21 N Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alewifebaltimore.com/
- Phone: 4105455112x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday- Sunday: 11:30 am - 2:00am
Dinner: Monday - Sunday 4:00 pm-10:00 pm
Late Night: Monday-Thursday 10:00 pm - 11:30 pm, Friday & Saturday 10:00 pm - 12:30 am, Sunday 10:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday 11:30 am - 3:45 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Wells
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: please visit www.alewifebaltimore.com for information on special events both on and off site!
- Cross Street: W. Fayette Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: In addition to metered street parking there are three parking facilities within one square block of Alewife. The Avalon Parking Garage on Baltimore Street, the Hippodrome Parking Garage on Greene Street or the Apex Garage on N. Eutaw Street.
A word from Alewife
Alewife is a nationally acclaimed craft beer bar and award winning restaurant in the heart of Baltimore's city center. Alewife features a rotation of 40 taps of the finest craft beers from around the world, full bottle and wine lists, hand crafted cocktails and a seasonal menu of modern American/regional cuisine including Baltimore's best burger, the now legendary Smoke Burger. Alewife is conveniently located directly across from The Hippodrome Theater, directly next door to the Everyman Theater and a short walk from Oriole Park at Camden Yards, First Mariner Arena, The Baltimore Convention Center, M&T Stadium and many city center hotels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Alewife - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Alewife reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)vibrant bar scene (48)fit for foodies (30)good for groups (22)hot spot (21)great for lunch (20)late-night find (19)special occasion (7)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Not showing it's best this timels925Dined on 9/14/2014Ok so after trying to type a full review, I see OpenTable has quite a short limit of what I may type. So I will omit details. This was my 4th trip to Alewife and most disappointing. It was incredibly loud with people drinking before a baseball game (not "energetic") -- louder than any of my previous visits when the place has been packed with theater goers. They were out of certain items on the menu but didn't bother to tell us until after someone in our party tried to order them. My parents aren't often exposed to such a fantastic beer selection so when they asked for assistance in choosing I figured the request would be met with more enthusiasm. It wasn't. Food was fantastic(as usual). Ambiance was bad. Service was ok.Special Features:
- Great dining before show or gameRockette8Dined on 9/14/2014A short walk to the Hippodrome or Camden Yards, Alewife is great for getting a bite before or after any event. The architecture and details of the building are great, but it's the extensive list of beers and comfort food that will bring me back again. We arrived before a baseball game and had to wait just a few minutes to get seated. Our server was great and came to check on us during our meal. Overall a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let downJohngDined on 9/14/2014This place was highly recommended. I couldn't believe how bad the food was. I won't be back. It was so loud, that I couldn't hold a conversation with my wife.Special Features:
- Great option before the show!beaglemanDined on 9/13/2014We found this gem while looking for places close to the Hippodrome. The beer list was phenomenal! There were a lot of options so we asked the server for his opinion and he was more than willing to share his thoughts on the various kinds. The food was delicious. They take "normal" ingredients and make masterpiece's out of them. I had the burger, which may sound boring...it was anything but. I can see why it has been voted the #1 burger in the City for 4 years running. Definitely make reservations if you are going to a show...the place fills up fast! I would recommend Alewife to anyone. We'll be going back whenever we are in town for a show.Special Features:
- Great meal before the playbritterVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had lunch before over to the Hippodrome. Great food and easy to park before show.Special Features:
- Cute establishmentAmccDined on 9/12/2014The place was cute. Small, and you're very close to other tables and patron eating. Food is excellent; my husband did the smoke burger and I did the catfish tacos. Awesome food. And this is where you want to go if you want a beer. Their beer selection is larger than their food selection. Our waitress was awesome in sugesting some beers and bringing samples to my husband to try. Overall, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer selectionPattyHdGDined on 9/11/2014We stopped here prior to a show at the Hippodrome. My daughter had the Burger and liked it a lot. I had the Seafood pot pie. It was spicy jumbalaya with a puff pastry on top. Seafood was scarce, but all I could taste was spice anyway. Others may love it, but it wasn't what I expected by the description on the menu. I would go back to enjoy a beer and a burger next time. Service was good and food came out reasonably quick. We had let them know we were going to the show. The weizen beer was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before TheatreBearDined on 9/11/2014My friend and I went there because we had tickets for a show at the Hippodrome and it is pretty much across the street. I had never been there before. I had made a reservation but we were sat in the bar which was disappointing. My friend arrived first so she may not have told them. It was VERY loud, but I don't know if that is normal because there was a Ravens game and it was the first night of the Sailabration so it may have been louder than usual. They do have a little bit of separate dining space so not sure why we weren't seated there instead. Food was very good and service was excellent. Our waitress was really really busy and was still attentive.Special Features:
- seajam2Dined on 9/10/2014The food and beverages were great. our waiter was very attentive, right on with his recommendations. love going to alewife before the theater. it makes the whole night complete.Special Features:
- Dinner and a ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Great dinner before the show. Great service and super food. Perfect spot before heading over to the Hippo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sept. 9, 2014mygalsalDined on 9/9/20144th time eating at Alewife . . . disappointed this time. Both appetizers of clams and muscles overcooked and tough. Brussel sprouts not cooked enough. Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich were just barely room temp, at best. Probably won't return there again.
- Enjoyable, Pre-Theatre ExperienceG2AJDined on 9/9/2014Located right across the street from the Hippodrome, the Alewife is an excellent Pre-theatre place to grab a bite and a cocktail. Reasonable prices and good service prevail.
- pre-Os gamerjhonVIPDined on 9/2/2014good food, good atmosphere and good beer. a short walk to Camden Yards. the Gumbo was delicious - just wish there was a bit more of itSpecial Features:
- DisappointingZeldaDined on 8/30/2014First, it is very noisy. The service was slow. Those could be tolerated for good food. We had looked at the menu to choose Alewife, and there seemed to be many good choices. In reality, I am allergic to cilantro (no, I don't just dislike it as many people do), and even though the menu mentions it in one or two dishes, when I asked, I found it was in ALL but a handful of dishes. And not just on the side, but thoroughly mixed in. And we're not talking about the type of cuisine that cries out for cilantro (like Indian or Mexican ). The dish I got (snakehead ) was decent, on a bed of totally bland grits and accompanied by very salty asparagus.
- Waited 1.5 hours for foodDisappointedDined on 8/30/2014A group including myself were attending a 7:00 O's game, so we went to Alewife beforehand and were seated at 5:30. The restaurant was busy, but no more than usual. We waited 10 minutes for service, and put in our food orders at 5:40. At 6:30 (1 hour after we were seated) we were told the food would be 5 more minutes. It wasn't until 6:55, nearly 1.5hrs after we arrived, that the food came out. By then it was too late, and we had to leave without eating in order to make the O's game. The experience was extremely disappointing, as I have been going to Alewife for a number of years. Being busy is no excuse b/c 1) it is ALWAYS busy, and 2) three tables seated after us got their food 15min before us. I will not be back for a while.Special Features:
- Enjoyed everything about itCarnivoreDined on 8/30/2014The smoke burger, the beer selection, the character of the place - all were fantastic. Arrived at 5:40 for dinner before a 7:05 game, and they were a few minutes into the first inning by the time we got to our seats, so probably should have started out just a little earlier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent beer list & amazing food.ArushiNinadDined on 8/26/2014I have come here before and unlike other places the experience is consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathybDined on 8/23/2014Interesting menu, with an assortment of choices. Beer list was extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Smoke. Burgers!LaurueannvanDined on 8/23/2014Reserved a table before a Saturday night concert at the Hippodrome. across the street. We had a couple drafts- they have many craft beers. Their Alewife salad was large enough for us to split- greens, blue cheese, asparagus, pecans, etc! And the burgers did not did not disappoint! It also comes with their fries done in duck fat- very tasty and crispy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations a must pre theatermcwheltleDined on 8/23/2014The Alewife is our go-to restaurant before attending a show at the Hippodrome. The food is eclectic. If you have a member of your party who is strictly meat and potatoes--this is not the restaurant for you. We had four different dishes--all tasty. They have an impressive beer selection. Our waiter was prompt and attentive without hovering. They are respectful of the time for theater patrons. We have been many times and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Brew Pub W Incredible food!cbinMDDined on 8/23/2014I selected Alewife because of its location close to the Hippodrome Theater. Needed a pre-concert place for a few drinks and a meal. Exceeded all my expectations. The beers on tap were impressive and the food was unbelievable. Best Gumbo we have ever had! Not a romantic place, unless you are lucky enough to get one of the secluded spaces in this beautifully restored building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BDay DinnerBaltimoreGamblersDined on 8/21/2014Ate here for a casual weeknight birthday dinner. The Happy Hour Specials were good. The food is excellent. Drinks were great. We really enjoyed ourselves. We have been here several times and always enjoy our experience.Special Features:
- Great burgers!SunmoonDined on 8/1/2014Burgers are the best, come hungry! 40 beers on tap and the beer policy is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer, good foodRickVIPDined on 7/26/2014I had the hop BBQ chick sandwich. I miss the kobe hotdogs, but this was good also. My guests had the smoke burger and seemed very satisfied. The service was fine, but the beer list is the reason to visit Alewife. Great rotating choices; something for everyone. I had a delicious IPA and another IPA. One of my guests had the "Baltimore Sour", which was surprisingly tasty.Special Features:
- tobesDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant had a good selection of draft beers and cocktails. We both tried the smoke burger, which was definitely tasty. Overall a good experience, pleasant wait staff and not too noisy inside. I'd probably go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014The service was very slow and several times we waiting for at least 10 minutes with no drink. The crab cakes were full of shells so enjoying them was difficult. The catfish tacos were tasty as were the duck fries. For a restaurant in a popular area of Baltimore City the management needs to focus more on training wait staff to be attentive and be mindful of the food being served to quest.
- Inner harborOtonoseDined on 7/12/2014Went to Alewife after O's game. Great beer selection,cool atmosphere and good food. Just avoid the alligator bites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkMarkDined on 7/12/2014Alligator fingers were a bit too chewy. Duck fat fries were delicious. Beers were delicious. Waitress was good, though she pulled the old "do you have change for a ten" trick on the tip. I tipped her 17 percent which was more than generous for the service we got. Alewife will get my business again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and yummyJacksonDined on 7/11/2014We really enjoyed our experience at Alewife. Casual, an amazing beer list and really good food. Servers were friendly and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was meh...emmmDined on 7/9/2014Got the smoke burger with duck fat fries since they had good reviews, however the burger was dry and not cooked medium as requested also I've never had duck fat fries before so i cant compare them to anything but they just tasted like regular fries but with rosemary seasoning and a little burnt. Pretty expensive for the quality of food, but maybe it was because it was quite busy when I went. Wait staff was pretty nice though.Special Features:
- Usually love Alewife...KBDinesDined on 7/7/2014... But today's fine was lacking! Service was attentive, but our server didn't seen very informed about beverage choices. My food was great, as always, but two friends ordered mussels from the happy hour menu, which came out with a strong fishy smell and were very tough. They did take them back willingly, and the rest of the experience was good overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Very much an after work crowd. Lucky to get to eat in the "small" vault which was fun and a little creepy. Highly recommend Mac n cheese w/ bacon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Watering HoleDarranDMVDined on 6/27/2014I've been to Alewife a few times when visiting Baltimore. The food and service are very consistent. The food is good - better than typical pub food but nothing out of this world. A friend and her family were visiting from Tampa for a baseball game and we needed a kid-friendly meeting place that was close to the park. Alewife seemed like a great choice. My friends enjoyed the meal and REALLY enjoyed the beer selection. One of the kids enjoyed his alligator tail - even though we warned him it was probably imported from Florida. My friend is vegetarian and there were even some good options for her. All-in-all, it was a very good choice for a pre-game nosh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining out with co-workers100LightDinerDined on 6/26/2014The food and service were excellent from the waiting time, presentation, taste and great attention to details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and BeautifulGurlDined on 6/23/2014The menu looked pretty good online and it did NOT disappoint. 40 taps with really good beer. We got the burger and the boar sliders and both were perfectly cooked and excellent. Beautiful bar area, love the little tables squirreled away. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- AlewifeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Great beer selection, but several of our items (burgers, sliders) were overcooked.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014The fish tacos were great, as were the wild boar sliders. Good food and company.Special Features:
- UniqueBajaDined on 6/21/2014Menu, ambiance, decor - all unique and worth the visit. Great beer selection but the service was even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Beer So So FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014My dining partner had mussels and duck fat fries, which she said were very good. I had a vegetarian grain and vegetable dish that was so spicy it was almost inedible. The menu mentioned a curry sauce, but not how spicy the dish was. The vegetables in the dish were also quite crunchy and undercooked. There was no offer to adjust the check or offer a comp drink when I told the server about the problems with the dish. Would go back here for drinks, but not food.Special Features:
- Make reservations before a showNoThanksVIPDined on 6/13/2014Right across the street from the Hippodrome .. great beer selection (ever changing), very good food, cool atmosphere. What more could you ask for before or after a show?Special Features: