1011 West 36th Street
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alchemyon36.com/
- Phone: 4103661163x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Matassa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Alchemy specializes in assisting our corporate, social, wedding and special event clients in creating a unique culinary experience.
- Special Events: Call us at 410-366-1163 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule special events.
- Cross Street: Roland Avenue
- Public Transit: MTA Bus # 27 (36th Street)
MTA Bus # 22 (40th Street)
MTA Bus #98 (Hampden Shuttle- 36th Street)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet service for our guests. There is also street parking available in the area. Please allow enough time to find parking before your scheduled reservation.
A word from Alchemy
Alchemy is already a success for Michael and Debi Matassa, who owned the popular Fusion Grille in Fallston. While Michael is the executive chef, Debi is the sommelier and pastry chef. Alchemy's setting is polished and sophisticated but comfortable and welcoming. The menu offers various twists to traditional dishes and other creative fare. The restaurant is also serving Sunday brunch... the only champagne brunch on The Avenue. - Baltimore MagazineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Alchemy - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
Alchemy reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (101)special occasion (52)great for lunch (34)great for brunch (30)romantic (25)hot spot (16)good for groups (14)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I visited Alchemy for the first time on Saturday with a friend for lunch and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and taste of a simple sandwich, I had the braised rib and grilled cheese sandwich. Our server Tommy was great too, very personable and helpful. I loved it so much I decided to take my family to brunch the following day! We were a party of 5 and we all enjoyed our food. The Sweet Potato pancakes were divine as were the breakfast potatoes. I'm curious as to their dinner so I will be visiting for dinner soon also. A Baltimore gem and overall great place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014All in all a very nice surprise this being my second restaurant that I have tried with a friend who lives a few blocks from the avenue. Our seating may not have been the best - the last table from the kitchen and God knows what else lay beyond. The service was friendly and relaxing but he presumed that after having been seated we were ready to order cocktails and wine and apetizers and dinner. Memo to staff: work with us as we build in to our dinning experience don't drag us American-style from A to Z in two minutes. Our appetizers were very tasty and interesting. Main course was chicken in a curried environment and porc tenderloin medallions for moi. Paired with a nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc things were delicious. I would return no question!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with limited funJamesVIPDined on 8/29/2014This place wins because of the food. The chef owner couple is inventive, and I really enjoyed watching what their imagination would bring to the table next. Expect a lot of creative plays on classic high end dining favorites. My one hang up is that the atmosphere is a bit too much like a casual restaurant you might find in Canton for the high end menu and service on offer. Some might see it as informal and unpretentious but for me it was a bit too much of a stylistic contrast. I would definitely go back but the Hamden restaurant scene is a competitive one for restaurant with limited (but by no means terrible) atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanceDined on 8/28/2014Food and service were outstanding. We loved every bite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $30 ThursdayannaDined on 8/28/2014The Hendricks gin martini with muddled basil is wonderful. The $30 Thursday meal is a deal.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We ended up coming to Alchemy after our usual move in weekend place was booked. What a find! The food was fabulous, loved the avocado salad and the crab bisque. The desserts were mouth watering. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieDined on 8/20/2014This was a business dinner and the staff seated us appropriately. the crab cakes were excellent, and we were able to speak openly without interruption. I will be back.Special Features:
- Outstanding dinnerMikeDined on 8/16/2014Atmosphere was comfortable, we were able to hold a conversation without any problems,the service was good; and the food was outstanding! The best crab cakes ( a surprise), outstanding lamb chops- best I have ever had! Limited menu; but delicious! Nice drinks Highly recommend this small gem in Hampden.Special Features:
- Below ExpectationsPaulVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our party of three dined at Alchemy on a Saturday night. We were seated downstairs and found the table to be cramped. Our waiter was too casual and didn't came back to check on us after our entrees were served until we were done (cardinal sin in the restaurant biz). The cream of crab soup was excellent with the right balance of cream and sherry. The beets in the beet salad may have been fresh but had the same taste/texture as those from a can. The stuffed acorn squash was excellent. The Tournedos Crab a Rooney was just 'ok' while the accompanying garlic smash was like paste. I detected no coconut or curry in the Coconut Curry Glazed Salmon. As such, the fish was quite bland and a major disappointment. On the fence about a return engagement.
- Great food:great priceBreezyWeezy1Dined on 8/12/2014You can have the great restaurant week food and price every week at Alchemy with their Tuesday and Thursday 3 course specials for $25 and $30 with a drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014I happened to visit on a Tuesday evening (my first time!), and I was pleasantly surprised by special -- 3 courses for $30 -- and how absolutely delicious everything was. The star of the evening, however, was the beef cheeks. Yup...beef cheeks. They were magnificent. I am absolutely looking forward to visiting again soon!Special Features:
- Great food, Awful servicekathelizzykDined on 8/10/2014The food was fantastic, however the service was frustrating to say the least. We were seated next to both the server station and hostess station, yet spent most of our meal with finished plates stacked at the end of the table and empty water glasses. We waited about fifteen minutes for water or bread upon being seated, but then were only given five minutes between appetizers and entrees and wound up with multiple plates at once. To top it all off, and automatic gratuity of 20% was added to the check for two people without an explanation (we were later told it was because it was restaurant week). The food was truly impressive, but it's hard to enjoy when the experience itself is sub par.
- Fabulous!NicsterDined on 8/10/2014Great dining experience, the food is fabulous. Artfully prepared and the service is exceptional.Special Features:
- bellezzaDined on 8/9/2014Food was great! The soup was a little too warm for my liking but the flavor was good. The drinks were delicious and service was good...they did not come over to the table too often but at the right times instead. Overall I would recommend!Special Features:
- Excellent service and food!JazzmineDined on 8/9/2014Came here to take advantage of the Restaurant Week menu- so glad that we did! Always have enjoyed Alchemy and glad to see they're still in top shape. Will definitely come again. Can get quite nosy downstairs, so be prepared; may not be the most romantic encounter. Noise level is less upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie Find in HampdenDarranDMVDined on 8/9/2014My hubby and I wanted to a casual place with elegant food to celebrate our promotions - Alchemy fit the bill. It was the last day of Restaurant Week, but we decided to go from their main menu. We had the carnitas flatbread and picadilla stuffed sweet potatoes to start. Both were incredible but I really loved the savory/sweet of the sweet potato. It's great for sharing, as it's a whole potato. For our main course we had the chile rubbed pork loin and angel fire chicken. The loin was cooked to perfection and both dishes had a nice kick of ancho chile. I ordered a side of Brussels sprouts. I would have preferred less cream sauce as it got very heavy and salty at the bottom of the dish. Our server was incredible - attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerBabetteDined on 8/8/2014All was wonderful.........food and service. The only negative was the noise level. It was difficult to hear the hostess and waitress tell us about the specials and answer questions about the menu. It was restaurant week and very busy but no problem.........we'll be back.Special Features:
- Alchemy DeliversJsubmanVIPDined on 8/8/2014First visit to this Hamden area restaurant. We brought friends from out of town and we all had a great experience. Original creations cooked perfectly. Service was a bit rushed but friendly and efficient. Can't wait to return. Note: parking in the Hamden area is sparse, so take advantage of the restaurant's valet parking for $5. You'll be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable MealAudioAlDined on 8/8/2014Even though I've eaten at Alchemy before the entire experience exceeded my expectations. Restaurant week can go either way with some establishments miniaturizing portions and and dumbing down cuisine choices. From the special cocktails, to the apps, and the main course, everything was very tasty, attractive and carefully prepared. Service was attentive yet nearly invisible, just the way I like it. Fine dining has come to Hampden!Special Features:
- restaurant weekIcecreamkissDined on 8/8/2014Food is high quality and creative. Portions are small. For restauant week, we had the crab bisque, filled with chunks of crab and nicely flavored. But we each got a half of a wheat cracker-obviously broken in half with a raggedy edge. They couldn't afford a whole cracker? Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be returning!MHB13VIPDined on 8/7/2014I went for Restaurant Week and really enjoyed my meal there. The servers were attentive but not hovering, and the food was delicious. The only thing I wasn't too impressed with was the dessert- the apple turnover. It wasn't bad... just not what I expected after the first two outstanding courses. It actually kind of reminded me of one of those apple pies you buy in a store and reheat. The dough needs a little work and the filling needs some seasoning (maybe some cinnamon, a pinch of clove, and a drop or two of hickory syrup). Maybe I just ordered the wrong dessert...? Otherwise, the meal was fantastic. The mussels were delicious, as was the salmon dish. Ond holy cow, their garlic olive oil with reduced balsamic was to die for.Special Features:
- But watch for that gratuityShsfoodDined on 8/7/2014Perhaps it was because it was restaurant week. Perhaps it's policy, I don't know. But I was disappointed to see a gratuity attached to our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchTCNAGalDined on 8/7/2014Seated promptly, great selection for lunch during Restaurant Week, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner, will go bakpickyeaterDined on 8/6/2014Great food selection, great eating, friendly staff from arrival through exit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Find!klsutphinDined on 8/5/2014Went here for restaurant week, never even heard of this place before. So glad we tried it out, the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, terrific menusOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Went for restaurant week, had been before--never disappoints! Indian chicken with soy and curry! Light, well done caesar salad with anchovy. Desserts summery light and perfect. Great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine food at a reasonable priceenjoygoodfoodDined on 8/5/2014I enjoyed my meal as did my guest. Only drawback was that the server failed to mention that a cocktail was included so we weren't able to take advantage of this feature. Perhaps it was my misunderstanding but my guest misunderstood as well. Please be aware that a gratuity is included in the bill during restaurant week. It's a real plus that they provide valet parking for a small fee. Would definitely return for another meal. Friendly wait staff and comfortable atmosphere. The carrot cake was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Exquisite Food in HampdenNina921Dined on 8/5/2014Great atmosphere from Hampden and AMAZING food. Also, the drinks were great. The braised beef cheek french onion soup was to die for. Will definentely come here again!Special Features:
- Lucious lunchRoper1212Dined on 8/5/2014The three of us did the 2 course restaurant week lunch and I believe everyone thought Alchemy ended up being a good choice . We all got the smoked salmon appetizer and we all loved it. Everyone also made quick work of their second course. I will be backSpecial Features:
- Good food but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014I went during restaurant week, so the prices weren't really an issue, but I was looking over their regular menu and most of the entrees cost $30-40. I mean the food was good, but I find it hard to justify any meal costing that much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to AlchemyFranVIPDined on 8/3/2014Modern stylish room with comfortable seating. Tried roasted pear salad (excellent) and caprese salad (minute amount of mozzarella). Angel fire chicken and pork tenderloin entrees were worth the trip. One of the lowest price wines (Canyon Road pinot) was very good and worked well with the meal.Special Features:
- pricey but deliciousBarryDined on 8/3/2014Our reserved table was waiting for us upon arrival - nice! Service was attentive but not overbearing. Food was imaginative, well-prepared and served hot - no complaints. Alcohol was quite expensive and jacked up the bill significantly.Special Features:
- SMALL PLATEPOPSREVIEWDined on 8/3/2014Food was well prepared. except for the creme brulee the brulee was like a brick. Service was slow and they were not slammed.Special Features:
- Surprised Alchemy Has LastedLoveToDineOutVIPDined on 8/2/2014We went for the Restaurant Week dinner ($30.00). Rack of Lamb was $8.00 more; catfish $10.00 more! All food and drinks were bland, uninteresting, and flavorless. The Cream of Crab soup crab meat tasted "off". It was either very overcooked or, not crab meat at all! Carrot cake dessert was the smallest dessert that I had ever seen, and not good. Service was extremely poor. Waiter gave incorrect prices for items listed above and needed to be asked twice. We felt extremely pressured and rushed the entire time in the restaurant. There was always someone hovering over dishes immediately upon their emptying. At one point my wife had to ask for her bread dish and bread back from the waiter. To end this meal a 20% gratuity was added to the bill!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014it almost seemed as though the wait staff had been coached to provide a (wholly transparent) performance of enthusiasm & camaraderie. our server appeared incapable of reading & respecting our conversational intimacy, repeatedly interrupting serious moments of discussion in order to ask how our dining experience was. & one server--blessedly not assigned to our section--was putting on a strange (& visibly unwelcome) 1-man show for the dining room. the food was good enough. but the presentation was well over-the-top, particularly for a lunch. i asked for a side of mustard, & a small pile of yellow mustard (which was the only mustard option, apparently) was brought out on an ceramic spoon & balanced on the table using its hooked finger handle.
- Delicious and Creative CuisineLiv2EatVIPDined on 8/1/2014Once again this restaurant always aims to please and never disappoints. If you have only one day to go to dinner a year this would be your best place to pick. The owner chefs really care about creating and selecting the finest dishes for their customers. The Red Snapper with a touch of pancetta marinated in soy and ever so lightly coated was amazing! The portion was so generous and served with fresh veges and roasted garlic mash potato. A must try but everything I have here is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good.mmleachDined on 8/1/2014I ordered the pork tenderloin, because the waiter told be it had black beans (which I love). It showed up without black beans, and the waiter admitted he messed up. He also said, heat wise, it was a 4 on a scale of 10. It was more of a 7 to me. The pork itself was very good. I had ice cream for dessert. It was very good - wish there had been more of it.
- Great Spot!cheeriosDined on 8/1/2014A very interesting and innovative menu that is executed with flair. We had a great meal and will definitely be back! A Baltimore keeper!Special Features:
- Great LunchIady605Dined on 8/1/2014First time here during restaurant week. High quality food and excellent service. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alchemy is delicious!JimonoDined on 7/24/2014The food is fantastic and you won't find that gimmicky plaid shirt and beardo crowd. Just great food in a comfortable sophisticated setting.I would recommend this to a friend.