Alegrias Food from Spain
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Alegrias Food from Spain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alegriassf.com/
- Phone: 4159298888
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Closed on Tuesdays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Cesar Faedi Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tables of 7 or more need to call the restaurant in advance.
- Private Party Contact: Any host or reservationist 4159298888
- Special Events: We offer a set menu for large groups. We can accommodate up to 65 people.
A word from Alegrias Food from Spain
Alegrias on Lombard Street offers more than 20 kinds of small plates as well as a short wine list mostly featuring selections from Spain. The restaurant is run by the Faedi Gonzalez family and has homespun warmth. Framed family photographs and Spanish travel posters adorn the walls in the two dining rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Alegrias Food from Spain - Best Restaurants in Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio ›
Alegrias Food from Spain reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)romantic (28)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (14)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2014Best Spanish food in SF, bar none. The paella is the best I have had anywhere, Spain included.Special Features:
- Alegrias TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2014I found Alegrias on Open Table when doing a search for a tapas restaurant, looking also at reviews on Yelp it seemed like a good choice. The ambiance is nice and the service albeit friendly a little disorganized. The food: Very mediocre I would say, we had the Assorted cured Spanish style sausages, which were a couple of very small slices of 3 varieties, no other condiments for $9??? Ouch. The bread was stale. The Empanadillas de Carne (we opted to go for the tuna special) were ok. The Patatas Alioli were pretty good. The Gambas al Ajillo were very disappointing, tasted like Costco shrimp soaked in garlic. The stand out dish for us was an eggplant appetizer concoction, but would have even been better if served at room temperature.
- almost good paellaBakingBreakfastDined on 8/16/2014Disappointed: spice good, nice crunchy rice bottom, as it should be. however, skimpy on seafood, meat, poultry. All way overdone. service not attentive.
- You should eat here!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/1/2014Amazing food, friendly service and reasonable prices make for a winning combination. The paella was a standout but honestly everything we trued was good.Special Features:
- Nothing to look at but the food!!finnfinnVIPDined on 7/24/2014This place is a little run down in its decor and you can tell when you walk in that it's been that way for awhile... but don't let that fool you. Their tapas are incredible. They have AMAZING dishes so choose a variety of them and you'll enjoy them all. Not joking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MollyMollyDined on 7/24/2014Our go to favorite for a quiet, wonderful meal. A true neighborhood gem. Great for just the two of us, for out of town visitors/family, or a party of many, Alegrias serves all our our needs. Excellent, well thought out menu, wonderful wine list, an a staff that welcomes you home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining!capercatsDined on 7/4/2014The service was outstanding and personal. The food was excellent: best flan and espresso ever!. A perfect spot for a romantic birthday dinner.Special Features:
- An enjoyable experienceLovegoodflavor2Dined on 5/25/2014Sangria, seafood paella and tapas, cheese platter and olives from Spain. Very nice experience; would go back when I'm in the mood for this type of food again. The tapas with the dipping sauces were the real stand outs of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryMomVIPDined on 5/25/2014Love this place. Consistently great food and service.Special Features:
- Great FoodDinningVIPDined on 5/24/2014We had a great dinner. The food and sangria were great and we enjoyed the ambiance as well.Special Features:
- I wanted to love Alegrias...figueroa579Dined on 5/23/2014It was very middling, unfortunately. Many items we ordered were picked at only long enough to determine we didn't like them. :( The tripe was good and jamon Serrano. The service was really friendly and attentive and the restaurant itself was very pretty.Special Features:
- Just Great Food!2thrutheezeyezDined on 5/23/2014We happened onto this little Gem and are so thankful we did! The staff are friendly, attentive and helpful with the menu since Tapas are not your usual restaurant food. The Lamb is not on the menu, but our waiter suggested it to us and we were astounded at how great it was!! If you have never tasted lamb, have it here first! The cheese plate pair wonderfully with anything you order and be sure to get the olives and Black Leg Ham to go with it! Outstanding!Special Features:
- Nothing specialwinerdinerDined on 5/16/2014My husband and I were hoping to have found a new paella place in SF. Unfortunately, Alegria's is not that place. There was nothing notable about our dining experience here. Very mediocre paella. No cocktails, just wine and beer, and on the night we went, no sparkling wine, they were out of stock.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceZacharyVIPDined on 5/14/2014Great place to go for good food, great service, Paella s, Tapas and more. Attracts a lot of customers. highly recommended - lots of tables but still plenty of room.Special Features:
- Soooo Good!!!!!!!!EBL8Dined on 5/4/2014Our first time to eat at Alegria. And we will go back. Love the personal extremely nice and patient The food was delicious. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestRayMDined on 5/2/2014On vacations, we often go tapas to break the big dinner pattern. The choices here were limited, especially for non meat eaters and we were not impressed with the presentation or preparation. Limited wine choices as well.
- Awesome authentic Spanish foodsmitchDined on 5/1/2014Reminded me of my time in Spain - both the food and ambience. Very delicious, quiet, and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just incredible!Hate2CookDined on 4/27/2014We've been going to this restaurant for years, but it had been quite awhile. We prefer to come with a group so that we can order lots of dishes and taste everything. That's what we did with our recent visit, and it was incredibly satisfying. Every dish was heavenly—not a single disappointment in the lot. And each was quite different. All of us were sighing in contentment or exclaiming over dishes. The fried calamari is out of this world. No one does it nearly as well. The sangria is also a stand-out, and that helped make for a very happy evening, full of laughter. The servers were great, too--helpful and professional but also fun to interact with. I can't recommend this place enough.Special Features:
- Nice eveningDickVIPDined on 4/26/2014This is a nice restaurant to have a different kind of dinner if you like sharing. The tapas are interesting and the flavors are very nice.
- First time trying tapasKarenDined on 4/26/2014Two of us arrived at 6:15 on a Saturday evening were seated immediately. The atmosphere was lively but quiet enough for two people to have a conversation. The waiters were quick and attentive. We had the seafood paella and ordered 3 tapas. We didn't mind the 30 minute wait for the paella, which was very good, with the sticky crunchy bits struck on the pan. There was plenty of seafood. The spinach tapas with apples and pine nuts were very tasty. The tripe was tasty too but was just warm in the center of each piece. The mushrooms were good but I'm not sure I would order it again. We are light eaters so that was plenty of food. I would come again to try more items on the menu.Special Features:
- The following 426 reviews are from the Alegrias Food from Spain reviews archive.
- Great AmbienceAmazingSangriaDined on 4/16/2014Alegrias was a good romantic spot. Cossie and quiet with great service. It wasn't quick but the wait staff was very diligent. The food was good, not great, but no complaints. The sangria was great, the best part of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tigre415Dined on 4/13/2014great paella. i enjoyed the spanish wines to accompany them as well. yeah!!!!Special Features:
- Feels like SpainlubagdmealDined on 4/4/2014The food and ambiance reminds me of a spot I dined in Barcelona and the paella takes me right back to that evening. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!SherryFromSFDined on 3/23/2014Another great option when craving Spanish tapas. Prices were reasonable, and the food was excellent! We started with the flaming manchego cheese, which both looked and tasted awesome. Gambas al ajillo were great, too. The spinach a la Catalana was delicious, with tiny apple cubes included. Everything we ordered, we loved. We ordered Asparagus a la Parilla at the end, and loved it's smoky taste. The restaurant was beautiful inside with lights all around, and lots of Spanish art. Service was excellent, as was the wine our friends ordered for the table. We would definitely come here again, and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance!millahootsDined on 3/17/2014This is the way I remember tapas! When you want one you order it. You eat and drink and order more wine or tapas as you want them. The food and service were excellent. Tapas are a great way to go out in a group and keep the energy going while you eat and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tapas in SFElenaDined on 3/14/2014Excellent Spanish food. Excellent service. Excellent ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy spot in unlikely locationPoissonDined on 2/22/2014We were wary of the location on a busy uninspiring stretch of Lombard Street, but were very pleased once we got inside. Cozy, unpretentious atmosphere and outstanding service. The food (seafood paella, bacalao, sauteed spinach with raisins and pine nuts) was prepared with excellent spicing and attention to detail. The orange-infused creme catalan (basically creme brulee) was especially memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Journey to EspanaRickTDined on 2/22/2014Love it. Reminds me of the great tapas I had in Spain.Special Features:
- deliciouslucilleDined on 2/15/2014Perfect tapas dinner for valentine's day. Love the decor and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and Wonderful!PaulDined on 2/15/2014This place is always a gem! Cesar always make sure my wife and I have a terrific time. We're never left feeling like anything has been left out of our experience. It's also terrific to see that this place is full on most nights ensuring we will have Alegria's to return to next year for our Valentine's day. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Spanish cuisineMarinaGirlDined on 2/7/2014Alegrias is our go-to restaurant whenever we need a Spanish cuisine fix. We even held a large group dinner to celebrate a family 80th birthday, with many old-school Spaniards in attendance. Cannot praise Alegrias enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceKatkennyDined on 2/5/2014Our first experience at Alegrias was wonderful. It was a rainy night in San Francisco and the restaurant had a cozy ambience. Our waiters suggestions were to go with 3 tapas plates and the paella with seafood, chicken and chorizo. It was just the right amount for us to share and everything was wonderful. Appreciated the quiet atmosphere even with several larger groups nearby. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Delicious tapas and paellaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/1/2014Our food was delicious. The portions reasonable. Our party of four ordered 5 tapas and then shared two paellas and two desserts. The service was good. We got there early (5:30) because we wanted to have a leisurely meal before going to the Magic Theater. When we started, the restaurant was empty. Throughout our meal more and more people came until the restaurant was full. We loved that the noise level was not an issue. Lovely not to shout to be heard or strain to follow a conversation.Special Features:
- AwesomeJunglegharDined on 1/17/2014it's an awesome restaurant.... you need experience to know what I mean... Recommend to go once.... you will fall in luvSpecial Features:
- Great food and great serviceElenaDined on 1/11/2014Great Spanish restaurant, delicious food, and exceptional customer serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasSfdinerVIPDined on 1/4/2014I usually find tapas places in the city to be average, but was pleasantly surprised by Alegrias! I had some of the most delicious tapas I've had outside of Spain there and will definitely be going back. The service is on the slower side, but it's worth the visit if you have some time.Special Features:
- Nice little Tapas restaurantTasteBuddyDined on 12/30/2013Everything was delicious except the sangria could have had some more alcohol. The paella was really tasty especially.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food & wine. GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Very good food & wine. Good service but food came out too fast despite request. Rice pudding desrt perfectSpecial Features:
- Still as good as we rememberedFussyPatDined on 12/11/2013Dined here about four years ago, and went this week with a small group of friends for a good meal at which we could talk to each other (not too easy around here to avoid the competitive shouting of people who drink too much and talk too much). Food was delicious (we're not authorities on Spanish food), service was very professional, and ambience is fine. A pleasant experience, and we'll go back next time we are in SF.Special Features:
- authentic spanishVickiBVIPDined on 12/8/2013if you want delicious paella & tapas head to this low key restaurant. the food is excellent, the service is perfect, and the price is reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.