Alexander's Steakhouse - SF
448 Brannan Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Alexander's Steakhouse - SF
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alexanderssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4154951111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30
Friday & Saturday 5:30 - 10:00
Sunday 5:00 - 9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Asian
- Executive Chef: Marc Zimmerman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please give us a call with your details!
- Special Events: Alexander's Steakhouse offers three private dining rooms to create the perfect setting for your special event. We can accommodate seated dinners of 6 to 54 guests, and cocktail receptions for up to 80.
- Cross Street: Between 3rd & 4th
- Public Transit: Caltrain, MUNI
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: There are three parking lots within half a block of the restaurant. Street parking is also often available (meters free after 6pm). Valet parking is available Tuesday through Saturday and during Giants home games.
A word from Alexander's Steakhouse - SF
Executive Chef Marc Zimmerman offers a fine dining interpretation of a Modern American Steakhouse with hints of Japanese influences throughout our menu. Featuring classic cuts such as Ribeye, Bone-In New York and Filet Mignon, to sustainable seafood, our signature Hamachi Shot and the largest variety of Wagyu Steak in the U.S. (we feature 11 types of Wagyu). We also highlight dry-aged steaks and offer the finest and most luxurious products available including two tasting menus and an award-winning wine list designed by Wine Director Johnny Slamon. A full bar featuring some of the most unique specialty cocktails created by our Bar Manager Justin Goo is a great way to begin your evening here at Alexander's Steakhouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Alexander's Steakhouse - SF - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Alexander's Steakhouse - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (100)romantic (70)fit for foodies (68)notable wine list (65)good for groups (36)hot spot (21)neighborhood gem (18)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The service here was exceptional. You really feel like the waiters and servers and giving you special attention, in giving time to explain the menu, wine list and the dishes when delivered to your table. There is no mistaking that this is an expensive night out. We spent $170 a head, but we got what we paid for. The starters were exceptional, I recommend the rabbit! Steaks were cooked to perfection, and we found one side between two was enough. The deserts were a slight let down - found them very dense and filling after very meat-heavy first and second courses. However, the steaks and the service are the stars here. It's definitely a 'special occasion' restaurant unless you have a generous expense allowance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time for your MEAT Comma!JStorrsDined on 8/13/2014What a great find...came here for a business dinner this past week on a recommendation and sure glad we did! The first thing I would shout out is the very friendly staff here. I was running late for our reservation and called and spoke to the front desk people and they couldn't have been more polite and held our table for us and based off of how busy they where could have easily given it away. First course a Caesar salad with a pouched egg on top with bacon and washed down with a seasonal IPA this salad was to die for! Skip right to the meat I got the large Filet medium rare and this steak was so delicious you could have cut it with a fork....I indulged with a side of mushrooms that were equally as tasty. I wanted to lick the plate clean...Special Features:
- Alexander's is Unparalled!KristinaSpringerDined on 8/9/2014I went here for my Boyfriends 25th Birthday. The accommodating staff worked with me, via email & phone, for two weeks while making my reservation (I kept changing the # of attendees.) Let that set the precedent for the excellent service we received upon arrival. The ambiance is beautiful, the staff was impeccable, and the food was absolutely delicious! They're very aware of those who might have food allergies, so the work around that with the utmost care. Attentive staff and very helpful in navigating the menu. Steaks (I got the Filet) were the BEST I've ever had. We go to a steakhouse in SF every year for our birthdays (His in August, Mine in November...so we've been to A LOT) and Alexanders was the most memorable. HIGHLY recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up to expectationsEATS4BB3VIPDined on 8/9/2014I can now say "I have had a steak that melted in my mouth" it is an experience every steak lover should have!!! Service was excellent, food was great. The Hamachi Shot was different, but very good, we had one each, had to have another. Salads were small, but turned out to be the right size and very tasty (Heirloom Tomato, Little Gem and Romaine). My dining companion had the 14 oz. Prime Rib which was very tender, very tasty, and prepared to her liking. I had the HYOGO KOBE CITY WAGYU $132.00 for 3 oz, I had a 6 oz. cut, medium rare take you to heaven experience. Christopher and his crew at table one were great, each dish was explained as it was presented, the wine we brought was decanted properly (Turnbull 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon) and greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time visitJedijuniDined on 8/5/2014Good food. Greater service. Waiters and attendants wearing smiles on their faces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/5/2014Trendy modern decor, specializes in steaks with Japanese fusion to its menu. were seated at the bar to wait for our table but bartender is not attentive and we waited over 15 minutes not being served, instead he served a group of 6 who came after us. We didnt get our drinks till later at the table. Had the prime rib, excellent, melted like butter, sides and appetizers were very small for the price. I think that waitstaff and servers were overly dressed, creating a stuffy and pretentious atmosphere. There were different servers that presented each entree and i thought that was kinda uncomfortable - one would hv been enough.Special Features:
- Great expensive steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014Great quality things never come cheap n that very much true for dining experience @ alexander's. Great selection n very precise execution.Special Features:
- Birthday TreatRimleyDined on 8/2/2014I went to Alexander's for a solo birthday celebration, and the staff was so attentive and friendly, it hardly felt like I was dining alone. I got great advice about which Wagyu steaks to order. The only thing that could have made my experience better would be if they had creme brûlée for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerAlisDined on 7/31/2014Delicious food, sublime food experience, super location and the staff is really kind. We tought it was one Michelin star and we hope it will receive soon as it deserve it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy and modern traditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014Went here for a business dinner abd had a sanpling of wagyu beef steaks. Pricey but an unforgettable food event for clients. Alexanders is classy but not stuffy and menu items are traditional with a modern twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak EverOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/31/2014If you want to have your pallet ruined and never be able to eat normal meat again come here. The steak is the best in the world and best I've ever head. AWESOME!!!!Special Features:
- Great foodJV16Dined on 7/26/2014If you are looking for a unique steakhouse experience this is the place!Special Features:
- A culinary extravaganza!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014From beginning to end, tastes sensations that are rivaled nowhere else. The service was fantastic. An atmosphere that welcomes. I would recommend to any & all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/23/2014Took one star off because the meat (2 tomahawks and 1 ribeye) was not delivered hot, only warm. We thought appetizer portions were too small. Food quality and service was great, but still quite overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankPDined on 7/23/2014The staff attention was excellent from the moment you walk in the door, bartenders know their stuff, seafood appetizers great, steak - - - exceptionally AVERAGE at best which made it disappointing. As my guest commented, it any lacked "Wow" flavor. The T-bone steaks relied on the sauces for flavor. We walked away feeling like we still wanted to go for a steak dinner. As a steak house and at $89 for a steak, the steak should be amazing and not have to be drowned in sauces for flavor.
- Fine dining at a steakhouse!FoodiesDined on 7/22/2014We were pleasantly surprised to see such an adventurous and accomplished display of fine dining fare at what is first and foremost a steakhouse! We loved the rabbit, the veal sweetbreads and the squab and the one member of our party of four that is a true red meat eater said his prime rib was the best he has ever had! That's saying something! The wines the sommelier recommended were superb and the service was attentive but not intrusive! A plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner.AzconnectDined on 7/20/2014The staff took a lot of time with us explaining the beef selections, wine and the hint of Japanese flair in several dishes. They started us with champagne and we ended with their signature cotton candy. Fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alexanders Steakhouse SFBigdDined on 7/16/2014Kobe beef has such amazing flavor. This was my moms first time tasting real A5 kobe. She loves filets & always thought Mortons was the best. No one can explain it to you, you must experience for yourself. At first she thought the texture was a bit soft & the filet was a bit better tasting. After a bit longer she realized it was not the filet it was how it was cooked & seasoned, but the Kobe was complete amazing steak flavor & at the end she said she would choose Kobe everytime given the choice even with the higher prices.The waiter we had was a 20 out of 10! Every question we had he gave us a extensive knowledgable answer. He was polite & patient. One of the best I have had at any restaurant in the world & ive been to many 3 star MichelinsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for special occasionwoodyx3Dined on 7/12/2014I took my girlfriend there for her birthday. The meal started out with a card from the chef for her, champagne to say "Happy Birthday", and it just went on from there. The food was amazing (she had the filet and I had the perfect porterhouse, both were perfect), the sides were all awesome (edamame and shishido peppers) then Mac and Cheese and green beans. The servers were all fantastic, honestly one of the best dining experiences we've had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful place for special eventloulouDined on 7/12/2014The sommelier who greeted and served us was fantastic. He was very knowledgeable and recommended great wine pairing with our food and great dishes to go with our celebration. The whole serving staff was wonderful. They were professional and personable as well. The wine list was impressive. The price tag was high, but it was worthy for special occasions.Special Features:
- Best meal of my lifeHRHdmcDined on 7/12/2014Most attentive, friendly (unpretentious) service and delicious food. We were there for a birthday celebration and they made the whole evening extra special. It's not just a meal but an experience to dine at Alexander's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, what a steak!homegrownDined on 7/11/2014This was, simply, one of the best meals I have had in a long time. We happened into Alexander's by accident in my new neighborhood, and what a great surprise. It is extremely pricey, but worth every penny. From the bartender, who delivered our drinks personally and explained the special syrup used to make probably the finest gin and tonic I have ever had (summer in London at the Berkeley might beat it), to the steak that melts like butter, to the Chateaux Margaux BY THE GLASS, to the sides, which were divine. Everything was simply perfect. Amazing. I will go again, when my checking account has recovered . . . but I will go again.Special Features:
- How can you get steak wrong?GXXXVIPDined on 7/6/2014We'd been to Alexanders many times before, but never again! It took over an hour for the steaks to arrive, even though the restaurant was moderately crowded. The $89 aged ribeye chop was overcooked and tough. The filets were good however. They have raised priced considerably since we were last there. This is now a place to avoid.
- AwesomejamesDined on 7/6/2014amazing food, tremendous service. i love this place!Special Features:
- Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Great customer service from hostess, waiter, and chef! We received lots of complementaries while waiting for our food and even for dessert! Overall.. great experience with Alexander's Steakhouse!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/30/2014As good as the Cupertino location. Even the classic hamachi shots are different here and spectacular! We now have a new go to place in the city for steak.Special Features:
- Great steak dining experiencefave4steakdiningDined on 6/29/2014The food was fantastic, steaks amazing, the gem salad was a real gem, the cotton candy was a total surprise.Special Features:
- Just okurbancrunchyVIPDined on 6/28/2014The salmon lacked flavor despite its many ingredients. I wasn't a fan of how it was cooked, as it ended up mushy and lukewarm. Wasn't super wowed by anything. And we were charged for the wrong bottle of wine—one that was double the price. They fixed the bill, but I'd expect more attention to detail from a high end steakhouse.
- OUTSTANDINGNapaVIPDined on 6/28/2014From the minute we walked in to Alexander's, we were taken care of. The staff were attentive and extremely helpful. The time they take explaining each cut of meat, the beer selection, etc is wonderful. The Wagyu steaks are outstanding and I also must recommend the corn soupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ampdinningDined on 6/28/2014Excellent service from friendly knowledgeable staff. The food was amazing. All of it!! I absolutely recommend eating at Alexanders. TSpecial Features:
- Date nightCchilarioDined on 6/27/2014I've heard many good reviews, so Alexander's was on a must eat steak house. Appetizer was amazing, Salad was even better. On its way to an excellent dinner, But... My Ribeye was over cooked (tough and dry). I ordered the porterhouse (what else to you order at a steakhouse?). Filet side was Perfect! Cooked perfectly! Ribeye was very disappointing. Waiter explained that they actually separate the bone from the porterhouse to cook both sides individually. Well I'm not one to send food back, but I really should have sent the ribeye back. Other than that and sitting closest to the entry of the kitchen traffic, dining experience was a good date with my wife. I will give them a second chance to redeem the dry ribeye. Overall, Yummy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing anniversary dinnerEleeriDined on 6/23/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated our one year anniversary at Alexander's ad they went above and beyond to make our night special! Upon checking in, 20 minutes early, they greeted us won a signed anniversary card, thanking us for sharing our special day with them. Their service was top notch and every person we interacted with was very kind, as well as very knowledgableable; they definitely know their stuff! We were treated with many delicious items, complimentarily, which was awesome. It was the first time I had Wagyu and it was so good; the meat melted in my mouth. At the end, they have us a chocolate desert and on the plate, they wrote happy anniversary. I was so impressed with their warm, kindhartedness. I definitely recommend Alexander'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantNickthequikDined on 6/22/2014It was the first time that I had been to a restaurant that served so many types of steak. Interesting and eye opening experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!!littlefoodieDined on 6/21/2014Probably one of the best dining experiences ever. And I say that not just because of the food, the attention and professionalism of the staff (and the amazing complimentary dishes).Special Features:
- Wagyu For YouOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2014Very knowledgeable staff that walked us through all the differences in Japanese and American cuts of beef. Loved the salt that came out with my Wagyu it was truly a great experience. Looking forward to another dinner here to end out my birthday week! I miss the ceviche but enjoy that there are some seasonal items added to the menu. Great and classy place to enjoy a meal that doesn't seem overly packed.Special Features:
- Father's Day dinnerAubergineDined on 6/15/2014It was a great experience. Andrew our server was very knowledgable with their wagyu. He was very kind. Very nice ambiance. Food was amazing. My family loved it and want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is excellent!DoodlemommaDined on 6/14/2014Food is good too! I love how they serve complimentary food gifts from the chef. Great way to cleanse the palette and enjoy the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the Best! A Real MemoryLopakaVIPDined on 6/11/2014A special occasion spot when the occasion is just a dinner. A repeat diner here - but this time for BF's birthday. Great drinks, great appetizers, great sides, the BEST prime rib is an outstanding night. Add fast charming service - free amuse bush , dessert, a birthday card equals a life time memory! Geeze, he ended up taking the cotton candy and his birthday card home. BF ( and me) were like 40 year old happy happy KIDS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGJenniferDined on 6/7/2014Excellent service from when you enter to when you leave. It is really a dining experience. Everything was flavorful and so delicious.Special Features:
- Great drinks and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014There's something to be said about a wonderful cocktail list in a steak joint. Had a great time and experienced great service and great food. Just great.I would recommend this to a friend.