1503 30th Street
San Diego, CA 92102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alchemysandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192550616x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm (Bar open all day); Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm (Bar Menu), 5:00pm - 11:00pm (Dinner menu), Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am (Bar Menu), 5:00pm - 11:00pm (Dinner menu)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Heredia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Alchemy provides catering for all occasions, large or small. For example, we organize private chef hosted dinner parties for 5 or more people, we deliver box lunches to many offices throughout San Diego and create original events and weddings for clients interested in a unique experience.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant can be reserved as a whole for private functions with a minimum of 40 guests and a maximum of 100 guests. Please contact us for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Ron Troyano 6192550616x
- Entertainment: Alchemy hosts acoustic music from time to time from local San Diego musicians. Our restaurant is also an art gallery showcasing visual art on a rotating basis. We jury the exhibits and change them about every six weeks.
- Cross Street: Beech Street
- Public Transit: San Diego Metropolitan Transit Bus Number 2. Exit the bus at the 30th and Beech
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Alchemy is located in the neighborhood of South Park, five minutes out of downtown San Diego with ample street parking adjacent to the restaurant on both Beech and 30th Streets.
A word from Alchemy Restaurant
Alchemy is a modern American cuisine restaurant located in the hip, up-and-coming neighborhood of South Park along the burgeoning 30th Street “Restaurant Row.” Executive Chef Ricardo Heredia has created an approachable and creative menu for dinner and brunch alike that draw on his childhood influences as well as techniques and flavors from various cultures around the world. The fundamental foundation of Alchemy’s food lies in the fresh, high-quality produce, poultry and meats delivered daily, much of which is purveyed locally. The restaurant has compiled an innovative wine list of over 100 different bottles and 22 wines by the glass. Our craft cocktail menu is classic in nature with a modern twist. The restaurant also serves up several unique culinary events including Wednesday evening’s Vegetarian Tasting Menu, Dinner With 6 Strangers, Suckling Pig Dinners and Silent Sunday, where Alchemy pays tribute to the traditional speakeasy with silent films and Prohibition-era cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Alchemy Restaurant - Best Restaurants in South Park ›
Alchemy Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (13)romantic (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (5)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Too hot to botherDDDinerDined on 9/7/2014There is no brunch menu. Our bloody Mary's had no booze in them, which we all confirmed. salad was warm, and no air conditioning. It was very stuffy..Special Features:
- Great place - should be swampedalexDined on 9/1/2014I went to Alchemy with my mom and girlfriend when we were looking for a new place to try. Here are some highlights: - Our 7:30 reservation turned out to be unnecessary because it was almost empty. That's absurd because they should be swamped, but we were happy to have a quiet atmosphere. - My girlfriend and I ordered cocktails, Pisco Sour and Paloma. Not bad, not great: 6/10 Here was our food order: - Thai Corn Fritters - were good but a little heavy: 7/10 - Piquillo Rellenos - recommended by Ross, our server, and were awesome: 9/10 - Mac & Cheese - so good, very flavorful cheeses: 9/10 - Roasted Chicken - very good, although I only had a bite: 8/10 - Butternut Squash & Cauliflower Soup - my favorite of the meal, AMAZING soup - 10/10Special Features:
- good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014really good craft drinks, tasty food and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for anniversaryDeezyDined on 8/16/2014We put a bye in our reservation that we were celebrating our anniversary. They started out meal Off with complimentary glasses of champagne, and also a complimentary dessert. Service was great! Great menu as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never lets me downmemarie3Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, imaginative menu and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Not so goodLuv2eatVIPDined on 8/9/2014I have to say that as restaurants go I am a good judge of them. However we were highly disappointed by the food. My husband ordered the fish and chips only to get fish that was cooked in old oil and not hot enough at that which is why it was full of grease. The old oil made it taste bad naturally. The soup of the day was awful it was a gazpacho but the flavores did not work well. The corn fritters were as the fish fried in bad oil. The service was ok but it took the waiter forever to do anything and then when I went to the restroom I had to walk through what I would guess was the manager or owner chewing my waiter out about giving a table to someone else. Highly unprofessional to do that in front of the bathroom and with guest.
- Not my thingFoodadventuresDined on 7/31/2014Almost nobody inside while the place across the street had people waiting. The risotto wasn't that great and the fish on top of watermelon and yogurt was just strangeSpecial Features:
- Love this placebethDined on 7/26/2014Alchemy is my favorite farm to table restaurant in San Diego. Actually it is my favorite restaurant. The food is innovative and delicious. The menu changes regularly. It is a great place to get lots of small items to share. The mix drinks are also really good. The staff is attentive and friendly. Overall just a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and last timetrdliteVIPDined on 7/13/2014They appear to be an interesting new South Park restaurant so we decided to try. I had their Alchemy burger. Asked it to be medium but instead got a well done burger. The burger was small for the bun. Overall lacking taste. Other at the table ordered steak and pork. The pork was cooked too much as well. The manager was kind enough to take it out of the bill. Their dessert menu is also very poor. Nothing interesting. so skipped dessert and asked for coffee. They messed that up as well. Worst coffee ever. Didn't get past the first couple of sips. Will not go there again. It was a poor overall experience.
- Great Spot in South ParkpeytonisradDined on 7/9/2014We absolutely love the ribs & onion rings!! Probably best we've ever had. Service was great too! We had a very nice blonde Irish girl who checked on us multiple times.Special Features:
- I didn't know they changed the menumemarie3Dined on 7/7/2014They took off some of my favorites. I like some of the new things I tried and hope some of the staples come backSpecial Features:
- Seems to have improvedsouthparkDined on 6/16/2014I liked this place when it opened and then I didn't. Food and service was erratic. But we have gone twice recently and it was better. The appetizers are particularly good. They also have a lot of gluten free options.Special Features:
- The Watermelon Cod, you will swoon!CoastalTonyEatsDined on 6/14/2014As always, Alchemy rates 5 Star...Love the curry ketchup on the show string fries. My husband had the farro risotto and suggested I have the Cod because, "it sounds like something you would like!!" As always. He was right, what a home run, the goat Cheeae and watermelon with the pea sprouts and radish!! Winning combo. Thanks for a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJerSDined on 6/13/2014It was just ok. Cheddar bay biscuits were good. Wife got the Farro Rissotto- bland. I ordered the Braised Beef Cheek- it was flavored ok, but super tough. The server noticed before I could send it back and offered a substitution as well as a beer on the house. Ended up with the house burger which was the best thing we had. It was a VERY good burger. Good service, cool ambiance, so-so food, good local beer selection.Special Features:
- Quiet before the stormConnieDined on 6/10/2014We ate early enough to be able to enjoy quiet before special wine tasting event, with free wine and appetizers. Lots of people and entertainers arrived and noise level increased. That was fun, although we were already full from the beef cheeks and hamburger and bread pudding. All very good.Special Features:
- Sorry but...weeklydinerVIPDined on 6/4/2014Took a party of 5 out to try a new place for us in our new neighborhood. Very nice casual ambiance, presentation of preparations was good. Shrimp cocktails didn't have any flavor, if you know what shrimp is supposed to taste like, and the three of us who had the pork rib special all had dysentery the next day. Three for three.
- writing on the wallleftcoastDined on 5/30/2014and the ceiling. great neighborhood gem. nice eclectic menu for meat eaters to vegans. solid cocktail list. server wasn't in the greatest mood, but we were more about catching up than ordering in a timely manner. will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicegoodeatsDined on 5/24/2014First time at Alchemy. The food was good. My husband had the lamb shank special and that disappeared quickly so I knew it was good. The beer and cocktail selection is very good. We had Thorn Street Imperial IPA which was cool because we had just stopped by the Thorn Street Brewery before dinner. The service was excellent. I would recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Delicious as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/24/2014Wonderful meal at Alchemy. The servers are always so friendly, Ron is so welcoming, and Chef Ricardo is a genius! We loved cornbread with orange honey butter (the bay biscuits are an acquired taste but were good too), alchemy salad, steak (hulking piece of meat - wow), and the new farro risotto (you can't believe it's vegan - it's super creamy and flavorful and light). Long live Alchemy for a non-stuffy delicious meal!Special Features:
- Very Pleasant ExperienceZillaDined on 5/23/2014The food was everything we had hoped for. Look, it's not your average menu. You come to try new things. We didn't love everything, but that was the point. Trying new flavor was fun. We appreciated that the prices allowed us to try a lot of different dishes and the stuff we didn't really love, we didn't eat. But the stuff we loved, we borderline licked the plates. But above the food, the service was spectacular. And that will bring me back more than anything. Plus, next time I can just focus in on the plates I loved, and try other new things...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 388 reviews are from the Alchemy Restaurant reviews archive.
- Very good, all aroundPatrickDined on 5/21/2014We had an enjoyable time the other evening for dinner. The service unfortunately was very ok. When we asked our server for suggestions, they leaned over the menu and essentially read the description from the menu. No value add. It was a shame since we ended up picking entrees which were very good, the server just didn't add a whole lot to the dining experience. The physical restaurant was nice and we liked the overall concept of the place, we just wanted a little more when it came to service.Special Features:
- A lovely surprise!SheilaDined on 5/19/2014One would not expect such lovely food in an informal restaurant. The chef has a gift of putting ingredients together in new ways. I will go back.Special Features:
- SO SO dining experienceJImmyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Dinner was ok. My wife ordered the gnocchi, she said she enjoyed it and in fact ate the entire entree. However the portion size was very small. For her to be the first one done eating and she cleared the entire plate before I was half way finished says how small this portion was. The main issue was my friend and I both ordered the steakhouse cut rib eye. My steak was medium on the ends but medium rare in the middle. My friends steak was medium well. The server noticed and took it back. She returned within 5 or so mins with another steak that was grilled like seared ahi. Blackened on the outside and basically not cooked in the center. She took it and they got it right the 3rd time. They did remove it from the bill.Special Features:
- Good not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014It was a hot evening and it was warm in the restaurant. I believe it's called AC. Had the grain salad which was good. Beef cheeks were blah and under seasoned. Bread pudding was the highlight. Service was great but one major problem - we were only halfway through our apps when our entrees came - Service 101. So while we tried to hurry to finish our apps our entrees were getting cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern and deliciousDivinediningDined on 5/12/2014Great atmosphere, modern , charming, quaint yet cool. I enjoyed the food very much especially the burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food awesome, service mehsonofoodieDined on 5/10/2014We reserved a table and in the notes mentioned that we would be celebrating our wedding anniversary. Now, I know each restaurant is different & there was certainly no expectation of a free meal or anything, but the service could have been much better. We were seated next to a very large group in the middle of the restaurant while I noticed that several comfy looking booths in quiet corners were available. Our waitress was very busy with a few large groups, so we felt rushed and weren't even offered dessert. The only saving grace was the burger I had and my hubby's meal of beef cheeks over polenta, both were awesome!!Special Features:
- As ExpectedrochsaysVIPDined on 4/26/2014The quality of the food has always been very good. This last visit was no exception. The service was good being that it was a busy Saturday night. It's a great neighborhood spot and it's always a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014The quail curry was delicious. The norwegain cabbage wrap was very bland and the flavors didn´t go very well together in my opinión I didn´t have the burgers but they looked very tasty and very big.Special Features:
- Just OKphredgtsdDined on 4/26/2014Food was very good, and the restaurant has a great atmosphere. Drink order was slow to arrive, and they "lost" one of the appetizers. Finally asked for and received it 2/3 through our meal. This was our first time visiting. The place was just OK.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2014We ordered 7 small plates to share instead of getting entrees. The taro tacos were awesome. Most of the other dishes were good, but somewhat underwhelming. The only thing we did not enjoy was the ceviche, which didn't really resemble ceviche. The best way I could describe it would be cilantro soup with a few pieces of fish tossed in. The Miracle Berry dessert experience was definitely different and fun. Overall, we had a good dining experience but since we are from out of town, we would probably rather go to a new restaurant and try something different than come back here since we aren't in San Diego often.
- Good food, service and energyMarcDined on 4/11/2014I hadn't been back to Alchemy since it opened but was looking for a resturant which accepted reservations at the last minute in South Park. We were delighted with the service. food and cocktails. Moderately priced. We will go backSpecial Features:
- Unremarkablemaxtraveller619VIPDined on 4/1/2014Ordered chicken and dumplings, duck boa and frites. Chix and dumplings were unremarkable--salt, but not much seasoning beyond that. Dumpling more of a flour mashed potato. The steam buns were hard, tough and dense. I like steam buns soft and fluffy. I understand they can be dense, but these were too dense to be enjoyable. Duck had a nice flavor--not to gamey or fatty. Not a fan of the curry ketchup for the frites. Overall, unremarkable dinner and will not likely return. Server was friendly, but served our bottle of wine in large pours rather than gradually. These weren't bar drinks, but a bottle--she literally poured it out in 2 pours or 3 pours--even after we told her it was warm and needed more chilling. Unremarkable. No need to return.
- great find on a recent tripLocalDined on 3/30/2014In town for a conference. we wanted to get away from Gaslamp district. This place did not disappoint. Great apps and drinks. Eclectic entrees. Not too pricy. Worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch Ever!alexvb11Dined on 3/30/2014My mom and I were in San Diego for Spring Break and I had seen Alchemy on a tv show, so we decided to try it out. It was our favorite restaurant all week! I had the bottomless strawberry basil bellini (AMAZING!) and my mom had a mimosa, which our waitress also made bottomless! My mom had the buttermilk waffles, and I had the ham/sausage/bacon frittata. Both tasted great, were very generous portions and were fairly priced. The ambience was fun (we loved the look of the restaurant, especially the books on the ceiling - very cool!) and all of the staff were super nice and friendly! We wish there was an Alchemy near us in CO, but it will definitely make our trips to Southern Cali even more special in the future - we will definitely be back! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for get-togetherLisaDined on 3/28/2014My husband and I split the rib-eye and it was cooked and seasoned to perfection. We ordered several sides and had the hush-puppy appetizers, all excellent. Our sons had the quail, burger and fish plate. They all enjoyed their dishes. The menu was very eclectic running from simple to fancy. Presentation was beautiful and service was prompt even though they were very busy. I brought a cake and they were very kind to not charge a "cake-charge".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knew we would be able to haveMaryDined on 3/25/2014Knew we would be able to have a good place to catch up with a friend a couple of us had not seen for many years. Yes, the evening was a success. We enjoyed the atmosphere, and had good food also. Thanks.Special Features:
- DisappointednikkibDined on 3/22/2014I really wanted to like this place, ambiance was great and the menu was interesting. Our cocktails were great but the food was inconsistent or spotty at best. I don't want to dismiss them, but I probably won't return. Duck buns was great but the chicken and dumplings a huge disappointment. They were served in a large bowl, with one chicken leg and two dumplings swimming in a bowl of gravy. Very unappealing--it would be different if this was a soup, with a soup or broth base, but this was basically a big bowl of gravy with a leg and two dumplings tossed in. Our server was very nice, but she was new, and wasn't able to answer questions about specific dishes or keep up. Not her fault--she tried but probably wasn't fully trained.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4OutoftownerDined on 3/15/2014We were able to be seated right away on a Saturday night. Waitress was very pleasant and patient. They didn't have a kids menu but were very accommodating for our youngest. I had the beef tamale and the fish tacos which were both delicious. Others had the quail and cocido. Only complaint was the noise level and the parking. Parking is on the street in a residential area and was a hunt to find a space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SpotElaineDined on 3/8/2014We were looking for a low key place with excellent food to unwind on a Saturday night during a conference in town--to get away from the waterfront/conference venue. This was perfect! Not too loud, but busy enough and relaxed. It was a nice mix of ages--not all young people, but not all staid old fogies either! The menu was small but had just enough variety to make it interesting. We ordered three small plates and one entree. All were delicious. The curry quail dish was outstanding. As were the duck bao. We drank local beers on tap, which were great! We are from out of town, but if we lived here we would make this a regular spot!Special Features:
- DisappointingMoboDined on 3/8/2014Tried this place last week. Hubbie's burger was dry my fish was overcooked. Service left a lot to be desired. Overall just not impressed.