1011 West 36th Street
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alchemyon36.com/
- Phone: 4103661163x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Matassa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Alchemy specializes in assisting our corporate, social, wedding and special event clients in creating a unique culinary experience.
- Special Events: Call us at 410-366-1163 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule special events.
- Cross Street: Roland Avenue
- Public Transit: MTA Bus # 27 (36th Street)
MTA Bus # 22 (40th Street)
MTA Bus #98 (Hampden Shuttle- 36th Street)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet service for our guests. There is also street parking available in the area. Please allow enough time to find parking before your scheduled reservation.
A word from Alchemy
Alchemy is already a success for Michael and Debi Matassa, who owned the popular Fusion Grille in Fallston. While Michael is the executive chef, Debi is the sommelier and pastry chef. Alchemy's setting is polished and sophisticated but comfortable and welcoming. The menu offers various twists to traditional dishes and other creative fare. The restaurant is also serving Sunday brunch... the only champagne brunch on The Avenue. - Baltimore MagazineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Alchemy - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
Alchemy reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)neighborhood gem (105)special occasion (61)great for lunch (39)romantic (35)great for brunch (25)hot spot (24)good for groups (18)notable wine list (12)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- How are we so fortunate?DonhDined on 10/25/2014Another terrific meal, another terrific restaurant option in the neighborhood. Great food, service, and environment for a couple's Saturday night out. Excellent cocktail and wine options. All food orders were generous in portions and prepared flawlessly.Special Features:
- Excellent MealMichaelVIPDined on 10/24/2014This was my first time at Alchemy. The pork carnitas appetizer was delicious. I had steak for the entree which was great. And the brownie dessert was incredible. Our server was very attentive but let us sit uninterrupted as my dining partner and I were catching-up. I will definitely go back to Almchemy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Service was great. Food was good! A nice night out with my husband on my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in BaltimoreFrancineDined on 10/21/2014This is our go to restaurant when we want fine dining in a cool neighborhood. Best ever Cream of Crab soup. Can't miss menu. Wine list is well chosen. The 3-course menus on Tuesday are so reasonably priced! A special restaurant for any occasion including special occasions. We've never been disappointed. Ever! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- ScrumptilliumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Had a great time at Alchemy. The fixed price Tuesday night dinner was a great and affordable way to sample a fantastic menu. Delicious pumpkin soup, ancho chili rubbed chicken served with a black bean sweet corn salsa on polenta, and a delicious mini Apple pie. Our waitress did an excellent job and seemed to be serving all the tables. It was a nice place to take my parents for a special night out, they enjoyed their meal and we could hear each other's conversation. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some interesting itemsBrocDined on 10/21/2014The night we were there the restaurant offered an interesting appetizer and main course based on rabbit. The appetizer was a beautifully presented minuscule rack of rabbit together with a rabbit tight and foreleg. This had good seasonal vegetable accompaniments as did the entree which was a lovely leg of rabbit nestled in well executed mashed potatoes. We weren't thrilled with the fish entree that evening as it was somewhat prosaic. Service was excellent as provided by the waitress ("Sami)Special Features:
- Love Alchemy!foodieforfunDined on 10/18/2014Love, love, love Alchemy! I have been several times for dinner and each occasion has been excellent. It is fun to take family and friends who always declare Alchemy to be their new favorite restaurant when we leave. We were there last Sat. evening. Two of us had the special - Pork Tenderloin with pumpkin risotto and baby glazed carrots - all were awesome. Two others had the generous Baby Lamb Chops which are always amazing.. The service is always attentive and friendly. Cannot say enough good things about Alchemy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was exceptional and the wine had lovely choices that don't break the bankSpecial Features:
- Comfortable and pleasantsailorVIPDined on 10/15/2014We enjoyed our meal. Very good appetizers. Friendly service. Good quality food , well prepared. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightLamdinneroutDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went to Alchemy for the first time this past weekend. Our server was very nice, informative, and friendly. We ordered an app, salad, entree, side dish, and dessert all of which we shared. Everything was wonderful! Our favorite was the brussel sprouts. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- PriceIsRightDined on 10/10/2014While the food and service were excellent, the background music was not. We have been there several times now, and can't say I have always liked their choice in background music.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014The food and service were outstanding!!! A little noisy for my taste--0thers might say "energetic". The $30 Thursday was a spectacular deal!!!Special Features:
- finally made itbmorefuneatsDined on 10/8/2014after too long on our list of restaurants to try, we finally made it to Alchemy on a recent wednesday for an anniversary celebration. The food and atmosphere were both great- delicious seasonal vegetables, salmon and pork, all complemented with perfect seasonings. the portions were more than we expected and found a nice wine to complement the meal. I would certainly recommend this restaurant and will come back soon.Special Features:
- Creative twist on brunchLocavoreDined on 10/5/2014Alchemy took standard brunch fare like Eggs Benedict and came up with creative variations like Baltimore Benedict with crab meat or the Crepe Benedict. Very generous portions, reasonably priced. Delicious salads. Great cocktails. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Lose The Cream SauceBAWESQ75Dined on 10/3/2014The meal was very good. However, the sauce on the brussels sprouts with bacon was off-putting and added nothing to the dish. The red snapper was not enhanced by the mashed potatoes, either polenta or jasmine rice would make more palatable accompaniments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!KateDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant was amazing. The food was fantastic and the environment was so welcoming.Special Features:
- Alchemy made a special day GREAT!KED83VIPDined on 9/26/2014I love the food and service at ALCHEMY. It was my first visit to Baltimore in two+ years and Alchemy was on my list of things to do. I took a family member for a birthday meal. WOW!! What amazing service and special attention to the Birthday girl!! Not just a piece of old dessert with a candle. Next time you have ANY special occasion, go to ALCHEMY. You absolutely will not be disappointed!! Crab bisque is a MUST!!!Special Features:
- Excellent birthday dinner!JazzmineDined on 9/23/2014Food is absolutely fabulous and drinks are clearly made with care. Blackened catfish hit the spot and the gnocchi was delectable. GET THE BRUSSEL SPROUTS- we couldn't stop eating these! Came for a 30th birthday celebration; staff not only acknowledged the birthday, but did the classiest thing we'd even seen- my partner, whom is not a sweets person, received a glass of champagne with a lit birthday candle fused onto the side. Exactly what he "wanted" and I was pleasantly surprised! Adam is an excellent waiter and took very good care of us; we would definitely return and plan on doing so soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleChrisDined on 9/20/2014Overall terrible experience. Seated quickly with cold air blowing on our feet from under the booth. Waited over 20 minutes for our drinks and 30 minutes for bread. I tried to be understanding that Hamdenfest had just finished , but half the tables were empty. Crab dip appetizer was almost all cream cheese with almost no crab (unacceptable for anyplace in Baltimore). The first drink was almost pure liquor with little mixer, fun if your out at bar getting hammered but not for a nice dinner out with your wife/husband. The shrimp and grits were very good, the only shining star of our experience...decided after the crab dip to cut our losses and not chance further disappointment.
- jackhDined on 9/19/2014Nice sized portions of excellently prepared foods. We felt fully satisfied, not overstuffed, and found all the flavorings delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alchemy works!ChefRibiDined on 9/18/2014It was not our first visit but this time was special. We enjoyed a wonderful evening for a good cause. Alchemy donated part of their proceeds to The Moveable Feast organisation.Our dishes were a feast . The smoked trout and salmon, as appetizer were delicately flavored with dabs of creamy dressings. The lamb chops were succulent and pinkie ,the way I like them. The pork and pork dish was a full plate of meat which my adult son enjoyed very much. No room for dessert BUT THAT 'S THE WAY WE LIKE IT !!another great evening. Thank you1Special Features:
- Delicious & well presenteddiner7Dined on 9/17/2014We were pleasantly surprised by high-foodie imagination and presentation at Alchemy, with reasonable pricing and a great small restaurant atmosphere. Will go back.Special Features:
- Cool little spotDestinymacysDined on 9/14/2014The food is heavily under seasoned and the wait for the food is extremely long but overall an enjoyable spot. Friendly staff and delicious Lemon sorbet!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodVMMDDined on 9/13/2014Everybody totally enjoyed their selections, energetic noise levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatieDined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent and seasonal. The service was very good.Special Features:
- Great Hampden RestaurantDreamInOrangeDined on 9/11/2014Alchemy may not always get the same level of press as some of the other newer Hampden eateries but it definitely serves as good of food if not better than many on the Avenue. Terrific modern American food that is always prepared perfect with inventive combinations. Always a pleasure to make it back to Alchemy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find.EdinDCDined on 9/6/2014Heard about this gem from a chef in Mexico, oddly enough. Was worth the trip from DC?Special Features:
- Good place for lunch in HamdenKathyVIPDined on 9/4/2014There are not a lot of places open for lunch in Hamden, but Alchemy is a great option. Wish they had more vegetarian options on the sandwich menu.Special Features:
- Great Food, Excellent Service!HollyDined on 9/3/2014Bottom Line: We will be back! Our server Kyle was very friendly and his recommendations were on point. We started off with some delicious cocktails and had the Pork Flatbread as an appetizer. It was very good and the perfect size to share for two. We got the short rib and crab cakes as our entrees as we were very pleased. Everything was perfectly seasoned and cooked. For dessert we shared the bread pudding which was amazing!! I thought the portion sizes were just right. Well done Alchemy!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperiencebmorefoodieDined on 8/31/2014I visited Alchemy for the first time on Saturday with a friend for lunch and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and taste of a simple sandwich, I had the braised rib and grilled cheese sandwich. Our server Tommy was great too, very personable and helpful. I loved it so much I decided to take my family to brunch the following day! We were a party of 5 and we all enjoyed our food. The Sweet Potato pancakes were divine as were the breakfast potatoes. I'm curious as to their dinner so I will be visiting for dinner soon also. A Baltimore gem and overall great place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- night outAubergeChezRichardDined on 8/30/2014All in all a very nice surprise this being my second restaurant that I have tried with a friend who lives a few blocks from the avenue. Our seating may not have been the best - the last table from the kitchen and God knows what else lay beyond. The service was friendly and relaxing but he presumed that after having been seated we were ready to order cocktails and wine and apetizers and dinner. Memo to staff: work with us as we build in to our dinning experience don't drag us American-style from A to Z in two minutes. Our appetizers were very tasty and interesting. Main course was chicken in a curried environment and porc tenderloin medallions for moi. Paired with a nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc things were delicious. I would return no question!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with limited funJamesVIPDined on 8/29/2014This place wins because of the food. The chef owner couple is inventive, and I really enjoyed watching what their imagination would bring to the table next. Expect a lot of creative plays on classic high end dining favorites. My one hang up is that the atmosphere is a bit too much like a casual restaurant you might find in Canton for the high end menu and service on offer. Some might see it as informal and unpretentious but for me it was a bit too much of a stylistic contrast. I would definitely go back but the Hamden restaurant scene is a competitive one for restaurant with limited (but by no means terrible) atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanceDined on 8/28/2014Food and service were outstanding. We loved every bite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $30 ThursdayannaDined on 8/28/2014The Hendricks gin martini with muddled basil is wonderful. The $30 Thursday meal is a deal.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We ended up coming to Alchemy after our usual move in weekend place was booked. What a find! The food was fabulous, loved the avocado salad and the crab bisque. The desserts were mouth watering. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieDined on 8/20/2014This was a business dinner and the staff seated us appropriately. the crab cakes were excellent, and we were able to speak openly without interruption. I will be back.Special Features:
- Outstanding dinnerMikeDined on 8/16/2014Atmosphere was comfortable, we were able to hold a conversation without any problems,the service was good; and the food was outstanding! The best crab cakes ( a surprise), outstanding lamb chops- best I have ever had! Limited menu; but delicious! Nice drinks Highly recommend this small gem in Hampden.Special Features:
- Below ExpectationsPaulVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our party of three dined at Alchemy on a Saturday night. We were seated downstairs and found the table to be cramped. Our waiter was too casual and didn't came back to check on us after our entrees were served until we were done (cardinal sin in the restaurant biz). The cream of crab soup was excellent with the right balance of cream and sherry. The beets in the beet salad may have been fresh but had the same taste/texture as those from a can. The stuffed acorn squash was excellent. The Tournedos Crab a Rooney was just 'ok' while the accompanying garlic smash was like paste. I detected no coconut or curry in the Coconut Curry Glazed Salmon. As such, the fish was quite bland and a major disappointment. On the fence about a return engagement.
- Great food:great priceBreezyWeezy1Dined on 8/12/2014You can have the great restaurant week food and price every week at Alchemy with their Tuesday and Thursday 3 course specials for $25 and $30 with a drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2014I happened to visit on a Tuesday evening (my first time!), and I was pleasantly surprised by special -- 3 courses for $30 -- and how absolutely delicious everything was. The star of the evening, however, was the beef cheeks. Yup...beef cheeks. They were magnificent. I am absolutely looking forward to visiting again soon!Special Features: