Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn
100 Madonna Road
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405Neighborhood:
San Luis Obispo
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.madonnainn.com/
- Phone: (805) 543-3000
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5pm to 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jacqui Hanover
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Madonna Inn offers an in-house bakery & pastry shop for after dinner desserts as well as sweets for all your banquet, wedding or special occasions. Pick up only. For more information, call our bakery at 805-784-2437.
- Entertainment: Voted biggest and best dance floor on the Central Coast! Come dance to a live band Thursday through Saturday nights. No Cover Charge. On Sunday, join DJ Nancy Lara for West Coast swing, salsa, cha cha, and just about anything! Monday nights are Swing Nights with DJs from SLO Swing. Days and times are subject to change.
A word from Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn
Enjoy an award winning dining experience, renowned for its outstanding menu and spectacular pink and gold décor. Indulge in a delicious oak-pit-barbecued steak, fresh seafood, chicken, or vegetarian entrees. Featuring a superb wine list, decadent world-famous desserts and nightly entertainment and dancing. Adjacent the Steak House is our elegant Silver Bar Cocktail Lounge featuring classic and uniquely, inspired cocktails. Boutique shopping makes for a fun experience before or after you dine with us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn - Best Restaurants in San Luis Obispo ›
Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)romantic (47)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (10)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (10)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- NativeDined on 11/21/2014If you go remembering that this is an upscale steak house you will have a wonderful meal. What they do best is meat--beef, pork, chicken, lamb, pork The booths are quiet even when the restaurant is full. WiIth older people go before the band starts. Perfection and luxury every time. The most special place for a celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We were celebrating my husbands birthday with two other couples. The overall experience was great. Our server was wonderful and the food was EXCELLANTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Madona's steak houseIdasDined on 11/15/2014If a person likes gaudy decor and does not mind spending a lot of money for moderately good food then this is the place for you. The best part of the evening was after dinner when my husband and I went to the bar, listened to a good band and danced. Lots of fun!
- SupremeKenaDined on 11/14/2014Last time I ate there I had the fillet, and it was the best I ever had. So, this time I ordered it again, and my wife and our daughter did too. Afterwards I asked my wife what she thought of the fillet and she said "Supreme" - you can't get any better than that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in a brilliantly kitsch settingtodikoDined on 11/10/2014This place has to be seen to be believed. Kitsch and cool is all I can say. And the fact that the food is delicious just makes it even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timemjm56Dined on 11/10/2014We have passed this place many times and finally decided to have dinner here. We live in the SF Bay Area so probably won't return for some time.Special Features:
- Old School Livin' LargeEatinAlamedanDined on 11/8/2014I was reminded of "fancy" places my parents took us to 40 years ago -- flocked wall paper and gilt light fixtures. Big portions of meat and potatoes fare with a couple big salads added to cater to changing tastes. The dessert cake slices are as big as your head and like the walls, many are bright pink. Everything is very good, but not outstanding for someone used to more current places. The live band can make conversation difficult, depending on where you are seated. Overall, worth experiencing at least once and a good fall back that is solid.Special Features:
- Dazzling romantic dinnerNikNakDined on 11/7/2014Sitting down at this restaurant it felt like Christmas Day. The excitement in the air with the live band and sparkling lights everywhere was overwhelming in the best way. Fabulous service was provided. They made us feel special like we were the only ones there, even thought he restaurant was full. The food was exquisite. My heaping lobster tail melted in my mouth and even the side salad and baked potato were better than I've had before. They brought us balloons for our Birthday and free cake. It was such a lovely surprise. We had a view of the band and people dancing joyously on the floor and it was the most magical dining experience. A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wondeful all aroundsteakit2meDined on 10/31/2014We attended Madonna inn restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. The food surpassed our expectations. Our food was perfectly cooked as well as abundant. We received complimentary cake and a balloon in honor of our celebration. All the food was so delicious. As avid red meat eaters we scour the central coast for the best steak and Madonna definitely will be amongst the top. And the service!! Amazing, attentive, and extremely friendly. This was by far the best service I have ever received in my life. The combo team waiting tables is one of the most brilliant ideas a restaurant can have and really made us, as customers, feel special. We not only will come back but will absolutely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Place and a Must See..23rdWeddingAnniversaryDined on 10/25/2014If you are in the area. They had a big band playing music from the 1940's and 1950's. Service folks were knowledgeable and friendly. Decor is flat out impressive and the location is iconic. Take time to get there early and stay late to explore the buildings and grounds.Special Features:
- 90th Birthday PartyNanas90thDined on 10/25/2014We celebrated our mother's 90th birthday party with a gathering in her "San Francisco Room", followed by a delicious dinner at the Steakhouse, complete with birthday cake candles and dancing all night. It was magical ! The family wants it for an annual event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prime ribpatch26Dined on 10/24/2014The prime rib was very fatty and not very tender. (over half the piece was not edible) Very disappointing. Mentioned to girl clearing our plates basically got no response. Lobster tail was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely worth itTwoBirdsDined on 10/18/2014While this restaurant is certainly on the high end of the price scale, the delicious food and stellar ambiance make it worth the cost. There was a live ten-piece orchestra playing, a lovely dance floor, and a beyond kitchy pink and gold decor that can't help but make you smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionChoosygirlDined on 10/16/2014I always choose Madonna Inn Gold Rush Steak house when I have special occasions. We go on my birthday every year. Great rib eye! Of course the desserts are phenomenal! Everyone is our party was happy with their meal. I highly recommend Madonna Inn as a choice for any special occasion. Can't wait til my birthday coming up in DecemberSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Other Place Like ItcarollVIPDined on 10/10/2014We love Alex Madonna's Steak House. The beef is incredibly tasty and cooked perfectly. The service is top notch. Plus, depending on the time you are dining, a dance band may be playing. It is bring a era that I thought was long past. Wow, I am so glad it was on Open Table for us to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in Fall 2014ShrekDined on 10/8/2014A delight to have dinner music while enjoying dinner. There are so few restaurants left where you can dance to a live band. Lovely room with banquettes (booths).Takes you back in time to the 40's and 50's.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Food is pedestrian at best. Exciting place to be. Wonderful staff! Swing dancing by local college kids is not to be missed!!! Well dressed, energetic, and didn't need booze to get it on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty disappointingILoveFoodDined on 10/5/2014I'd been planning a trip to Madonna Inn for many months. Finally able to get the time Off I booked a room and made a rezzie @ the Gold Rush Steakhouse. We were warmly greeted, though there was a mix up with our rezzie time. Sat promptly, had a lovely big booth. I picked this place for my b-day dinner because of how beautiful the dining room is. long story short: the food was terrible, which I had been anticipating after our awful wine and cheese tasting.The waiter was attentive, but extremely sweaty which was unapetizing. Very frustrating after paying so much money over the course of one evening. All in all I WILL be returning to stay in the rooms but definitely will be dining off site.
- What an experienceJeLu102Dined on 10/3/2014You have to experience this place, if only once. The pink room is overwhelming in its opulence. Note that the steaks have a smokey taste to them, if you don't like smokey meats, order your steak down one degree for less of that effect, (I should've gone medium rare instead of medium). Their signature cakes are a must-try! Pink champagne cake was wonderful, great drink menu, wonderful wines. Will be back and be smarter with my ordering. A wonderful birthday experience, I will treasure my birthday balloon long after it looses its helium!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GAT1ThurgDined on 9/28/2014Always a great place to dine. Been here many times over the years and always have a good time and great meal. Very consistent. If I had one negative comment is the dance area as outsiders who don't dine here come in and take over the dance area doing dances such as the polka and if you are a paying diner and try to get the DJ to play something else, the group there makes you feel very uncomfortable as if this is their very own private dance floor. I had 11 people here and all of us felt very uncomfortable trying to use the dance floor. Management did a very good job trying to assist us in allowing us to have a little fun on dance floor.Special Features:
- TishTibiVIPDined on 9/27/2014Lots of fun. One of a kind atmosphere. Delicious steak or prime rib. Weekends there is usually a live band with terrific dancers at the area adjacent. Can be noisy while dining, so ask to fit away from band if that matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerNew2SLODined on 9/24/2014"Pinkly" ELEGANT. Very novel atmosphere. Somewhat aged & worn. Great dinners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the decorLadyParticularDined on 9/22/2014The food is not what's important here, though they mix very good cocktails. Great for a fun night out in my opinion but there were romantic couples when I was there. It's way out there and a must-see. Re the food: I ordered a plain steamed fish but there was water left on my plate. The main flavour was salt. I tried the famous champagne cake of luminous pink, it looked great but was very average. They manage to do something to the sponge that makes it lighter than air but unfortunately it's as tasty as air too. This review comes from a British person so perhaps I don't understand American cuisine. This is not the only place that serves whipped butter. I'm not sure if it's the whipping or the butter itself that renders it tasteless also.Special Features:
- Everyone is a special guestSpecial2usDined on 9/21/2014Special occasions are dear to most and where we celebrate has much to do with the degree of enjoyment we experience. The Madonna Inn does much to recommend a memorable event. We have celebrated our wedding anniversary here many times over the years and are never disappointed. On our recent visit, we were once again made to feel like "special guests."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueToulouseDined on 9/20/2014The setting is amazing. It's like walking into a 70's movie set. All pink and gold cherubs. Fortunately the food is pretty amazing too. Salmon and chicken that just melts in the mouth. Delicious homemade cakes for dessert - yummy. This restaurant is a MUST when in San Luis Obispo.Special Features:
- LMLloydVIPDined on 9/19/2014A little pricey for the fare, but good. Steak was well prepared. Only minimal oak flavor I am used to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- English scepticsOnTourDined on 9/16/2014Having been recommended to the Inn and restaurant, we were disappointed with the food, and found the decor OTT - decidedly over the top for our tastes. But it was an experience to see it.However, overall we did enjoy the evening, redeemed by our server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!VeerleBrunoFromBelgiumDined on 9/10/2014We stayed for one night at the Madonna Inn to celebrate our anniversary. The Steakhouse is a truely enchanting and wonderful restaurant. One of a kind in the world. The service was excellent and all the staff was just amazing. We loved every moment we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Good TimesMickster1Dined on 9/5/2014Service staff was prompt and frequently checked with us to ensure all was to our liking and if anything else was needed. The food was excellent from the Appetizers right through to the Champagne Cake Dessert. The live band playing in the adjoining area was pleasant and the volume was just right so as not to disrupt table conversations. We had a wonderful time and plan to return with friends in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made my Anniversarysmsolomon13Dined on 8/23/2014I took my girlfriend to the Steak House for our 1 year anniversary and the service greatly exceeded expectations. We even got a free slice of cake at the end of our amazing steak dinners. I wish I had more room to enjoy it, as the majority of my stomach was saved for the French Filet Mignon (wrapped in bacon). We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Maybe too many people?FredDined on 8/23/2014It was big band night and the place was packed, which may have affected the food quality. The steaks were good, but the chicken was dry and the salmon was not good. Service was personable and excellent.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Our experience at the Madonna Inn steak house was great. The food and service were excellent. I would definitely recommend it & would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Great food. Great service. But most of all amazing decor. The place is an experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BartybearDined on 8/19/2014The place was like the restaurant out of Hello Dolly. Everything was EXCELLENT.Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceRoscoeDined on 8/15/2014The Madonna Inn has been a part of our celebrations for over 25 years. You can count on excellent dinners, great service, wonderful ambiance, and a worthwhile experience if you haven't been here. Thank you Madonna Gold Rush Steak House. You've done it again.Special Features:
- Yummy but slowNimrodical1Dined on 8/11/2014Our server was a pretty young man and he was not up to the task. He was trying and I'm sure if he continues to work at it he'll get better but for now he's struggling to provide good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 year anniversary!LizRoseDined on 8/11/2014We went horse back riding at madonna followed by an amazing dinner at the steak house. The service was very nice and quick, simply on point. The food was perfect, great steaks! And we also ordered the chocolate cake.. YUM! So good and for such a special day for us it really was the best choice. The only issue I could possibly say is all the items in the gift shop were outrageous, which is basically to be expected. I definitely suggest anyone to come check it out. ♡Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary TreatMcBeachVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was amazing. From the moment we sat down our taste-buds were in heaven. The Pink decorations made my wife happy. They provided a sweet touch at the end to help us celebrate our anniversary. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Great PlaceLoyalVIPDined on 8/9/2014We are from another state and stopped for dinner because in was convenient. What a great surprise!!! The food and service were excellent. The extra treat was the live band playing old standards. This is something rarely found in any restaurant. Also, the décor is fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfuldisneygirlDined on 8/9/2014We had a fabulous dinner for the 2nd year in a row for our anniversary! Great food & service.Special Features: