ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle)
1205 N. Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78703Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alcsteaks.com/
- Phone: 5124721813
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private areas available for groups of 10 to 45 guests. We can offer our regular dinner menu, or we will happily assist you in designing a delicious dinner that is appropriate for any affair and print your custom menu for your guests to select from. We can also provide flowers and assist with wine selection.
- Private Party Contact: Theresa Mertens 5124721813
A word from ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle)
Enjoy a delicious steak and a taste of Austin. You haven’t experienced the best of Austin until you've been to ALC Steaks. The capitol city's only independent, family-owned steakhouse serves sizzling, hand-cut, aged beef the way Austinites have loved it for over 19 years. From our rich, antique wooden bar to our relaxing, unpretentious dining room, everything about us says, "welcome." Our exceptional service and genuine hospitality are as inviting as the many signature items on our menu. Tonight's the perfect evening to discover something else great about Austin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle) - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
ALC Steaks (Austin Land & Cattle) reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)romantic (55)fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (50)notable wine list (38)good for groups (36)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- ALC Never Lets You DownBlucrzrDined on 10/28/2014We were a group of 6 and we got into happy hour. The bar was hoping. Drinks were, the black and tan super. Went in for dinner and our server was competent, friendly, and we never wanted for any refills. The salads were superb and the steaks were excellent. The fried shrimp was super. The prices were right in line with what we expected. We have used ALC for our old timers get together over the past 6 or 7 years and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Business dinnerJerseygirlDined on 10/27/2014Had our business dinner here last week. We were a group of nine. Our waiter took good care of us and offered suggestions for the menu. We all had steak except one person who is a vegetarian. They offered to make her a "portobello" steak which she had and loved. The goat cheese pepper app and the spicy cream corn are ao good. We also loved the sampler of different steak sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Heavenlortega4Dined on 10/24/2014I've been to plenty of decent steakhouses in my life. This differentiated itself by the friendliness of the staff, the lax dress code for such an excellent restaurant, and the superb quality of the food. Not many places have such fun ways to add to your steak such as the enhance your steak part of the menu. Some people might hesitate to do anything like this to a $40 piece of meat. But I think it truly added to the experience. I got the ALC style and I was more than happy with the result. I'll definitely come again.Special Features:
- primoprimoDined on 10/18/2014ALC has the best and biggest lobster tail in town. My wife loves it because it has great flavor and not too filling. I ordered the Ahi tuna, which was cooked just right. It's not often you can find a piece this large that is consistent all the way through. They also made this occasion (my wife's birthday) special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALCizOKRandomElementDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I have been there 5 or 6 times and we are never disappointed. The steaks are always great and the hot veggies like the seasoned snow peas and flash fried spinach are among our favorites. Our server was attentive and courteous. If I had to be nit-picky and mention something that was slighting lacking, it was the escargot. While still good, they were a bit chewy. My wife and I love great escargot and we have had better. It was the difference in my food rating not being outstanding, because other than that, it WAS! Absolutely love the "Oysters Texafeller" or whatever that was called. I have celebrated a couple of my birthdays at ALC and I likely will again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SteakIrishgirl78Dined on 10/17/2014The steak was perfect, melt in your mouth deliciousness! The truffle bacon mac n cheese was amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks!TexasDuoDined on 10/16/2014Home grown natural beef aged for that perfect flavor. Ribeye was tender and delicious. Little pricey but worth it if you love a good steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sure betAuntcheleVIPDined on 10/14/2014I don't work far from ALC and friends and I go there periodically. On the last visit we had mushroom appetizer ( a favorite) and also tried the crab avocado appetizer. Both yummy. Had the lobster tail that was cooked perfectly and finished with pecan tart. A great meal. BTW, I love the warm bread they serve. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Best Steakhouse in AustinkikoDined on 10/13/2014They have the best steaks in Austin, they have a good service.Special Features:
- SaltyEnigmaPDXDined on 10/12/2014Tables were nice, ambiance was goo, service was exceptional. Steak was well seasoned, but overly salty.
- Great Food; Great ServiceFood4ThoughtDined on 10/12/2014Austin Land and Cattle has the best steaks in town. The service was superb.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantPMR1Dined on 10/11/2014Wonderful restaurant! Outstanding service -and menu. Very enjoyable place versus pretentious steak house restaurants (though indeed this is a very nice, decorated, quiet restaurant). Parking is easy. Food is always great-- steaks, seafood, salads, etc.! !Special Features:
- Don't judge a book by its coverScottDDined on 10/9/2014if you do not want to pay the price for the high end chain steakhouses in the city this cozy place may be a good alternative. It is not in a very attractive or fancy building and the interior could use some updating, but the food was a pleasant surprise. A very solid ribeye steak and solid service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Austin's best!SandyBeachDined on 10/4/2014Great martini's and fabulous steaks! A must when visiting Austin! Scotty, one of the son's that help manager this gem is a great person to meet. Everyone was great from the time we entered the restaurant until the time we walked out the door. Next visit to Austin this is at the top of the list to visit. Thank you to all!Special Features:
- ALCGeorgeDined on 10/4/2014We always enjoy eating at ALC. This visit was fine but we were not happy with the table the seated us at because there was a noisy group right next to us and we were right under an air-conditioning duct. At our request we moved to a table we liked better.Special Features:
- always reliableluv2dineVIPDined on 10/3/2014ALC is a standby restaurant for us when we want a great steak and an easy comfortable meal. It is not loud in the restaurant, the waiters are knowledgeable about the menu and adaptations one might need for dietary restrictions or needs, and the atmosphere is like a neighborhood place where it seems like everyone knows one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsPvilleDinerDined on 10/2/2014ALC is my go-to place when new people come to town. The food and service are always impeccable.Special Features:
- Best steaks!WildBillDined on 9/30/2014My wife and I had delicious ribeye steaks that practically melted in our mouths. They were very tender and cooked to perfection. The homemade rolls were delightful. The service was wonderful, and our server was helpful in reccomending side dishes and dessert. We were in Austin on a trip and were not familiar with the restaurant or location. From the outside the building was a bit underwhelming, and, you enter through the bar, which was rather dark. But, once you enter the dining room we knew it was going to be a great evening. The light was bright but subtle; the tables had white tableclothes and candles. A very impressive room. Next time we are in Austin this restaurant will be a certain stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check site menudmm24ktDined on 9/29/2014While the food was excellent, the menu link from Open Table turned out to be for a menu that was 3 years old and consequently 25% less expensive than the current prices for smaller portions. The manager immediately checked their own site and the Open Table site to verify our statement of price and portion difference. All involved were very professional and polite, but the difference in price was an unwelcome surprise. I do not know whose responsibility it is to see that links are current; just be sure to check the establishments' websites for menus and prices rather than relying on a link from a 3rd party site.Special Features:
- Nice Laid back SpotApplejack1Dined on 9/26/2014Very Austin like in style and feel. Food was great as well as service! If you want a good steak and a mean cocktail, this is the place. Reasonably priced for a high end steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Austin authenticdiningMomDined on 9/26/2014We wanted something authentic to Austin and we got it! Great steak and seafood. Service was great and the atmosphere is perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awsomemaximusDined on 9/23/2014I was visiting Austin for 3 days i have to say that was the best steak dinner i have had in Texas.. this is coming from executive chef.my hats of to you and staff.. thank you for the great time and amazing dinner..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissappointing!TvassDined on 9/23/2014ALC was our favorite for years. They have made some changes in size of New York Strip and quality of meat was bad. Thickness of a steak is huge and now they have decided to cut corners. All other things were good but meat was bad. Please don't change what wasn't broken. I wouldn't mind paying more to get the quality back and thickness of the cut of meat.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014A potent combination of friendly, knowledgeable staff, comfortable almost, club-like atmosphere, and the food is excellent. Always has been and I have been going here for at least 10 years or so, ask long as I have lived in Austin.Special Features:
- Nice evening!LatinaTurtleDined on 9/19/2014Waiter was very friendly and helpful. Food was excellent. My only complaint is that temperature of room was very chilly for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed for the 1st timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014We LOVE ALC and take all of our friends and family. It is always fantastic...until this time. Not sure what was going on, but the steak (ribeye) was not quite as good, the service was slow and somewhat unattentive, and it was very loud. Disappointed for the first time. There was chewy fat that we did not eat...first time ever. Steak seemed like it was cooked in a hurry on a grill that was too hot. Waitress was friendly enough, but seemed unorganized?
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014Have been wanting to try this place for many years as a lifelong Austin resident. Finally did it for my 35th birthday... Sadly, the steak was far from good. I've had a lot of great steaks in town - this was not one of them. Poorly cooked, no "crust" and the seasoning tasted exactly like the pork chop.
- Just alright.OpenTableFoodieVIPDined on 8/31/2014We had a gift certificate and it was a fine place to go at the last minute, but I probably would not go again. The quality of the meat was not fantastic and the wait staff was clearly stretched beyond their means. The bartender suggested a pretty good wine, but nothing really wowed me at all.Special Features:
- Never againBajaliciousDined on 8/31/2014Worst steakhouse I've been too in all the states. Slow and bad service. Extremely loud, I was no where near impressed with the food. This is a bar and grill trying to be a steakhouse with steakhouse prices and failing miserably.Special Features:
- Excellent steaksGoodEatsRobDined on 8/26/2014We've been dining here for many years - it's been around for quite a while. Do NOT confuse it with Texas Land and Cattle - they are not in the same league as ALC. The steaks (I have never tried any of their other offerings) have been tender, perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked and delicious. I am especially fond of the bone-in ribeye. We also love the New Mexico goat cheese stuffed green chiles - they provide an incredible flavor burst that has to be experienced to understand. Service is excellent with great timing and no rushing because the next course arrives too early. The prices are on the premium side, but represent a good value for the food an service provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we were looking forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014Perfectly cooked, beautiful pieces of steak. Our waiter, Clinton, was fantastic as well; he truly went the extra mile whenever an opportunity presented itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We went for a bachelor party and had a thoroughly enjoyable meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Service is always good and the steaks are great! Wine list is good and affordable. Restaurant is due for some updating.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodRareSteakFanDined on 8/19/2014This was our first time visiting ALC and we were certainly not disappointed. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, and very helpful. The food was simply perfect. The steaks were cooked perfectly. Some restaurants don't seem to understand the term "rare". ALC does. Our steaks were nicely browned on the outside and nice and pink on the inside. The cuts of meat were just wonderful, juicy and tender. We look forward to returning on our next trip to AustinSpecial Features:
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014We go here for each of our birthdays. The food and service are always top notch.Special Features:
- Great steakTheR2TowncriticDined on 8/16/2014All the the sides where very good, althoughT he balsamic salad dressing was unusually spicy. I ordered surf and turf. I ordered the steak Med-rare, it came well done. They where very apologetic and accommodating. They brought me out another steak that was perfect and a 2nd lobster-tail. The pecan pie was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksComfyDined on 8/15/2014The filet mignon that I had was excellent; cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent steakOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Good place for a great steak, good service, will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerRuwcoDined on 8/13/2014I took my family to celebrate a birthday and had a very nice experience. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. The portion sizes were a nice change of pace as many Austin restaurants think that the more expensive a dish is, the smaller the portion. Our steaks were cooked just right and had just enough of my favorite "white" meat. All in all, a very nice dinner. I preferred over Ruth's Chris or the like.Special Features:
- OutstandingCharlesDined on 8/9/2014The steaks and service at ALC was outstanding. Excellent wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.