Alegria Cocina Latina
115 Pine Ave.
Long Beach, CA 90802Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Alegria Cocina Latina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alegriacocinalatina.com/
- Phone: (562) 436-3388
- Hours of Operation:
New Hours While Under Construction: Monday through Thursday: 5:00 pm to 10:00pm Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm to 2:00 am Sunday: 12:30pm to 10:00pm Sorry for the inconvenience!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Walter Cotta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chef Walter Cotta and his kitchen staff is ready to transform your next catered event into a culinary experience! His diverse style of cooking will be the perfect setting for any location of your choice. Chef Cotta specializes in cooking table side for your guest's enjoyment! Our professional catering crew is ready to create any style theme to delight your guest. Ask us about our traditional Alegria buffets! A bountiful of delicious dishes that will have your guest talking about for days! We have over 100 different appetizers and tapas for that one of a kind cocktail mixer!
- Private Party Facilities: Alegria is the perfect place to host a private event! The entire restaurant can accommodate up to 250 guest. Ask us about our special Sunday wedding packages and our Sangria Fountain and our special seafood "wedding cake" ice sculpture cake! A must see! Alegria's menu can be designed just for your groups needs. It will be our pleasure to sit down with you for a personal introduction to all the Alegria Private party services!
- Private Party Contact: Sonia Gomez 5624363388
- Entertainment: The L.A Times wrote "Alegria is the place that brought the Latin Salsa scene to Downtown Long Beach! For fifteen years Alegria has featured the top hottest live music acts in Southern California. Alegria is also the original home of Flamenco! Featuring the talented "Alegria Flamenco troop", not only can you experience authentic rumba Flemenco, our guest get the opportunity to join in and show off their own fancy foot work! Ole! Yearly special events by invite only. Make sure you sign up for "Club Exclusivo", this Alegria VIP club has yearly events that are exclusive for our VIP members
A word from Alegria Cocina Latina
Bienvenidos!Welcome to Alegria Cocina Latina!Let us pour you a glass of our famous homemade Alegria Sangria as we take you on a fascinating tour of "Nouveau Latin" Cuisine. Alegria opened it's colorful doors in April 1994 in downtown Long Beach in a beautiful historical building "The Clock Tower". Alegria, meaning "happiness" in Spanish, was born, soon becoming a destination in Long Beach! Alegria was designed with a rustic flair. Colorful mosaic tiles, old brick walls and beautiful murals set the tone for a fabulous atmosphere, along with an artistic menu! We are proud to feature live entertainment nightly! At our lively bar guests can see every dish coming out of the kitchen. This mouth-watering idea attracts every guest to try at least one bite! Our lively music and old fashion Latin hospitality will bring you back time after time! Chef Walter Cotta was named "Chef Of The Year" 2004 by the Southern California Restaurant Writers We look forward to serving you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Alegria Cocina Latina - Best Restaurants in Long Beach ›
Alegria Cocina Latina reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (14)romantic (12)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (11)special occasion (9)late-night find (8)neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Food was amazing, the folks and service was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014We ended up sitting in the Flamenco Show area. The dancers were amazing and the guy on guitar was awesome, but we wanted to talk more w/o shouting. Only thing we would have done different is made sure we sat in dining area instead of the Flamenco Show area. We were meeting some friends so really wanted to chat and it was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 11/22/2014They were out of a lot of items for an early Saturday reservation. Also, the items that replaced the rojas viega (sp?) beef dish with chicken was very bland, dry and unappealing. The prices were on the high side for the quality of food even with a food voucher for half off.
- Tasteless, Watery Food, Great WaiterRNS1Dined on 11/15/2014Party of 7 on a Saturday night, 3 Paella's that were tasteless and super watery on all 3. Desert was bread pudding and it was bland. The Salmon was very tasty, and one grilled steak was all right, I worked for Marriott for 12 years as a Food n Bev. Dir. and i would never allow food this bland to leave the kitchen with all due respect to the chef he/she needs to taste the food that is made. Told the waiter everything was fine and left 20 % tip on a $200 tab. would never eat there again. Also one must leave there table after 10;30 so they can set up for VIP tables so you are left standing like some peasant. I will be calling the GM to let them know as that is how one improves.Special Features:
- Decent food, good serviceHolis00Dined on 11/14/2014Experience was good. Although my shrimp plate was a little cold upon arrival and tasted a little fishy. The sangria was disappointing. Didn't taste like they let the fruit marinate in the wine long, more like they just pour wine over fruit shortly before serving. There were advertisements there is flamenco dancers fridays starting at 7:30. There were none. Was stopped by a promotor "kid" on the way to restaurant trying to get me to go to that same restaurant I was already going to. Same thing on the way out down the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will not return.Liv2dineDined on 11/9/2014Didn't honor the voucher as it was ambiguous! Been there often and this was my last time n
- Great showJeffDined on 11/8/2014Flamenco dancers/singers are great. Food was good (not outstanding, but just good), small venue for the show. Their sangria is one of the best I've had however! :)Special Features:
- I liked itPhillyCreamDined on 11/1/2014Great food. I had the seafood Paella it was really good. I wish I would have known about the Flamenco show in advanced. Wait staff was cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made reservation; place was closedseniorgourmetDined on 10/21/2014I think the problem may be with Open Table updating its info. Made a lunch reservation for last Tuesday. But when we showed up, the restaurant was closed. Had a sign out front saying sorry for the closure, But even if it was open, it does not serve lunch on Tuesdays. Very disappointing. Never had a chance to try it.
- Disappointing 1st experienceDiznegrlVIPDined on 10/9/2014We went to Alegria on Thursday night looking forward to their menu and margaritas. We were greeted and seated right away which was nice. Once we were seated NO ONE ever came back to check on us at our table. We walked out that evening very disappointed in the service.
- Happy HourJLynDined on 9/26/2014Alegria is a nice place to go to if you want a simple sit-down happy hour, with good food choices and drink choices for the price. It's not necessarily lounge style or blasting with music, but it has a nice atmosphere for just a quick get together with friends. A drink I recommend off of the happy hour menu, the classic MOJITO. :)Special Features:
- Bottomless Sangria & Mimosa's!!dp37Dined on 9/7/2014Went to Alegria's for Sunday brunch to catch up with a girlfriend; was able to make a reservation which was awesome, there was no wait, the waiter was fabulous, the Sangria's and Mimosa's just kept coming and the food was amazing. I was a little skeptical about what I was ordering because I am very picky but it was great!Special Features:
- Excellent!TravelbabeDined on 9/6/2014An excellent dining experience. Great food, great service, entertainment and good value for your dollarSpecial Features:
- it was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014the waitress that helped our table was amazing and made it very convinient for big groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerluv2dineVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had a great dining experience. Our server, Lily, was fantastic. A great night out with incredible food.Special Features:
- Dinner and PartyDeeboDined on 8/30/2014Went here to take my wife out for dinner, drinks, life band and dancing. I knew it was a great place to have a good timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcomed like old friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I felt great to stay and watch the show because the hostess, the bartender and the servers were friendly and made you feel welcomed to be there. There are restaurants that unless you are they regular customer they make you feel like an outside, there I felt like an old friend coming to visit. The food was good but some of the drinks were off the scale in quality and taste. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great night out for friendsLRreviewsDined on 8/16/2014We sat on the patio, the weather was wonderful and so was the people watching. The food and service was excellent our server had wonderful recommendations and did not fail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambienceJeffDined on 8/9/2014We had a great time! Flamenco dancers and gujitarist were great! :) food was great and so was the service. Will come again!Special Features:
- place is nice.justmeDined on 8/2/2014Drinks the mojito has a lit of mint, to much I think. The gaucho was excellent, the tamal from Chile is amazing, but the Paella was just fine, I went to this place for the Parlla, but I was expecting something better, prices are ok.Special Features:
- The following 282 reviews are from the Alegria Cocina Latina reviews archive.
- Excellent service and food!!foodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014Our server Hilario was GREAT! Very friendly and prompt on getting us our drinks and food . The food was Amazing !! We had a blast !Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014Came here because i got a living Social. The food was very good, got a steak skirt. Bottomless Mimosas or Sangria. The Sangria was ok not great. Our waiter was great, attentive and made the ambiance great.Special Features:
- Great Show!HeriDined on 7/26/2014Wonderful show, food was great! The patio was a bit uncomfortable , too hot . there didn't seem to be any cooling . Even a fan would have helped. Too warm out there.Special Features:
- Not good on most days.JosephSDined on 7/24/2014Service is terrible. Food is never the same flavor.Special Features:
- Great food!!latinfoodieDined on 7/24/2014I had a great time having lunch here! Great food! The only problem was the flies. Because it was very open (with open doors that connects the front patio and inside seating), the 90 degree weather during the day attracted the flies. But I am sure the atmosphere is amazing at nigh. There was great music playing and, did I mention the food? Overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- Enjoyable New FindMikeDDined on 7/19/2014Checked out this place for the dineLA Restaurant Week. Had dinner on a Saturday night. Good service and great food. I enjoyed the flight of 3 different sangrias and my paella was hot and full of flavor. I may have misunderstood the description on the website though. Friday and Saturday flamenco shows. Thought we could watch the show after dinner, but it was in another curtained off area with restricted admission.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Food needs alot of work.. I had the ropa vieja plate and was dissapointed because I know what its supossed to taste like. First texture was wrong way to mushy and needed more garlic. Rice and black beans were very plain needed more spices maybe some cumin or something and the platino needed to be a tad softer and sweeter... Adding some butter and sugar
- Disappointing, do not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/17/2014I was with a party of 6 when we came in for a late dinner on a Thursday. Unfortunately, the service was abysmal. - At 10pm, very loud hip hop music started playing. Asked if the music could be turned down, and were informed that after 10pm the restaurant becomes a nightclub. Our waiter offered to move us outside. We agreed, but were never reseated. - Asked if an order of calamari could be split: half fried, half sauteed. Waiter said he would check with the chef. Never heard back but received and were charged for 2 full orders. - Requested separate checks and were told that the check could only be split 3 ways because waiter didn't want to run too many credit cards (only one paid by card). - 20% mandatory tip added without notification.
- always...AllanVIPDined on 7/12/2014i go to long beach, ca., every year for a convention and i always come to this restaurant. it is the best spanish tapas restaurant i have eaten at in the USSpecial Features:
- greatflowerDined on 7/11/2014Food excellent, ambiance awsome..a must for a great date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014I had the worse seafood paella I have ever eaten. I was not seasoned at all, totally bland. Drinks were not good either. We won't be coming back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/11/2014great sangria service was very good and the show was very entertainingSpecial Features:
- BrunchJenniferDined on 7/6/2014We redeemed our vocher from livingsocial for brunch for Sunday. The deal included unlimited mimosas or sangria. We came here around 1:30pm, made it before their brunch was over. We choose to sit outside, so it was a bit warm BUT it was had the shade. We ordered our food, which came to us pretty quick. Got the salmon dish and boyfriend got the steak. The steak was cooked medium rare, very well done on it. As for the salmon fish, it was a bit dry. Our drinks kept flowing and we had no complains on that. Overall, the food was okay.Special Features:
- disappointedocdinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014mediocre food and spotty service. we were told on open table that the flamenco show would be in the bar at 7:30 and we made a reservation for dinner at 6. the restaurant called us at 5:30 to say they would not seat us until 7. OK. we went for appetizers and wine before and then were told during dinner that there was an 'accident' and there would be no show. disappointing.Special Features:
- Slow, slow, slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/19/2014It took 2+ hours for us to be seated, order our food, eat our food, get our bill and pay our bill. Not because we were in no hurry, but because it was slow, slow slow. There were plenty of open tables so being packed wasn't an issue. We had 6:30 reservations thinking that would provide plenty of time for us to get to our 8 pm show, but nope, we didn't get out of the restaurant until after 8:40. The manager did apologize and gave us a round of drinks and deserts on the house, which we gladly accepted since we had missed our show.
- Great foodLatina73Dined on 6/14/2014The food and service is great. Out server was very busy but always made sure we were doing ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014The food could have been hotter but all in all quite tasty...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocina AlegriaAlexDined on 5/17/2014It's a great restaurant for people that love eating different food. Between my appetizer, entree, and dessert I ate food from three different Latin countries. Definitely recommend it, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with customersDan1VanDined on 4/25/2014Thank you for a great evening, we enjoyed the food and everyone had a great time!Special Features:
- GOOD times!!!immortal4lbDined on 4/25/2014I can not rave about this place enough. The food is superb! The ambience rocks! Can not say much about night life or bar scene but it seems like they would fun and exciting especially the live bands.Special Features:
- LindaLuVIPDined on 4/18/2014been theresince the 90s.This time,service was NOT good.Young servers who don't know etiquette.I reserved in advance &called.we arrived to be told 5min. then 15min then 30 min!When we sat, ordered with the "hip" server.great.but.after food arrived: he was NO WHERE in site! needed water! Paella was mushy and not with the broiled Crunchiness.Then, the waiters kept squeezing in between me and the other table party. TACKY.really got upset when the HOT Coffee pitcher was over my head. I moved again &they STILL asked me 2push aside.MIND YOU. there was the OTHER entry just other side of table.POOR service/choice.When we ordered dessert & coffee, husband spec asked for coffee WITH The dessert. 15min later the dessert came (coffee now Cold).Special Features: