1812 Cliff Dr.
Santa Barbara, CA 93109Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://alcazartapasbar.com/
- Phone: (805) 962-0337
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00 Am - 1:00 PM; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30 Pm - 10:00 Pm, Thursday: 5:30 Pm - 11:00 Pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 Pm - 11:00 Pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: Thank you for choosing Alcazar for your event! We require a 50% deposit to secure all events
A word from Alcazar
Years ago, before paved floors, Spanish bar keeps would cover their drinks with a napkin to keep dust from falling into their customers' drinks. The napkins eventually evolved into small plates to hold food and from there, the food on top of the drink became known as "tapas".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alcazar reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (5)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Gave our table awayTheCasualDinerVIPDined on 11/15/2014We arrived several minutes late, and were very briskly told that we were late, and that they had already "broken down" our table. It took another server to come and find a way for our party to get a table. Then, one of the "waiters" came up and asked what we wanted, no explaination, and given that this was a tapas place, the menu needed some explaination. Most of our party wanted to leave at this point, but I convinced them to stay. Food was pretty good, and then they cleared our table, and I guess to punish us one more time, made us wait 30 minutes to get our tab. Will never go back.
- Excellent surpriseluvoutwestDined on 9/26/2014My boyfriend and I were looking for a moderately priced tapas restaurant in the Santa Barbara area, and boy were we pleasantly surprise with this one. It was quaint and quiet and the food was incredible. I highly recommend the Dates with a Pig (wrapped in bacon), the avocado hummus and the Lamb sliders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!SBdinerDined on 9/20/2014We recently had dinner at Alcazar with good friends. Food is great, service is great! Only complaint is the noise level inside - when we first got there the noise level was almost too much but after a few people got up and left it became more tolerable. Will definitely be back - maybe we'll try and sit outside next time!Special Features:
- Great Ahi saladCBufDined on 8/12/2014Everything here is great, but really loved the Ahi salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014Small cool place with great, great food. Awesome service and very cool vibe.Special Features:
- The following 26 reviews are from the Alcazar reviews archive.
- Great Food, Great ServiceIoneTaylorVIPDined on 5/10/2014Our server was enthusiastic and friendly and offered suggestions when we asked. The cocktails were interesting and tasty - I tried the French gimlet. Our favorite dish was the lamb sliders - oh my were they good. We also loved the brussels sprouts with bacon, the ceviche tostada and the carne con crema. An old movie was being projected on the back wall - Clash of the Titans - which was retro and fun. The only drawback was that one of the woodplanks on my bench dipped which made it awkward to sit on. But, we had a great time and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Alcazar and their terrificJenmishkinVIPDined on 12/28/2013Love Alcazar and their terrific food. We always have a great time when we dine here. Lamb sliders... YUM!! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tapas delightGlikbargDined on 11/29/2013The restaurant is small but has a nice tapas menu and a full bar. My family likes to order lots and lots of the little dishes -- sort of like ordering sushi in that if you are still hungry, you just order a few more plates. I was surprised when the bill came that the 5 of us had spent less that $120 including two sangrias and some other fancy drinks. We did order a lot of the 5-7pm special items. Very reasonable considering everything we got. My daughter loves the chocolate lava dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but LOUD.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013I wouldn't hesitate to go back but my husband and I don't get out much alone and it was nearly impossible to have a conversation after we had been there a while and the place had filled up (Friday). The food and drinks, however, were FANTASTIC and our server was very attentive. Very fun/funky little place! QUITE small...I'd recommend a reservation, for sure!!Special Features:
- The smell of oil was overwhelming,kkw4Dined on 10/4/2013The smell of oil was overwhelming, the windows were open and the smell reached me before we entered the restaurant. The bread was very oily. The food choices sounded good, but hey were all too greasy. The ones not fried were tasty
- Away from downtown, good tapasSheafeDined on 9/5/2013Alcazar selected from list on Open Table for a meeting with an old friend, hoping to be able to have intimate chat; then changed the evening reservation at last minute... no problem.. from 2 to 5 persons. Quickly noted the distraction of ambient noise in this small-plates spot, where conversation was difficult at best... for this hearing-impaired diner. Our server was prompt & friendly, responded to our questions and brought orders in good time. Aside from a tiny serving of chips & salsa, our selections were of expected size: Lamb & beef sliders, avocado hummus, ahi plates.... all very tasty. Many other enticing items on the menu. Recommend for casual dining-without-pretense, perhaps not for a romantic or special-occasion experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasLaurenDined on 7/22/2013I'll start with the bad: the patatas bravas didn't live up to my expectations. Everything else was more than fantastic. The service was great, food was amazing, and drinks were good as well. I definitely plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to try a tapas placeAndyVIPDined on 7/1/2013Wanted to try a tapas place and came her from the suggestion from a woman who was working at a local winery. We walked in and stood there for a while confused. The tapas plates are smaller and much more expensive than usual places we have dined and they were just okay.
- Love itguest78Dined on 6/21/2013One of my favorite places to eat in Santa Barbara. Food is excellent (love both the sirloin and lamb sliders), and the drinks are not only creative, but delicious! It's also a nice setting. Although it's a little small and can get a little crowded, it's not downtown so you can at least avoid the tourists shopping downtown...Special Features:
- The small plates were excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/27/2013The small plates were excellent & generous, the cocktail list is impressive. It was unfortunate a bachelorette party took away from the intimate and cosy setting, but once they left everyone had a great time.Special Features:
- Innovative menu! Food wasTonyDVIPDined on 3/23/2013Innovative menu! Food was nicely prepared and tasteySpecial Features:
- Great except for waiting for 1 dishOnemanstreasureVIPDined on 3/15/2013Everything started out well with all our dishes coming out in a timely fashion, but we waited and inquired many times about the patatas we ordered, which only came after we settled our bill more than 30 minutes after our last dish had come out. Otherwise the food was great and the waitresses very courteous.Special Features:
- It was so cold in the restaurantDeliciousVIPDined on 3/15/2013It was so cold in the restaurant that night we all left our coats on. Made it less than enjoyable.Special Features:
- We love Alcazar's sister restaurantJenmishkinVIPDined on 3/1/2013We love Alcazar's sister restaurant, Milk and Honey and were excited to try Alcazar. We were not disappointed. Super good food and drink. Love the cartoons. My husband and I both crave the sliders!! YUM! We will be back, a lot! Thank you!Special Features:
- Food was excelant. But theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2012Food was excelant. But the blood orange margarita was horrible, had too much sour mix.Special Features:
- Very overpriced for what wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/21/2012Very overpriced for what was served. The tuna especially was both tiny and bone dry.
- Had a very nice time, anddpdaveDined on 3/2/2012Had a very nice time, and enjoyed all the great food and drinks!Special Features:
- Worth the Visit - Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2011We really enjoyed the food...we tried four different Tapas and they were all perfectly cooked and the flavors were delicious. We will recommend this place to anybody.Special Features:
- We were expecting more from,JoMKessVIPDined on 10/8/2011We were expecting more from, coming from out-of-town, than a small establishment in aan old strip mall. It really reminded us of a dive bar. However, the service was great, and the tapas are different and extremely imaginative. The lamb sliders, while not traditional Spanish tapas, are not to be missed, and the hummus and flatbread were like none we've ever had before. The place is very small so reservations may be helpful, maybe not, and the dress code is way casual. In all, a very pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- Always have fun here, andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2011Always have fun here, and really enjoy being somewhere we are not afraid to laugh and have a good time.Special Features:
- Our visit started out a littlelovetoeatoutDined on 9/16/2011Our visit started out a little shaky when they couldn't find our reservation, but we were soon seated. The dishes were wonderful - we especially enjoyed pigs on a date, the beef with blue cheese, enchiladas, mushrooms, and a variety of shrimp dishes. Our one disappointment was that the pappas bravas were not available. The one HUGE negative from our point of view was the noise. We were a party of six. The restaurant was only about half full yet we couldn't hear each other it was so noisy inside. If you go on a quiet night - the food is great.Special Features:
- Best food on the Mesa in SBmrmeatDined on 7/8/2011A unique gem! Great drinks (love the mojitos), great service and above all great food. The staff are all fun, friendly and attentive. The sliders are outstanding, but really, there's nothing on the menu that isn't imaginative and tasty. Where else can you find bacon-wrapped dates? Mmmm!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood psuedo-SpanishJessVIPDined on 5/13/2011Great neighborhood psuedo-Spanish tapas place. It would be much better if there were at least a couple of Spanish wines on the list.Special Features:
- Food was good (very createSonyaniDined on 4/24/2011Food was good (very create and delicious) - but service was slow and not terribly friendly.Special Features:
- Date with a Pig! Yum! GiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/9/2011Date with a Pig! Yum! Give the Heat of Passion cocktail a try. Very delicious.
- I can always rely on AlcazarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2010I can always rely on Alcazar for a great tasty meal and great drinks. The Gambas Alcazar and Filete con Crema are my favorites and they have the best Torilla soup on the planet.Special Features: