Alexander's - Hilton Head Island
76 Queen's Folly Rd
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Alexander's - Hilton Head Island
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://alexandersrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8437854999
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Reginald Williams
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Urbin 8437854999
- Cross Street: Palmetto Dunes
- Public Transit: If you are a resident/guest staying in Palmetto Dunes or Shelter Cove, the Dunes Buggy is a free transportation service available from April 1 - September 30, 8am - 9 pm, call 843.689.4222 to arrange pick-up. Some neighboring hotels also offer shuttle service.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking available in lot as well as next door at Palmetto Outfitters and across the street at the tennis courts.
A word from Alexander's - Hilton Head Island
On a picturesque lagoon in Palmetto Dunes, Alexander's has been an Island tradition since 1977. Choose from over 100 hand selected wines to compliment the freshest seafood and hand trimmed steaks and enjoy the vintage Harley Davidson collection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Alexander's - Hilton Head Island - Best Restaurants in Hilton Head ›
Alexander's - Hilton Head Island reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (101)special occasion (87)romantic (73)neighborhood gem (67)notable wine list (56)fit for foodies (53)kid-friendly (26)good for groups (23)great for brunch (7)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good food, overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2014We had a nice time at Alexander's, been going there on our bi-annual visits to Hilton Head for going on 30 years. We celebrated our daughter's 13th birthday and had a very nice time. The place has become a fixture on the island. The only criticism is that the prices border on the ridiculous; a fried fish platter for $25? Six broiled scallops for $25? Two crab cakes for $30? I get that there's a premium for the location and this is a vacation spot but $200 for four was higher than it should have been for the quality of the food. We could have gone to Old Oyster Bay (owned by the same ownership group), gotten the same food and paid about half the price.Special Features:
- Not worth itKhr5VIPDined on 8/15/2014Food was ok, but not great. Waiter seemed a bit confused. We enjoy nice restaurants and don't mind paying $$$$, but this restaurant was $$$$ but not worth it. I highly recommend Vintage Prime Restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We are here 4times a year and this restaurant is always on our list for a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go in Hilton HeadHiltonHeadEdDined on 8/12/2014The food was outstanding. We took toe couples that had not been but we will all be back. Service was well paced and our server was great. We had filet which was cooked perfectly as were the scallops one of our party had. I recommend you box half of your entrée to save room for reset. You have to have the moose. The wine list pairs well with the menu.Special Features:
- Worth a VisitWeeatoutalotDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Alexander's a number of times over the years on our trips to Hilton Head. The food is always good. Our last visit we had good food and good service. My only criticism was the hostess was not to Alexander's standards and if that had been our first visit, we would have clearly started the night with a negative impression.
- Never Disappoints!Mgreg2002Dined on 8/1/2014This was our 3rd time visiting Alexander's as we have now made it a regular stop during our Hilton Head vacations. Every single time, we have received excellent service and WONDERFUL food. We usually order from the Early Dining menu, and have never been disappointed. The food is still very high quality, and the portions are perfect for a great price. I love that no matter where you sit, you still have a view of the lagoon. I also love the white table linens mixed with the motorcycle decor...somehow it just works. Alexander's is definitely a favorite of my family!Special Features:
- Okay.SmoothiedudeDined on 7/30/2014Alexander's restaurant really is a fine restaurant. The still have white table cloths for their dinner seating . The location for people who live or stay in Palmetto Dunes is great. The food is good but not really memorable. Compared to other restaurants on the island, I found the overall menu to be a little pricey. Everything is ala-carte, so adding soup or a salad and desert easily will get you over $50.00 per person. That being said , the portions are very generous, but if you are trying to limit your calories choose another place . A nice thing to know is they did offer to split the $8.98 salad in two servings. There are so many great dining options on Hilton Head but for my money I'll stick to Charlie's le toile Verte or Old Fort Pub.Special Features:
- GreatFamilyof4Dined on 7/29/2014Have to say that I normally don't get very excited over food as I am hard to impress. I have to say that the seafood we had was amazing!!! The Seabass was the best I ever had...I will return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, Service Not So MuchTammyVIPDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I shared the fresh catch grouper. Our mistake not asking how much the dish cost as it was $45. They didn't list the price. And we aren't sure if the dish cost that much or if we were charged an up charge for sharing. We were with friends and although asked, she didn't give us a good answer. We all just went...what did she just say? And laughed. The fish was very fresh and good but it was piled onto a mound of white rice. Not worth $45. They split the plates so we both had a small piece of fish and this huge amount of rice. The waitress should have explained a split cost if there was one. Again we really didn't see her much. She didn't even bring the food to the table. Never refilled our wine glasses. Wasn't friendly at all.
- One of our favorite spotsGreatDined on 7/27/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants on the Island. Great food nice people, peaceful after a day at the beach. We would highly recommend Giving it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Great place to dine if in the Palmetto Dunes area or resort area for a relaxing meal. Food was delicious. A bit overpriced but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and serviceBansheeDined on 7/26/2014Family dinner at this restaurant was a pleasant surprise. The waitress and the bartender were friendly and knowledgeable. Oyster on the half shelf comes with the traditional fixin', but also came with a balsamic base sauce (I surmise) that was absolutely delicious. The waitress recommendations for the fish of the day and desserts were spot on. Parking was the only challenge for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Starting with the cute bartender and all through dinner.... Everything was absolutely delicious. I would go back every time we came back to Hilton head.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner at Alexander'sRocket23Dined on 7/22/2014We wanted to treat our god-daughter to a special dinner to celebrate her graduation from college. Had reservations for the porch on a Tuesday night in July. Were seated quickly at a table by the window with a view of the lagoon. Noise level was high as there were quite a few families with young children, which we had expected during such a busy vacation week. But the service was fine, the wine was wonderful, and the entrees (scallops, crab cakes, and swordfish steak) were delicious. We will definitely return when vacation season is over!Special Features:
- Delicious, as usualTessRDined on 7/22/2014Alexander's never disappoints. The service this visit wasnt great, but wont keep us from coming back next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanneDined on 7/18/2014The restaurant is outstanding as I mentioned. Food was presented beautifully, came out very hot, and was scrumptious. We only had one disappointment - when we arrived the hostess didn't seem to have us listed on the reservation list.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Lovely night out for a date. Rec the Scallop dish and delish martini. Server was a little busy and not as personable, but he was overall nice and effective at his job. Oysters app were fantastic and loved my Mahi dish. We were not thrilled where our table of two was located, right behind a wall of wine and felt cramped. Wish we had a better view of the water. Very nice and excellent food and beautiful presentation. The Classic Martini was made perfectly.Special Features:
- Always greatSherriDined on 7/16/2014We have eaten here a few times and the food is always outstanding. Staff is knowledgeable and friendly...Special Features:
- neuroDined on 7/14/2014The food was acceptable and the wait staff pleasant and helpful. It was a bit overpriced.Special Features:
- Been Twice - Both DisapointingPreArtsDinnerVIPDined on 7/12/2014Alexander's has been in Palmetto Dunes for a long time and should be one of the better dining experiences in the area. I have been twice and both times have been very disappointed with the service and quality of the food. The wait staff and service people are poorly trained. Even worse the food is sub-par. I had a shrimp cocktail followed by the scallops and my dining partner had the daily special swordfish. We both agreed that the food quality was about the same as a low end chain or buffet style restaurant. With so many great restaurants on Hilton Head...we won't be going back. I expect that the large tourist population in the Palmetto Dunes Resort will continue to keep this restaurant in business even without repeat customers.
- Huge service disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014In short.. The food was awesome as usual as was our view of the Palmetto Dunes lagoon. Our waiter ruined the experience for me... So irritating to feel rushed when you pay over 100 for a 3 person dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alexander'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014We ate dinner here on our last day of our vacation. The staff was very pleasant and attentive. We picked the early dining menu and the food was fantastic for the price that we paid. We sat on the enclosed porch and had a wonderful view of the water.Special Features:
- changing tasteKnotAFoodieDined on 7/9/2014Have been going to Alexander's on and off for almost ten years. Seems that our taste has outgrown the restaraunt now though. The Calamari seemed that a fast food chain could make it with sauce from a bottle. The potatoes seemed to lack flavor and being fully cooked. The sea bass sauce was really good. And were allowed to stay at our table for the entire evening without feeling rushed out. We decided to leave before being the last table but being able to sit and converse was great.Special Features:
- serviceDined on 7/9/2014Atmosphere very nice, attentive waitress. Food is very good and presentation excellent.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceWax28173Dined on 7/6/2014We lucked out and found a parking spot - nice start. Our server was professional and very nice. We had shrimp cocktail which was perfectly nice but were really knocked out by the fresh fish specials. Hubby had the grouper and I had an asian ahi tuna. Fantastic! Would have liked to have had the dessert - but didn't have room. Only warning was the wine special. I had a white wine that was new to me but saw it in a wine store the next day and felt completely ripped off by the price. Oh well - a $10 lesson with a fantastic meal.Special Features:
- hungrybearDined on 7/5/2014This was a recommendation from another friend and we were very happy that he suggested it. We have already recommended it to other friends. We will definitely go again, the next time we are in town. The food was excellent and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food close to palmetto duneszotonDined on 7/3/2014Creek view is nice. Good meat and seafood selections. Cheerful and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner!BennyDined on 7/3/2014We returned to Alexanders after not having been to Hilton Head fora number of years. We so enjoyed our dinner...Alexanders will remain one of our favorite restaurants on Hilton Head. Great food....great service....great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Island DelightIslandDuxVIPDined on 7/2/2014Great restaurant with wonderful menu and consistently good food. Try the stuffed shrimp or Wiener Schnitzel. It's all good and great view of lagoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongcooldaddyDined on 7/2/2014Always one of our favorites in Hilton Head. We have been going here for years and will continue to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food. Service lacking.ChrisVIPDined on 7/2/2014We stayed at the marriott resort and walked to this restaurant in less than 5 mins. The food was good but overpriced. The service quality we received was poor. The waiter appeared rushed overall but his defining moment was when he stuck his finger in our bottle of wine while he was opening it. Good location but worth going further into shelter cove for more choice and quality.
- Tad outdatedSkillz4uDined on 7/2/2014Not sure when was the last time I saw a dish with rice pilaf and flower garnishes, but here they were. Don't get me wrong, the food was pretty good, just not at those prices. Our server could have let us know that the kids pasta meal was large enough for our 3 and 5 year olds to share instead watching them sit there and pick at 2 adult size, $11 dollar servings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early bird gemGaryDined on 7/2/2014We enjoyed an excellent early bird meal Wednesday night. I had a crab cake. While it wasn't a true Maryland crab cake, it was very good and large enough to make a good meal. My wife enjoyed shrimp and grits. We were seated promptly and Jack, our waiter, was very attentive. We arrived promptly and found the parking lot almost full. It was good to see so many people appreciating a good restaurant.Special Features:
- perfect choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/29/2014We went to Alexander's for our 1st night on the island & were very pleased. We split a doz of the combo oysters (Rockefeller/Savannah) .....delicious! My husband was very happy with the Filet Oscar special. YUM We will return.Special Features:
- Ask for windowAubbieVIPDined on 6/29/2014This was our first time dining here. We were seated promptly and at the window as requested. We were not rushed, service was great and the food was delicious. The only negative, my husband's meal was cool rather than hot and he complained to me but did not ask for it to be warmed! We would return....take a wrap or sweater......it is cold!Special Features:
- go 2 Hilton Head just to eat hereDavidDined on 6/27/2014My wife wanted to visit Hilton Head SC. While there, we ate an early dinner at Alexander's. Go early if you want to save $$$. Overall experience was an 11 out of 10. Food is spot on. Visit their website for menu. Best shrimp & grits ever. They present the grits like no other place I have been. Very unique and tasty. My wife had fried shrimp which were near perfect. Light battered, not over-cooked and flavorful! Bisque was creamy & heavenly plus the bread pudding was fantastic. Service was excellent as well. We will go back when in the area.Special Features:
- Awesome experiencetotoDined on 6/27/2014The early bird setting (5-5:45) is a great value ($15.99) and has a wide selection of entrees. Porch seating has a enchanting atmosphere overlooking the scenic creek. Wait staff was very attentive and helpful. All in all it was a great place to celebrate a special occasion. We will return!Special Features:
- Still going strongbillpiVIPDined on 6/26/2014Come for the early-bird specials. You will return for the entire Dinner menu. The service was very efficient and the quality of the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service didn't match the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014The food was truly very very good for all our party of 7. The service fell behind though as we poured our own wine, had to look for our waiter on several occasions. Just an off night as this didn't happen on our previous visits and won't stop us from going again.Special Features:
- Food was okayHHLoverDined on 6/25/2014Atmosphere was okay and food was okay but not worth the price.