425 I St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Mt. Vernon Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.albaosteriadc.com/
- Phone: 2027334454x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday
11 AM – 12 PM
11 AM – 1 AM
10:30 AM – 1 AM
10:30 AM – 12 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Donna
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Chef Bar - Chef's Tasting Table
By Chef Amy Brandwein
Thursday Night - 7:30 PM
A word from Alba Osteria
Guests can anticipate cuisine from Chef Roberto Donna’s home region of Piemonte, Italy with a focus on the town of Alba. Guests can anticipate an expansive salumi and formaggi counter, plus a selection of antipasti, house-made pastas (available in small and large portions), and Neapolitan pizzas. A variety of daily specials displayed in “Italian sized” portions will also be available for sharing in the traditional Piemontese fashion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Alba Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (39)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (7)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)romantic (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great service and half off wineiluvs122VIPDined on 10/28/201450% off wine Mondays and Tuesdays. Excellent selection. Also great service but friend has the beef short ribs and it was very salty. I had Tajarin pasta and it was good but nothing to write home about. Would go again to check out the brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/20/2014Really good pizza and pasta! Service a little akward, trying to be accomodating but was intrusive.
- Brunch funDebbieDined on 10/19/2014I've been here twice now for brunch, and enjoyed it both times. This last time was really noisy and hard to hear, and it took forever to get my dish (though the rest of the table had been served), but overall I would still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014It wasn't too full the night we went, so the service was great. The staff didn't over-attend to us, yet the general manager came by at the end to see how our experience was and let us know about a special lamb roast they'll be doing on Friday. I'll be sure to go back! The braised short ribs and the quail dishes were on point!Special Features:
- Bottomless BrunchILoveBrunchDined on 9/21/2014The Bottomless Brunch special was amazing! $30 for bottomless drinks AND endless plates - delish. Just make sure you come hungry and leave the afternoon for recovering from your food coma. :)Special Features:
- Great place for brunchOHillDinerDined on 9/20/2014Looking for a good place for brunch and the usual places were booked and we tried this place on the recommendation of Brightest Young Things and it did not disappoint. They recommended the pizzas, which def were a hit. The fries were awesome and the pasta was delicious. I would def go back. Could use a wider variety of cocktails.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014Chef Amy Brandwein is amazing! The food and service were fantastic.Special Features:
- Horrible service and bland foodBadBadVIPDined on 9/13/2014Come here to celebrate my bday with about 11 friends the service was really slow took them n hour to bring our food even though the place was empty in a Saturday night. Not a good sign. we had to keep asking for refills n the food taste like it came from a fast food restaurant. Waiter didn't understand English we had to repeat our order to him more than once n he still got 2 orders wrong lol
- Poor ServiceKanyeNDined on 9/5/2014Had to wait 20mins for food to be served. Main course came before Appetizer. Wine was served after main course was served
- Nice BunchNxmkVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had a very nice brunch outside at the Osteria. Excellent service and relaxing atmosphere. The dish Nona's Eggs with Meatballs was exceptional--- very tasty. Looking forward to try the place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousTheHawkVIPDined on 8/17/2014My second time dining here was even better than my first. If your in the neighborhood- Go! If you aren't- make a special trip- it will be worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ExperiencecaphilldinerDined on 8/15/2014Our order was confused with another table, not once, not twice, but three times. The food for our group came at various, different times, so that when one person was almost done eating, several others were being served. The lunch portion for an entree was the portion of a small appetizer. The portions were so small that we all left hungry. Moreover, the service was slow. It took forever to bring the food out, even when several of us ordered the same thing. One of the dishes came out, while the others who ordered the same entree waited a good fifteen minutes more. The waiters were oblivious to all of this.
- great pizzasgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/13/2014DeIcious pizzas and soups. Service is slow (have eaten here several times) but always friendly. Desserts leave something to be desired...but the pizzas never fail to please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meeting placegratefuldinerDined on 8/6/2014We had a group that wanted to meet for dinner and have a long discussion. The wait staff was excellent, very accommodating of our needs. Food was very good, the bar and wine list was really excellent in terms of variety. Great place to hang out with friends.Special Features:
- DisappointedJakeFoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014I had heard some good things about this restaurant so I gave it a try with 2 friends. But it was disappointing. Two of us got pizzas, and they arrived lukewarm and the cheese (supposedly buffalo mozzarella) was bland. Our server wasn't very attentive. Our red wine was warm so it clearly wasn't stored properly.
- TerrificPQfoodieDined on 8/3/2014Great brunch. Pancakes were really good, thin with both sweetness and a touch of lemon. My husband had the Monte Christo, and it was also top notch. We shared a romaine salad way egg and crispy pancetta, and it also was executed flawlessly. This was really good food. And they have a bottomless brunch, which we did not partake this time. But there will be a next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fab!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014The service was great and the food was even better. I cant wait to return. My goal is to try every single item on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, great happy hourCapHill17Dined on 7/28/2014Half price wine bottles on Monday and Tuesday nights. Half price (delicious) pizzas for happy hour. Great bartender (Ben). Plenty of space to stretch out. This was my third dining event at this restaurant and it continues to impress. Yum!Special Features:
- Disappointed...dcfoodieDined on 7/27/2014When we first arrived it took our service more than 20 minutes to even serve our table with water. And she seemed very flustered and stressed out. She explained to us that there were issues with staffing that day, which good of her to let us know, but not an excuse for poor service. We later got a new server who was upbeat and extremely helpful.While waiting for our food to be served several servers came with dishes that weren't ours.When we finally got our food is was not good and the poached eggs were extremely runny.There wasn't much brunch options as they seem to specialize more in pizza. Anywho, we complained to the manager and he deducted $10 off each of our bills (nice touch).Special Features:
- AlisonDined on 7/26/2014We had a baby in our group and the front-of-the-house service was very accommodating, which was very much appreciated. Unfortunately, the back-of-the-house service was pretty terrible the rest of the night, bringing out each person's entree at different times. This is one of my pet peeves and really killed our overall impression of the restaurant. Some dishes were pretty good while others were extremely mediocre, but they all were a bit overpriced. It had a wonderful outdoor ambiance, though. Wish our experience could have been better.Special Features:
- Our waitress Reyna was great!lyricloveDined on 7/26/2014I totally recommend this place for brunch. Our waitress was great and the food delish!Special Features:
- Brunch DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Loved our brunch date at alba osteria! We ordered pancakes, the eggs & meetball dish, (my favorite), waffle, frittata, & sausage pizza (my date's favorite). The food was good, but the highlight was the service! They brought every food order out promptly, and kept our peach bellinis, & mimosas filled to the brim. We spent there hours there and felt welcome the whole time. My date and I are already planning when we'll go back for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is a messDinnertimeVIPDined on 7/20/2014We went for brunch. 3 hostesses with no coordination or plan, after 15 minutes had to ask for server, we end up with 2 servers getting in each others' way (mix ups, no silverware/water). Wrong orders brought out twice. Slow drink delivery. Slow drink refills. Slow delivery of check after asking. They mean well, but it's pure chaos. Who is in charge? Decent pizza, but we won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Great service & food. Brought friends from out of town for brunch and Kendra treated them like rock stars! Our glasses and plates were never empty. Everyone in our group of eight raved about the food and the service. Thanks for helping me show off the neighborhood!Special Features:
- last minutenigelwVIPDined on 7/19/2014Dinner for the family while on vacation in DC, i always use OT, reviews were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDCDinerDined on 7/16/2014It was a date night and we were eager to try out a new place near home. I asked to be seated outside and found it to be narrow to access. The menu was hard to understand: Lots of items and categories in Italian without clarification in English, so it was hard to decide what would fit our tastes. We wanted bruschetta and were surprised it didn't appear on the menu. We asked if they had it and the waiter said, "Oh. No. But that would be a good idea." What. We were unwittingly given a brunch menu so the items we ordered weren't available, forcing us to choose others we were less interested in. We ordered a pizza and it was bland and greasy. We saw the waiter very infrequently. We very much don't recommend. It took a long time to get our check.
- justellnthetruthDined on 7/13/2014The food was non traditional and full of flavor. The bottomless brunch was such an experience and a lovely way to eat with the family. Ben provided excellent service and made the 30th Birthday celebration a very special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian food in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2014Fantastic small plates, fun presentations, fabulous service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great D.C. Brunch!BDRJrDined on 7/6/2014There are a lot of "bottom-less" brunches to chose from in DC. This is certainly in that top group. Mango Juice with champagne, excellent Bloody Marys, etc. You can switch back-and-forth between 3-4 choices of drinks. The food is creative. A little pasta with eggs, ham and French fries ... not low-fat, but different...and good. Being true to its Italian food theme, there are a couple of pizzas on the menu. All you can drink and all you can eat. $29.95Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 106 reviews are from the Alba Osteria reviews archive.
- It was ok but had issuesTedfordDined on 7/1/2014The cheese and bread that they put on the table was delicious! We did some cheese and meats, which were also delicious but it went downhill from there. We ordered 2 appetizers - 1 was delicious and the other left something to be desired. Most of us ordered two 1/2 size pastas each. They were far too salty. You could tell that everything would have been good if it weren't for excessive salt that was on most of our pastas. I actually couldn't eat all of one of mine because it was just too salty! Even someone at the table said that she usually over salts things and her pasta was too salty for her. Service on food and drinks was very slow and the food didn't come out at the same time. It seemed clear that one dish had been forgotten.Special Features:
- Great Brunch SpotSGDCVIPDined on 6/28/2014Went here with a large group of 10, great service. The food was good, but not my favorite. I'm not a big egg person and everything but two items on the brunch menu contain egg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mt Vernon Triangle additionFoodJunkieVIPDined on 6/21/2014About half our group selected the bottomless brunch option and this was definitely the best option. All of the dishes were well-prepared but nothing was outstanding. The oatmeal was actually dry. Our server was great and was assigned multiple large groups at once. The Bloody Mary's were 7 on a scale of 1-10 but we drink them weekly. Mimosas were an 8. Best dishes: the Nonna's Eggs and Meatballs (which they let you customize, Montecristo, & Frittata. Romaine salad had a nice touch. The poached eggs were a little too soft for our diner's taste. We loved everything about the ambiance and the location. Parking was easy the drivers. Crowd was a nice mix of hipsters, young family & groups. Great bar and selection. Will be back to dine and drink.Special Features:
- Going Downhill FastAaronVIPDined on 6/20/2014It pains me to say it, because this neighborhood joint started to be our regular haunt: the service is abysmal. A contender for worst in the city. The ONLY time we've had it great is when Ben is working. All others have been mediocre at best. It's a true shame, as the food is excellent. After 7 or 8 tries, we're ready to call it quits. Every time we go, the seating is more and more unfilled. Now we know why. To Ben: do yourself a favor and head somewhere else. Any other restaurant would be glad to have you.
- weak service, some food decentFStalloneVIPDined on 6/7/2014service was well below par. server forgot one guy's drink, it showed up 5 minutes after everyone else's. after taking all dinner orders, server returned three minutes later because she'd forgotten them and asked all to repeat so she could write them down. the main courses arrived while salads/appetizers were still being eaten. asked for parmesan and olive oil, both arrived, but after such long waits that the food was cold, which further accentuating how flavorless the pizza was. scanned beer list, which seemed decent, for an after-dinner drink, but neither of the first two requests were available and the bartender informed us that the menu was never updated. to be fair, my companions enjoyed their food - pastas, salads.
- neighborhoodfindDined on 6/2/2014I like this place. It's a few blocks off Massachusetts Ave., N.W. amid condos. That makes it quiet and relaxed. It wasn't too crowded and the weather was nice so we ate outside. The food is good, different. They have a sampler that includes several kinds of food. The pasta on the sampler was great. Salads are too. Just low-key, really nice and the service was excellent. Nice waiter, attentive without being distracting. I'll go there again.Special Features:
- Excellent Brunch Spot!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/1/2014The team there is fantastic! Dru and Kendra are amazing!!!Special Features:
- Service Still Not So HotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014This is a great neighborhood spot for happy hour--the pizzas are terrific. Mealtimes are not so great, at least not yet. The full menu is certainly adventurous, but they might be better off hitting some more traditional Italian dishes and doing it well. And the service has not been very good since the restaurant opened almost six months ago. For instance, the person who brought us our food just dropped it off and said she didn't know which dish was which because she was new. It's a nice restaurant and is a great addition to the neighborhood, but they still seem like they're working out kinks.Special Features:
- Great for brunch and outdoorsTheFlexitarianDined on 5/24/2014Went with two girlfriends for an early Saturday afternoon "brunch", but was unable to sit outside without having previously requested outdoor dining on OpenTable or making reservations directly through the restaurant. Hostess said the patio seating was booked solid for 2 hours. Both the food and service was good, and I plan to return someday soon for their all-you-can-eat AND -drink weekend brunch.Special Features:
- We loved the food and the service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014However, the beverage 'list' left a lot to be desired, starting with no Italian beer available, to the only Prosecco (by the glass) was a bar 'draft pour' and was flat, and rose...very odd. We did however, finally have a wonderful Ruero - that was delicious. Just a bizarre stance on a Friday of a long weekend...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Ben is awesome.AaronVIPDined on 5/13/2014As expected, great food and service from our favorite server.