246 East 44th Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alcalarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2123701866
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: Lunch: 12pm - 2:30pm, Dinner: 5:30pm - 10pm; Friday: Lunch: 12pm - 2:30pm, Dinner: 5:30pm - 11pm; Saturday: 5:30pm - 11pm; Sunday 5:30pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Narciso Camarillo and Alfredo Mejía
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Alcala
Alcala is a smaller, more intimate restaurant near the U.N. which serves food from the Basque region of Spain. Alcala creates an elegant and romantic setting while still maintaining an overall casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Alcala - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Alcala reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (9)special occasion (7)notable wine list (7)romantic (6)good for groups (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- MariaVIPDined on 10/17/2014The best Spanish food in the city. Great staff and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!JulioDined on 10/14/2014I lunch and dine often at Alcalá. It's always good food, the service is superb, and the ambiance is relaxed.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceartofputting81Dined on 9/28/2014Straightforward review here. Great food great service. Loved the tapasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish RestaurantBucephalusDined on 9/12/2014This is one of the best Spanish restaurants outside of Spain. Tapas great and service friendly and promptSpecial Features:
- Excellent food, superb serviceJulioDined on 9/8/2014I keep going back to Alcalá, mostly for lunch, for its excellent food and superb service... and moderate noise.Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantCanuckDined on 9/3/2014The food is OK. Not outstanding, but OK for a neighborhood restaurant. We had several tapas. The better ones were the Gambas al Ajillo and Ensalada de Atun Fresco. They were good. But, the Esparragos Navarra was not; we thought all the ingredients had come out of a can. I would also pass on the Sangria next time.Special Features:
- MikeDined on 8/31/2014The grilled sardines appetizer was superb. For dinner we shared the paella con carne and it was also delicious. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ingredientsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014The staff was accommodating to special requests I had for the table of 5 I was entertaining. The paellas, filets and fish dishes were delicious as was the gambas al ajillo. The olive oil used in the dishes was excellent and the seafood was fresh.Special Features:
- Spanish GemLongtimeRestaurantGoerVIPDined on 8/5/2014I hadn't been to Alcala since it moved a couple of years ago. The food is still excellent - wonderful selection of tapas as well as entrees, side dishes, etc. Portions were generous and the flavors authentic. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- First TimeHurstdocVIPDined on 7/23/2014I chose this restaurant from Open Table listing of highly rated restaurants near to a business meeting. We had four tapas and four entrees and three desserts along with a pitcher of sangria. Everything was excellent and authentic (jamon iberico, boquerones, gambas al ajillo and asparagus) as well as the three fish dishes and paella. We were never rushed and the staff repeatedly asked if everything was to our liking. We would all go back.Special Features:
- SPAIN IN NEW YORK-OLEREINTJEDined on 7/15/2014An outstanding restaurant with fine food,perfect service, and a charming ambience.Special Features:
- Not the same1basqueVIPDined on 7/14/2014A basque restaurant needs a basque chef. I have dined at this restaurant several times over the years with very good results. This time at Alcala with new owners and new location was not very enjoyable. Poor service and food not close to previous visits.
- A real gemrisagVIPDined on 6/28/2014Excellent Spanish food and great service. Will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014SOLID SPANISH FOOD AND TAPAS. FRIENDLY "FAMILY" STAFF. TIRED DECOR AND TIRED CLIENTELE
- The following 244 reviews are from the Alcala reviews archive.
- Delicious!HotslaDined on 6/10/2014Every time I visit the place I find the cuisine simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasReddevilsVIPDined on 6/4/2014Alcala has a wonderful selection of delicious tapas. Add a pitcher of their Sangria and you will be very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServiceJulioDined on 5/22/2014Alcalá is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. The food is excellent and reasonably priced. The service is superb. Noise level is moderate, so I can hear my friends and they can hear me without any extra effort.Special Features:
- Nice reunion placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/13/2014We had a get-together with 5 friends who had varying food likes (1 almost vegan, 1 vegetarian, one no red meat, one food allergies) and all was accommodated well by the chef and server! It was quiet enough for lively conversation and the location is good!Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014My party was seated right away. The waiter was friendly and the food was delicious and it was prepared quickly. I would definitely recommend this restaurants to friends and I will visit again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterFoodieNYCDined on 5/8/2014A tapas/Spanish restaurant within walking distance of the UN lured me to choose this place. Sadly it did not meet expectations. We ordered from the tapas menu - portions were small with long waits between each dish. The place was very quiet for a Thursday night. Overall the service and ambience were lackluster.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/8/2014A good place for a work dinner. The service is fast. They also have a26$ express lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingmyfavDined on 5/6/2014I have dined at Alcala several times for lunch and dinner and always found the food and service to be excellent. We are always given a warm welcome by one of the owners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish corner in ManhattanMANUELCORTIZOPICHELDined on 4/20/2014Nice place to be if you want to get Spanish food in Manhattan. The wine card is impressive as well. The service is excellentSpecial Features:
- Authentic Spanish FoodEduardoPVIPDined on 4/19/2014My wife and I visited Alcala during a recent visit to NYC. We made a late "post theatre" reservation for 10:30 but arrived late. However owner/chef Jesus and his team welcomed us and stayed a little late to serve us. I'm Spanish and found the food to be authentic and delicious. Jesus came out to visit with us and his staff were all very welcoming and delivered great service. I highly recommend it and being pretty near the theatre district its a great place to visit before or after a show. I've eaten at many of the Spanish restaurants in NYC and Alcala is among the best. The ambiance is not too fancy and very comfortable. Just like a good neighborhood restaurant in Spain where the staff treat you like family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/8/2014There are not many places in New York to have authentic tapas, but this is one of them. We had items that were not on the menu, so ask your waiter what the kitchen might have hidden in the back of their cupboards. Decor is not fancy and the chairs unstable, but that adds to the atmoshere and ambience. Service was friendly and attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas for TwoLP018Dined on 3/29/2014Acala's ambience was candle-lit and quiet, not busy at all for a Saturday night. We were excited to find a tapas place, as we loved that style of dining when we were in Barcelona. Great wine list with reasonable prices. The food was good but not great, service was friendly but not overly attentive. Overall, it was ok but we probably won't be back.Special Features:
- Authentic SpanishBTONVIPDined on 3/28/2014This was our second visit. We only ordered tapas and each was great. Tortilla de Patatas, Chorizo en Cazuelita, Jamón Serrano, Plato Campero, Plato de Quesos etc etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific neighborhood find;OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/26/2014terrific neighborhood find; freshly prepared food; excellent service; very reasonably priced wine list with lots of excellent Spanish wines; has that tired but homey feel. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disinterested waiter. Average foodJADKVIPDined on 3/24/2014Overall, quite disappointing. We were visiting NY and were looking for a small, neighborhood type place expectingfriendly service and really good (but not too fussy) food. What we found was a small neighborhood place with a waiter who completely going through the motions and was far from friendly. The cheese course was good but everything else was non-memorable. Would not go back or recommend to anyone.
- Good Spanish FoodJackDined on 3/22/2014Brought my Spanish fiancé here for a taste of home. He was positively giddy! Paella was a bit untraditional, very low on rice. PRices are a bit high for portion sizes. Overall, nice menu and place. They changed locations, to a slightly smaller one.Special Features:
- Service fell very shortMichaelDined on 3/21/2014I have been here many times, at this location and both of the "old" Marichu's. Dozens of times in total. It has always been outstanding in every respect. This time, while the food still met that standard, the service fell far short. After already having ordered drinks and two bottles of wine, it took three tries - the last, accompanied by a threat to walk out-- before we could get water and bread. Much of the evening was like that. My wife called the next day to speak to the manager about it. Her comments were met with a brief and formal apology. Like the kind you get when someone really couldn't care less, but they know they have to say the words. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Good Spanish FoodRafNY1Dined on 3/20/2014I loved all the traditional Spanish food and Tapas. Cheese plates and jamon are always smaller here than they are in Spain, but that's just the norm. Our waiter, Chucho, was great and attentive. The paella, the shrimp in garlic sauce, the lamb chops, were all delicious.Special Features:
- Great time at AlcaláJulioDined on 2/28/2014I patronize Alcala with my friends and colleagues. A great place to eat and talk. Service is superb, always with a smile. The food is excellent and very well prepared. I recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Authentic Spanish RestaurantHeidinycDined on 2/4/2014Great night out with group of friends at this Authentic Spanish Restaurant .... great food, good value, attentive servers and even a Mariachi band to entertain! Great location near Grand Central for groups coming and going in different directions. Will definately go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish ambienceLabMomVIPDined on 2/4/2014Went for lunch after some meetings at the UN. It is a big UN hangout. Food is good, though salmon a little over cooked. Good size portions and nice special menu. Worth a try,Special Features:
- Totally EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/31/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Alcala. We opted for all tapas in order to be able to sample more dishes. The food was delicious and portioned generously (for tapas). The service was warm and attentive. We were very impressed by the owner, who takes an active role in his restaurant. I would definitely visit again when in the area in order to try more of the menu.Special Features:
- Delicious traditional Spanish foodCathyVIPDined on 1/11/2014Many classic dishes from the Basque country and other areas of Spain. Tapas and salads are particularly good - endive, orange and blue cheese salad is divine as are the boquerones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very cute, intimate SpanishbgourmandVIPDined on 12/29/2013A very cute, intimate Spanish restaurant - very quiet on the Sunday night we went there (only one other couple!). Nice service and atmosphere, but food was nothing special. I have had better paella and natillas (custard dessert) in many other places.Special Features:
- We celebrated an anniversaryDavidVIPDined on 12/20/2013We celebrated an anniversary with lunch at our favorite neighborhood secret restaurant. Lovely and delicious as always, and with impeccable and warmly-delivered service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another very good mealHankDined on 12/5/2013Alcala does not dissapoint. Although being from out of town, I only am able to eat here once or twice a year, the meals and service are always very good. Every thing I have ordered here has been very enjoyable. (You do have to like garlic if you order any of the dishes indicating it is one of the ingrediants.) While service on my recent visit seemed a little slower than usual, that was not a real detraction. I especially appreciated the assistance of the staff in helping my guest, an elderly lady, who has mobility difficulties, even assisting when we left and accompanying us to a taxi. I look forward to my next trip to New York and another visit to Alcala.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.