7 West 20th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aleorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2126918136x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm, Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:45pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:45pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Pietro Raimondi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On and Off premise catering. Private parties are welcome.
- Special Events: We are available for private parties, and willing to work with you on any budget requirements you have.
A word from Aleo
ALEO Restaurant & Bar showcases innovative Mediterranean and Italian cuisine with expertly prepared fresh seafood dishes, original pasta creations, prime cut meats and signature starters. ALEO features an outdoor landscaped garden area for dining al fresco and a welcoming marble bar. Voted by Citysearch as ONE OF THE TOP TEN MEDITERANEAN restaurants in NYC. Zagat "A GREAT DATE PLACE".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aleo reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (7)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (2)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- AleoWarrenDined on 7/18/2014Needs much attention. Ordered grilled squid but they brought out deep fried, which I sent back. The subsequent grilled squid was only OK. Pizza was fair. Salad, with watermelon and nuts and feta did not have any feta. Hanger steak was fair to good.
- MS2014Dined on 7/17/2014Meat was undercooked (literally raw in the middle when I received it); I requested that they cook it longer, and it came back with portions still raw. Wines were bland and waiter was not particularly helpful in selecting a wine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2014Eat here often. Good homestyle italian food. Service great. Staff very welcoming.Special Features:
- ExcellentGussDined on 6/30/2014Went there with my girlfriend the waitstaff and the food was excellent great spot for dinner the outside sitting which wee love we defenetly return on our next time to the citi !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/25/2014I had a pre-theater dinner there and the food was just awful! Stay away.
- Interesting saladslunchat1Dined on 6/24/2014My two companions and I each had a different salad and enjoyed them all--Mediterranean touches, nice greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingJannVIPDined on 6/14/2014Saturday night 8pm reservation, there were only two other tables occupied. We had a Groupon coupon. I ordered the special blackened Mahi-Mahi. The fish was overcooked and the blackening spices were applied after it was cooked. I have had better fish in a diner. My husband had the orchiette which he liked. Tiramisau was good. We hav eaten here sporadrically over the past 20 years but after this experience, I won't go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/3/2014Great red sauce Italian. Service is always good staff very friendly food very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great red sauce ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2014Octopus great. Pasta al dente fish good service great. Great neighborhood spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food,KristineDined on 5/29/2014Food was good, service was ok - our waiter was not very attentive- had to track him down a couple of times for items - a glass a wine, a fork, the check, etc. There was a large party going on in the back of the restaurant at the same time so we had to wait for a table and then we were relegated to a front table opposite the bar. The whole restaurant seemed chaotic - not a relaxing vibe. But the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gramercy Find1njgalVIPDined on 5/22/2014We had never been here before but located on Open Table since we wanted to dine in this area. The restaurant was extremely busy with two large groups. At the beginning, after we were seated, no one came over to even take our drink order….they were busy with the groups. At this point my boyfriend ordered drinks from the bar himself….the owner came over when he realized we were not getting service. He more than made up for the situation by attending to us himself. After that the evening was great. We both ordered the filet of sole and the dish was delicious. We dined comfortably and realized the busyness of the evening caught them shorthanded. Overall we were very satisfied and enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyKevinVIPDined on 5/21/2014The pumpkin ravioli was very good and there are many others I was interested in.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good at AleoLauraDined on 5/13/2014I've dined at Aleo's several times. The food is always fresh, consistent, and tasty! They have a back room where the roof opens - which is great. In addition, the service is wonderful. The cannoli's are to die for! I highly reccomend Aleo's anytime for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- good for mix of agesHopewellDinerDined on 5/13/2014had a nice time at Aleo with my daughter and her bridesmaids to be. very pleasant service, menu had items to please different tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 339 reviews are from the Aleo reviews archive.
- Super findsearchingforrestaurantDined on 4/30/2014Last minute reservations. Nobody was in there but our biz party if three. We were worried but it turned out perfect! Excellent choice for a quiet place with super food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014Food is consistently excellent here. Service can be slow at times but very congenial and relaxed. Not a place to dine if you have a time pressure or are looking for a scene but a great place for an evening to enjoy company and great food. Fish is always reliably fresh and cooked to order. They are always gracious about substitutions - swapping one veggie for another or double veggies to avoid the starch. One of my favorite places to go.Special Features:
- I felt like family!DanielDined on 4/25/2014Peter and his staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. The service is genuine, the drinks are honest and the food is outstanding. Excellent value....I left the place feeling like I got my moneys worth. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Easter treat!WilonaDined on 4/20/2014Having spent 2 exhausting days helping my daughter move in NYC all I wanted was I good sit down meal. We were not disappointed! Aleo is a little gem. They have a lovely bar area with a nice assortment of drinks and the dining space itself was lovely. Our service was spot on and the food divine. We enjoyed the ham and lamb. The proportions were perfect. I recommend you try Aleo. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great appsVanKidDined on 4/12/2014Our starters were great and entres poor. There was a private party happening in the garden so the rest of the place couldn't hear ourselves think.Special Features:
- surprising findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014I had read previous reviews that varied so I wasn't sure what to expect. Our party of 4 was very impressed. It was late...we came after a show in the village...and had a great meal. It wasn't too busy so service was good. The calamari was excellent and the salads were good. We had the ahi tuna, hanger steak and sole...all were prepared very well and to our specifications. The ambiance is ok...a little dark and could use a little sprucing up. But we didn't care...the wine list was great and they had a good variety of beer on tap. Friendly waitress and staff. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything Here Amazzzzing!!Leora1Dined on 4/5/2014The food blew me away and I was so happy to support a restaurant that does local farm to table. The grilled calamari and yellowfin tuna were cooked to perfection. Everything was fresh and the portions are a nice size. Good enough for my girlfriend and I to split 2 apps and a entree and feel satisfied. What we enjoyed best was the food was not rushed and it took a while to come out which really gave us a chance to enjoy our meal and conversation. I'm definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a night!!!!!!!!the51generalDined on 4/5/2014What a way to end the night with a quiet dinner with my wfe after a play during the day. Food and drink was fabulous as soon as we walked in the door. All the courses were fresh and the food was great. Will definatly be coming back to Aleo again and againSpecial Features:
- It's unacceptable that youOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/22/2014It's unacceptable that you have to ask the waiter every time to bring water to the table or every item that was ordered took forever. Music extremely loud due to a party on the back that was not properly isolated from the restaurant.
- What a surprise!ChrisDined on 3/14/2014Went here on a date with a Groupon expecting nothing much -- extremely impressed. Every aspect, from the atmosphere to the service to the delicious food (Salmon Tartar, Parpardelle, Veal Cho) was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent foodAnnaDined on 3/14/2014This was our 2nd time dining at Aleo. Again we were very impressed with the food and attentive wait staff. We had our 3 children with us this time and the staff were very accommodating to the kids. Our youngest wanted to try the soup do the waiter brought her a small bowl of her own. Would definitely recommend and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old school feel with just okay foodbeamreachDined on 3/14/2014This place is very loud and old-school, and can be romantic. We are not Italian and think Italian food is overall fairly benign if not boring, and Aleo did nothing to change our minds. Aleo is inexpensive for Manhattan, but the food is probably below average for Manhattan, as well--so you get what you pay for. I got the Veal Chop, which was massive and tasty, but also dry and way over cooked, a far cry from the juicy medium-rare I was expecting after a long wait; that's another thing, this place is slow, which may account for some of the aforementioned old-school feeling. We enjoyed Aleo for the loud, old-school atmosphere and decent service, and may even return...but it won't be because of the food.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed it. Very comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2014Really enjoyed it. Very comfortable atmosphere. The menu had some great choices and everyone at my table was very happy with their selections. Only issue was that the first two bottles of wine we ordered were not available but we did find something else we liked. I will go back and look forward to sitting in the garden in better weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed MashKadiDined on 2/27/2014Slow night and slow service. One entree was incorrect and we had to wait even longer to have the proper preparation of the dish ordered. A free glass of wine and an apology from the chef is not enough to go back again. The menu is too broad a spectrum to be considered primarily Italian. Decent size portions however. Wait staff needs to buck up.Special Features:
- Service was great just likeJaWDDined on 2/22/2014Service was great just like last time we were there. They made my son whatever he wanted because he didn't see anything he wanted on the menu. Will definitely keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for Happy Hour and stay for sinnTravelingwomanVIPDined on 2/19/2014Excellent Happy Hour with very accommodating bartender. Food at very reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outSeinfeldnyDined on 2/14/2014Went here for a date night , the place was very busy but they still took the time for every table to get what they need. Great place for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014This is a nice romantic restaurant. The is a nice quiet ambience to the place. The food is ok nothing special.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindElenaDined on 2/12/2014This is a great restaurant, unassuming on the outside but warm and cozy on the inside. It has an extensive menu, something for everyone so all your guests can find something suitable and delicious to eat. The food was not only tasty but bountiful -- enough to take home from both the appetizer and the main course. And the prices are not outrageous. What a wonderful dining experience for New York City!Special Features:
- Awful!!!NYCDinerDined on 1/24/2014The worst restaurant I've ever eaten at. the service was mediocre and it was excellent compared to the horrible food. Don't Go!!!
- Pleasant restaurantlovetoeatVIPDined on 1/15/2014The dining experience was very pleasant. Staff was attentive and eager to please. Food was good although the calamari was a little tough (we did not complain). Service was good. Since we shared three items, they were divided before brought to the table, which was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Food is always excellent !CwjeVIPDined on 1/12/2014Food is always excellent ! Service always great! Thank you to Conrad for taking excellent care of us!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for New Year's EveCatch988Dined on 12/31/2013I went there with my girlfriend and it was just amazing, the food was ok although they took too long and didn't let us cancel the third plate we ordered, they gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne and new year's hats, horns, etc which was really a great touch and was very fun, will definitely go there again, the staff was friendly and there was a live musician, it was really very very funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun NYE dinnerfitz42Dined on 12/31/2013Came to Aleo for New Years Eve dinner. At midnight they gave every table a free bottle of champagne and party favors, making the atmosphere nice and festive without being rowdy. The food was generally excellent. I can recommend the antipasto, the pumpkin ravioli and the handmade gnocchi. The mascarpone cheesecake was solid but not mindblowing. The appetizer that has artichokes, mushrooms and cream cheese in a dip with pita points was a little too cream-cheesy for my tastes. Careful if they're very busy - the waiter swiped my debit card too many times and ended up triggering a suspicious activity notice on my account, and he forgot to bring my glass of wine. Other than that, though, the service was generally good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!LeemoralesDined on 12/31/2013Peter & staff are always so welcoming & courteous! My husband & I love the place! The food is amazing (veal chops are my husband's favorite) & the drinks are full glass & top shelf...we are never disappointed! Highly recommend for a good meal, great service & friendly environment. Also love the Expresso Martini :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighbourhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013We went New Year's Eve and service was v slow but prob not typical. Service was friendly and food nice rather than great but perhaps NYEVE not typical. Desserts were very disappointing. it is not that hard to make a good dessert at home so restaurants have no excuse.pasta was v nice though.Special Features: