I really liked it here and I would highly recommend it. I will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We arrived before the dinner crowd and had a great experience. Attentive staff, tasty entrees and very spacious atmosphere. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alexandra'sshellyDined on 10/27/2014The noise level was very high - there was an event doing on in the upstairs bar & the noise from that filtered into the restaurant. My friends & I had difficulty hearing each other at our table until the event ended (about an hour after we had arrived to the restaurant). It was pretty busy in the restaurant that night & there did not seem to be enough wait staff. We wanted to order a 2nd round of alcoholic beverages before dinner to get the happy hour prices, but we could not find our waitress. Food was good, however. Coffee was not served hot & was too strong to drink!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Restaurant fair. Server was good, personable. We returned the next morning for breakfast .....horrible Hotel.....do not plan to return, our reservation was canceled they magically found us a room, and the list goes on and on.
- Overpriced for the ValueMangoKissVIPDined on 10/18/2014They generally cook the main portion of the meal well. The fish and the steak were prepared well. The sides though, they are completely ordinary and only taste fair. The sides seem out of place and don't match the meal, there is nothing inspired or interesting about them. The service is fair, they are friendly enough but green and the order came out wrong. I had a kobe burger with fries and they sent it out with mashed potatoes and they sent the filet mignon out with fries. They could do so much better. They need to improve or they will continue to lose business and reduce return customers. They are trying to come up with ideas to get repeat business but they really need to focus on the food and also improve the training of their staff.
- What a PleasureChristinaDined on 10/15/2014My boyfriend and I came here on a Wednesday night. We've been here a few times, only for weddings and rehearsal dinner,s where the banquet was the only option, so we decided to try Alex's regular menu. We were greeted immediately by the host and seated right away. Our server, Eric, was wonderful and attentive without being intruding. We were each given an amuse of beef carpacio and oysters which was an excellent way to start off our experience. He got the crab cakes while I got the lamb chops, both dishes were perfectly prepared. Our whole dining experience at Alexandra's was great. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Food and ServiceSpecialoutingsDined on 9/27/2014My salmon was served alone on a white dish. Maybe this is he trend but I thought some greens and/or veggie or potato would compliment the fish. The waitress was new. We ordered a bottle of wine and we had to pour ourselves a glass. I would expect that the waiter/waitress would have kep our glasses filled at a restaurant like this.Special Features:
- great brunchPatrice16VIPDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I enjoy brunch at Alexandra's on the occasional Sunday after church services. The choices are plentiful and the food is always tasty. We appreciate the champagne and mimosas that are part of the brunch. They have steamed shrimp on the buffet but only once has a server provided moistened napkins which are necessary after peeling the shrimp. We had to request that with this latest visit. Definitely a great place for brunch.Special Features:
- Special Wine DinnerUltracsicVIPDined on 9/20/2014A well planned and executed wine pairing dinner. Chef Russell S put much thought and effort into each course and paired with perfect wines it was an excellent experience. Too many highlights to mention them all, but we'll happily do it again if they offer it.Special Features:
- Great ServiceNeicyDined on 8/13/2014The service was excellent and the food was very good! Great view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 276 reviews are from the Alexandra's at Turf Valley reviews archive.
- sunday brunchbrunchersDined on 7/27/2014We enjoyed our dining experience. We were not rushed and could linger and visit with o e another.the buffet had a lot of good choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceMischianzaDined on 7/25/2014I was seated as I requested at a table facing the golf course with a lovely view. We ordered the restaurant week fixed price menu and our food was very good. I had smoked corn soup with a great crab cake sandwich and fries, plus a delicious sorbet for dessert. My fellow diners had a fruit dessert with a pastry shell topped with sorbet. The service was attentive and polite. My one criticism would be that there was no wine list on the table and our waiter didn't know much about wines on the menu. I plan to return. It was a relaxing and tasty experience!Special Features:
- Decent FoodPHoofDined on 7/22/2014The food sounded great on the menu, mostly met my expectations - not great, but goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- main dish disappointingCarolDined on 7/18/2014Appetizers were great--pork belly and smoked corn soup. We ordered side ceasar salads and they came in small ice cream bowls and evertime you put your fork in the bowl salad fell out. Lettuce looked old and salad dressing wasn't good. My main dish was shrimp and grits and it was very good. My husband almost always orders fish and he said it was the worst fish he has gotten. The fish was tasteless and the sauce was overpowering and didn't really go with the fish ( I think it was grouper but not sure).Special Features:
- Good lunch - View on Golf CourseTreliemDined on 6/10/2014We reserved a table for 7 for lunch, Were promptly seated, they even called me when we were 5 mins late (we were in the parking lot). Service was fantastic, she was very attentive. Everyone said their food was good. The server told me about Friday evening music on the terrace, hors-doeuvres bar, which sounded great, I will have to try it. The dining area was very "airy", vast open space, was nice.Special Features:
- early birdmodmilly4Dined on 6/8/2014Coffee was cold,bread pudding needed a sauce. the line up for eggs too long. the no rush approach was appreciated, from the distracted staff.Special Features:
- Deliciousang3030Dined on 5/20/2014This may be the best steak I've eaten. It was a very nice restaurant over looking the golf course at Turf Valley. It was a little pricey but worth it. There weren't very many diners but we went on a Tuesday in May so that might be why.Special Features:
- Mixed reviewprgrsvmama26Dined on 5/20/2014I went with my family (8 people) for a special occasion meal. The appetizer, drinks and entrees were well prepared and flavorful, all enjoyed. Dessert was a disappointment. At the prices of this restaurant the use of cheap Cool Whip topping ruined otherwise mostly good desserts. Except the panne cotta, that was truly awful. So the meal ended disappointingly. Also it took 3 hours to get to the end of the meal. The server was pleasant and I suspect it was a kitchen issue not a server issue, but it was far too long for a lunch with children.Special Features:
- Love the Sunday brunchMisseygVIPDined on 5/18/2014I'm not usually a fan of buffets, but I love the Sunday Champagne brunch at Alexandria's. Great food selection and perfectly made mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014Our party of 4 was there to celebrate mothers day along with the other Weddings folks. There were only 4 to 5 other tables seated at 5pm and the service was not quite adequate. Thanks for letting me vent
- Delicious FoodnewboldcookDined on 4/24/2014I was by myself. Had nice table at window, looking out on golf course. Maryland crab soup was excellent. I got the "tasting" size crab cake entree, which included a 4 ounce crab cake, two halves of broiled tomato with pesto and parmesan cheese, and a very generous serving of garlic mashed potatoes ... all delicious, and more than enough. The $14 price for the entree was a bargain.
- Birthdays CelebratedJamesVIPDined on 4/19/2014The Service was pleasant and friendly. The Maryland Crab soup was filled with crab and fresh veggies and the Cobb Salad was nicely presented with just the right amount of dressing. The NY Strip Steak and Frites were excellent. The steak was tender and juicy and the fries hot and tasty. The other two meals were Sea Scallops with Linguini. The scallops were disappointing, a bit overdone and many were gritty. The sauce was excessively acidic, too much lemon, I believe. We both agreed that it was over-powering and not good. The birthday surprise, very nice cannoli, was much appreciated. We will return again and not hesitate to order the steak. Other items will be carefully selected. Also, bring a jacket; it was very drafty where we sat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014I chose Alexandra's for an important lunch where I knew my guest was in a difficult situation. I wanted a pleasant , relatively quiet atmosphere where we could have a good lunch, and a good conversation - looking out at the golf course. I also like that the waitress is usually very considerate in terms of non-interference and allows us to complete our discussion as well as our lunch. We both had a spinach/strawberry salad topped with salmon. Delicious. ThanksSpecial Features:
- A Pleasant Spring AfternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Alexandra's on March 31, 2014 and we were very pleasantly surprised with all aspects of the meal. Our server was very timely with our entrees; the salmon and scallops were well prepared. After our meal we began to plan when we would be coming back again. We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and our eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/23/2014We went for an early Sunday evening dinner. We've been here before so my husband knew to order his steak medium rare so it would come out medium. It did. I too ordered my steak medium rare but it came out well done. A restaurant should be able to cook a steak to order, particularly when they're not busy. Since the steak was flavorful and still juicy and we were hungry I kept it rather than wait and have my husband eat by himself. I pointed it out to the waitress saying I'd keep it, she agreed it wasn't medium rare and that was that. Other than that, we enjoyed the salad and bread, and they have a decent selection of wine by the glass.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotAmazingDined on 3/23/2014This place is a nice little hidden gem. I was looking for a new place to have brunch that didn't cost a lot and had a good selection. This place had all of those things and more, I would definitely say eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Makes an Effort to PleaseGaryDined on 3/6/2014My wife and I were extremely pleased with the food, service and overall atmosphere of Alexandras. We attended at a special half-price food evening and it was very, very good. Happily greeted though we showed up 10-15 minutes early. Dennis, our server was just outstanding. The place was very busy so it took a little while for our entrees to appear, but the service staff was always there to assist. Our dishes were very tasty. The manager came over to speak with us and we were taken by his interest and attention. All in all, it was a very positive experience.Special Features:
- The food was delicious anddiner2034Dined on 2/23/2014The food was delicious and creative. We went to Sunday brunch and everything was kept well stocked. The servers were very friendly and pleasant. Great wine selection. View of the golf course and ground was very "country and pretty. Even in winter. It wasn't loud and we had a great seat. There was such a big selection that I didn't get to try everything which is probably a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchRaquelDined on 2/23/2014Dined here with family who had never experienced brunch. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the food selections, bottomless champagne/bloody marys/mimosas, and the service provided by Dennis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pork belly app. BeetgourmetwinoVIPDined on 2/19/2014Great pork belly app. Beet salad was a winner. Blow your diet and go for the beef short rib-worth it! Service is excellent with a beautiful view of the golf course and Wednesday is half price wine night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014This is by far one of our favorite places to dine. Every meal has been incredible, and excellent service. We highly recommend the Chesapeake Cobb Salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantKathyDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I had a delicious meal at Alexandra's recently. The "quinoa" with mushrooms was such a surprise. I had no idea quinoa could taste so good. The spinach salad with cashews, roasted beets, cubed pears along with blue cheese and a delightful dressing was another surprise. Alexandra's is truly a "neighborhood gem."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice atmospheremarka4Dined on 1/19/2014Very nice atmosphere; food preparation, service and selection were above standard. Fruits and vegetables were fresh. Seating could’ve been better. When making reservations, we were told we’d be sitting at a “high top” (we requested otherwise). The high top was located directly behind the servers … it was disappointing to see that a large number of tables sat vacant throughout the dining room from the time we arrived, until the time we departed.Special Features:
- Great Sunday brunch`OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2014Met 2 friends for Sunday brunch, they generally require a reservation, and they seem to space the reservations out so that the brunch buffet and cook for you omelet bar are not crowded. We were there for hours, no one cared. Winter seems to be easier to get a reservation...have shrimp, salad, lunch food and breakfast food - bacon/sausage, french toast, potatoes,fruit - all excellent, especially for being on a buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Top NotchDiver63Dined on 1/5/2014We are late evening regulars at Alexandra's, and for good reason. The atmosphere is great--quiet enough for conversation; the food is interesting, delicious and beautifully presented. The staff is warm and friendly and very professional. Jeffery was our superb waiter on this visit. I highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion. It is sure to become a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Night Out In A Long TimeAnneDined on 1/4/2014My husband and I took two teenage grandsons out for dinner for a birthday celebration. It was long overdue and we were really looking forward to our time with these boys. It was a magnificent evening. There was piano music in the background, the boys liked going to a "fancy restaurant", our waiter gave great service without being intrusive, and the food was delicious. We all ate steak and tried three different ways of preparation. We lingered over dessert and coffee and it was just an all around wonderful evening. It could not have been any better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's trueJohnwDined on 12/31/2013Reviews from other diners at this restaurant have noted that the food comes out warm-not hot. My steak came out warm and the potatoes cool. My wife's fish came out fine, and she didn't complain. I was at the last seating on New year's Eve so I'm assuming that my waiter was tired as he demonstrated little warmth or welcoming. Had to remind him to fill my water glass twice even after he filled the water glasses at the next table. The restaurant manager/host did stop by our table and was most gracious and professional. Would recommend the Pear crisp for dessert. First impressions are so important relative to dining experiences. The mark was missed this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Vs BreakfastKnoodle17Dined on 12/29/2013Was given a choice of 2 times by Open Table. Selected a time only to be called and told that 1 time was for breakfast and the other time would have been for the Champagne Brunch. Instead of an 11 am sitting for Brunch, I could not be accommodated until 1:00pm. I was not happy and called and spoke with the manager who was able to accommodate me at 11:00 for Brunch. I should not have had to go thru this...the manager should not have had to listen to my tale of woe and displeasure. Someone should just update the website and make it plain.Special Features:
- New dishUltracsicVIPDined on 12/20/2013My wife had her usual crab cakes and they were great as always. I got the scallops in seafood stew. Including sea bass, mussels, shrimp and it was excellent. I'd would certainly order this again. Coupled with a good bottle of wine and live music....makes for a good end to the week.Special Features:
- Everyone was happyBdayfor5Dined on 12/13/2013This is the first restaurant that has satisfied all present family members. My oldest son loved the steak. My husband loved the seafood dish. My youngest and very picky daughter enjoyed the chicken. My youngest son said the hamburger was the best he has ever had. This is the first time in 20+ years that we've all enjoyed a dining experience together. Also, we were happy that jackets and ties were not required.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.