Alchemy Cafe and Bistro
3 Duncan Street
Gloucester, MA 01930Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Alchemy Cafe and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alchemybistro.com/
- Phone: 9782813997
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch:Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thurday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Jeff Cala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For any inquiries on catering please call 978-281-0927
- Entertainment: Live Acoustic with John Rockwell 7-9pm Wednesday Evenings for Ladies Night ($5 Wines, Tapas, Desserts)
Sunday Morning Bluegrass Brunch with Flynn Cohen 12-3pm
- Special Events: For any inquiries on special events please call 978-281-3997 and ask for the General Manager
A word from Alchemy Cafe and Bistro
Alchemy Cafe and Bistro offers a suburban-chic dining environment located in the heart of downtown Gloucester, Massachusetts. Our Restaurant offers upscale casual dining at affordable prices, and our adventurous menus provide enough choices to please everybody.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alchemy Cafe and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great for any occasionDanielleBDined on 2/22/2014Went with my husband for date night. The dress code ranged from jeans an flannel shirts to heels and dresses. The restaurant is not too big but busy. I'd make a reservation. As I am pregnant I did not enjoy a cocktail, they sounded excellent. But they had 3 mocktails to choose from. Delish! Roasted beets were a great starter along with bread brought to the table. I had cod tacos (spicy yum!) and my husband had the most delicious cassoulet with white beans, tomato, pork belly, pheasant sausage and duck thigh. My husband is picky and he couldn't stop gushing over this dish. Well done Alchemy! The table next to us had the hummus platter and got baked Mac and cheese they looked good and the girls at that table were happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeChristianBDined on 2/14/2014Had a Valentine's Day reservation. Was seated promptly upon arrival. Very good food, service, and drinks. Points off because we were seated at an awkward corner table and there were not adequate window dressings to prevent light from cars on the street from being a total nuisance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJandBDined on 2/14/2014Dined there on Valentine's Day and ordered from Valentine's menu. Server was great and atmosphere was very nice. Some menu descriptions were difficult to understand. Lobster gnocchi was bland and mushy. Steak was very charred on edges and was served on a very dark tile which caused juices to run off tile. Chocolate fondue was discolored and bubblely almost as though is had been microwaved. Price was expensive considering the meal that was served.Special Features:
- Incredible !!LeketaDined on 2/8/2014My wife and I decided to do the Valentines day thing a week early, and we found Alchemy online as listed on the Phantom Gourmet. Everything from the unique drinks to the last bite of food was absolutely outstanding. I have been raving about it to all of our friends...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The power went out duringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014The power went out during dinner and the staff reacted flawlessly! They brought us candles and continued serving as best they could!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocrealwayssearchingDined on 2/2/2014Had brunch here with friends here...mediocre as are all the other resturants in this group (Serenitee?) The food descriptions are great but never fully live up in appearance or taste. The waiter was ho hum and for some reason his hands were shaking the whole time serving resulting in several spilled beverages. The homefries were burnt and a very artificial looking orange...the toast was cold dry and tasteless...the only thing that was fun and tasty were their version of pigs in a blanket. Closing for Reservations on March 3rd-maybe things will improve in a few months with the reopening...
- We always find the food interestingstealthdinerDined on 2/1/2014We always find the food interesting, the wait staff very knowledgeable and helpful, and the experience a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a must seeBakaDined on 2/1/2014the menu is very good. I particularly enjoyed the fresh foods and vibrant colors. they are healthy. they are clean. portions should be larger (for instance Mexican Yuevos rancheros has only 2 eggs and 2 tortillas:should make it 8 tortillas and serve in a heated Mexican bin with a napkin).Special Features:
- Not up to glutin free requirements.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2014Not up to glutin free requirements. Placed non glutin fee food on glutin free meal. It could have had serious health consequences if we had not questioned the waitress twice and insisted that she check with the chef. So, people who need glutin free diets beware.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice Sunday NightPhipat76Dined on 1/26/2014Recently went to Alchemy with my husband. We arrived early so there was no wait. Service was very good. Menu is a bit limited, but all the choices looked relish. We will defiantly return here for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlchemySugarMamaDined on 1/25/2014Cozy spot, great food (love their brunches) and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice winter placemueffDined on 1/25/2014Menu should be expanded for Sat & Sun lunch. Too many egg dishes.Special Features:
- Eclectic Fun SpotFunkyFrugalMomDined on 1/24/2014There is an interesting menu for vegetarians, gluten free and carnivorous diners. Tofu bites and a salad made a meal. I wish they would have skim milk available for those who want a tea or coffee and do not want whole milk or cream. There were some cheeses on the menu that are not common to the average diner, as grans. It would be helpful if the menu defined unfamiliar names. Comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super service and tasteful foodChrisDined on 1/23/2014Best food and service in months, highly recommended. Knowledgable staff, creative cuisine, cannot go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Warm and Delicious EveningJayeDined on 1/23/2014We dined with new friends for the first time. Our seating was semi-private allowing for wonderful "getting to know you" conversation. Ben, our waiter was most gracious and not intrusive. His suggestions for appetizers were wonderful as were his suggestions for an entree'. Our choice of white wine was moderately priced, aromatic and crisp with flavor for a Sauvignon Blanc. Our food was beautifully presented, delicious and appropriately portioned. This visit was our third time and our best. So glad we returned as our first visit to Alchemy was wonderful, an anniversary gift from our son, our second visit with a crowd of 12, was just "all right", nothing notable, but this visit, our best and one we will remember for a long time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and original foodTheatreFanDined on 1/23/2014Last time we were here we had small plates. This time we shared the app special, had two entrees and two desserts, one of which was a special. Specials ARE special and their price is especially reasonable. "Moroccan cigar" - yucky name for a very tasty phyllo pastry filled with lamb appetizer. Banana crème brûlée was dessert special. Alchemy's prices are on the high end. We visited using a Groupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't meet expectationsAKDLDined on 1/18/2014We have dined at Alchemy in the past and found it to be uneven. We were disappointed they had gotten of their pizza oven. Those were good! We started with drinks - white for me and a vodka on the rocks for my husband. The vodka pour was minuscule…maybe 3 or 4 small sips. It took quite a bit of time to get bread and have the order taken. We are used to slow service and actually appreciate not being rushed, but this was really slow. The Caesar Salad was just ok - nothing wrong with it, but a very small portion. I got the cassoulet and it was fine. My husband got the steak and it was fine too, but nothing remarkable. The service was intrusive. The waitress kept interrupting us to ask how everything was. We probably won't go back.
- Utterly Disappointed !!!desidostDined on 1/16/2014The menu list is quite limited offering no more than 7-8 choices from the main course. When we were placing our orders, we learned " Game Hen" dish is finished. Two people do not eat meat, so they wanted fish. Unfortunately they only offer 2 preparations of fish and one musels in the main course. We ordered the cod preparation. The waiter returned to inform t that there's no more cod. So from that limited menu 2 down from our choices. My wife ordered burger (well done) ...received (rare medium). The breads were fresh but not hot or toasted and not served enough for a four person table. It was just one basket as offered to a table for two. All i all the food was average and medium portions. The waiter serving us was very nice though.Special Features:
- My husband claimed his crabluckyrockDined on 1/4/2014My husband claimed his crab and crawfish etouffee, a special, one of his best meals ever. I had the scallops which were good. The ambience of the overall restaurant is good, and would have rated it higher, but we were seated by the kitchen. will definitely visit again. I appreciate the serving of sides that come with the meal, not just a decoration. The sides accompanying the scallops, brussels sprouts and squash were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared food. Good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/4/2014We made reservations for the beginning of the evening, so the wait staff were just getting started for the night (e.g. a little slow). Erika, however, was very personable and attentive. The housemade cocktails were delicious (Perfect Storm, Vodka martini) and our entrees were extremely well executed. My husband had the burger with perfectly cooked square cut fries; I had the flat iron steak. The mushroom bread pudding, potatoes, chanterelles and the steak were well seasoned and texturally divine. The dessert - the chocolate torte - was served whimsically in a mason jar with layers of mousse and whip cream. It was a great end to a casual, yet pleasurably tasty, evening.Special Features:
- So disappointedFooddudeDined on 12/30/2013Anniversary dinner. Was it Monday night? or maybe the day before New Years Eve? But they missed big. 7:30 reservation. Seated at one of the last tables. The place was full, and BRIGHT. You expect low lighting for ambiance, but perhaps no one remembered to turn them down, but it was certainly not romantic with the place fully lit up. 5 min to be greeted, another 20 min for cocktails and then another 20 min for our apps, but our server appeared to be covering 1/2 of the restaurant on his own. The drinks were OK, the apps were very good (octopus & strudel) Entrees were OK (duck & scallops). original app and entree were sold out, so had to order second choices and duck came out without sauce. Just expect way more if dropping $150 on dinner.Special Features:
- Good food, relaxed atmosphereJonBostonDined on 12/29/2013I've been here three times, now, twice for dinner (last summer) and more recently for a Sunday brunch. Dinner was, as you would expect, a little more ambitious (I remember a nice watermelon salad) but brunch was very nice. The bread pudding was ethereal. Service consistently friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Coastal Hang Outfishing4abiteDined on 12/27/2013Cozy spot on a warm winter night to share great food and special cocktails with friends. Next time we try a comfy couch. Don't miss the mussels and frites, a dangeorus new habit for the new year. We will be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMichaelDined on 12/27/2013I had dinner at Alchmy on Friday night. Great place with good food and fabulous environment. I have been before and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost great . . .PirmiMomDined on 12/26/2013Alchemy is a favorite spot. Love the atmosphere and food usually excellent. However, on this occasion, my companion's meal (a burger) was fine. I ordered the pork loin, which was too salty and otherwise tasteless. I did not like the side "mash" (seemed well prepared, just not as expected) and the "salad" that was supposed to be included consisted of a few thin tendrils of green plopped on top of the "mash." But the dessert (flourless chocolate torte) was so delicious, it made up for the rest. I was glad I was not able to finish my entree and thus saved room for it. Absolute perfection; too good to even describe. As always, the atmosphere was very pleasant and the service was good. I'll be back -- I just won't order the pork again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The eclectic and exotic menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/23/2013The eclectic and exotic menu is a plus for anyone who is willing to try something different, and there are some standard items on the menu as well. The waitress was knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. We have been here many times. Our family (from out of town) enjoyed it, and they plan a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown awayFoodieDined on 12/21/2013We were seated immediately upon arriving at our reserved time. Promptly and pleasantly greeted. We ordered 3 items unique to us. We were blown away by the alchemist in the kitchen to take the basic concepts of staples such as cheese fries, pot pie and cheese n crackers they became the golden experiences We could never had imagined. Stephanie was our server And delightfully guided us through our tremendous dining Experience like a true pro. Best service I've had in years!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchNamalDined on 12/21/2013The food was very good but the service was slow. The waiter was good they were short staffed leaving 1 waiter to handle the whole dining area on a Saturday afternoon during the holiday no less. Good and drinks were well worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menu with severalDreamDined on 12/19/2013Interesting menu with several vegetarian offerings. Terrific scallops and mussels and our meat lovers had a large, tasty hamburger. Local beers available. They made a great martini and the bar menu has many creative drinks worth trying. A bit noisy but if noise is a problem, go early.Special Features:
- We had a delightful experienceDinewineDined on 12/8/2013We had a delightful experience and I was proud to introduce my out of town family to such a fine dining experience. Our waitress was attentive,engaging and well versed in the menu, drinks and wine. We loved everything served. Coming in from the cold to the cozy warmth was very welcoming.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the ride to GloucesterYogaenthusiastVIPDined on 12/8/2013Alchemy is gem. This time we went for brunch, and everything was superb. The chef is featuring a few items with north African spicing - go for it! And the mushroom, sun-dried tomato and goat cheese omelet was perfectly prepared. The pricing is fair, and the service helpful. We'll return soon!Special Features:
- bar and wine stock limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2013Had a great meals with 3 others, great service, but was surprised the bar did not have Tangeray gin nor Absolute Vodka. Also the wine of our choice was out of stock. All in All it was a great eveningSpecial Features:
- Soul NourishingBananaBrookeDined on 12/7/2013I love this place. The decorations are warm. The staff all have a warmth to them and they also have been very interesting people. The food is delicious. Bravo.Special Features:
- We usually go to Alchemy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2013We usually go to Alchemy's once or twice a year when in town. We've been going since it opened-but the food seems to have gone downhill with the prices going up. Very heavy feeling to everything, even the salads. The menu seemed limited especially if a vegetarian or vegan. Disappointed with this last trip.
- Love Alchemy!NHkyeDined on 12/3/2013I have never been disappointed with my dining experiences at Alchemy. I have taken people there prior to heading over to Rockport for concerts and my guests are always impressed with the service, drinks and creative food. My husband and I have also gone there by ourselves and look forward to returning in a few weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Food and DrinkLovetohikeVIPDined on 11/10/2013If you want a great night out with good food, creatively prepared, and the best cocktails on Cape Ann, Alchemy is your best bet.Special Features:
- Alchemy is a hit!TheatreFanDined on 11/9/2013We ate small plates at our first visit to Alchemy. What variety and how tasty! We loved the beet salad. I had an unusual pulled pork Mexican dish that had shrimp too and was incredibly delicious. Interesting beer choices. My husband was delighted to find cod cheeks. We shared a very delicious Caesar salad. We went on a Saturday night around 6:30 and it was already hopping. Plus we had to be somewhere for a performance. I would prefer to try Alchemy again when they and we were at a more leisurely pace. We did not have dessert - no time. Would love to try next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing nightzuki250Dined on 11/8/2013My wife and I went here for our 1st anniversary dinner. We got a little nook called the cave. What a great night!! Food was amazing, staff was great...we couldn't be any happier and will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/4/2013We loved the food ! So good and creative and good portions! Great service! Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2013Our group of 5 tried a wide variety of menu items and everything was delicious. Tofu, pork tenderloin special, salmon, beef filet, and the roast duck were all fabulous. We'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.