21 N Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alewifebaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4105455112x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday- Sunday: 11:30 am - 2:00am
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 4:00 pm-10:00 pm
Late Night: Monday-Thursday 10:00 pm - 11:30 pm, Friday & Saturday 10:00 pm - 12:30 am, Sunday 10:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday 11:30 am - 3:45 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Wells
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: please visit www.alewifebaltimore.com for information on special events both on and off site!
- Cross Street: W. Fayette Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: In addition to metered street parking there are three parking facilities within one square block of Alewife. The Avalon Parking Garage on Baltimore Street, the Hippodrome Parking Garage on Greene Street or the Apex Garage on N. Eutaw Street.
A word from Alewife
Alewife is a nationally acclaimed craft beer bar and award winning restaurant in the heart of Baltimore's city center. Alewife features a rotation of 40 taps of the finest craft beers from around the world, full bottle and wine lists, hand crafted cocktails and a seasonal menu of modern American/regional cuisine including Baltimore's best burger, the now legendary Smoke Burger. Alewife is conveniently located directly across from The Hippodrome Theater, directly next door to the Everyman Theater and a short walk from Oriole Park at Camden Yards, First Mariner Arena, The Baltimore Convention Center, M&T Stadium and many city center hotels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Alewife - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Alewife reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (60)neighborhood gem (54)hot spot (35)fit for foodies (35)good for groups (22)great for lunch (22)late-night find (20)special occasion (10)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Pre-theatreGladhillDined on 10/29/2014This is the place to go before a show at the Hippodrome Theater and maybe even before a ballgame. Great beer list!! Great food! They are aware of the showtime at the theater and will accommodate people wanting to finish in time for the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zsazsaDined on 10/25/2014We are all for the food coming out together, however, we waited almost 45 minutes for our dinner and when it did arrive, the tomato soup was cold and the accompanying grilled cheese was inedible and had to be sent back. It appeared to have been sitting under a heat lamp way too long. The waiter was attentive. The music was too loud and we had to scream at each other for conversation. I've been to alewife about six times and it has gotten worse with each experience; not sure that I'll return any time soon.
- Perfect before or after theaterB4CurtainDined on 10/25/2014We always try to dine at Alewife when we attend a play. Seasonal menu always contains delicious choices and the comfort food choice of grilled cheese and tomato soup is excellent.Special Features:
- Dinner/Theater NightJeanneDined on 10/25/2014Great spot for pre-Hippodrome events. Fabulous burgers. Known for their beer. Love the building with its bank history. The interior is striking. The music was uncomfortably loud. So much for conversation.Special Features:
- Great Beer List!PrettyboygirlVIPDined on 10/25/2014They have 40 beers on tap. None that I've ever heard of!!! They give you samples if you want to try before you buy. Great Catfish Tacos!Special Features:
- Excellent Bar SceneStacyDined on 10/24/2014Alewife has an outstanding selection of beers, many of which are on tap. Great ambiance with a unique vibe - original artwork adorns the walls and is for sale. The burger and Mac-and-Cheese are both to die for. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUD. !!!!!CookbackDined on 10/24/2014Great place for pre theater burger and beer. Small plates good options. Very good selection of beers and hard ciders. Very ecologically aware menu.... Uses invasive species for fish tacos and other main courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanetteDined on 10/22/2014Great little spot. I love the building itself - very cool. We had salad's with crab cakes that were delicious. The hamburgers and french fries looked yummy. Many, many beers to choose from. Don't expect much in the wine category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreMediocreDined on 10/19/2014I attend performances at the Hippodrome and go to Alewife occasionally. Every time I do, I remind myself that the food at this restaurant is fairly tasteless and that I shouldn't return. I had the roasted tomato soup (from a can?) and Mac and Cheese with VERY little cheese. And I had to pay extra for the bacon. It's a good thing I did so there was some taste to the bland pasta. Service was attentive, the ambiance is pleasant. If they would just use some flavor, it would be a great place to dine before the theater.
- grandtetonsDined on 10/19/2014Dined with friend rights before Hippodrome show-loved Millstone ciders. Smoked burger was amazing. Fun place to eat with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlewifefloydingDined on 10/18/2014Great food with an amazing beer list. Love how many taps they rotate through, there is always something new to try.Special Features:
- Great Beer and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014We have read a lot of good reviews about Alewife so we decided to go before a show at the Hippodrome. We will be retruning. The bar has a great beer selection with many craft beers on tap. My wife had the Cajun Pot Pie and I had the Smoke Burger. Both were very good but I have to say that the burger was one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Beer menu great-Dinner not so muchAgentKathyVIPDined on 10/18/2014The beer menu is extensive and you cannot go bad here for that but for dinner I would pass in the future. We were a group of five and the food was cold for everyone the second it came out including the fries, burgers, and pork shank. Service was slow and we had to grab the staff for simple things like small plates so we could share the 2 appetizers we ordered for the table. Everywhere I go appetizer plates come out when appetizers are being shared.
- Good vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Place was packed on Friday night but excellent beer list and food menu. Building is very cool, old bank. Does get noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerNotAFoodGuruDined on 10/16/2014We came to Alewife before a Hippodrome show. It was our 1st visit. We arrived 15 minutes before reservation time & were instructed to wait at the bar. Seats at the bar were full so sat at barstools along wall separating bar from dining area. We thought that a bar attendant would come over for drink orders but that didn't happened. Had to go stand at the end of the bar for a drink menu & to place a drink order. Beer selection was outstanding & bartender suggested I try several samples to help make choice. By that time, our reservation was up & we were immediately seated. Server was friendly & pleased to offer menu recommendations. We had Cajun pot pie & wild boar sliders- tasty & we would recommend. Notable to mention - VERY noisy!Special Features:
- Across from HippodromeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Great spot to have a drink and something to eat prior to a show. Interesting menu, with various selections you normally don't see (Wild Boar sliders & Roasted Vegetable Ragout), and standard favorites of Crab Cakes and a tasty Mac N' Cheese. Lot's of beer on tap and more in bottles with a full bar selection of top shelf liquor. It is located in a large open room in a beautiful old building that adds a great atmosphere. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrispyrsmdDined on 10/15/2014My wife had crab cakes that were so burned on the bottom that she had to scrape the top off to eat it. When the waitress came by to ask how dinner was, my wife showed her the charred remnants on her plate. I had the boar sliders and they were so over cooked they were actually crunchy. The slider rolls were dry and I ended up asking for more ketchup so that I could add enough moisture to them to eat them. The fries that came with the sliders were tasty, but the portion size was meager. It was insanely loud as it is really more of neighborhood bar than a restaurant. We were on our way to the theater so we didn't really have time to send dinner back and complain, which is what we would have otherwise done if we were just having dinner.Special Features:
- pre-theatre dinnerseajam2Dined on 10/15/2014great for the girls to have a pre-theatre dinner. we always enjoy the food and especially trying any new seasonal brew available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serverDeniseDined on 10/14/2014We had dinner at Alewife because of its proximity to the Hippodrome. We will go back because of the excellent service, amazing beer selection and good food. The dinner menu was somewhat limited but we thoroughly enjoyed what we did get. The server was very knowledgeable about their beers and made several suggestions that were spot on. After the theatre, we returned for another round before going home. The second server we had was just as good as the first. The noise level was very high at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great late night findAMChaseDined on 10/11/2014Easy to reach from Camden Yards, this became our post-game destination. We picked from a few points of information on Open Table, and ended up with a winner! We had a great time here and all four of us dined n different dishes- one we'd rate good, the other three as great. The Alehouse Salad was an excellent starter. The taco special, black bean burger, and signature burger were big hits. The cajun pot pie was good, but not the best item on the menu. We'd go back the next time we go to an Orioles game, and we have a ticket package for next year, so expect to see us there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BurgerAwesomeVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always love their burger and extensive beer list - great time!Special Features:
- Great food and beer!asdfDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant has really good food and a great beer list that pairs well with the food! Highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Not showing it's best this timels925Dined on 9/14/2014Ok so after trying to type a full review, I see OpenTable has quite a short limit of what I may type. So I will omit details. This was my 4th trip to Alewife and most disappointing. It was incredibly loud with people drinking before a baseball game (not "energetic") -- louder than any of my previous visits when the place has been packed with theater goers. They were out of certain items on the menu but didn't bother to tell us until after someone in our party tried to order them. My parents aren't often exposed to such a fantastic beer selection so when they asked for assistance in choosing I figured the request would be met with more enthusiasm. It wasn't. Food was fantastic(as usual). Ambiance was bad. Service was ok.Special Features:
- Great dining before show or gameRockette8Dined on 9/14/2014A short walk to the Hippodrome or Camden Yards, Alewife is great for getting a bite before or after any event. The architecture and details of the building are great, but it's the extensive list of beers and comfort food that will bring me back again. We arrived before a baseball game and had to wait just a few minutes to get seated. Our server was great and came to check on us during our meal. Overall a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downJohngDined on 9/14/2014This place was highly recommended. I couldn't believe how bad the food was. I won't be back. It was so loud, that I couldn't hold a conversation with my wife.Special Features:
- Great option before the show!beaglemanDined on 9/13/2014We found this gem while looking for places close to the Hippodrome. The beer list was phenomenal! There were a lot of options so we asked the server for his opinion and he was more than willing to share his thoughts on the various kinds. The food was delicious. They take "normal" ingredients and make masterpiece's out of them. I had the burger, which may sound boring...it was anything but. I can see why it has been voted the #1 burger in the City for 4 years running. Definitely make reservations if you are going to a show...the place fills up fast! I would recommend Alewife to anyone. We'll be going back whenever we are in town for a show.Special Features:
- Great meal before the playbritterVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had lunch before over to the Hippodrome. Great food and easy to park before show.Special Features:
- Cute establishmentAmccDined on 9/12/2014The place was cute. Small, and you're very close to other tables and patron eating. Food is excellent; my husband did the smoke burger and I did the catfish tacos. Awesome food. And this is where you want to go if you want a beer. Their beer selection is larger than their food selection. Our waitress was awesome in sugesting some beers and bringing samples to my husband to try. Overall, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer selectionPattyHdGDined on 9/11/2014We stopped here prior to a show at the Hippodrome. My daughter had the Burger and liked it a lot. I had the Seafood pot pie. It was spicy jumbalaya with a puff pastry on top. Seafood was scarce, but all I could taste was spice anyway. Others may love it, but it wasn't what I expected by the description on the menu. I would go back to enjoy a beer and a burger next time. Service was good and food came out reasonably quick. We had let them know we were going to the show. The weizen beer was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before TheatreBearDined on 9/11/2014My friend and I went there because we had tickets for a show at the Hippodrome and it is pretty much across the street. I had never been there before. I had made a reservation but we were sat in the bar which was disappointing. My friend arrived first so she may not have told them. It was VERY loud, but I don't know if that is normal because there was a Ravens game and it was the first night of the Sailabration so it may have been louder than usual. They do have a little bit of separate dining space so not sure why we weren't seated there instead. Food was very good and service was excellent. Our waitress was really really busy and was still attentive.Special Features:
- seajam2Dined on 9/10/2014The food and beverages were great. our waiter was very attentive, right on with his recommendations. love going to alewife before the theater. it makes the whole night complete.Special Features:
- Dinner and a ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Great dinner before the show. Great service and super food. Perfect spot before heading over to the Hippo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sept. 9, 2014mygalsalDined on 9/9/20144th time eating at Alewife . . . disappointed this time. Both appetizers of clams and muscles overcooked and tough. Brussel sprouts not cooked enough. Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich were just barely room temp, at best. Probably won't return there again.
- Enjoyable, Pre-Theatre ExperienceG2AJDined on 9/9/2014Located right across the street from the Hippodrome, the Alewife is an excellent Pre-theatre place to grab a bite and a cocktail. Reasonable prices and good service prevail.
- pre-Os gamerjhonVIPDined on 9/2/2014good food, good atmosphere and good beer. a short walk to Camden Yards. the Gumbo was delicious - just wish there was a bit more of itSpecial Features:
- DisappointingZeldaDined on 8/30/2014First, it is very noisy. The service was slow. Those could be tolerated for good food. We had looked at the menu to choose Alewife, and there seemed to be many good choices. In reality, I am allergic to cilantro (no, I don't just dislike it as many people do), and even though the menu mentions it in one or two dishes, when I asked, I found it was in ALL but a handful of dishes. And not just on the side, but thoroughly mixed in. And we're not talking about the type of cuisine that cries out for cilantro (like Indian or Mexican ). The dish I got (snakehead ) was decent, on a bed of totally bland grits and accompanied by very salty asparagus.
- Waited 1.5 hours for foodDisappointedDined on 8/30/2014A group including myself were attending a 7:00 O's game, so we went to Alewife beforehand and were seated at 5:30. The restaurant was busy, but no more than usual. We waited 10 minutes for service, and put in our food orders at 5:40. At 6:30 (1 hour after we were seated) we were told the food would be 5 more minutes. It wasn't until 6:55, nearly 1.5hrs after we arrived, that the food came out. By then it was too late, and we had to leave without eating in order to make the O's game. The experience was extremely disappointing, as I have been going to Alewife for a number of years. Being busy is no excuse b/c 1) it is ALWAYS busy, and 2) three tables seated after us got their food 15min before us. I will not be back for a while.Special Features:
- Enjoyed everything about itCarnivoreDined on 8/30/2014The smoke burger, the beer selection, the character of the place - all were fantastic. Arrived at 5:40 for dinner before a 7:05 game, and they were a few minutes into the first inning by the time we got to our seats, so probably should have started out just a little earlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent beer list & amazing food.ArushiNinadDined on 8/26/2014I have come here before and unlike other places the experience is consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathybDined on 8/23/2014Interesting menu, with an assortment of choices. Beer list was extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.