1011 West 36th Street
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alchemyon36.com/
- Phone: (410) 366-1163
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Matassa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Alchemy specializes in assisting our corporate, social, wedding and special event clients in creating a unique culinary experience.
- Special Events: Call us at 410-366-1163 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule special events.
- Cross Street: Roland Avenue
- Public Transit: MTA Bus # 27 (36th Street)
MTA Bus # 22 (40th Street)
MTA Bus #98 (Hampden Shuttle- 36th Street)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet service for our guests. There is also street parking available in the area. Please allow enough time to find parking before your scheduled reservation.
A word from Alchemy
Alchemy is already a success for Michael and Debi Matassa, who owned the popular Fusion Grille in Fallston. While Michael is the executive chef, Debi is the sommelier and pastry chef. Alchemy's setting is polished and sophisticated but comfortable and welcoming. The menu offers various twists to traditional dishes and other creative fare. The restaurant is also serving Sunday brunch... the only champagne brunch on The Avenue. - Baltimore MagazineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Alchemy - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
Alchemy reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (129)neighborhood gem (117)special occasion (75)romantic (42)great for lunch (36)hot spot (29)great for brunch (26)good for groups (21)notable wine list (21)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Food is awesome, ambience needs more!!TerribleDined on 11/22/2014Love the food at this place but the ambience needs to be more engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over all dissapointedJGKGDined on 11/21/2014floor rattled all though dinner I at first thought it was my husband shaking his leg under the table! Ordered the fish without the ham waiter suggested , when i told him I do not eat red meat. Got fish with ham with this was discovered halfway through the meal. Nothing but an I'm sorry my fault from the waiter.? Loved the chest app with crusting!! wine , beer ok chocolate dessert fine. Over all just Ok
- One of the BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I was truly blown away by everything I ate here! Specifically, the Caramelized Avocado Salad and the Braised Beef Cheeks. The cocktails are also fantastic! This is a great place for a special occasion not because its a super fancy restaurant but because the food is so wonderful, it just fits that it would be a special dinner! The service was wonderful as well and I overall very much enjoyed every part of my meal. I will certainly be going back to explore their menu more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BashExercisetoeatVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had a birthday celebration dinner for 7 people and a 16 month old. The service was terrific, the food beautifully printed, interesting and delicious, the ambience pleasant and positive and the evening was perfect. Bravo!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTonyaVIPDined on 11/14/2014Another great meal at Alchemy. This is why I continue to come back over and over again. I had the mussels and the red snapper. Could not stop myself from eating every last morsel. Cooked perfectly. Friends both had the crab cake entrée. Both raved about how good they were. Our server Bryan was super nice and attentive and the bartender (can't remember his name) made fabulous drinks. Enjoyed my cucumber basil martini. Will be back real soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hampden gemdontpanicDined on 11/12/2014Fantastic food - I had the red snapper, she had the crab cakes. Service was just the right amount of attentive. I was on a date, and Kyle gave us enough attention to get the job done well while still giving us space to have a conversation. Atmosphere was quiet but not subdued, great for conversation, and well decorated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchFoodHunter4Dined on 11/9/2014This is a favorite Sunday brunch spot that never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+PFFurnessDined on 11/8/2014If you've been to Alchemy, you already know. If you haven't, just go. Wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cut AboveMaurDined on 11/8/2014The service and food were excellent. We had a group of seven and the waiter was very patient. It was an early Lunch, the restaurant had just opened for the day. We asked to have the music turned down, mainly because we are all hard of hearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuBabaVIPDined on 11/7/2014Lots of interesting choices, and the finished product was even more delicious than the menu promised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our most affordable place.JeKrVIPDined on 11/7/2014We repeatedly go to Alchemy for special occasions, to take out of town guests, eat with friends who enjoy really good food, and as a source of gift certificates for special people. We have never had a bad meal there, and have had some over the top amazing ones. For vegetarians there is an exceptional stuffed squash, very flavorful with multiple ingredients, and for others, there is a usual menu and then their specialties, with more choices in all categories than in most restaurants. We find this restaurant affordable, no gouging, and extremely friendly, with fun and attentive wait staff, but not of the hovering sort. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best brunchfreddieDined on 11/2/2014Sunday brunch is wonderful. great food and wait staff.Special Features:
- Over time is unevenMaddogVIPDined on 11/1/2014We've dined here on several occasions and each one has been a different experience. This recent visit we had great service but the food was uneven. The upstairs dining room is a lovely calming space. They prepared creative, handmade cocktails with expertise. We will be back but I'll be "playing it safe" when I choose my dishes.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerbetzDined on 10/31/2014Plenty of interesting options on the menu. We shared a beet salad, brussel sprouts cooked with bacon and cream and a tender pork chop beautifully served with bread pudding and vegetables. A balsamic vinaigrette was drizzled over the beets though not on the lettuce which could have used some. It was a delicious, satisfying dinner. We top it off with a scoop of salted caramel ice cream. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How are we so fortunate?DonhDined on 10/25/2014Another terrific meal, another terrific restaurant option in the neighborhood. Great food, service, and environment for a couple's Saturday night out. Excellent cocktail and wine options. All food orders were generous in portions and prepared flawlessly.Special Features:
- Excellent MealMichaelVIPDined on 10/24/2014This was my first time at Alchemy. The pork carnitas appetizer was delicious. I had steak for the entree which was great. And the brownie dessert was incredible. Our server was very attentive but let us sit uninterrupted as my dining partner and I were catching-up. I will definitely go back to Almchemy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Service was great. Food was good! A nice night out with my husband on my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in BaltimoreFrancineDined on 10/21/2014This is our go to restaurant when we want fine dining in a cool neighborhood. Best ever Cream of Crab soup. Can't miss menu. Wine list is well chosen. The 3-course menus on Tuesday are so reasonably priced! A special restaurant for any occasion including special occasions. We've never been disappointed. Ever! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- ScrumptilliumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Had a great time at Alchemy. The fixed price Tuesday night dinner was a great and affordable way to sample a fantastic menu. Delicious pumpkin soup, ancho chili rubbed chicken served with a black bean sweet corn salsa on polenta, and a delicious mini Apple pie. Our waitress did an excellent job and seemed to be serving all the tables. It was a nice place to take my parents for a special night out, they enjoyed their meal and we could hear each other's conversation. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some interesting itemsBrocDined on 10/21/2014The night we were there the restaurant offered an interesting appetizer and main course based on rabbit. The appetizer was a beautifully presented minuscule rack of rabbit together with a rabbit tight and foreleg. This had good seasonal vegetable accompaniments as did the entree which was a lovely leg of rabbit nestled in well executed mashed potatoes. We weren't thrilled with the fish entree that evening as it was somewhat prosaic. Service was excellent as provided by the waitress ("Sami)Special Features:
- Love Alchemy!foodieforfunDined on 10/18/2014Love, love, love Alchemy! I have been several times for dinner and each occasion has been excellent. It is fun to take family and friends who always declare Alchemy to be their new favorite restaurant when we leave. We were there last Sat. evening. Two of us had the special - Pork Tenderloin with pumpkin risotto and baby glazed carrots - all were awesome. Two others had the generous Baby Lamb Chops which are always amazing.. The service is always attentive and friendly. Cannot say enough good things about Alchemy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was exceptional and the wine had lovely choices that don't break the bankSpecial Features:
- Comfortable and pleasantsailorVIPDined on 10/15/2014We enjoyed our meal. Very good appetizers. Friendly service. Good quality food , well prepared. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightLamdinneroutDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went to Alchemy for the first time this past weekend. Our server was very nice, informative, and friendly. We ordered an app, salad, entree, side dish, and dessert all of which we shared. Everything was wonderful! Our favorite was the brussel sprouts. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- PriceIsRightDined on 10/10/2014While the food and service were excellent, the background music was not. We have been there several times now, and can't say I have always liked their choice in background music.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014The food and service were outstanding!!! A little noisy for my taste--0thers might say "energetic". The $30 Thursday was a spectacular deal!!!Special Features:
- finally made itbmorefuneatsDined on 10/8/2014after too long on our list of restaurants to try, we finally made it to Alchemy on a recent wednesday for an anniversary celebration. The food and atmosphere were both great- delicious seasonal vegetables, salmon and pork, all complemented with perfect seasonings. the portions were more than we expected and found a nice wine to complement the meal. I would certainly recommend this restaurant and will come back soon.Special Features:
- Creative twist on brunchLocavoreVIPDined on 10/5/2014Alchemy took standard brunch fare like Eggs Benedict and came up with creative variations like Baltimore Benedict with crab meat or the Crepe Benedict. Very generous portions, reasonably priced. Delicious salads. Great cocktails. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Lose The Cream SauceBAWESQ75Dined on 10/3/2014The meal was very good. However, the sauce on the brussels sprouts with bacon was off-putting and added nothing to the dish. The red snapper was not enhanced by the mashed potatoes, either polenta or jasmine rice would make more palatable accompaniments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!KateDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant was amazing. The food was fantastic and the environment was so welcoming.Special Features:
- Alchemy made a special day GREAT!KED83VIPDined on 9/26/2014I love the food and service at ALCHEMY. It was my first visit to Baltimore in two+ years and Alchemy was on my list of things to do. I took a family member for a birthday meal. WOW!! What amazing service and special attention to the Birthday girl!! Not just a piece of old dessert with a candle. Next time you have ANY special occasion, go to ALCHEMY. You absolutely will not be disappointed!! Crab bisque is a MUST!!!Special Features:
- Excellent birthday dinner!JazzmineDined on 9/23/2014Food is absolutely fabulous and drinks are clearly made with care. Blackened catfish hit the spot and the gnocchi was delectable. GET THE BRUSSEL SPROUTS- we couldn't stop eating these! Came for a 30th birthday celebration; staff not only acknowledged the birthday, but did the classiest thing we'd even seen- my partner, whom is not a sweets person, received a glass of champagne with a lit birthday candle fused onto the side. Exactly what he "wanted" and I was pleasantly surprised! Adam is an excellent waiter and took very good care of us; we would definitely return and plan on doing so soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleChrisDined on 9/20/2014Overall terrible experience. Seated quickly with cold air blowing on our feet from under the booth. Waited over 20 minutes for our drinks and 30 minutes for bread. I tried to be understanding that Hamdenfest had just finished , but half the tables were empty. Crab dip appetizer was almost all cream cheese with almost no crab (unacceptable for anyplace in Baltimore). The first drink was almost pure liquor with little mixer, fun if your out at bar getting hammered but not for a nice dinner out with your wife/husband. The shrimp and grits were very good, the only shining star of our experience...decided after the crab dip to cut our losses and not chance further disappointment.
- jackhDined on 9/19/2014Nice sized portions of excellently prepared foods. We felt fully satisfied, not overstuffed, and found all the flavorings delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alchemy works!ChefRibiDined on 9/18/2014It was not our first visit but this time was special. We enjoyed a wonderful evening for a good cause. Alchemy donated part of their proceeds to The Moveable Feast organisation.Our dishes were a feast . The smoked trout and salmon, as appetizer were delicately flavored with dabs of creamy dressings. The lamb chops were succulent and pinkie ,the way I like them. The pork and pork dish was a full plate of meat which my adult son enjoyed very much. No room for dessert BUT THAT 'S THE WAY WE LIKE IT !!another great evening. Thank you1Special Features:
- Delicious & well presenteddiner7Dined on 9/17/2014We were pleasantly surprised by high-foodie imagination and presentation at Alchemy, with reasonable pricing and a great small restaurant atmosphere. Will go back.Special Features:
- Cool little spotDestinymacysDined on 9/14/2014The food is heavily under seasoned and the wait for the food is extremely long but overall an enjoyable spot. Friendly staff and delicious Lemon sorbet!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodVMMDDined on 9/13/2014Everybody totally enjoyed their selections, energetic noise levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatieDined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent and seasonal. The service was very good.Special Features:
- Great Hampden RestaurantDreamInOrangeDined on 9/11/2014Alchemy may not always get the same level of press as some of the other newer Hampden eateries but it definitely serves as good of food if not better than many on the Avenue. Terrific modern American food that is always prepared perfect with inventive combinations. Always a pleasure to make it back to Alchemy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.