21 N Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alewifebaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4105455112x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday- Sunday: 11:30 am - 2:00am
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 4:00 pm-10:00 pm
Late Night: Monday-Thursday 10:00 pm - 11:30 pm, Friday & Saturday 10:00 pm - 12:30 am, Sunday 10:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday 11:30 am - 3:45 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Wells
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: please visit www.alewifebaltimore.com for information on special events both on and off site!
- Cross Street: W. Fayette Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: In addition to metered street parking there are three parking facilities within one square block of Alewife. The Avalon Parking Garage on Baltimore Street, the Hippodrome Parking Garage on Greene Street or the Apex Garage on N. Eutaw Street.
A word from Alewife
Alewife is a nationally acclaimed craft beer bar and award winning restaurant in the heart of Baltimore's city center. Alewife features a rotation of 40 taps of the finest craft beers from around the world, full bottle and wine lists, hand crafted cocktails and a seasonal menu of modern American/regional cuisine including Baltimore's best burger, the now legendary Smoke Burger. Alewife is conveniently located directly across from The Hippodrome Theater, directly next door to the Everyman Theater and a short walk from Oriole Park at Camden Yards, First Mariner Arena, The Baltimore Convention Center, M&T Stadium and many city center hotels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Alewife - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Alewife reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (50)vibrant bar scene (45)fit for foodies (26)late-night find (24)great for lunch (22)good for groups (19)hot spot (17)special occasion (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)romantic (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Enjoyed everything about itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014The smoke burger, the beer selection, the character of the place - all were fantastic. Arrived at 5:40 for dinner before a 7:05 game, and they were a few minutes into the first inning by the time we got to our seats, so probably should have started out just a little earlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent beer list & amazing food.ArushiNinadDined on 8/26/2014I have come here before and unlike other places the experience is consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathybDined on 8/23/2014Interesting menu, with an assortment of choices. Beer list was extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Smoke. Burgers!LaurueannvanDined on 8/23/2014Reserved a table before a Saturday night concert at the Hippodrome. across the street. We had a couple drafts- they have many craft beers. Their Alewife salad was large enough for us to split- greens, blue cheese, asparagus, pecans, etc! And the burgers did not did not disappoint! It also comes with their fries done in duck fat- very tasty and crispy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations a must pre theatermcwheltleDined on 8/23/2014The Alewife is our go-to restaurant before attending a show at the Hippodrome. The food is eclectic. If you have a member of your party who is strictly meat and potatoes--this is not the restaurant for you. We had four different dishes--all tasty. They have an impressive beer selection. Our waiter was prompt and attentive without hovering. They are respectful of the time for theater patrons. We have been many times and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Brew Pub W Incredible food!cbinMDDined on 8/23/2014I selected Alewife because of its location close to the Hippodrome Theater. Needed a pre-concert place for a few drinks and a meal. Exceeded all my expectations. The beers on tap were impressive and the food was unbelievable. Best Gumbo we have ever had! Not a romantic place, unless you are lucky enough to get one of the secluded spaces in this beautifully restored building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BDay DinnerBaltimoreGamblersDined on 8/21/2014Ate here for a casual weeknight birthday dinner. The Happy Hour Specials were good. The food is excellent. Drinks were great. We really enjoyed ourselves. We have been here several times and always enjoy our experience.Special Features:
- Great burgers!SunmoonDined on 8/1/2014Burgers are the best, come hungry! 40 beers on tap and the beer policy is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer, good foodRickVIPDined on 7/26/2014I had the hop BBQ chick sandwich. I miss the kobe hotdogs, but this was good also. My guests had the smoke burger and seemed very satisfied. The service was fine, but the beer list is the reason to visit Alewife. Great rotating choices; something for everyone. I had a delicious IPA and another IPA. One of my guests had the "Baltimore Sour", which was surprisingly tasty.Special Features:
- tobesDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant had a good selection of draft beers and cocktails. We both tried the smoke burger, which was definitely tasty. Overall a good experience, pleasant wait staff and not too noisy inside. I'd probably go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014The service was very slow and several times we waiting for at least 10 minutes with no drink. The crab cakes were full of shells so enjoying them was difficult. The catfish tacos were tasty as were the duck fries. For a restaurant in a popular area of Baltimore City the management needs to focus more on training wait staff to be attentive and be mindful of the food being served to quest.
- Inner harborOtonoseDined on 7/12/2014Went to Alewife after O's game. Great beer selection,cool atmosphere and good food. Just avoid the alligator bites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkMarkDined on 7/12/2014Alligator fingers were a bit too chewy. Duck fat fries were delicious. Beers were delicious. Waitress was good, though she pulled the old "do you have change for a ten" trick on the tip. I tipped her 17 percent which was more than generous for the service we got. Alewife will get my business again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and yummyJacksonDined on 7/11/2014We really enjoyed our experience at Alewife. Casual, an amazing beer list and really good food. Servers were friendly and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was meh...emmmDined on 7/9/2014Got the smoke burger with duck fat fries since they had good reviews, however the burger was dry and not cooked medium as requested also I've never had duck fat fries before so i cant compare them to anything but they just tasted like regular fries but with rosemary seasoning and a little burnt. Pretty expensive for the quality of food, but maybe it was because it was quite busy when I went. Wait staff was pretty nice though.Special Features:
- Usually love Alewife...KBDinesDined on 7/7/2014... But today's fine was lacking! Service was attentive, but our server didn't seen very informed about beverage choices. My food was great, as always, but two friends ordered mussels from the happy hour menu, which came out with a strong fishy smell and were very tough. They did take them back willingly, and the rest of the experience was good overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Very much an after work crowd. Lucky to get to eat in the "small" vault which was fun and a little creepy. Highly recommend Mac n cheese w/ bacon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Watering HoleDarranDMVDined on 6/27/2014I've been to Alewife a few times when visiting Baltimore. The food and service are very consistent. The food is good - better than typical pub food but nothing out of this world. A friend and her family were visiting from Tampa for a baseball game and we needed a kid-friendly meeting place that was close to the park. Alewife seemed like a great choice. My friends enjoyed the meal and REALLY enjoyed the beer selection. One of the kids enjoyed his alligator tail - even though we warned him it was probably imported from Florida. My friend is vegetarian and there were even some good options for her. All-in-all, it was a very good choice for a pre-game nosh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining out with co-workers100LightDinerDined on 6/26/2014The food and service were excellent from the waiting time, presentation, taste and great attention to details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and BeautifulGurlDined on 6/23/2014The menu looked pretty good online and it did NOT disappoint. 40 taps with really good beer. We got the burger and the boar sliders and both were perfectly cooked and excellent. Beautiful bar area, love the little tables squirreled away. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- AlewifeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Great beer selection, but several of our items (burgers, sliders) were overcooked.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014The fish tacos were great, as were the wild boar sliders. Good food and company.Special Features:
- UniqueBajaDined on 6/21/2014Menu, ambiance, decor - all unique and worth the visit. Great beer selection but the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Beer So So FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014My dining partner had mussels and duck fat fries, which she said were very good. I had a vegetarian grain and vegetable dish that was so spicy it was almost inedible. The menu mentioned a curry sauce, but not how spicy the dish was. The vegetables in the dish were also quite crunchy and undercooked. There was no offer to adjust the check or offer a comp drink when I told the server about the problems with the dish. Would go back here for drinks, but not food.Special Features:
- Make reservations before a showNoThanksVIPDined on 6/13/2014Right across the street from the Hippodrome .. great beer selection (ever changing), very good food, cool atmosphere. What more could you ask for before or after a show?Special Features:
- Interesting menu !Foodie4everDined on 6/11/2014We have eaten here before but this time, had totally different items. The mussels were huge and flavorful. My husband loved the pate! The restaurant is in an enviable location with the theaters so close!! Make sure you make a reservation!! Excellent service as well.Special Features:
- don't go pre-theatergoodgoldDined on 6/10/2014Noted in the reservation that we were going to theater. Arrived at 6, told server that we were going to theater. Order taken at 6:30. Picked from the starred items (starred as quick for pre-theater). Received food at 7:20 with curtain at 7:30. From bolting the food I was distracted throughout the performance by the resulting heartburn. Nice folks, but strictly amateur hour. Go for the beer if you have an evening to spend in an extremely noisy environment, but otherwise steer clear.
- Good foodlike2eat0utDined on 6/8/2014We enjoyed the food, service and attention to the fact that we needed to end our meal with time to be seated in a relaxed way at Everyman Theatre which is next door.Special Features:
- Great For Beer LoversTripweaverDined on 6/7/2014If you find the Alewife dinner menu online, keep in mind that it's eclectic and, in some cases, unusual offerings belie the quality and deliciousness of the food. If you like beer, I suggest you start with one of their 40 draughts, using it to chase down the deep fried artichoke hearts. My wife chose the crab cakes, which were done in the classic Maryland style. They had minimal filler, and were meaty and tasty. I chose the smoke burger, which was worth the advertised extra wait. The ambiance of the 19th century historic location coupled with the passable service rounded out a pleasant pre-theater meal. You will likely find me here before my next trip to a show at the Hippodrome.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Everyman attendeesB4CurtainDined on 6/7/2014This is a wonderful place for before or after a show at Everyman Theatre! It's right around the corner from Everyman and across the street from Hippodrome. Food is interesting and tasty and they have a long list of beers, if that's your thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Time AgainAnneMarieDined on 6/7/2014Alewife is our go-to place when we see shows at the Hippodrome (we're from the DC area, not local Baltimore folks). Very relaxed atmosphere, great choices for food, sports on TV (we were able to watch Terps' NCAA baseball regionals) and unique beer choices to try.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014Alewife was really great with our pre-show dinner, but they didn't have a few things that seemed a bit silly (i.e., hot or cold tea). The food was good and our server was very attentive. I've been before and I'll definitely go back if I'm in the area for a show.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/4/2014I have tried this restaurant several times because it is close to the theatre but I have been disappointed by the food each time. The restaurant is also very noisy.
- seajam2Dined on 6/4/2014Great for pre-theatre dinner and drinks. calamari salad, cheeseburgers and mussels are always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2014My no recommendationn would be based on the noise level. There isn't a chance one can carry on a catch-up conversation with a friend. The chicken portion was small but light and delicious. We would have enjoyed a warm roll with this dish. The Cabernat Sauvignon that we ordered was especailly nice.Special Features:
- DinnerJosie60Dined on 5/27/2014Five of us went to Alewife for a light dinner prior to going to the Hippodrome to see The Celtic Woman. Our first waiter was very nice and attentive. Three of us ordered the fried oysters and tomato soup. The were great. Two order the salads with chicken and they were good too with a large piece of chicken on top. We split the cheesecake for dessert. WE enjoyed our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimembcyogaDined on 5/27/2014We had party of 4 on a Tuesday evening. We were greeted warmly, seated quickly and the waiter was fabulous. Helped with food and beer selections!! It was busy and fun!! Great place to start off an evening at the Hippodrome!!Special Features:
- Overpriced beer jointOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/24/2014If you are really into fancy expensive beers, this is your place. Service was inattentive, slow, poor unless you wanted to talk fancy expensive beers. Food was mediocre. Not recommended
- surpriseShelleyMacDined on 5/24/2014Went off of Open Tables recommendations and it was awesome!!!! the food, the beer list, and even the old rustic feeling of the building was cool!Special Features:
- Great for groupsGoodbar200Dined on 5/22/2014Great place to have fun. Good food, excellent service. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.