7 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aleorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 691-8136
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm, Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:45pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:45pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Pietro Raimondi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On and Off premise catering. Private parties are welcome.
- Special Events: We are available for private parties, and willing to work with you on any budget requirements you have.
A word from Aleo
ALEO Restaurant & Bar showcases innovative Mediterranean and Italian cuisine with expertly prepared fresh seafood dishes, original pasta creations, prime cut meats and signature starters. ALEO features an outdoor landscaped garden area for dining al fresco and a welcoming marble bar. Voted by Citysearch as ONE OF THE TOP TEN MEDITERANEAN restaurants in NYC. Zagat "A GREAT DATE PLACE".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aleo reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (5)special occasion (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- GoodDavidVIPDined on 11/19/2014Food was good and very enjoyable. Delicious pasta, great baked eggplant, and the veal chop and baby lamb chops were also delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and FunDiningGirlDined on 11/10/2014Aleo is a great after work place to meet friends and eat, drink, and just have fun. The staff are friendly, the service is attentive (always refilling water glasses and asking for refills on drinks). Menu Selection is good and food quality is excellent. For a starter, I had the baked clams for the first time and found the seasoned breadcrumbs to be delish! Each clam was served on top of a grilled zuchini slice that was unique and tasty.Special Features:
- Enjoyable and recommended.JohnVIPDined on 11/5/2014Aleo is a great spot for conversation, over a quiet dinner, with attentive service and good food.Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 11/1/2014I love the relaxed feel of Aleo. Service was excellent and guests particularly enjoyed the baked clams, veal chop and veal milanase dishes. It was a great setting for getting our friends and family together for a family celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 10/29/2014Aleo has good food at reasonable prices. The staff is always warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Always a Winner..AleoCapHillTravellerVIPDined on 10/20/2014We love visiting the CITY and when we have a moment, dining at ALEO is a pure treat. The food is amazing and the service excellent. When the weather permits, the Outside Terrace with the Open Ceiling is great. Favorites on the menu: Sauted Squid, Lamb, and ANY PASTA dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYABLE + LOVELY ITALIANCwjeVIPDined on 10/19/2014Aleo is a really great find... Delicious Italian fare, many menu items to choose from and generous portions! Really great service!!!! Anthony, our server, was most attentive and brought us a complimentary anitpasta while we sipped our fabulous cocktails. The outdoor/protected garden area a plus. You will feel at home and yet special!!!Special Features:
- Nice b'dayroby2000Dined on 10/8/2014We went for my partner's birthday. Had great baked clams, sefood salad, trout and chicken scariella. A good bottle of French rose for $28. Very nice servers.Special Features:
- SadOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/24/2014I never say anything this awful but if they don't get rid of the male waiter, the place will go under. He was just horrible.Special Features:
- Don't go to AleoDonnieDined on 9/20/2014The only thin good about Aleo is the prices. You need to remove Aleo from your list. It was terrible. They had a private group in the back and used that as an excuse for the extremely slow service. I mean sloooooooooow. We were a party of 5 and the rest of restaurant had some people but it wasn't packed. Ordered sole francaise and waiter came back after a long while and said the sole was not fresh and we should order something else. Sign of problem, right? Ordered seafood in spicy red sauce with pasta. Pasta was mush and seafood and sauce were tasteless. No one in our group enjoyed their meal. Then music with party in back got loud. Very, very loud. I will never return to this restaurant. It was awful!!!!!
- FantasticGussDined on 9/9/2014Really good from the start to the end will be back sonI would recommend this to a friend.
- Flatiron standardNearDined on 9/9/2014Not cool, but comfortable & grown up neighborhood Italian. Good happy hour at a lively bar. I've been with groups in their garden. It's priced right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE ITFOODISMYLIFEDined on 7/28/2014What more can I say. the food is delicious, and the people are genuine. Nothing pretentious here. If there is something off the menu that I have requested it was made and was delicious. The menu is great as well. The Lamb Chops, and the Pastas are fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 351 reviews are from the Aleo reviews archive.
- AleoWarrenDined on 7/18/2014Needs much attention. Ordered grilled squid but they brought out deep fried, which I sent back. The subsequent grilled squid was only OK. Pizza was fair. Salad, with watermelon and nuts and feta did not have any feta. Hanger steak was fair to good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2014Eat here often. Good homestyle italian food. Service great. Staff very welcoming.Special Features:
- ExcellentGussDined on 6/30/2014Went there with my girlfriend the waitstaff and the food was excellent great spot for dinner the outside sitting which wee love we defenetly return on our next time to the citi !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting saladslunchat1Dined on 6/24/2014My two companions and I each had a different salad and enjoyed them all--Mediterranean touches, nice greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingJannVIPDined on 6/14/2014Saturday night 8pm reservation, there were only two other tables occupied. We had a Groupon coupon. I ordered the special blackened Mahi-Mahi. The fish was overcooked and the blackening spices were applied after it was cooked. I have had better fish in a diner. My husband had the orchiette which he liked. Tiramisau was good. We hav eaten here sporadrically over the past 20 years but after this experience, I won't go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/3/2014Great red sauce Italian. Service is always good staff very friendly food very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great red sauce ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2014Octopus great. Pasta al dente fish good service great. Great neighborhood spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food,KristineDined on 5/29/2014Food was good, service was ok - our waiter was not very attentive- had to track him down a couple of times for items - a glass a wine, a fork, the check, etc. There was a large party going on in the back of the restaurant at the same time so we had to wait for a table and then we were relegated to a front table opposite the bar. The whole restaurant seemed chaotic - not a relaxing vibe. But the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gramercy Find1njgalVIPDined on 5/22/2014We had never been here before but located on Open Table since we wanted to dine in this area. The restaurant was extremely busy with two large groups. At the beginning, after we were seated, no one came over to even take our drink order….they were busy with the groups. At this point my boyfriend ordered drinks from the bar himself….the owner came over when he realized we were not getting service. He more than made up for the situation by attending to us himself. After that the evening was great. We both ordered the filet of sole and the dish was delicious. We dined comfortably and realized the busyness of the evening caught them shorthanded. Overall we were very satisfied and enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyKevinVIPDined on 5/21/2014The pumpkin ravioli was very good and there are many others I was interested in.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good at AleoLauraVIPDined on 5/13/2014I've dined at Aleo's several times. The food is always fresh, consistent, and tasty! They have a back room where the roof opens - which is great. In addition, the service is wonderful. The cannoli's are to die for! I highly reccomend Aleo's anytime for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- good for mix of agesHopewellDinerDined on 5/13/2014had a nice time at Aleo with my daughter and her bridesmaids to be. very pleasant service, menu had items to please different tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super findsearchingforrestaurantVIPDined on 4/30/2014Last minute reservations. Nobody was in there but our biz party if three. We were worried but it turned out perfect! Excellent choice for a quiet place with super food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014Food is consistently excellent here. Service can be slow at times but very congenial and relaxed. Not a place to dine if you have a time pressure or are looking for a scene but a great place for an evening to enjoy company and great food. Fish is always reliably fresh and cooked to order. They are always gracious about substitutions - swapping one veggie for another or double veggies to avoid the starch. One of my favorite places to go.Special Features:
- I felt like family!DanielDined on 4/25/2014Peter and his staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. The service is genuine, the drinks are honest and the food is outstanding. Excellent value....I left the place feeling like I got my moneys worth. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Easter treat!WilonaDined on 4/20/2014Having spent 2 exhausting days helping my daughter move in NYC all I wanted was I good sit down meal. We were not disappointed! Aleo is a little gem. They have a lovely bar area with a nice assortment of drinks and the dining space itself was lovely. Our service was spot on and the food divine. We enjoyed the ham and lamb. The proportions were perfect. I recommend you try Aleo. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great appsVanKidDined on 4/12/2014Our starters were great and entres poor. There was a private party happening in the garden so the rest of the place couldn't hear ourselves think.Special Features:
- surprising findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014I had read previous reviews that varied so I wasn't sure what to expect. Our party of 4 was very impressed. It was late...we came after a show in the village...and had a great meal. It wasn't too busy so service was good. The calamari was excellent and the salads were good. We had the ahi tuna, hanger steak and sole...all were prepared very well and to our specifications. The ambiance is ok...a little dark and could use a little sprucing up. But we didn't care...the wine list was great and they had a good variety of beer on tap. Friendly waitress and staff. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything Here Amazzzzing!!Leora1Dined on 4/5/2014The food blew me away and I was so happy to support a restaurant that does local farm to table. The grilled calamari and yellowfin tuna were cooked to perfection. Everything was fresh and the portions are a nice size. Good enough for my girlfriend and I to split 2 apps and a entree and feel satisfied. What we enjoyed best was the food was not rushed and it took a while to come out which really gave us a chance to enjoy our meal and conversation. I'm definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a night!!!!!!!!the51generalDined on 4/5/2014What a way to end the night with a quiet dinner with my wfe after a play during the day. Food and drink was fabulous as soon as we walked in the door. All the courses were fresh and the food was great. Will definatly be coming back to Aleo again and againSpecial Features:
- It's unacceptable that youOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/22/2014It's unacceptable that you have to ask the waiter every time to bring water to the table or every item that was ordered took forever. Music extremely loud due to a party on the back that was not properly isolated from the restaurant.
- What a surprise!ChrisDined on 3/14/2014Went here on a date with a Groupon expecting nothing much -- extremely impressed. Every aspect, from the atmosphere to the service to the delicious food (Salmon Tartar, Parpardelle, Veal Cho) was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent foodAnnaDined on 3/14/2014This was our 2nd time dining at Aleo. Again we were very impressed with the food and attentive wait staff. We had our 3 children with us this time and the staff were very accommodating to the kids. Our youngest wanted to try the soup do the waiter brought her a small bowl of her own. Would definitely recommend and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old school feel with just okay foodbeamreachDined on 3/14/2014This place is very loud and old-school, and can be romantic. We are not Italian and think Italian food is overall fairly benign if not boring, and Aleo did nothing to change our minds. Aleo is inexpensive for Manhattan, but the food is probably below average for Manhattan, as well--so you get what you pay for. I got the Veal Chop, which was massive and tasty, but also dry and way over cooked, a far cry from the juicy medium-rare I was expecting after a long wait; that's another thing, this place is slow, which may account for some of the aforementioned old-school feeling. We enjoyed Aleo for the loud, old-school atmosphere and decent service, and may even return...but it won't be because of the food.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed it. Very comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2014Really enjoyed it. Very comfortable atmosphere. The menu had some great choices and everyone at my table was very happy with their selections. Only issue was that the first two bottles of wine we ordered were not available but we did find something else we liked. I will go back and look forward to sitting in the garden in better weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed MashKadiDined on 2/27/2014Slow night and slow service. One entree was incorrect and we had to wait even longer to have the proper preparation of the dish ordered. A free glass of wine and an apology from the chef is not enough to go back again. The menu is too broad a spectrum to be considered primarily Italian. Decent size portions however. Wait staff needs to buck up.Special Features:
- Service was great just likeJaWDDined on 2/22/2014Service was great just like last time we were there. They made my son whatever he wanted because he didn't see anything he wanted on the menu. Will definitely keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.