Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn
100 Madonna Road
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405Neighborhood:
San Luis Obispo
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.madonnainn.com/
- Phone: 8055433000x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5pm to 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jacqui Hanover
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Madonna Inn offers an in-house bakery & pastry shop for after dinner desserts as well as sweets for all your banquet, wedding or special occasions. Pick up only. For more information, call our bakery at 805-784-2437.
- Entertainment: Voted biggest and best dance floor on the Central Coast! Come dance to a live band Thursday through Saturday nights. No Cover Charge. On Sunday, join DJ Nancy Lara for West Coast swing, salsa, cha cha, and just about anything! Monday nights are Swing Nights with DJs from SLO Swing. Days and times are subject to change.
A word from Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn
Located at the World famous Madonna Inn, Alex Madonna's Gold Rush Steak House is unforgettable. Featuring outstanding steaks barbequed over a one-of-a-kind oak wood pit, a superb wine list, decadent Black Forest cake and outstanding service. Our menu includes a variety of fresh fish, Australian lobster, and barbequed or fried chicken dishes. The Silver Bar offers an assortment of specialty drinks along with appetizers. The Gold Rush Steak House is an award winning restaurant and recipient of the 2007 Beef Backers Award for outstanding beef entrees. We provide musical entertainment 5 days a week. Ask about our specialty packages and review our website www.madonnainn.com for holiday activities and specials…including our annual New Years Eve Party Package! For further information please call our reservations office.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn - Best Restaurants in San Luis Obispo ›
Alex Madonna’s Gold Rush Steak House, at Madonna Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (64)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (31)kid-friendly (28)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (14)scenic view (13)fit for foodies (12)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Terrible food and serviceUnhappyDined on 8/28/2014The food was served before the wine, and the food was ment for dogs.Special Features:
- Made my Anniversarysmsolomon13Dined on 8/23/2014I took my girlfriend to the Steak House for our 1 year anniversary and the service greatly exceeded expectations. We even got a free slice of cake at the end of our amazing steak dinners. I wish I had more room to enjoy it, as the majority of my stomach was saved for the French Filet Mignon (wrapped in bacon). We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Maybe too many people?FredDined on 8/23/2014It was big band night and the place was packed, which may have affected the food quality. The steaks were good, but the chicken was dry and the salmon was not good. Service was personable and excellent.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Our experience at the Madonna Inn steak house was great. The food and service were excellent. I would definitely recommend it & would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Great food. Great service. But most of all amazing decor. The place is an experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BartybearDined on 8/19/2014The place was like the restaurant out of Hello Dolly. Everything was EXCELLENT.Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceRoscoeDined on 8/15/2014The Madonna Inn has been a part of our celebrations for over 25 years. You can count on excellent dinners, great service, wonderful ambiance, and a worthwhile experience if you haven't been here. Thank you Madonna Gold Rush Steak House. You've done it again.Special Features:
- Yummy but slowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Our server was a pretty young man and he was not up to the task. He was trying and I'm sure if he continues to work at it he'll get better but for now he's struggling to provide good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 year anniversary!LizRoseDined on 8/11/2014We went horse back riding at madonna followed by an amazing dinner at the steak house. The service was very nice and quick, simply on point. The food was perfect, great steaks! And we also ordered the chocolate cake.. YUM! So good and for such a special day for us it really was the best choice. The only issue I could possibly say is all the items in the gift shop were outrageous, which is basically to be expected. I definitely suggest anyone to come check it out. ♡Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary TreatMcBeachDined on 8/9/2014The food was amazing. From the moment we sat down our taste-buds were in heaven. The Pink decorations made my wife happy. They provided a sweet touch at the end to help us celebrate our anniversary. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Great PlaceLoyalVIPDined on 8/9/2014We are from another state and stopped for dinner because in was convenient. What a great surprise!!! The food and service were excellent. The extra treat was the live band playing old standards. This is something rarely found in any restaurant. Also, the décor is fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took FOREVER and noise level loudtexaschaiDined on 8/8/2014We went here for dinner for a special occasion of out of town guests. What we didn't expect was the noise level to be so high - mainly because there is a live band 100 feet from the tables during dining hours, and we also didn't expect it to take an HOUR AND 45 MINUTES to get our food once we ordered (which was about 15 min after we were seated). Since we had a 3 yr old with us, this was not ideal on both counts. The wait was absurd. I also had ordered a med rare steak and it came out like it was tartar (super rare). Once cooked a few more minutes, it was perfection as was the free dessert we received for the lengthy wait. So if you go here, expect noise, order your meat knowing it's on the rare side, and do NOT go in already hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodTourist201Dined on 8/6/2014Unique and iconic hotel, great location and interior. As for the food itself, all 4 of us experienced overlooked main courses (so the food was dry and hard) and also very bland. More like the food you'd get in a cheap low-end chain. Disappointing!Special Features:
- Amazing venueSc23Dined on 8/4/2014Don't come for the food which is nothing special and overpriced -come for the venue which is amazingly over the top and great fun Have a few cocktails take a few photos and enjoy the kitschSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- make a reservationcnbgDined on 8/4/2014Went to Madonna for our anniversary. So glad we made reservations 3 days before. They were booked up even for a monday and were turning away grouos5. They had great food and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceJrdiningDined on 8/2/2014Fun place to check out and take the kids. Reasonably priced with excellent service.Special Features:
- Unique, but only average foodTravlinManVIPDined on 7/30/2014Madonna Inn is an unusual place to say the least, and worth a visit. But while the steakhouse has the ambiance of 1930's Vegas crossed with a cathouse (and is quite interesting and over the top), the quality of the beef did not justify the high prices. My ribeye, which I requested to be medium rare, came medium, and covered in an unidentifiable set of grilling spices/sauce, which made it taste just bland and vaguely meatlike. My GF's filet was fairly small, highly priced (like $42), and somewhat tough (certainly tougher than a filet ought to be). Beef was definitely not Prime and didn't even seem Choice. Salad OK, veggies, OK. Service quite nice. Wines were good. Basically a moderately interesting tourist trap.Special Features:
- kitchy romancekaboodeliciousDined on 7/27/2014This is like going to Disney Land. If that's your kind of thing, or if you like the idea of sitting under giant flowers, cupids poised over your heads, and everything in pink, then by all means try this restaurant. The steak and potatoes were good steakhouse fare. The "Eyetalian" dressing was coffeeshop style. Food definitely does not reflect the pricing. Be prepared to spend a lot of dough if this sounds like your kind of fun.Special Features:
- The food, only.vonblueDined on 7/23/2014The Madonna Inn isn't for everyone, if you like eccentricity and pink, you'll adore it here. I do. As for the steakhouse, everything we had tasted great. Just don't expect a lot of thought to go into presentation, I think the chefs are probably very straight forward people. We ordered the sausage platter, which tasted great, but was literally just a bunch of cut up sausage dumped on a white plate. I raised an eyebrow, but that's as far as it went. All the other food was delicious, as well, just not very pretty. But who cares? The dining room is a spectacle in itself, who needs fancy plating?Special Features:
- A real California LandmarkLuv2dineoutDined on 7/23/2014Anyone traveling in the central coast of California should take the opportunity to dine here. It is truly a landmark . The atmosphere is fun and unique, back to the past. The steaks were excellent and in our opinion give Ruth Chris a run for their money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeKimmieJDined on 7/20/2014Food was absolutely amazing, my husband said it was the best filet mignon he has ever had!Special Features:
- Great for multiple generationsBellanomiDined on 7/19/2014We took our parents for a 45th anniversary and both the grandchildren and the grandparents where so impressed with the ambiance, then the orchestra started playing and the kids took the grandparents out to dance, it was so cute. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable. It was a wonderful experience: )Special Features:
- Delicious food and special nightsbotchmcguinnDined on 7/17/2014I went to the Madonna Inn's Gold Rush Steakhouse as part of an anniversary experience staying at the hotel. I have to say, both the hotel and restaurant exceeded our wildest expectations! Seating was lightening fast, we had a lovely table, our waitress was very friendly and attentive, and the food was delicious. The abalone appetizer was a definite standout, and my French Filet and husband's sirloin were both delicious and perfectly prepared. I like my steak rare and I can't tell you how often a restaurant will take that to mean medium rare. This was PERFECT! To top it off, the lovely piece of German Chocolate cake they gave us complementary was just perfection! Thank you for making this a special day for the two of us!Special Features:
- RemarkableJohanDined on 7/16/2014This is the most remarkable restaurant (and hotel) I have been visiting. As a European it is almost too much, but You have to experience it once in a time. The interior is fabulous, the steak was perfect and the service on top. Since we were celebrating this was The Place for celebrating. Don´t forget to visit the bar also for nice drinks (and good talk with bartender).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun and deliciousmimiyumDined on 7/16/2014The restaurant had a fantastic ambiance and the devotee was over the top, but everything here was! Ashley, our server was wonderful. Friendly, knowledgable and fast. We ordered the filet mignon! It was delicious!!! They had cakes and less, but w opted for icecream. We had a wonderful time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsFredDined on 7/16/2014We were married in 1960, so it's probably appropriate to celebrate our wedding anniversary in an atmosphere that reminds us of the sixties. The only thing missing is the Rat Pack! The service is attentive, and they always get the recognition of a special event right. Prices are high, but worth it. Portions are large and excellent.Special Features:
- KirkDined on 7/12/2014Very pleasant but to expensive to attend on a regular basisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurantVidarDined on 7/10/2014The Filet Mignon was the best steak I've had in many years. Cooked to perfection. The atmosphere and decor of the restaurant is something out of a dream. Will definitely come back next time I'm in California!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodCMRanchDined on 7/5/2014The Gold Rush Steakhouse is phenomenal for the quality of their food and the high level of service. I've lived in this area for 35 years and still consider it "the place" to go for a special occasion meal. While the steaks are my favorite, this restaurant doesn't have the old west appeal that other local steakhouses have but it is so unique and special unto itself that this doesn't matter. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Delicious, but...LovelyzDined on 7/4/2014This steakhouse is always a pleaser. We've been several times within my 30+ year lifetime. This time we came for my mom's (semi-surprise) birthday. We were a large party (10 ppl) and we had 4 kids, so I presume this is why they put us in the back. The ambiance was still lovely and the food was delicious. The service was bad because our waiter was busy with another large(r) party. Took him 2 reminders and 30 minutes to take our order -- and this came without an apology. The rest of the evening was spotty with un-stellar service and a few bizarre though laughable issues. Thankfully the manager interceded and made things right with his kind attention. A major mishap with the bill at the end was catastrophic. Maybe we'll try again next year.Special Features:
- Food and service great but!BrendeVIPDined on 7/2/2014Server, Sharon terrific but was disappointed that the manager, Michael, would NOT allow me to order the Prime Rib portion from the child's menu, as I was able to do in three "upscale" restaurants the previous evenings in both Monterey and Carmel, Ca! Therefore I split a meal with my husband and everyone lost, the restaurants would have had the extra meal charge and I had my desired portion and choice. Therefore will not return in near future!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerMikeDined on 6/30/2014Food was good but not as good as it was in 2011 and it cost a lot more.Special Features:
- Best steak ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014I don't eat steak very often, so I try for the best when I do. The filet mignon at The Madonna Inn was the best I've ever eaten! Tender, tasty and wondrous! And the service was excellent. The waiter was friendly, helpful and courteous, and fun! The Madonna Inn is a hoot, the ambiance over the top and you must accept it for what it for that. We did!Special Features:
- DinnerDadaDined on 6/27/2014The service was very good. and so was the food. However, we ordered our steaks to be medium and they were well done, (no pink inside). I was with my young daughter who was so thrilled at the time and I didn't want to ruin her impression of things so I didn't say anything about it. We also ordered the Abalone appetizer which was partially chewy. I was expecting something pounded out and completely tender. The portion was very small too.Special Features:
- A trip to the pastDougDined on 6/25/2014I used to frequent the Madonna Inn in the mid-late 60's. I was pleased to see that there have been few changes. Women still frequent the men's restroom and the food, if anything, is better that it used to be. The filet was wonderful. I missed Phyllis Madonna singing "I left my heart in San Francisco" but I expect she, as all of us, is getting a bit older. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a great meal with surroundings that can hardly be described.Special Features:
- Amazing!cbarnhartDined on 6/23/2014This place is awesome! Great food and great service! Fabulous desserts too! I will be back!Special Features:
- Another great experience for sure!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/22/2014Great friendly and enthusiastic service. Tasty meal from drinks, appetizers, and main.Special Features:
- LorettaDined on 6/18/2014Always a fantastic experience!! Great food and special memories!Special Features:
- KrumbsfromKovVIPDined on 6/18/2014Our first time eating here, it was a treat from beginning to end. Food was perfectly prepared. My wife had prime rib (med-rare) and I had the lamb chops (medium) both were cooked as we had requested. Sides of baked potato and veggies (al-dente) were perfect additions. Service was excellent and slow paced so that we could enjoy each course. Salad was fresh and nicely dressed. Wine choices by the glass (quartino) were plentiful with many choices. Atmosphere was funky and whimsical (translate: gaudy) and fun, with dinner music provided after 7:00. A bit expensive but worth it. Wait staff was attentive along with a visit from the matre'd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun restaurant!DennyDined on 6/14/2014We went for our sons graduation from Cal Poly. Waitress was super nice and gave us right amount of time to have our drinks. My New York steak was delicious and very flavorful. Best at our table, but prime rib was also good as well as filet minion. For my son, they brought him a piece of their cake on the house and brought out balloon that said congratulations!!! Also there was a live band playing which gave us a fun atmosphere. Price was reasonable for what you received. Overall was very happy with food and dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.