Alexandra - NYC
455 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Alexandra - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thealexandrarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-3838
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 8 Am - 11:30 Am
Lunch: 11:30 AM - 4:00 Pm
Cocktail Hour: 3:00 Pm - 6:58 Pm
Dinner: 5:30 Pm - Midnight
Brunch: 11:00 Am - 4:00 Pm
- Payment Options: AMEX
- Cuisine: Organic, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Liz Arana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Alexandra - NYC
A Modern American Bistro that strives for a balance between creativity and comfort.Continued
Most of our ingredients are Organic and come from the Farmer’s Market.
Most of our ingredients are Organic and come from the Farmer’s Market.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alexandra - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)great for outdoor dining (5)fit for foodies (3)great for lunch (2)good for groups (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- casual small barUWS2VIPDined on 10/24/2014Attentive servers and yummy food. Lots of options for happy hour. Liked the onion rings and the melon and prosciutto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceMollyVIPDined on 10/9/2014Alexandra's is a lovely looking restaurant, but the wait staff were all preoccupied on their cell phones, our order was all mixed up and didn't come out all together. My own entree was almost cold by the time my friend's entree came to the table. It was very disappointing.
- disappointingcinemaforeverDined on 9/23/2014The food was delicious, the service ok, but the loud jazz music made the whole experience very disappointing. Our group of 4 asked for the music to be lowered a bit and we were told no, even the bartender/manager came over and told us the music could not be lowered. He told us there is a reason the music is at a certain level, but he wouldn't tell us why (!). You can imagine how frustrating that was. Anyway, it put a real damper on the night, conversations weren't easy as the music was so intrusive. I guess it's best to sit outside at this restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 66 reviews are from the Alexandra - NYC reviews archive.
- West Village Neighborhood treasureLoveAlexandraDined on 7/17/2014Alexandra for me is the anchor restaurant on Hudson Street in the West Village. The beautiful authentic French outdoor cafe wicker seats seduce you to come sit down and enjoy a meal and fine glass of wine. Their Burrata and Peaches salad is off the hook amazing and I think I can confidently say that they serve the best calamari in New York. Their fish specials are always amazing and their scallops in risotto is a great main course on their menu. If you enjoy a great desert, their key lime cheese cake is spectacular. Then finally at the end of the meal if you enjoy espresso coffee, I can honestly say that their espresso is best I have ever had in New York City. For breakfast, lunch, happy hour or dinner, an excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Going BackNYCCTCOfoodieVIPDined on 6/28/2014I brought six friends, and was completely baffled at the poor level of service, respect, and quality of food. First off, I called ahead to add one more to the reservation, but table was not set properly upon arrival. It took the waiter thirty minutes to locate enough menus, and tell us that there was no wine list. The waiter told us about the dismal wine selection - and we ordered a few bottles, having to ask on pricing. We are all respectable adults, living in New York and should not have to wonder whether we are buying a $40 or $140 bottle of wine. Wine was warm when brought to our table - and waiter would not get us a fresh bottle. The food was mediocre at best, and a sad excuse for West Village casual dining at this price point.
- A neighborhood gemMoFromBonitaDined on 6/24/2014This was our first time here. We were pleasantly surprised. We arrived at 5 pm, were promptly seated and could choose indoors or outside. We chose inside. It is very much like an English pub atmosphere. If you arrive before 6:55 while happy hour prices are in effect, once you order a drink or wine, those happy hour prices continue all evening. Their homemade red sangria was delicious and light filled with little chunks or quite edible fruit. A real treat. Because we ordered from the happy hour menu, we all had burgers for $12 that became $19 after happy hour and they were very large and perfectly cooked and served on a brioche bun. Their french fries were outstanding. We had 2 orders for 3 and still did not finish them all. A great stop.Special Features:
- Place has gone down hillRBA1966VIPDined on 6/5/2014This was my neighborhood restaurant, not sure if it is new management or just a bad night, but the service was awful, food was mediocre and they ran out of wine and had to go buy some. They sold us $5 wine for $45. Unbelievable. I will not go back
- As always great foodDoctorstanVIPDined on 5/30/2014We eat here a lot and the food is always excellent. It's been even better and more creative lately. Staffing changes and tiny kitchen can slow down busy nights but great wine list makes time ok. Really sweet young wait staff also is a charmer.Special Features:
- Wonderful findJonKDined on 5/16/2014We were pleasantly surprised my the friendliness of the staff and the quality of food. I will definitely go back when I return to NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre foodbmaguideVIPDined on 5/3/2014Neither main dish was very good, we had duck and pasta. Salad was good and chocolate dessert was very good. Would not go back.
- Classic Village eateryDiningDocVIPDined on 5/3/2014Great neighborhood restaurant in the West Village with high quality food and interesting menu. Cozy atmosphere with typical old village feelSpecial Features:
- Disappointed in serviceborninthebornxDined on 4/19/2014Nice person but incompetent. They seem also to be charging for every extra: eggs w/out toast!?! Showed us one menu then changed it. Could not get a coffee refill for a long time. Argumnets among staff. Disappointing as i had liked this restaurant. Hope it was an aberration.
- Great find!rdultrachiceventsnycVIPDined on 4/5/2014This restaurant was recommended by Le Du's Wine store on Washington St. and it is a gem of a restaurant for a small quiet dinner. Food is simply amazing, you must try the mussels and order the Scallops for your main course! Love, love, love the place! Sometimes you just want a local place and not too much of a NYC scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceLaurenVIPDined on 3/15/2014I made a reservation for a Saturday night for dinner for me and a friend, and the experience was wonderful. I beat my friend there and sat at a table outside to wait (it was cold so outdoor dining wasn't open), and the staff came out and greeted me and brought me a water. Once my friend arrived, we were seated right away. The fries were missing from my burger, but they waitress quickly corrected it and someone came out from the kitchen to check on me. The place is small and intimately lit. Although I enjoyed it for dinner with a friend and there were several groups, I'd consider it a good date location. The food was delicious as were the drinks. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice West Village SpotVillageDinerVIPDined on 2/21/2014Alexandra is a very simply decorated room with a homey neighborhood feel. Service was friendly and efficient. I had the calamari to start, which was excellent, followed by the roast chicken, very juicy and tasty if simply prepared. Portions are fair. I had a glass of Cotes du Rhone, which was fine (but they could use a list rather than having the waitress recite them all). Espresso but no dessert, and the total came to $47, a fair price I felt. Convenient walk to the Lortel theater.Special Features:
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2014Recent Valentine's Day dinner here was a delight--wonderful food and charming atmosphere. They offered a fixed price menu for the evening (although I snuck in a plate of oysters with a surcharge and was more than happy to pay up for that). Strong wine list. Great location. Book early--they are tiny and popular.Special Features:
- Nice BistrorockDined on 1/24/2014A nice storefront bistro, not large but reasonably spacious in one room. Jazz in the background. Menu is limited but good: there are enough specials to make it varied. Service is good.Special Features:
- Delicious food!LeighDined on 12/25/2013We were there for dinner on Christmas. It was a 3-course price fixed meal, reasonably priced for the quality and quanity of the food. If you like calamari, be sure to order it as an appetizer. It is to die for. The prime rib was outstanding and dessert was delicious. One minor dissapointment was the bread. Perhaps there was no bread delivery on Christmas day and that would explain the basket of toast. We had a lovely time. Thank you Alexandra!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurant! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/24/2013Lovely restaurant! The food was excellent and the wait staff was attentive and courteous. Good music, but much too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Booked Alexandra for a partyOLDGUYMARCDined on 12/20/2013Booked Alexandra for a party of 6; staff readily accommodated my need to change reservation. Alexandra is a lovely but very small restaurant, with about 25 seats at tables plus a bar. This throws off the ambience a bit, but the place is friendly and welcoming. My mussels appetizer and roast pig (more like pulled pork) entrée were excellent.Special Features:
- A Perfect MealjjmbDined on 11/28/2013This place is a small hole in the wall in the Village, but go ahead and set your expectations high. Their food and menu acumen immediately impress. A butternut squash and coconut soup was to die for. The pork chop was amazing. I tried a bite of my friend's calamari and want to return to enjoy it for myself. Dessert tasted homemade and simply delicious. Also, the restaurant was empty when I arrived, but nonetheless, I noticed the manager turn away several walk-up customers just after I arrived . Sure enough, shortly thereafter, the restaurant was packed with a full house of reservations. Smartly, management kept the restaurant just a few seats shy of capacity and clearly knew how to honor reservations and manage a full house. All good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, fresh, qualitytinaDined on 11/15/2013Excellent, fresh, quality ingredients, great chef, organic grass fed hamburgers, perfectly seared scallops. Friendly relaxed atmosphere, although sophisticated with a touch of romance. Went first with my husband which was romantic. Went second time with 8 girlfriends and we all had delicious food and were all very happy there. We came 1/2 early for our reservation AND added 3 people to our original reservation and the wait staff was accommodating and handled the whole thing with grace. Love this place. Please don't tell anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sweet spotborninthebornxDined on 11/2/2013This is an unassuming restaurant that takes care to deliver an enjoyable experience. No pretensions and very relaxed.Special Features:
- Excellent food in quaint settingOliveDined on 8/2/2013Each dish was delicious! Sweet outdoor seating for summertime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot in west villageevavitaVIPDined on 6/14/2013This place is. Little gem! Love it. Food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I generally enjoy this localOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/31/2013I generally enjoy this local neighborhood spot. Prices recently have gone up and that has taken away some of it's wonder. The food is consistently good though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely lunch during a midday lull.lisi10007Dined on 5/15/2013arrived to completely empty space at noon. Food was excellent, had tender, delicious calamari, better than average coffee (though no free refills) and scrumptious pineapple rum cake. Sat with my girlfriend for 2 hours and laughed a lot. Comfortable and easy seating, though if it had been full, those tables are very close to each other...Special Features:
- Lovely Girls DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2013My friend and I dined here after not having seen each other for months. It was the perfect venue for our catch up discussions and we were there for three hours. Mia, our server, was perfect in regards to one, knowing the food but two, knowing that we wanted to catch up and chat and she gave us space to do that. The food was very good, as is the wine. The bartender was also a star making sure we got the perfect table after the current occupants were finished. All in all - a great night with an old friend, terrific food and wonderful service! I will be back and I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small, charming neighborhoodKEENJVIPDined on 5/4/2013Small, charming neighborhood bistro with good American food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a cozy neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/25/2013This is a cozy neighborhood restaurant. The food is pretty good. I have one major problem with our dining experience, though. My wife and I ordered burgers. The waitress then asked "onion rings or fries with your burgers?" The way she phrased the question implied that we had a choice of one of these items which come with the burger. However, when we got our bill it became clear that the fries and onion rings were extras - at $7 per. It isn't so much the extra $14 that is the problem (though that's a lot for these items), it is the way that the waitress made it sound like these were included with the burger. It was subtle and sly and in the end, not very cool. We won't be back.
- Cozy and intimate - the bestSaraVIPDined on 4/16/2013Cozy and intimate - the best type of NYC neighborhood-y place. Great menu, strong wine list and incredibly nice/personable staff. After a long day at work, Alexandra is the best type of place to go for a relaxing dinner.Special Features:
- A wonderful authentic neighborhoodMumpers1VIPDined on 4/4/2013A wonderful authentic neighborhood spot with attentive service and excellent food. My only complaint is that selection of wine by the glass is not great. Should be better to match the quality of foodSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed when first openedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/31/2013Enjoyed when first opened but has sadly gone totally downhill. Place was empty, space is tired, service was slow and overly lax. Food was blah. My bet is that it changes or closes soon.
- We have eaten at AlexandraOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/9/2013We have eaten at Alexandra several times, and have always been thoroughly delighted with the food, the atmosphere, and the service. We typically have the calamari as an appetizer, and the gnocchi and scallops for the entree. They've always been perfect!Special Features:
- Food is always terrific andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/26/2013Food is always terrific and very consistent. Best onion rings ever. Great for conversation.Special Features:
- Welcoming ambiance, great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2013I was meeting a former colleague who works downtown. We were looking to have an important conversation in a quiet place with a very good kitchen. Not easy in Manhattan, right? We decided to meet right after work at 6:30 at Alexandra's in the West Village and it was great decision. The place is very comfortable. The lighting is warm, the the staff is professional, and the owner is very knowledgable about both wines and artisenal liquors. Our business completed, we had one of the best meals either of us have had in quite a while. Poussin something-I-can't-remember-the-name-of, perfectly cooked, juicy and flavorfull, with an artichoke gratin that was a perfect complement.Special Features:
- My wife and I went for Valentine'sDonaldVIPDined on 2/14/2013My wife and I went for Valentine's dinner and had an outstanding experience. Alexandra is a charming neighborhood restaurant with fresh, well prepared food. The service is friendly and attentive. It is a hidden gem!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemZekeVIPDined on 2/13/2013I hesitate to write a good review for Alexandra, because I think it is such a good find that I don't want everyone to know about it... It is wonderfully quiet, but not funeral parlor quiet... It's sometimes hard to find great restaurants in this city where you can have quiet conversations. The food was exceptional, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the ambiance was not overdone... I really enjoy Alexandra.Special Features:
- Open table need not reserve !CowboyVIPDined on 1/26/2013I booked the Alexandra on the 23rd of January for Saturday the 26th at 8pmon the basis of the rating in Open table.I had put a preference for a window seat.When we arrived 5 of the 25 tables were occupiedWe were told we would be sitting in window sill facing the barand next to the door on a cold winter night.The table was a bar table - too small for two to have dinner onI asked for one of the other 20 tables open at the time.I was told that all other tables were reserved and not available to us.I told the server that in that case we would be leaving. OK i was told.The night was cold - we found a nice restaurant two blocks north Real size table with a view of the street. - happy endingI would not recommend this restau
- The ALEXANDRA EXPERIENCE.!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/20132 of us were celebrating our 25th anniversary with our sr. mgr and mgr. it was a cold day i'm a person that requires a toasty atmoshpere when its cold. there was no heat on ..overall i was ok. would that be a factor for returning no. overall the service was excellent and the food was outstanding. the 3 people that dined with me were also very satisfied with everything. i posted my steak and fries on my facebook page and it got questions as to the location and how was the steak. i also showed my picture to my colleages and i gave the overall experience 2 thumbs up. i would go back and i highly recommend ALEXANDRA. I WILL definetly tell all my FEDEX PEOPLE ABOUT THIS PLACE. THANK YOU FOR THE EXCELLENT EXPERIENCESpecial Features: