Alchemy Restaurant and Bar
35 S 2nd St
Ashland, OR 97520-2877Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://alchemyashland.com/
- Phone: 541-488-1115x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
Bar: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Billy Buscher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We regularly feature live music in our bar on Friday and Saturday nights from 7:30 until 9:30 PM with no cover charge.
- Special Events: We regularly feature wine and spirits pairings in the bar.
We are also the home of the 30th Annual Dickens' Christmas Feast for the month of December. Please inquire at 541-488-1115 or visit http://winchesterinn.com/dickens.htm for more information.
A word from Alchemy Restaurant and Bar
For all play tables we suggest no later than 6:00pm. If you prefer outside seating please make note in your reservation. If you are attending a theater performance, please let us know in your reservation notes. Serving dinner, bistro fare and brunch, Alchemy Restaurant and Bar offers cuisine transformed. We specialize in fresh local ingredients, craft cocktails and boutique wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (77)special occasion (68)romantic (55)notable wine list (41)neighborhood gem (34)great for outdoor dining (28)great for brunch (14)scenic view (11)good for groups (8)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- RushedDiner123Dined on 9/12/2014Our meal was pretty disappointing. The pacing was off and made us feel rushed. Food and drink orders were taken at the same time, and 3 out of 4 appetizers came out of the kitchen immediately, before the cocktails. There was apparently a mistake with the 4th appetizer (mini wellingtons) and when it came out late, the centers of the wellingtons were cold. They had clearly rushed and the execution of the dish suffered. Cocktails were good. Charging $10 to split an entree (the ravioli) on two dishes seems excessive, especially since one of the ravioli was cut in half to make the portions exactly even instead of just throwing in another one. These kinds of touches are small, but definitely affect the experience.
- Amazing!!dine4funVIPDined on 9/10/2014Definitely a five-star dining experience. The foie gras was worth every penny, the dungeness crab salad and mini-beef wellington appetizers were a hit, and the filet mignon (prepared in the most amazing way) and rack of lamb entrees just blew us away. Finally, for dessert, they had a lemon caramel pot de creme that was just the perfect size to end the meal. Our waiter was friendly and attentive, providing us with outstanding service. We just could not have asked for a more memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SterDined on 9/7/2014Food was good; service was just OK - considering there were only two people working the dining room they were doing probably the best that they could do. Management should have brought someone in to help; considering this is supposed to be a fine dining experience. First bottle of wine that we ordered came to the bottle already opened (obviously a no no) which coincidentally (?) was corked. Prior to being seated, the waiter spilled my wife's water glass and decided to move us to a new table (which took a few minutes) and didn't even offer to pay for our apertifs or desert. Basic 101 service training probably needed.Special Features:
- ftbc262Dined on 9/7/2014Quaint and relaxing/ Really fine service and a place to enjoy our anniversary.Special Features:
- CJD60Dined on 9/6/2014I am in love with this restaurant. Eating there is like a religious experience for the taste buds. I have celebrated by birthday there the past two years now, and will return. I have recommeded Alchemy to several friends who are making a pilgrimage to Ashland. The service is excellent also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food evertravelgirlDined on 9/6/2014We always end our ashland trips here and it never disappoints. This time I had halibut and it was the best halibut I have ever had. The waiter was an absolute delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Ashland OregonRestaurantRomerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful spot for a terrific menu of perfectly prepared food. Excellent wine list. Friendly and very attentive service. All the ingredients for a relaxed and romantic dinner before or after a play. Simply, one of the best in Ashland Oregon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!RosabellaxDined on 9/5/2014The service, the ambiance and the food were all outstanding and memorable! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Perfect DinnerDanaDined on 9/5/2014This is an excellent restaurant. The food was delicious and service was great. Would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater mealDelcyDined on 9/2/2014Our party of 5 was seated promptly at a lovely table. Tim, our server, kindly took pictures of our group and answered numerous questions about the menu. The menu featured local ingredients (lamb, salmon, vegetables) prepared and presented with creativity. Portions were sufficent but not overly large. Favorites were the fresh pea soup; the goat cheese ravioli; the flank steak; and the rack of lamb. All accompanied by an organic and salmon-safe Pinot noir from Eden Valley. We didn't quite have time for dessert (one person had a yummy pot de creme), but that was our own fault as we took our time ordering. Highly recommend Alchemy for a special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, service was fine...FlavorSeekerLADined on 8/29/2014We loved the complexity and variety of the menu - everything was solid-to-good as well as inventive and nuanced. Our service started our fine and then started to fade... we weren't sure if they just got very busy as the hour closed in upon curtain time at OSF, but we had to call upon other servers and staff to handle our dessert and our check, which was awkward. The dessert was also under-ripe (suckle pears basted in honey) and we didn't have anyone to share that feedback. But a very pleasant experience, we will probably go back.Special Features:
- Almost First Rate DiningFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014We ate better at Alchemy than at any of the other restaurant on our recent road trip to Southern Oregon. Except for the steep prices, we were pleased with the meal. In the spirit of constructive criticism, I offer the following: our very likable waitress made several small mistakes: soup course served while we had hardly started our apéritifs; wrong wine brought to table -fortunately unopened; white wine glass used for our zinfandel. The duck main course was OK but thinly sauced to my taste; the grilled foie gras entree was tiny but excellent.Special Features:
- Great place in Ashland4thgenCADined on 8/25/2014A wonderful place in Ashland. Not cheap, by any means ( for two of us...$176 incl. tip--2 glasses of wine, 2 after dinner whiskey, dessert, as well as salad and main course). Portions are not great huge (which is good, in my book), but the food is exquisitely prepared. Excellent menu, including a substantial menu of high-end hard alcohol. Extremely attentive (but not hovering) service. Save it for your first or last night in Ashland, or a special occasion if you're local.Special Features:
- Summer dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Cool melon soup, perfectly cooked halibut = wonderful meal for a warm summer eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnJanrcVIPDined on 8/24/2014Everything was fabulous. We had a great brunch in a beautiful setting and were surprised at the reasonable cost. Best meal of the trip.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & PlaysOR242Dined on 8/23/2014This restaurant in the Winchester Inn is a delightful place for a delicious meal before a play. We shared the dungeness crab salad, which was quite refreshing on a hot evening. Then we had the halibut and the flank steak. Both were cooked perfectly and presented beautifully. So nice to fine a new place within walking distance of the plays at the Shakespeare Festival.Special Features:
- SteveDined on 8/19/2014Excellent food and service. Truly outstanding improvement when compared with our last visit years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical Fine Dining placedatenight54Dined on 8/19/2014I took my date to this restaurant for a nice night out for dinner. The service was excellent and the food was delicious but its a stereotypical fine dining meal. The food was presented very well although the food is small portions for pretty penny. Don't get me wrong i thought the food was very good, definitely a successful night out. Although wasnt expecting the portions to be so small.Special Features:
- excellent restaurantdianeDined on 8/19/2014my halibut was well prepared and well presented. my husband did not care for his salmon, but the kitchen went out of their way to try to please himSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but sadly lackingGrumpyOneDined on 8/18/2014A good restaurant with pretentions far beyond its delivery...the chef and pastry chef, if they have one, are the know it alls that probably impress and drive the staff. They do cook nice food, overly complicated, just one or three ingredients too many in an area that prides itself in good produce. Maybe in a few years the "less is more message" will get through and they will have the confidence to do a few basic local ingredients well instead of trying to impress with overcomplicated taste combinations. I suspect the more modest local restaurants do a much better deal at delivering value for expectaion (and money). Next visit we will try to look for more basic local fare.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere and meal very much. The menu has variety and imagination. Although it's expensive we thought we got our moneys worth. Also we had polite and prompt service.Special Features:
- Good, if a little pricey...40somethingVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was excellent (skirt steak, squab). The appetizers in particular were imaginative and very tasty (fois gras, filet wellington), albeit a little overpriced.Special Features:
- Outstanding!DinerDougDined on 8/13/2014When we are in Ashland for the Shakespeare Festival (usually two times each year), we always have dinner at Alchemy (at the Winchester Inn) at least once. The Winchester Inn is also our favorite place to stay.Special Features:
- OK, Not a 'Wow'OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014We started with the foie gras (politically incorrect as it is) - very smooth, almost too smooth, very small portion, overwhelmed by the intense berry preserve accompaniment. Also had the soup du jour, a cold tomato bisque that was good. Mains were rack of lamb which was stuffed, a bit muddled and overcooked, and the flank steak with risotto that was probably the best dish. Finished with the apple tart, too much crust vs. filling, and way too sweet and rich. Wine list is good. Overall this was not a bad meal at all but for the money and given the stellar reviews I'd expected more.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014This is the second time we've eaten here and both times we were thrilled with the great food. Our favorite spot in Ashland for a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gerryVIPDined on 8/5/2014Much improved menu. Impressive food. Very useful for pre-theater dining.Special Features:
- Ashland Gem!kafradoDined on 8/2/2014Don't miss this wonderful spot if you're looking to dine in Ashland! We had a wonderful meal and our server Timothy was a delight.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in AshlandRaySFDined on 7/31/2014Second time here. In my opinion, Alchemy continues to be the best restaurant in Ashland. Great food, great service, nice ambience.Special Features:
- What a terrific find!BeeGeeDined on 7/31/2014Just turn a corner in Ashalnd and there it is. I am so glad that I turned that corner. I will definitely go back. Tiny, quiet, elegant and wonderful. The food was beautifully prepared and just great.Special Features:
- Terrific Ashland Dinner Optionlucky6VIPDined on 7/27/2014It had been several years since we had dined at the Winchester Inn, but Alchemy has received some great reviews, so we decided to try. The good press was highly justified. The meal was beautiful, delicious, inventive, and featured multiple flavors and textures that harmonized so well. We ordered the Dungeness crab salad and the braised short ribs. It was quite warm in the restaurant -- the air conditioning not quite up to such a hot day.Special Features:
- Great cuisine in Ashland Or.PdxeatingqueenDined on 7/25/2014Dinner with other PDXers was fantastic.Blond Drew gave excellent advice and we 4 foodies give Alchemy an A+.Special Features:
- Oh what a nightSoHappyDined on 7/21/2014I took my husband to Alchemy for his birthday. What a great evening. The wait staff was gracious and attentive. The food, well let's just say after the meal was finished, and we lingered over a terrific dessert, we decided this IS our favorite place to dine in Ashland. We look forward to joining friends and family for great meals at this terrific establishment.Special Features:
- Ashland's best restaurant bar noneNumber1fooddudeDined on 7/20/2014Once again had a 5 star experience. The Foie Gras was Excelkent with a lovely Sauterne. The stuffed endive with rogue creamery blue cheese was delicious. My Duck entree was cooked perfect and tasted incredible. Our chocolate dessert that we shared was a perfect ending to an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!JimzDined on 7/19/2014Everything we ordered was fantastic. We were told that the filet mignon is their specialty, and it was truly special, as were the root vegies and Jerusalem artichoke mashers. The goat cheese gnocchi with wild mushrooms appetizer was a creative masterpiece! This is a rare occurrence for us. The service was great. We had a couple of special requests for them that were carried out seamlessly. We will be back!Special Features:
- Excellant food and atmospherephoto9999Dined on 7/19/2014We ate in the bar one night and the dinning area the other. Food was excellant. Had a great time both nights.Special Features:
- Much adoShasta67Dined on 7/18/2014We ordered duck breast & scalloops. We asked our server for a wine suggestion that would be appropriate & the response was "oh something in the middle". This was totally unsatisfactory for a restaurant that prides itself on its award winning 25 page wine list. She did not offer any other help even a sommelier. The butter lettuce salad was served on a warm plate & was wilted. The entrees were presented with style but lacked the flavor one would expect from the menu description. In addition, scallops were cold & duck was less than tender.Special Features:
- A great Reasturant in Ashland ORGaelDined on 7/11/2014the food is great and innovative. I had a boneless short rib that was glazed and perfect. Not fatty as some short ribs are. Tender - yummy. It was served with a combination of Yukon gold potatoes and carrots, all mixed together like mashed potatoes. Tasty and the carrot color went well with the very dark short rib. this is a small restaurant, it is quiet and you can TALK without shouting. We wet there for our anniversary dinner and were not disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic eveningLeslieAnneDined on 7/7/2014We wanted to try a new restaurant while in Ashland for the Festival. We had read good things about Alchemy so decided on our evening off to come here. It was perfect. The pace was just right. The specialty drinks were fun. The food delicious. I had the scallops and my husband had the filet. The scallops were prepared 3 different ways and each one created an explosion of flavors in my mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great chemestry at AlchemyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Great food, wonderful menu, great wine, all in time for the play. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Reasonable Pricingtishtash22Dined on 7/6/2014While this restaurant definitely isn't a cheap place to eat, the quality is so high I am surprised that the dinners aren't $50 per person! It was a great place to celebrate and the staff was warm and welcoming. Also, when I had questions about dietary issues (I have Celiac Disease and therefore need to eat gluten free), the staff was very knowledgeable and when they didn't know they went and checked with the chef. Awesome! I would definitely come back again in a future trip to Ashland.Special Features: