Alan Wong's Restaurant
1857 S. King Street
Honolulu, HI 96826Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $50 and over
Alan Wong's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alanwongs.com/
- Phone: 8089492526x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Miya Nishimura, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Alan Wong's Restaurant
Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
Alan Wong's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Alan Wong's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (104)fit for foodies (95)romantic (54)notable wine list (39)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (22)good for groups (22)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Outstanding food, so so serviceIowafoodieVIPDined on 10/21/2014Food was excellent with good well balanced wine list (although a little high priced, even for Hawaii). Service however was poor, extremely in attentive waiter, out water boy was more concerned about our experience than the waiter and they were not understaffed, other tables around us made the same comment.i have dined here in the past and did not have this experience so maybe our waiter thought we were tourists or whatever.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Our second visit and it was just amazing as the first! Instead of a tasting menu like last time, we ordered from the menu, we had the opihi shooter, poke pines, lobster "tofu", ginger crusted onaga, and opakapaka. Everything was perfectly cooked and delicious! Such great flavors. For dessert we had the pineapple shave ice which was mind blowing and the Lilikoi tart which was good. Service was exceptional. Our server was extremely knowledgeable and courteous. Even a server in training who brought the coffee was sweet! Always a highlight and we will be back again! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & servicefwnh9429VIPDined on 10/17/2014Course menu they offered was more than what I had expected and pampered myself with goodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Food uninspired and pretty tasteless. Portions far too big and we only ordered appetisers! We couldn't wait to get back to Morimoto and the fresh flavours and excellent quality ingredients there. Very tired and old fashioned and selfless promotion of AW's book on the iPad on the table.
- Another excellent experiencertkawanoDined on 10/10/2014The only real negative was that our table wasn't ready during our scheduled time.Special Features:
- The Best Yet!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014My wife and I eat there every year, though this last night out at Alan's was the best yet. He and his staff really prepare the food to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing menu, great serviceAlexDined on 10/5/2014Our experience was in par with the great reputation of this restaurant. We had the set menu and all six menu items were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Night-outBingmeisterDined on 9/30/2014The restaurant has a nice easy but special atmosphere, and we dressed up a little bit more than usual. The overall service is really nice, and the bread and accompaniments were just delicious. We chose their specialty first courses which did not disappoint. The main course, though, did not measure up to our expectations, having chosen the lamb chops and short ribs. The portions are big leaving no room for desserts. Overall, it was a nice night-out for us.Special Features:
- Outstanding QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014This is the 2nd time we have dined at Alan Wong's for our anniversary(s) and have not yet been disappointed. The quality of the food, service and the restaurant itself cannot be beat. The selection of the ala carte menu was diverse enough to satisfy all our palates and the fixed menu was perfect for my wife who absolutely loved the wine pairings. Our server, Tyler, was knowledgeable, personable and very professional in his tableside service also. Truly and top-notch restaurant and one that needs to be experienced. Quality, quality and more quality!!!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful dining for occasionMusclekazDined on 9/28/2014Great Pacific Rim restaurant among a few. Innovative dishes which taste as good if not better as authentic style from corners of the rim. . Staff are friendly, vibrant and quick to attend. I recommend this great dining for an occasion to celebrate.Special Features:
- Always a great timekblincoDined on 9/25/2014My wife and I have been to Alan Wong's for the past 8 years for our anniversary and it hasn't let us down once. Every time, fantastic service, gourmet food that's just mouth watering and a wonderful atmosphere. Always a winner for the special occasions in life. Make it a point to go!Special Features:
- great local flavorsEarlysipperDined on 9/22/2014alan wong's presents a very good menu with robust local flavors. as noted by others the restaurant resides in an unassuming office building. glad we took taxi over or may have missed it. enjoyed the food and will come back again during our next visit to honolulu. the wait staff gave good effort but service not on par with the food. brings new meaning to a gem in the rough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A WinnerPaid2EatDined on 9/21/2014Alan Wong's is a a special place and I try to visit a few times a year. They know their stuff in all ways. The service staffers all know their stuff, well-versed and trained in an exemplary fashion. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/17/2014An amazing culinary experience. If you like pineapple, the Bully's martini is out of this world. Foie gras is a taste treat all in itself. Service was a bit slow, but the delicious food made up for it.Special Features:
- OverratedPhilerupDined on 9/17/2014Food was decent but service is horrible. Terrible, rude people working there.
- Best Hawaiian Regional RestaurantGourmetGhettoGoerVIPDined on 9/14/2014We dined there for the first time on our recent vacation to Oahu. Simply put, Alan Wong's is a Honolulu treasure with incredibly good, creative food served by extremely knowledgable waiters. We particularly recommend the butterfish with foes gras and unagi, and the ginger-crusted onaga, a signature dish, apparently. We also like the casual vibe; the restaurant is not stuffy like its King St., foodie-magnet neighbor, Chef Mavro. We also like the fact that you don't have to order a tasting menu. The only demerit, if you will, is that the courses were slightly rushed. That said, we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDinerVIPDined on 9/14/2014Love it! Love it! Food is fabulous! Service is perfection! The staff really knows about and understands the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kind experiencefoodie21Dined on 9/14/2014Excellent food, superb food, well informed wait staff. My suggestion is to go to an early dinner. We had a 5pm reservation since we had an 8 pm show to get to. It turned out to be perfect since we had ordered the chef's menu and it took us exactly 2 hours to get through our meal. We loved our entire experience and it was worth every single penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best fine dining in HonolulumsprntDined on 9/8/2014we celebrated here while on our honeymoon and the service and food were the best we had in Honolulu. Unfortunately the full chef's menu was not available, so we settled for the 5-course dinner. Everything was great and the portions (for a 5-course meal) were very generous. It's a little bit away from Waikiki, but would definitely suggest this spot for a celebratory / fine dining meal in Honolulu!Special Features:
- juppeats5starjuppeatsVIPDined on 9/8/2014Another return trip to Alan Wong's was a real treat. As always the food was the star, but on this visit the service was over the top as well. We both ordered the tasting menu, but not the accompanying wines that did not seem all that special for the extra cost. The courses on the tasting menu contain all the best dishes on the menu (in my estimation). Includes their wonderful tomato soup and grilled cheese/foie gras and pig sandwich. This is followed by the ahi and avocado stack, which I asked consist of avocado slices rather than the mash. Next came the snapper in an amazing sauce. Meat dish is their famous braised short rib. Dessert is coconut sorbet with chocolate shell to simulate a coconut, covered with beautiful fruit.Amazing!Special Features:
- Poor servicemauigirlVIPDined on 9/7/2014We have dined at Alan Wong's numerous times, always enjoying our evening. The food is very, very good. The ginger crusted onaga is excellent, and, dairy free. I also love the short rib. Fall apart meat, tender and flavorful. I have to mention that the service on our last visit was underwhelming and really not acceptable for a restaurant in this category. One of our meals was not hot and must have been sitting around for a while before being served. This put a big damper on our dinner as one of us had a meal to eat and the other was sent back to heat up. Our server was not attentive. We poured our own wine most of the night and had to flag him down most of the time.Special Features:
- NOT WORTH ITSDfunVIPDined on 9/6/2014We received terrible service. The food was ok. The bill was large compared to the poor service and ok food. I would go somewhere else for upscale Hawaiian.
- awful servicenicknameVIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was ingenious and delicious. But we arrived and was told the 9 course prex fixe was unavailable, so we had the 5 course prex fix. We had to wait 45 minutes after they took away each course. We asked about when it would arrive, and with each course they apologized, but yet again, the next course took 45 minutes. In between, they said they would check with the chef, but they did not return until the course arrived. Never going backSpecial Features:
- BEST OF EVERYTHINGluvetodineinamericaDined on 9/3/2014I have been to Alain Ducasse, Heston's Diner and many more michelin starred restaurant, Alan Wong ranks number 1 on my list. I had the lobster for starter, when I opened my lid the smell of the lobster was amazing. I never knew lobster could smell like that. I had the lobster pasta for main, again, cooked entirely differently and tasted different to the starter, it was unbelievably delicious!!!The chocolate cheesecake was second to none, it was light and not too sweet, unlike most chocolate cheesecake. If you're in Honolulu, you must go there for dinner, it's absolutely amazing! We were on our honeymoon and they signed the menu for us and let us keep it. It's currently framed and hung on my wall. The waiter was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Heavenly CuisineEddiewouldgoDined on 9/1/2014Every morsel was a heavenly delight! Loved everything from the appetizer, salad, entree, desserts and wine. Allan Wong', definitely the right choice for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Bad service and moreDrjennjennDined on 8/29/2014Was promptly seated for our reservation. Nice table with a view. Ordered the tasting menu and was told they were sold out. It was 9pm on a Friday night. Ordered alternatives which we enjoyed, though nothing was spectacular. Waited 30 min for dessert course and finally gave up to leave and settle the check. This took 3 attempts to correct for some reason. Spoke to a manager who did not comp or help alleviate our frustrations. Left feeling disappointed. After driving an hour back to our beach house, I woke up that night running to the bathroom. My husband's symptoms hit a few hours later. Thankful that I'm a physician and had an Rx for our symptoms, or the plane home would have been awful. A terrible end to an otherwise wonderful vacation.Special Features:
- Mrs.pochacco0830Dined on 8/29/2014We went there for Birthday celebration. The menu is special for me. It is showing my name on it. Also, the server is really professional to explain to us for each course and the food is really really delicious. I love it and will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A step backBac1Dined on 8/28/2014I've dined at AWs several times over the last year when on Oahu for work. Sadly this time it fell short. Had to wait 15 minutes past our reservation before we we seated. It took almost 45 minutes between clearing our first course and serving the second then almost as long for our entree. The resturant was busy but not that busy. Both my guest and my steak were overdone. I enjoy the creativity, and the high quality of ingredients...just disappointed in the overall experience this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good butgourmet6796Dined on 8/27/2014we have been the first time at Alan Wongs restaurant. The food was very good. The combination in tastes very interesting. My beef was too soft and too sweet for my taste. Also the dessert was to big for our suggestion, but it was a very good taste overall. We have gone for the signature menue. Also it would be fine if it is possible to switch one course to another inside the menue, which wass not possible. The wine selection was good. I was astonished to get a german Riesling. We have great wines I know this but the they are also been offered in Hawaii was new for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014Umami cuisine with all the wonderful Hawaiian produce, seafood and ranch delicacies!
- Best meal in HawaiiyvonneDined on 8/24/2014We loved our meal at Alan Wong's! Since it was our first experience, we ordered tasting menu and every course & wine pairing was excellent!! And very generous proportions!! Best meal in Oahu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SimplyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Well to be perfectly honest, it's overrated. So now this site wants me to write at least 50 characters...enough?
- Simply the BestthatfoodguyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Don't let the location fool you. This is an outstanding restaurant! We had the tasting menu and every course was perfect and the wine pairings inspired. This is a must whenever we visit Honolulu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversery dinnernatey123Dined on 8/22/2014We've been to Alan Wong's many times and they did not disappoint. We got our requested window seat, the food was delicious, and the wait staff and server were attentive and courteous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Lovely food, beautifully presented and a sensible portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodboogsDined on 8/21/2014amazing food and service. I'd say the decor does not live up to the food and service, improving decor would really set this place apart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyabletoresia2114Dined on 8/20/2014Appetisers came in really large portions and the staff - great attention! Tomato & watermelon salad and Tuna poke salad with avocado (with crunchy wanton skins) are stand-outs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently high quality diningTravellingDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was my third time dining at Alan Wong's Restaurant. They continue to demonstrate with their food and service that they deserve their reputation as one of Hawaii's top dining destinations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner!!amaikuDined on 8/13/2014Thank you very fun time. We had alacarte, but was a very satisfactory meal. We wanted to eat the dessert, too, but We wera full and unfortunately cannot eat. I want to eat by all means on the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Really good meal at Alan Wong's but not as good as I had hoped.