Alexander's - Roanoke
105 South Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA 24011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Alexander's - Roanoke
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alexandersva.com/
- Phone: 5409826983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer on site catering services for parties of 8 to 80 in our second floor private gallery dining room. Alexander"s is one of the premiere catering operations in the Roanoke/SW Virginia region, offering full service for cocktail parties, private dinners, receptions and similar events. Our clients include many of the better known businesses, non profit organizations and social luminaries of the area. Our services offer a private, comfortable and beautiful venue for downtown businesses in need of a convenient location to entertain business clients, associates and friends.
We are also a very popular choice for guests and groups staying at Hotel Roanoke who seek an off-site location for receptions and dinners for business functions, reunions and wedding rehearsal dinners. We also provide auditorium style seating for meetings and seminars.
In addition, Alexander's is the go-to place for top quality carry-out cuisine for office and home entertaining.
- Private Party Contact: Boni Webb 5409826983
- Cross Street: Campbell/Salem
- Public Transit: Adjacent to City Bus Station and Smart Bus from VA Tech, Blacksburg & New River Valley
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: On street parking is available after 6pm as well as several surface lots and parking garages within one block of the restaurant.
A word from Alexander's - Roanoke
A destination for food and wine lovers located a stone's throw from the historic Farmer's Market, Hotel Roanoke and the Taubman Museum, Alexander's offers relaxed, sophisticated dining at its best. Cooking with superb ingredients,fish, seafood, prime-quality Virginia aged meats and locally sourced organic produce, our cuisine showcases years of collaboration among the most talented chefs of our region. Enter a refurbished 19th-century storefront, low lit with big square windows that open to the bustle of Roanoke's downtown; a little of old New York, New Orleans,a favorite European haunt? Inside you'll find a mix of vintage and modern accents, burnished tin ceilings,well-spaced tables and a wall-long, scarlet banquette. Order a cocktail or a select glass of wine and enter the serene vibe of the Alexander's experience. A destination for couples and business diners, Alexander's cuisine will delight you with an interplay of flavors that keeps you expectant and interested.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Alexander's - Roanoke - Best Restaurants in Roanoke ›
Alexander's - Roanoke reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (38)romantic (27)fit for foodies (25)notable wine list (15)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (7)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Punching below its classdicknogsDined on 8/30/2014This place has a menu and price structure similar to fine restaurants in big cities, but it's not on the same level. Relative to the class this place positions itself, the food is "good" and not outstanding. The service was not on par. They had no idea which seat ordered which item or drink. Then, after they screwed up the bill by first of all not paying attention to the person-who-made-the-res's wishes to settle it as a single tab and then after screwing it up badly, they decided to add themselves an auto-gratuity on the bill instead of letting me tip. Well they limited themselves to their 20% gratuity but ensured I'd think really hard about the quality we observed instead of overtipping like I usually do and that we'd never be back.
- Good choice for Mom's bdayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014Having taken my parents to practically every other fine dining restaurant in the Roanoke area during their past visits I wanted to come up with a new idea for my mother's birthday. I forget how Alexander's popped into my head, but I'm certainly glad it did. I made the reservation through open table, and noted that it was my mom's bday. When we walked in we were greeted with glasses of champagne (complimentary). We were too stuffed after our meal for dessert, but the staff wasn't going to let Mom leave without being recognized. Out came homemade chocolates with a dab of whipped cream in the middle providing sufficient anchoring for a lit birthday candle. The meal was outstanding as was the entire experience.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationN2goodfoodDined on 8/20/2014We had dinner at Alexander's to celebrate my mother's birthday. We were brought champagne to toast her and had a special dessert at the end of the night. My mom felt very special and it was because of the staff. The food is also wonderful!Special Features:
- Simply the best!4greatdiningDined on 8/16/2014Alexander's offers a gracious welcome that immediately makes you feel comfortable and appreciated. Service from a staff that cares--about your visit, each course and especially you, their guest. The menu is varied and always delicious--chicken encrusted with pecans or roasted, lamb ragu, a mixed grill offering, steaks, seafood and more. The salad of greens is well-dressed and appointed with a 'surprise' garnish. Vegetables served with your meal are never overdone and always flavorful. Of special note are excellent beverages from the bar including seasonal favorites, Cherry Mojito and Blueberry Margaritas. From appetizers--shrimp or heirloom tomato tower to dessert, the very best dining experience in Roanoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningLynnDined on 8/16/2014Over several decades Alexander's has provided excellent cuisine and a consistency to its service that is unmatched by any other area restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its bestCriticalDined on 8/8/2014On top of all of the above, the servers know how to serve correctly which is refreshing and adds greatly to the total dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SMLFoodieDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant was specifically chosen from our past experience and we needed a very nice atmosphere for our friends significant wedding anniversary. it was a Tuesday night and the dining area noise level was very quiet and enjoyable. We were greeted promptly and by reservation name. The servers were very good. Our food was cooked well with very nice presentation and had the proper seasonings. The mixed grill was very good as were the crab cakes. Dinner was very filling and the desert menu was passed by all in our party. However, the little chocolate treat at the end of the meal was excellent. Excellent restaurant for price, service, quality of food and ambience. I would highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:
- myrtleVIPDined on 8/1/2014Always our favorite go-to restaurant for special occasions. Celebrated my birthday with my husband and son at Alexander's and it was perfection. The food just continues to get better. Service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Once againRotowillisDined on 7/31/2014It has become a tradition to choose Alexanders for special occasion and once again, they managed to make us feel completely satisfied and glad we chose them. We will continue to travel the long distance for another enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Of the highest standards2eatoutDined on 7/23/2014My out of town guest was more than delighted with the entire dining experience. The Gold Standard in restaurants in RoanokeSpecial Features:
- Starcity4foodStarcity4foodDined on 7/18/2014The evening at Alexander's was simply outstanding. Every aspect of dinner was a pleasure. Our group each had a different entree and the conversation on the best selection was fun! The unifying element perhaps was the chef's sauces that accompanied each dish. Portions were appropriate and appreciated. Service was remarkable, always available, always informed and never intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantluvgoodfoodDined on 7/16/2014My wife & I enjoyed an excellent meal at Alexander's on our anniversary. We both had the grilled filet of beef & shrimp, which were delicious. The salad was very light and tasty. The desert was wonderful. The Head Waiter and servers were all very friendly and the service was excellent. The price of the dinner was high by our standards, but we had a gift certificate from our daughter that paid most of the $125. This restaurant is very much suited for that special occasion. The only negative that we had was that there was an additional charge for the after-dinner decaf coffee with our desert. We had tea with the meal & most restaurants include the cost of tea & coffee as one cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceRickDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I celebrated our 17th anniversary at Alexander's on Friday. It was a great meal and they had a very good gluten-free selection. Since my wife is a celiac, it was important to have GF options. Being able to make the reservation online via OpenTable was also great!Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and ServiceSensationalDined on 6/7/2014Nothing like starting your meal with a complimentary glass of champaign! Food and service is exceptional! Great variety and the service is truly outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alexander'spennyandjonDined on 6/6/2014As always, service and food were wonderful. Price may be considered by some to be on the high side but this is not a restaurant we go to daily or even weekly. The quantity is just the right amount -- in other words, it is worth the amount charged.Special Features:
- Classy in Roanokedin4domesticexecutiveDined on 6/5/2014The atmosphere and service was excellent and allowed for a quiet conversational dinner. Both of our fish entre's were tasty, although the dinner salad and required some creativity. If they could bump up the quality of the bread and offer a couple of dinner specials it would put them over the top. It was nice to have a pleasant dining experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfect, all ways great!SecretChefDined on 6/4/2014We were the first to arrive at 5:00 on and seated where requested. We had an excellent wine and the grouper which was perfectly prepared. The service was excellent and unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014We enjoyed the great food and ambience at Alexander's, but felt the service was a bit slow. Though there were not more than 4 parties in the restaurant when we arrived (exactly at our reservation time), it was going on 10 minutes after we were seated before we were presented menus. The food, however, was worth the wait, and we would highly recommend this restaurant for special occasion dining.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Alexander's is wonderfully consistent. Bonnie, Bjorn and team are outstanding. The food was fantastic and be service equally as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoineMeForDinnerDined on 5/22/2014A real gem in downtown Roanoke. Great selections with daily specials for variety.Special Features:
- As always, excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Alexander's is my Downtown Roanoke go-to establishment for a business or celebratory event for 10 or a quiet dinner for a smaller group. The restaurant is very or moderately quiet depending on the crowd, relaxing and each course is enjoyed leisurely. They do a great job refreshing the menu seasonally as well as maintaining the favorites many love. As it's been for the 10+ years I have been going to Alexander's, the service is excellent. I've recommended Alexander's to many without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality DiningBriargalDined on 5/20/2014Alexander's continues to be our favorite restaurant in Roanoke to celebrate special events. The service and food are always fabulous and our experience on Tuesday night didn't disappoint. Roanoke is lucky to have this gem!Special Features:
- Dont order the NY Strip steakdontcaretoDined on 5/15/2014This is our second time to Elexander's The first time was 9 years ago when our son graduated from VaTech. We had such a good experience that we decided to come back for our daughters' graduation dinner. Everything was perfect as it was 9 years ago. However, this time we were so disappointed with one of the dish: the NY Strip steaks. It was cooked wrong, and it was hard as like eating beef Jerky. We did change to a different steak knive but I still have to work hard to cut it. I should have refuse it but being an easy going person, I just let it slide. Really disappointed.Special Features:
- An Excellent End to a Great Trip1happyvisitorDined on 5/14/2014I looking for something "special" for our last night of a vacation in the area. Checking on line, the website gave me a good idea of what to expect at Alexander's and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent, nicely presented and the service attentive, without hovering. The wine, one of the least expensive on the list, was very enjoyable. I would recommend Alexander's and certainly put it on my "to do list" if I return to Roanoke.Special Features:
- DinnerDeerfieldDined on 5/13/2014Five friends and I had dinner before a concert, and it was the best dining experience I've had in many ears. The waitstaff anticipated every wish that we might have. It was really a unique experience, and the food was delicious and extremely creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 256 reviews are from the Alexander's - Roanoke reviews archive.
- Great AnniversaryDinerfromVADined on 5/3/2014My wife and I went to Alexander's for our 24th anniversary and had a wonderful time. The food, service and attention to detail were exceptional. Everyone went out of their way to make our special occasion very memorable. Thanks for everything!Special Features:
- Alexanders A++EatWiselyDined on 5/3/2014My wife and I had dinner reservations at 5:00. Since the restaurant opens at 5 on Saturdays, we had the entire place to ourselves the first half hour, which was a bit strange, since outside was very crowded and busy on the Market with the Cinco De Mayo festival. But the staff was very friendly and we enjoyed our quiet moment with our salad. By 6:00, the restaurant was about half full. We both chose a mixed grill, which had beef, chicken, and shrimp. The food was excellent, and the service was outstanding. Alexanders is definitely A++ on food preparation, presentation, and service. Highly recommended for special occasions or a fine dining experience in a more casual setting. We will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceptional!foodiechikDined on 5/2/2014My family has been visiting Alexander's for almost 20 years! Whether it's just two or a table of 16, it's always an wonderful experience! This past weekend there were 13 family and friends, ages 8 to 76, celebrating my oldest son's College Graduation. As usual, the service and food were exceptional! It's always a special treat, regardless of the occasion!Special Features:
- Hokie38TuckerDined on 4/22/2014Just an outstanding evening. The food and service were outstanding. Waiter was wonderful and very helpful and anxious to be of assistance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again... A+LLV2VIPDined on 4/19/2014We dined here last October. This time we brought the spouses and had a great table by the window. Veal scalloppine and filets were excellent as were the oysters. Keenan Cab '09 rounded out the evening. Will be back whenever we are in Roanoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and service!FoodieDMDined on 4/15/2014We (party of 4) had a wonderful dinner at Alexander's. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. We were treated to a lovely table in the window. I highly recommend this restaurant for fine dining.Special Features:
- Great foodMissyDined on 4/12/2014I have eaten at Alexander's many times and have always had outstanding food and service,Special Features:
- Enjoyed Both EveningsKESMDined on 4/11/2014I've been to Alexander's twice in the last year. Once with a good friend on a week night and this last time with my husband on a Friday night. The ambience was great both times. I love to people watch and on a Friday night the place was busy and it was fun to figure out who belonged to whom. The food was great both times, but I was a bit disappointed with our desserts, a chocolate cake something that was a bit on the dry side. My husband and I enjoyed drinks (the Lemon Drop was very good). The service was excellent. I enjoyed my first visit more than my second. The first was more casual and had more interaction with the staff, who were laid back and happy to chat. When I travel back through I'll be back for a week night evening.Special Features:
- Our favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014My husband and I have been married nearly 13 years and Alexander's is our favorite, special place to celebrate.....Each time we have been there we have created memories...either just the two of us, with family or with special friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency through the decadesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014I've been intermittently dining in this Roanoke restaurant for nearly three decades. How many times? Not a clue. In that period I've NEVER had a dining experience less than very good and most were excellent. Sure about that "nearly three decades?" Yep. I had considered Alexander's for my wedding rehearsal dinner, but ultimately had to conclude that with no elevator, the upstairs banquet room was unwise with elderly relatives. That marriage was 27 years ago and my girlfriend/fiancé and now wife had visited this restaurant a number of times before our marriage. Food and service were excellent and at the conclusion of our meal, we both felt that we needed to return yet again.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal and eveningAnonDined on 4/5/2014Ours was a celebratory wedding anniversary meal so we chose Alexander's. We had been regulars there when courting and had our rehearsal dinner there also... 28 years ago. I love that the food is simply marvelous, always, and the service is thorough and has warmth. And though simply elegant, whispering is not required, so one feels comfortable chatting and laughing. We could not have had a better meal and evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful EveningCarrieSueDined on 4/4/2014Alexanders is tops on our list for special dining. They serve the perfect amount of food with exquisite taste -- you want to let it linger in your mouth.Special Features:
- Great for large groupWendyDined on 4/3/2014During a recent business event we took a large group (14) to Alexander's for dinner. The service was excellent despite such a large group. Everyone was complimentary of their entrees and the wine was superb. A terrific choice for such a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite in RoanokemyrtleVIPDined on 3/29/2014We have dined at Alexander's for over 28 years. Our favorite restaurant in Roanoke.
- Highly recommendedBillandLauraDined on 3/29/2014Selected based on reviews and was not disappointed. Four of us for dinner. We all chose different entrees. Everyone was pleased. Service was professional, attentive but not obtrusive. Would not hesitate to recommend to best friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.