Alchemy Restaurant and Bar
35 S 2nd St
Ashland, OR 97520-2877Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://alchemyashland.com/
- Phone: (541) 488-1115
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
Bar: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Billy Buscher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We regularly feature live music in our bar on Friday and Saturday nights from 7:30 until 9:30 PM with no cover charge.
- Special Events: We regularly feature wine and spirits pairings in the bar.
We are also the home of the 30th Annual Dickens' Christmas Feast for the month of December. Please inquire at 541-488-1115 or visit http://winchesterinn.com/dickens.htm for more information.
A word from Alchemy Restaurant and Bar
For all play tables we suggest no later than 6:00pm. If you prefer outside seating please make note in your reservation. If you are attending a theater performance, please let us know in your reservation notes. Serving dinner, bistro fare and brunch, Alchemy Restaurant and Bar offers cuisine transformed. We specialize in fresh local ingredients, craft cocktails and boutique wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (90)special occasion (80)romantic (60)notable wine list (53)neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (39)great for brunch (16)scenic view (8)good for groups (8)great for lunch (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Ssuper SweetHorseMuseDined on 11/16/2014I wrote a lengthy review before, but to reshare. This place it's a gem, great food lovely environment . Feels like your on vacation in yoiur own townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Flavored FoodKrisPNWDined on 11/2/2014Ordered the Duck and Chapino. Both were prepared and flavored very well. Excellent local wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickDined on 11/1/2014Nice menu - simple with good variety - maybe could use another salad option or two. Overall the setting is nice and simple and the service is good - We appreciated the friendly and personable atmosphere - kudos to Timothy. Good location, close enough to the theaters but far enough away from the downtown bustle.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant48JAMDined on 10/31/2014Definitely one of the best restaurants in Ashland. Superb from entrance to departure.Special Features:
- Great morning start for AshlandTravelbugDined on 10/26/2014Loved the ambiance and great way to start your day in Ashland with brunch here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMO!AnastatiaBeverhausin1Dined on 10/26/2014Had Brunch at Alchemy! Food was great, had the stuffed brioche french toast, so tasty! Service was wonderful! Just a beautiful old Inn with wonderful food!Special Features:
- Very nice meal at AlchemyMisscheviousDined on 10/24/2014Very nice meal, attentive service and great winery recommendations in applegate valley from the sommelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I expectedBestVIPDined on 10/22/2014Apparently there is a new chef - but the food just wasn't all that good. Service was OK, but the restaurant was almost empty. Cost? Like it was a big deal place - truly a little shocking.
- DolceDolceVIPDined on 10/18/2014The service was very good and our waiter was very nice. I had salmon, it wasn't that good. However, my husband had the filet sous vide, that was excellent. The desert was very good too.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant in AshlandJoyceSzDined on 10/18/2014We had an outstanding dinner at Alchemy. The food and service were superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but...RleibmanDined on 10/12/2014So we went there for Dinner and brunch a couple of days later (yes, we like it that much) Dinner: excellent, except that the portion of foie gras that we got for $22 was minuscule, just a couple of small bites, seriously, if it's so expensive that you have to resort to such small portions, just take it off the menu. I think the chef figured out that it was so small that he sent us another bite when they saw our faces, but it was still not much more. Brunch: The food was excellent, the perfectly poached, etc. My only complaint is that I was expecting a more inspired menu considering how exciting the dinner menu is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off night?rja1953Dined on 10/8/2014My wife and I had the rack of lamb and a stuffed quail, unfortunately the lamb was fatty to the point of being greasy, which is odd for lamb. The quail, on the other hand, was quite dry. The rest of the food was fine, pity that the entrees were not. On the plus side, a great wine list! Service was fine, noise level a bit high but it was nearly a full house that night. Considering the high marks Alchemy has, we were disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- refined and friendlysacramentopaulDined on 10/8/2014What a wonderful experience our dinner was! My wife and I were looking for a special place to commentate our tenth anniversary on our vacation to Ashland, and Alchemy really or did itself. The entire staff was just the perfect amount of friendly but professional. The food was absolutely delicious: creative and inventive without being unfamiliar. The start of our meal, however, was the dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth coming back toJohnVIPDined on 10/6/2014This is a total dining experience. One of the best meals I've had in Ashland. Food is innovative but not over done. Everything is perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. Wonderful ambience and service. Would highly recommend to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicegoodlifetravellerDined on 10/6/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Alchemy so much that we returned the following evening for appetizers in the bar. The service, food, and atmosphere were all excellent.Special Features:
- Good but not ExceptionalValueDinerDined on 10/5/2014The menu has several dishes such as the quail that are distinctive. Our order of seared Salmon was underdone and correcting it took more time than seemed necessary, and the waiter did no offer to keep our other dish warm while the Salmon was corrected. The service was ordinary for a restaurant that advertises a unique dining experience and has comparable prices. The setting in the bar and dining room is pleasant. Perhaps it was an off night. We are often in Ashland and will try again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Wonderful evening. Wonderful everything. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable anniversary dinnerhard2pleaseDined on 10/2/2014We were looking for a special evening for our 36th anniversary and, because of the reviews we read, decided to make reservations at Alchemy Restaurant. "Wow!" was the go-to word tonight. There wasn't one thing we had that wasn't great, and we are a very hard to please couple when it comes to food. I love an "Old Fashion", Alchemy's was terrific (they make their own bitters). Dungeness crab appetizer - outstanding. Split pea soup - delicious (really). Rack of Lamb and duck breast confit, none better. And, even though we were stuffed, we had to try dessert. So glad we did! Lemon cream with salted caramel, blackberry puree and shortbread with basil fills the mouth with pleasure. Truly an enjoyable and memorable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGAJ2Dined on 10/2/2014We eat at Alchemy at the end of our annual trip to Ashland as a special treat to ourselves. This year we were very disappointed. The serving was sporadic, with our server just having too many tables to handle and his apparent distracted behavior. The menu choices were not clearly explained, hence one of party received onions after stating allergies. The serving of gnocchi was just over spiced. After that we decided to make a dessert choice because we've had such good ones previously. Well the apple dessert didn't disappoint until we goy a dead fly in it. Another server just said "sorry" and gave us the full bill. We will not be going back, but I don't think they'll care.Special Features:
- Alchemy Exceeds ExpectationspatticDined on 10/1/2014Though it was rated #1 on Trip Advisor, I was skeptical that it could be THAT good. Well, it was THAT good. We had the mini-Wellington's. Crust was flakey and light, yet buttery. The filet was cooked to perfection, surrounded by delicate cheese and mushrooms. We also had a fresh salad that tasted as if they just went out back and picked the greens for our meal. We each splurged on dessert--my choice the creme brulee'. I have to say it now tops my list as the best brulee' I have had. Soooo creamy and lush, and the sugar crust was perfection. Our group of 8 women (Seattle book club that came down for four days, four plays, and lots of shopping) found the Alchemy to be a highlight of the trip!Special Features:
- From the sublime to the ordinaryOverservedVIPDined on 9/30/2014We had read great things about this restaurant, butit did not live up to expectations. The quail dish was superb, but lamb, salad and gnocchi were just ordinary. The lemon pot de creme for dessert was also quite nice. I hope it was just an off night because the setting is quite lovely.Special Features:
- third time rheresandraandersonVIPDined on 9/30/2014Mini beef Wellington was outstanding as were the baby quail dinners had by our dining partners. My ravioli wrte paper thin and tasty. Apple tart was doughy but very flaky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant!EcoplanDined on 9/28/2014This restaurant is extraordinary. We dined on eggs benedict with artichoke hearts instead of English muffins and house made pancakes. The service was impeccable and the decor elegantly comfortable. We will definitely return the next time we are in Ashland.Special Features:
- NorthcoastcookDined on 9/26/2014This was our first time at Alchemy and all the four and five star reviews that we had read were spot on. Our group had the foie gras, corn soup, halibut, flank steak, seared duck breast, and rack of lamb and they were all done to perfection, beautifully presented and delicious. The foie gras was a special treat as it is no longer served in California. Alchemy is more highly priced than many restaurants in Ashland, but for special occasions it is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good findTheaterGoerDined on 9/25/2014We've been visiting Ashland for years but this was our first time to try Alchemy. It was hands-down the best meal of our recent trip. Wonderful food, great wine list, spot-on service. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- v good experience82muchDined on 9/24/2014V pleasant dining experience in a clean, well-appointed restaurant managed with care and creativity. Prompt and attentive wait staff, along with perfect timing of meal delivery made our beautifully prepared and tasty meal a pleasure. Varied menu had an array of entre choices and appetizers. We enjoyed the chowder and simple salad starters. Main dish duck was delicious and cooked as requested, accompanied by well chosen and prepared side; v attractive presentation. Split plate no problem. Extensive wine list (although my wife likes Proseco, but none available); v well-stocked bar. As this is also part of a B&B, we had bkfst as well. Same high marks for service and food. Recommend highly; eager to stay and dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScarhandDined on 9/23/2014Food was some of the very best we have ever had! Wine list was remarkable and overall a special almost "once in a lifetime" experience.Special Features:
- RushedDiner123Dined on 9/12/2014Our meal was pretty disappointing. The pacing was off and made us feel rushed. Food and drink orders were taken at the same time, and 3 out of 4 appetizers came out of the kitchen immediately, before the cocktails. There was apparently a mistake with the 4th appetizer (mini wellingtons) and when it came out late, the centers of the wellingtons were cold. They had clearly rushed and the execution of the dish suffered. Cocktails were good. Charging $10 to split an entree (the ravioli) on two dishes seems excessive, especially since one of the ravioli was cut in half to make the portions exactly even instead of just throwing in another one. These kinds of touches are small, but definitely affect the experience.
- Amazing!!dine4funVIPDined on 9/10/2014Definitely a five-star dining experience. The foie gras was worth every penny, the dungeness crab salad and mini-beef wellington appetizers were a hit, and the filet mignon (prepared in the most amazing way) and rack of lamb entrees just blew us away. Finally, for dessert, they had a lemon caramel pot de creme that was just the perfect size to end the meal. Our waiter was friendly and attentive, providing us with outstanding service. We just could not have asked for a more memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SterDined on 9/7/2014Food was good; service was just OK - considering there were only two people working the dining room they were doing probably the best that they could do. Management should have brought someone in to help; considering this is supposed to be a fine dining experience. First bottle of wine that we ordered came to the bottle already opened (obviously a no no) which coincidentally (?) was corked. Prior to being seated, the waiter spilled my wife's water glass and decided to move us to a new table (which took a few minutes) and didn't even offer to pay for our apertifs or desert. Basic 101 service training probably needed.Special Features:
- ftbc262Dined on 9/7/2014Quaint and relaxing/ Really fine service and a place to enjoy our anniversary.Special Features:
- CJD60Dined on 9/6/2014I am in love with this restaurant. Eating there is like a religious experience for the taste buds. I have celebrated by birthday there the past two years now, and will return. I have recommeded Alchemy to several friends who are making a pilgrimage to Ashland. The service is excellent also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food evertravelgirlDined on 9/6/2014We always end our ashland trips here and it never disappoints. This time I had halibut and it was the best halibut I have ever had. The waiter was an absolute delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Ashland OregonRestaurantRomerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful spot for a terrific menu of perfectly prepared food. Excellent wine list. Friendly and very attentive service. All the ingredients for a relaxed and romantic dinner before or after a play. Simply, one of the best in Ashland Oregon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!RosabellaxDined on 9/5/2014The service, the ambiance and the food were all outstanding and memorable! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Perfect DinnerDanaDined on 9/5/2014This is an excellent restaurant. The food was delicious and service was great. Would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater mealDelcyDined on 9/2/2014Our party of 5 was seated promptly at a lovely table. Tim, our server, kindly took pictures of our group and answered numerous questions about the menu. The menu featured local ingredients (lamb, salmon, vegetables) prepared and presented with creativity. Portions were sufficent but not overly large. Favorites were the fresh pea soup; the goat cheese ravioli; the flank steak; and the rack of lamb. All accompanied by an organic and salmon-safe Pinot noir from Eden Valley. We didn't quite have time for dessert (one person had a yummy pot de creme), but that was our own fault as we took our time ordering. Highly recommend Alchemy for a special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, service was fine...FlavorSeekerLADined on 8/29/2014We loved the complexity and variety of the menu - everything was solid-to-good as well as inventive and nuanced. Our service started our fine and then started to fade... we weren't sure if they just got very busy as the hour closed in upon curtain time at OSF, but we had to call upon other servers and staff to handle our dessert and our check, which was awkward. The dessert was also under-ripe (suckle pears basted in honey) and we didn't have anyone to share that feedback. But a very pleasant experience, we will probably go back.Special Features:
- Almost First Rate DiningFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014We ate better at Alchemy than at any of the other restaurant on our recent road trip to Southern Oregon. Except for the steep prices, we were pleased with the meal. In the spirit of constructive criticism, I offer the following: our very likable waitress made several small mistakes: soup course served while we had hardly started our apéritifs; wrong wine brought to table -fortunately unopened; white wine glass used for our zinfandel. The duck main course was OK but thinly sauced to my taste; the grilled foie gras entree was tiny but excellent.Special Features:
- Great place in Ashland4thgenCAVIPDined on 8/25/2014A wonderful place in Ashland. Not cheap, by any means ( for two of us...$176 incl. tip--2 glasses of wine, 2 after dinner whiskey, dessert, as well as salad and main course). Portions are not great huge (which is good, in my book), but the food is exquisitely prepared. Excellent menu, including a substantial menu of high-end hard alcohol. Extremely attentive (but not hovering) service. Save it for your first or last night in Ashland, or a special occasion if you're local.Special Features: