32 Church Street
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://albertsmontclair.com/
- Phone: 9732330300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Patrick Pierre-Jerome
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact David at the Restaurant.
- Entertainment: From time to time.
- Special Events: Please contact David or Chef Pierre at the Restaurant.
A word from albert's Montclair
albert's Montclair in Montclair NJ is a bustling neighborhood BYO restaurant. Our contemporary dining room combines a unique design and a warm decor. Outdoor cafe style seating is delightful at this time of year. The crowd is a diverse mix and the menu is specifically tailored to draw both the customer craving an amazing burger and the couple out for a romantic evening. Our menu offers the finest in American comfort foods as well as international selections done as only Chef Pierre can.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
albert's Montclair reviews from OpenTable diners
- A gem in Montclair!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2012Albert's Montclair is one of my favorite local restaurants! The Chef is superb. The wait staff is very friendly, personable and enthusiastic(though a little young and not always accurate). But I highly recommend it. The food is top notch. The prices are very moderate. The atmosphere is inviting and unpretentious. I've haven't had a bad meal yet! FYI...It's BYOB and the wine shop is 2 doors down.Special Features:
- Great food and service. FantasticMontLife1289VIPDined on 10/6/2012Great food and service. Fantastic art and music. A must for dining.Special Features:
- great neiborhood place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/20122nd time there. food good, service good, pleaseant atmosphere, personable, decor very tasteful. 1st time ate outside in the warmer weather very good 2nd time ate indoors very good. one recommendation would be some kind of wall or floor coverings as it is hard to hear others sometimes because of background noise. otherwise i recommend Albert's.Special Features:
- This place was just eh. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/29/2012This place was just eh. The wedge salad and ceaser salad were average. The calamari had no taste (actually not true it tasted burnt). The mac n cheese and fig flatbread were but the whole meal was eh.
- Went for our first visit onOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/29/2012Went for our first visit on a Saturday night at 6:30pm. Tables all around got a dish of nuts as a starter but we did not. The lobster bisque was tasty, but served lukewarm and was cold by the time I was finished. Entrees were served quickly, and were enjoyable. When they were cleared, our waiter Cameron asked if he could get us anything else while holding the check in his hand. I always thought that encouraging guests to consider dessert and coffee was an easy way to increase the tab (and the tip). My credit card was processed at 7:49 pm.
- Happy Here...DerekDined on 9/15/2012I'm really not sure what half of these reviewers experienced, but I'll just have to presume that the reviews are either dated and things have improved or cynically that this is Albert's competition writing the complaints. First of all, there were three of us, and I sampled a lot: The spinach salad with peach (9/10 stars); the lobster bisque (8/10 stars); the iceberg wedge salad (9/10 stars); shrimp & grits (8/10 stars); meatloaf (10/10 stars); fried chicken (9/10 stars); collard greens (10/10 stars); mac & cheese (9/10 stars); grit cakes (10/10 stars); sangria (9/10 stars). all of the dishes and sides were flavorful, juicy, and nicely presented. AND, importantly, the service was good, especially when you're greeted by Albert himself.Special Features:
- Our first time here. Afterstevenb30Dined on 9/14/2012Our first time here. After reading mixed reviews, we were pleasantly surprise by both the well prepared food (we ordered simply - salads and flat breads) and the attentive service. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great food, service, and livemikeVIPDined on 9/13/2012Great food, service, and live entertainment! Stopped in for lunch, came back for dinner. Yummy goodness, at a great price!!!Special Features:
- We were a group of eight,concertgoerDined on 9/9/2012We were a group of eight, everyone was pleased with their brunch selections. We were first timers and so pleased we asked to see the dinner menu...we'll be back! The front of the restaurant opens to the sidewalk, our table, just within was having the best of both worlds.Special Features:
- Most of the food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012Most of the food was very good (fried chicken, tilapia, blackened salmon, sauteed spinach). Mac and cheese was good. Desserts were good (peach cobbler, bread pudding, gelato). It took a bit of searching to find a parking spot 4 blocks away.
- Food, service was great. IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2012Food, service was great. I would recommend this restaurant. The fried calamari was great! Everyone was very satisfied with their dinner.Special Features:
- Confused.FireandWine65VIPDined on 8/25/2012This was our third visit to this place and every single time we went it has been a different cuisine. This time it's SOUL food. This restaurant is REALLY trying to find itself but it is no where near getting it right. The place has so much potential if they got a decent chef and a sharper and cleaner wait staff and hostess. Some corn bread would have been nice on the table. But instead we got a small bowl of some type of seasoned peanuts! I guess that was par for the course with the PAPER NAPKINS that adorned the table. Unreal. The food was so-so. Calamari over-cooked. Just overall not worth it. This place needs a new manager, chef and staff to get something going. The Soul food is a BAD concept that I predict will fail. Sorry.Special Features:
- Albert's has a different nameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012Albert's has a different name and a new menu and they both work. After a good but not great experience during the spring we gave the restaurant a second chance and brought two other couples with us. Albert is gracious and engaging. He obviously takes pride in his restaurant and the service. His suggestions of wings, calamari and the Fried Chicken entree were on the spot. Also the Talapia was enjoyed by all who ordered it. We would recommend that you give it a try.Special Features:
- 2nd time @ Albert's and stillsilkcityVIPDined on 8/5/20122nd time @ Albert's and still found it quite enjoyable. Brunch both times, next time dinner.Special Features:
- Food and service were veryTomTVIPDined on 7/28/2012Food and service were very good but the acoustics are bad. it's noisy. you could not have a quiet romantic dinner here. I would definitely go back though.Special Features:
- Food was great; service androbbiVIPDined on 7/28/2012Food was great; service and ambience great. The cornbread is AMAZING! Also very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- We went there because theirElaineVIPDined on 7/26/2012We went there because their website said "comfort" food and the photo was of risotto. We ended up eating burgers! The place was empty but next door is a Raymond's and that was booming. I don't Albert's will be around very long from what I observed.
- We were pleasantly surprised.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2012We were pleasantly surprised. Food was different, and very, very good. Wine store is literally the next store over to purchase for your meal (BYOB) or to make with their Sangria. It may be our new regular restaurant.Special Features:
- This is a very good restaurant.FoodiewannabeDined on 7/15/2012This is a very good restaurant. Unfortunately the weather was gruesome when we went and ended up inside, after getting soaked first...Special Features:
- Won't Try AgainAZFOODIEDined on 7/13/2012Previously Cafe Amici, we stopped eating there because we felt the quality of the food had declined. We were very excited to see the new name and a new chef had been put in place because we love the location. Unfortunately, this didn’t translate into a better experience. Apps: Shrimp and Grits and Flatbread Pizza with fig and cheese. The flatbread pizza would be the highlight. It had the perfect amount of air and crispiness and bigger than we had anticipated. The shrimp dish lacked flavor. The entrées came next. Unfortunately, we weren't even halfway done with our appetizers’. When we made a point of this they offered to wrap up the apps. Really? We were wrong for not eating faster. Jambalaya, bland. Fried chicken....MUSHY!Special Features:
- We were fans of Yves (theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/6/2012We were fans of Yves (the restaurant)when we first arrived in Montclair many years ago. We were sorry to see it go, as restaurants do. We were certainly intrigued when the chef returned to open Alberts. The food was good, though very different from Yves. A special shout to the fried chicken. The service on the other hand, leaves room for improvement, so I hope management is using this shake out period wisely (disappearing servers, alternating with help in swarms; floor managers getting lessons on the art of opening wine during a Saturday night rush; forgotten silver ware etc.). Great outdoor space on one of Montclair's restaurant rows. I do hope they get their act together so I can with confidence reccommend Alberts.Special Features:
- A Foodie's DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2012Excellent location, amazing food, great vibe. Chef Pierre does it again...adding his signature style of classic, soulful, elegant comfort food to one this neighborhood's favorote spots. Brilliant Restaurant Remix!Special Features:
- food was good- would go backOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/4/2012food was good- would go back - caution -fried chicken good but very greasy service was off--will allow for being new- but they need to get togther owner keeps coming around to table - got a bit invasive after awhileSpecial Features:
- All I can say about the newLynnDined on 7/3/2012All I can say about the new menu is WOW. I've died and gone to culinary heaven. I no longer have to travel to New Orleans to get a good Southern meal.Special Features:
- I have been going to CafeFOODMOMVIPDined on 6/30/2012I have been going to Cafe AMici for years and was looking forward to the new menu which did not disappoint - party of 4 all happy with appetizers and dinner which included Jumbalaya , seafood special and meatloaf. Looking forward to trying brunch soonSpecial Features:
- Worth every cent and the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2012With a new Chef, concept and name change, we were a bit skeptical about what, why and how the restaurant would be. We were blown away and like a good shoe or pair of jeans, it just fit perfectly. The Southern Fried Chicken, ribs, Mac'n Cheese, were spectacular, the Flatbreads which are like a free formed pizza were delicious and addicting. Sharing a Vanilla bread pudding was the icing on the cake. We will be back not just for the Southern or Cajun food but there were so many other choices from apps, salads and entrees that American food with a Southern soul really fit. Good job by everyone.Special Features:
- while the sandwich I had wasJanetDined on 6/26/2012while the sandwich I had was tasty it was served with potato chips; I would hope a restaurant this nice would have a side that was more creative and/or substantial.Special Features:
- the wait for our food wasCoopernickDined on 6/19/2012the wait for our food was long. Food was ok, pizza was very good. Ribs were not good.
- Have eaten here at least 10OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2012Have eaten here at least 10 times prior to this. Disappointed in the recent menu changes and extremely poor service. We had a birthday and they were out of birthday candles ! How is that possible ?? Sorry to say we will be moving on
- Another great meal on a beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/26/2012Another great meal on a beautiful evening. Hospitality trumps perfect service any day in my book. If the fork, knife and napkin aren't perfectly lined up but the server really cares about my experience that says so much about a restaurant. Great job by all.Special Features:
- Hello, My guests and I had2lovebirdsDined on 5/19/2012Hello, My guests and I had a very enjoyable experience at Cafe Amici. If in the area, I'd go back. Bella PoundsSpecial Features:
- We had dinner to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012We had dinner to celebrate my daughters college graduation. There were 10 of us, and it was on Mother's Day. We had a choice of sitting upstairs or outside. We sat upstairs and had the whole room to ourselves. My only negative comment is that the server (who did a fine job, and was very personable) had to keep running up and down the stairs to get things. There is a service bar upstairs that should be stocked with glasses, pitchers etc.Special Features:
- The food was not very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2012The food was not very good. I had the sole special, and every bite had a bone. It was inedible. I sent it back and ordered a salad instead. My friend had the tuna tartar and it lacked any flavor. The place was pretty empty when we arrived, and I can understand why after eating there.
- Great salads, soft shell crabmontclairfoodieVIPDined on 5/5/2012Great salads, soft shell crab dinner special. Generously portioned albeit a little salty NY Strip. Sent back the Red Snapper dinner special (dry, overcooked and bland) in exchange for a delicious Turkey Burger. Friendly, accommodating service although not overly attentive. Got a little noisy but in a good way. No pressure to free up our table, allowing us to enjoy wine and conversation long after we had finished eating. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Tuna carpaccio thick, chewy.mi26VIPDined on 4/22/2012Tuna carpaccio thick, chewy. When it was time for our entrees to arrive, the nice waiter said mine was unavailable. I ordered a tuna burger which came rare. It took 15 more minutes to get a new one. The manager said the main chef was off for the night and comped me on my dinner. They did the right thing but we won't be back.
- Horrible! Will not return!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/21/2012Cafe Amici is consistently inconsistent,but this night was horrible. Our table and miss matched stemware were wet. The room was loud and disorganized. The wait staff cannot seem to get anything right. Our appetizers were brought to another table and sat there for 5 minutes until the staff and owner realized. They thought we didn't notice that the food was brought downstairs for three minutes, then given to us. The tuna appetizer was over cooked and spinach salad was wilted. Our entrees were then brought to us halfway through the appetizers. The red snapper special smelled and tasted like bait! The pizza was good and we split it. We both left hungry and went somewhere else for desert and coffee inorder to salvage the evening.
- red snapper and ribs wereCarolynDined on 4/21/2012red snapper and ribs were overcooked. wahoo was bland.
- The food was very good andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/21/2012The food was very good and the menu had a nice selection. The staff very attentive for such a busy place (went on a Saturday nite). Yes, not the quitest place but not the noisest either. Overall, I would go back and recommend it to my friends.Special Features:
- Another great dinner withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2012Another great dinner with friends. Our selections ran from a Turkey burger with Mango Chutney to Jumbo Shrimp stuffed with lump crabmeat and a Tagliatelle Bolognese. We ordered appetizers to share: Pizza, dumplings, calamari and Caesar salad. This is why new American is so great.Special Features:
- Lovely space. Food very disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2012Lovely space. Food very disappointing. Mushy truffle fries. Zucchini fitti needs a sauce. Not enough sauce with tuna app. Disappointing!Was looking for a good lace to take my foodie boss and this did NOT fit the bill.