Alegrias Food from Spain
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Alegrias Food from Spain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alegriassf.com/
- Phone: 4159298888
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Closed on Tuesdays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Cesar Faedi Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tables of 7 or more need to call the restaurant in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Any host or reservationist 4159298888
- Special Events: We offer a set menu for large groups. We can accommodate up to 65 people.
A word from Alegrias Food from Spain
Alegrias on Lombard Street offers more than 20 kinds of small plates as well as a short wine list mostly featuring selections from Spain. The restaurant is run by the Faedi Gonzalez family and has homespun warmth. Framed family photographs and Spanish travel posters adorn the walls in the two dining rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Alegrias Food from Spain - Best Restaurants in Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio ›
Alegrias Food from Spain reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (24)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (15)good for groups (14)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Charming and AuthenticMoiraDined on 9/27/2014This is my favorite Tapas restaurant in San Francisco. It is very authentically Spanish and has a wonderful menu! Seriously everything on the menu is delicious - and great for sharing! Can't go wrong :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best TapasslclalaDined on 9/27/2014The food was amazing!! Much better than we had expected and it blew us away. We ordered Bocadillos de Cangrejo (crab cakes), Empanadillas de Carne, Manchego Flambeado (flambe' cheese) and Patatas Alioli (crisp potatoes with alioli) - all of it was incredible! Our two favorites were the cheese flambe' and the alioli potatoes. We also went for dessert even though we were stuffed, because we had such a great experience with all of the other dishes. For dessert we had some dulce de leche crepes... so delicious! This restaurant is definitely one you must visit. It exceeded our expectations on all levels!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemlocaldinerDined on 9/27/2014Service was impeccable, delicious food, many wonderful options on the menu. We dined here on a Saturday evening with friends. We so appreciated that it was quiet enough to converse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Danse13Dined on 9/26/2014This was a great find. The food was superb, the service excellent, and we had a great time. I would definitely come back again on my next visit to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best tapas in SF!!ItalianDined on 9/15/2014If you like tapas. This is a must! you have to try the calamari: is some of the best I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We had an incredible dinner and they were very accommodating to food allergies. I will definitely go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas in the cityPattyCakeDined on 9/12/2014Real friendly place for a night of Spanish tapas. Went here to celebrate my birthday with my family. We got seated immediately, and had a pitcher of sangria on the table within 10 minutes. The tapas options were good, plenty of vegetarian and meat options. Overall the food and service were good. I'll go back for sure.Special Features:
- Great desert menuluvtapasDined on 9/10/2014The food was good, but crepes and bread pudding were the best. The service was excellent! We enjoyed our time there very much.Special Features:
- Great teamOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I had a nice time at Alegrias on a Saturday night. We sat in the back room. It was pretty quiet at first and quite romantic. The food was excellent, especially the seafood Paella. Our waiter was excellent. Only issue was some of the large groups that came in afterwards. For some reason, some of these millennial diners in groups of 6 and 7 thought it cool to shout the "f" word and others repeatedly at the top of their lungs. In time, they'll learn how uncool it is. My advice would be to sit in the front room which is quieter. Otherwise a fun night.
- Amazing placeAm243amDined on 8/30/2014Took my mom there for her birthday dinner along with my wife and kids. It was amazing. Great food, great service, they even brought out a flan for her and I had only mentioned it on open table while making the reservation. The paella was amazing - all the food was great. Thanks to everyone at AlegriaSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!SFKarenDined on 8/23/2014Beautiful ambience! Perfect service! FABULOUS food! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular as alwaysemveeDined on 8/23/2014Been here many times and love the place. Courteous, pay a lot of attention to their guests, great food, excellent ambiance esp in the back. This time we had a few vegetarians in the group. The Veggie Paella is the best I have ever had. One of the owner's family is vegetarian which explains why the vegetarian options are better than what you would get in Spain :)Special Features:
- Excellent for a smal group!SallyVIPDined on 8/20/2014We have been to Alegrias many times and this time with a business group of 9 they offered a group menu for Tapas which couldn't have been better. wonderful food and service. We felt special and personally attended to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2014Best Spanish food in SF, bar none. The paella is the best I have had anywhere, Spain included.Special Features:
- Alegrias TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014I found Alegrias on Open Table when doing a search for a tapas restaurant, looking also at reviews on Yelp it seemed like a good choice. The ambiance is nice and the service albeit friendly a little disorganized. The food: Very mediocre I would say, we had the Assorted cured Spanish style sausages, which were a couple of very small slices of 3 varieties, no other condiments for $9??? Ouch. The bread was stale. The Empanadillas de Carne (we opted to go for the tuna special) were ok. The Patatas Alioli were pretty good. The Gambas al Ajillo were very disappointing, tasted like Costco shrimp soaked in garlic. The stand out dish for us was an eggplant appetizer concoction, but would have even been better if served at room temperature.
- almost good paellaBakingBreakfastDined on 8/16/2014Disappointed: spice good, nice crunchy rice bottom, as it should be. however, skimpy on seafood, meat, poultry. All way overdone. service not attentive.
- You should eat here!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/1/2014Amazing food, friendly service and reasonable prices make for a winning combination. The paella was a standout but honestly everything we trued was good.Special Features:
- Nothing to look at but the food!!finnfinnVIPDined on 7/24/2014This place is a little run down in its decor and you can tell when you walk in that it's been that way for awhile... but don't let that fool you. Their tapas are incredible. They have AMAZING dishes so choose a variety of them and you'll enjoy them all. Not joking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MollyMollyDined on 7/24/2014Our go to favorite for a quiet, wonderful meal. A true neighborhood gem. Great for just the two of us, for out of town visitors/family, or a party of many, Alegrias serves all our our needs. Excellent, well thought out menu, wonderful wine list, an a staff that welcomes you home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining!capercatsDined on 7/4/2014The service was outstanding and personal. The food was excellent: best flan and espresso ever!. A perfect spot for a romantic birthday dinner.Special Features:
- The following 439 reviews are from the Alegrias Food from Spain reviews archive.
- An enjoyable experienceLovegoodflavor2Dined on 5/25/2014Sangria, seafood paella and tapas, cheese platter and olives from Spain. Very nice experience; would go back when I'm in the mood for this type of food again. The tapas with the dipping sauces were the real stand outs of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryMomVIPDined on 5/25/2014Love this place. Consistently great food and service.Special Features:
- Great FoodDinningVIPDined on 5/24/2014We had a great dinner. The food and sangria were great and we enjoyed the ambiance as well.Special Features:
- I wanted to love Alegrias...figueroa579Dined on 5/23/2014It was very middling, unfortunately. Many items we ordered were picked at only long enough to determine we didn't like them. :( The tripe was good and jamon Serrano. The service was really friendly and attentive and the restaurant itself was very pretty.Special Features:
- Just Great Food!2thrutheezeyezDined on 5/23/2014We happened onto this little Gem and are so thankful we did! The staff are friendly, attentive and helpful with the menu since Tapas are not your usual restaurant food. The Lamb is not on the menu, but our waiter suggested it to us and we were astounded at how great it was!! If you have never tasted lamb, have it here first! The cheese plate pair wonderfully with anything you order and be sure to get the olives and Black Leg Ham to go with it! Outstanding!Special Features:
- Nothing specialwinerdinerDined on 5/16/2014My husband and I were hoping to have found a new paella place in SF. Unfortunately, Alegria's is not that place. There was nothing notable about our dining experience here. Very mediocre paella. No cocktails, just wine and beer, and on the night we went, no sparkling wine, they were out of stock.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceZacharyVIPDined on 5/14/2014Great place to go for good food, great service, Paella s, Tapas and more. Attracts a lot of customers. highly recommended - lots of tables but still plenty of room.Special Features:
- Soooo Good!!!!!!!!EBL8Dined on 5/4/2014Our first time to eat at Alegria. And we will go back. Love the personal extremely nice and patient The food was delicious. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestRayMDined on 5/2/2014On vacations, we often go tapas to break the big dinner pattern. The choices here were limited, especially for non meat eaters and we were not impressed with the presentation or preparation. Limited wine choices as well.
- Awesome authentic Spanish foodsmitchDined on 5/1/2014Reminded me of my time in Spain - both the food and ambience. Very delicious, quiet, and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just incredible!Hate2CookDined on 4/27/2014We've been going to this restaurant for years, but it had been quite awhile. We prefer to come with a group so that we can order lots of dishes and taste everything. That's what we did with our recent visit, and it was incredibly satisfying. Every dish was heavenly—not a single disappointment in the lot. And each was quite different. All of us were sighing in contentment or exclaiming over dishes. The fried calamari is out of this world. No one does it nearly as well. The sangria is also a stand-out, and that helped make for a very happy evening, full of laughter. The servers were great, too--helpful and professional but also fun to interact with. I can't recommend this place enough.Special Features:
- Nice eveningDickVIPDined on 4/26/2014This is a nice restaurant to have a different kind of dinner if you like sharing. The tapas are interesting and the flavors are very nice.
- First time trying tapasKarenDined on 4/26/2014Two of us arrived at 6:15 on a Saturday evening were seated immediately. The atmosphere was lively but quiet enough for two people to have a conversation. The waiters were quick and attentive. We had the seafood paella and ordered 3 tapas. We didn't mind the 30 minute wait for the paella, which was very good, with the sticky crunchy bits struck on the pan. There was plenty of seafood. The spinach tapas with apples and pine nuts were very tasty. The tripe was tasty too but was just warm in the center of each piece. The mushrooms were good but I'm not sure I would order it again. We are light eaters so that was plenty of food. I would come again to try more items on the menu.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceAmazingSangriaDined on 4/16/2014Alegrias was a good romantic spot. Cossie and quiet with great service. It wasn't quick but the wait staff was very diligent. The food was good, not great, but no complaints. The sangria was great, the best part of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tigre415Dined on 4/13/2014great paella. i enjoyed the spanish wines to accompany them as well. yeah!!!!Special Features:
- Feels like SpainlubagdmealDined on 4/4/2014The food and ambiance reminds me of a spot I dined in Barcelona and the paella takes me right back to that evening. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!SherryFromSFDined on 3/23/2014Another great option when craving Spanish tapas. Prices were reasonable, and the food was excellent! We started with the flaming manchego cheese, which both looked and tasted awesome. Gambas al ajillo were great, too. The spinach a la Catalana was delicious, with tiny apple cubes included. Everything we ordered, we loved. We ordered Asparagus a la Parilla at the end, and loved it's smoky taste. The restaurant was beautiful inside with lights all around, and lots of Spanish art. Service was excellent, as was the wine our friends ordered for the table. We would definitely come here again, and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance!millahootsDined on 3/17/2014This is the way I remember tapas! When you want one you order it. You eat and drink and order more wine or tapas as you want them. The food and service were excellent. Tapas are a great way to go out in a group and keep the energy going while you eat and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tapas in SFElenaDined on 3/14/2014Excellent Spanish food. Excellent service. Excellent ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy spot in unlikely locationPoissonDined on 2/22/2014We were wary of the location on a busy uninspiring stretch of Lombard Street, but were very pleased once we got inside. Cozy, unpretentious atmosphere and outstanding service. The food (seafood paella, bacalao, sauteed spinach with raisins and pine nuts) was prepared with excellent spicing and attention to detail. The orange-infused creme catalan (basically creme brulee) was especially memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.