Alan Wong's Restaurant
1857 S. King Street
Honolulu, HI 96826Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $50 and over
Alan Wong's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.alanwongs.com/
- Phone: 8089492526x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Miya Nishimura, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Alan Wong's Restaurant
Consistently voted as one of Hawaii's best restaurants, James Beard award-winning Chef Alan Wong uses the freshest locally grown produce and the bounty of the Pacific Ocean to create local favorites with a contemporary twist. Inspired by the unique ethnic influences found in Hawaii today, his menu reflects Hawaii's cultural diversity of its people, traditions, and lifestyles. "Taste Hawaii."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Alan Wong's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Alan Wong's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (128)fit for foodies (107)romantic (67)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (28)good for groups (24)scenic view (14)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Bad service and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Was promptly seated for our reservation. Nice table with a view. Ordered the tasting menu and was told they were sold out. It was 9pm on a Friday night. Ordered alternatives which we enjoyed, though nothing was spectacular. Waited 30 min for dessert course and finally gave up to leave and settle the check. This took 3 attempts to correct for some reason. Spoke to a manager who did not comp or help alleviate our frustrations. Left feeling disappointed. After driving an hour back to our beach house, I woke up that night running to the bathroom. My husband's symptoms hit a few hours later. Thankful that I'm a physician and had an Rx for our symptoms, or the plane home would have been awful. A terrible end to an otherwise wonderful vacation.Special Features:
- A step backBac1Dined on 8/28/2014I've dined at AWs several times over the last year when on Oahu for work. Sadly this time it fell short. Had to wait 15 minutes past our reservation before we we seated. It took almost 45 minutes between clearing our first course and serving the second then almost as long for our entree. The resturant was busy but not that busy. Both my guest and my steak were overdone. I enjoy the creativity, and the high quality of ingredients...just disappointed in the overall experience this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good butgourmet6796Dined on 8/27/2014we have been the first time at Alan Wongs restaurant. The food was very good. The combination in tastes very interesting. My beef was too soft and too sweet for my taste. Also the dessert was to big for our suggestion, but it was a very good taste overall. We have gone for the signature menue. Also it would be fine if it is possible to switch one course to another inside the menue, which wass not possible. The wine selection was good. I was astonished to get a german Riesling. We have great wines I know this but the they are also been offered in Hawaii was new for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in HawaiiyvonneDined on 8/24/2014We loved our meal at Alan Wong's! Since it was our first experience, we ordered tasting menu and every course & wine pairing was excellent!! And very generous proportions!! Best meal in Oahu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SimplyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Well to be perfectly honest, it's overrated. So now this site wants me to write at least 50 characters...enough?
- Simply the BestthatfoodguyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Don't let the location fool you. This is an outstanding restaurant! We had the tasting menu and every course was perfect and the wine pairings inspired. This is a must whenever we visit Honolulu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversery dinnernatey123Dined on 8/22/2014We've been to Alan Wong's many times and they did not disappoint. We got our requested window seat, the food was delicious, and the wait staff and server were attentive and courteous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Lovely food, beautifully presented and a sensible portion sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodboogsDined on 8/21/2014amazing food and service. I'd say the decor does not live up to the food and service, improving decor would really set this place apart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyabletoresia2114Dined on 8/20/2014Appetisers came in really large portions and the staff - great attention! Tomato & watermelon salad and Tuna poke salad with avocado (with crunchy wanton skins) are stand-outs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently high quality diningTravellingDinerDined on 8/16/2014This was my third time dining at Alan Wong's Restaurant. They continue to demonstrate with their food and service that they deserve their reputation as one of Hawaii's top dining destinations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner!!amaikuDined on 8/13/2014Thank you very fun time. We had alacarte, but was a very satisfactory meal. We wanted to eat the dessert, too, but We wera full and unfortunately cannot eat. I want to eat by all means on the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Really good meal at Alan Wong's but not as good as I had hoped.
- superb food shame about the winegbandjgDined on 8/10/2014Been here 4 times before and the food is always exceptional. Local produce, unique tastes and doesn't matter what you order. That said though the service wasn't as good this time with lots of waiters that were new and really some of them were not up to the standard I expect at A Wings. Wines here are an issue always though. Most of the low end by the glass wines are just chemically altered grape juices masquerading as wines when they would be better used as paint strippers. I am NOT joking. No decent Sauvignon Blanco, NOT one dry rose. For a restaurant this good their sommelier needs to radically rethink their choices. Or perhaps they do it deliberately so you must buy a bottle of over the top priced mediocre wine? Food though is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualJjt13Dined on 8/9/2014Everything was excellent. Fish, steak apps. My favorite of the evening was "da bag" appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Top NotchdineNwhineVIPDined on 8/9/2014From personalized menus, to ever changing inventive dishes, uncommon attention to detail and friendly, attentive service, Alan Wong's continues to deliver one fo the best dining experiences in Hawaii. Mostly elegant flavors of Pacific Rim, fusion cuisine. Zagat 28-23-27 may be a tad low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Unpleasant Service.jackDined on 8/7/2014The foods wer flawless. No more comment needed. However, I think they offer 1 star service with 5 star food to me. Basically, waiter is too busy because he handles too many tables. I just pour my wine for myself inevitably. I drank my daughter’s water because I don’t want to call a waiter loudly. There were so many times that no one paid attention to the guest near us.Special Features:
- Food is goodLala37Dined on 8/5/2014Food is very good. We made a reservation at 8pm. And we came all the way to Alan Wong's from abroad. We were waiting until 8:10. Even there were some empty tables, the receptionist still kept us waiting. Except for the reception service, the other services during dinning were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014The service was amazing, the food absolutely delicious, and the coconut dessert is highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artistic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Great menu, flavors and presentation. We loved everything we ordered and the attention to detail and creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Experience!NYCDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014This has become our favorite restaurant in Honolulu, this resataurant is at the top of our list! We look forward to returning soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite restaurantbestofoahuDined on 7/31/2014Simply this restaurant is the very best in modern Asian Hawaiian foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 7/31/2014Food was outstanding! Service was impeccable! Everyone was vey friendly and it made the experience that much better!I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeLoriDined on 7/22/2014This was our first time at Alan Wong's. Although the food was excellent, the service was quite slow. Maybe it was a busy night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014The only reason why I give this 4 stars is because of the service. The food was great! I loved every bite! The service was good all the way until waiting to pay for the bill. I waited at least 30-40 minutes from when they last checked on us, until the bill came. I think it was great to give us time to enjoy the restaurant...but could we at least pay, so that I could hang around leave when we are ready to? Rather than feel like someone forgot about us and left us waiting for the bill?Special Features:
- Wow the reviews were right!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014I worry about the places that are really hyped but Alan Wong's restaurant was fantastic and well worth the time to check out! We chose the tasting menu with wine parings. Every dish was absolutely perfect! The chef integrated and highlighted local farms and growers into every dish. Each was presented beautifully! I appreciated the chef working with me to ensure that the seafood was thoroughly cooked (bad allergies). My favorite dishes were the ginger crusted pink snapper and the chocolate haupia bowl! A must try is also the passionfruit mojito! We can’t wait for a trip to Maui to try another one of Alan’s restaurants!Special Features:
- Best dining on the islandsDocGasDined on 7/20/2014Ever since we first dined at AW's it's the place we always go when we want fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravellingDinerTravellingDinerDined on 7/19/2014Five stars! Let them show you with their food and service that they deserve all their awards and accolades!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & excellent serviceRachandrollDined on 7/19/2014The food was so creative and delicious at the same time. It was refreshing to read a menu that was so innovative and did not contain the same ole items that so many restaurants (even those from celebrity chefs) are prone to have. The Kalua pork in Da Bag is memorable (the most flavorable Kalua that I have ever had). I was blown away by the entire dining experience. All the staff was super nice, friendly and knowledgeable (they walked us through the menu and knew the ingredients. They brought plates for us to share dishes (without our having to ask). I found this to be very accommodating. Wish all restaurants had this kind of customer pleasing attitude.Special Features:
- Dessert was AwesomeDonfromLVDined on 7/18/2014We had the "Classics" Prix Fixe meal. Perfect for first timers. The course selections were great. Beautiful dessert presentation and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, but...SwissGourmetDined on 7/17/2014We have had the smaller tasting menue for USD 125.--/ person incl. wine pairing. Food excellent - lousy service! While having the second course, the waiter already set knife and fork for the third course on the table. I had not finished my 3rd course, when the waiter took away the plate of my wife. There is absolutely no, I mean no atmosphere in the restaurant - too many tables similar to a McDonalds restaurant. We are used to eat and drink in top restaurants worldwide - but such a service and an overcrouded atmosphere never happened to us. Due to this bad service and loud and noisy restaurant we cannot recommend this to our friends, despite the fact that the food was excellent. Alan Wong, reduce the seats by 25-30!Special Features:
- Wong's restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/17/2014Superb dining with great food and friendly helpful staffSpecial Features:
- Amazing!TffabianVIPDined on 7/14/2014Everything about dining at Alan Wong's was excellent. The restaurant was impeccable without being too stuffy. Their staff was friendly and attentive. The food was exceptional. We ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings and were not disappointed. The wines were a perfect complement to the food. The dishes were imaginative and executed perfectly. An amazing experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but pricey restaurantOhmanVIPDined on 7/14/2014Res : 745pm. Hostess sat us down close to our res time n server apologized tt we had to wait. Svc was gd but we ordered d romaine salad but server did not put tt in. Ord seafd cakes and lobster agedashi for appetizers. D seafd cakes were gd n my hubby liked d salsa/fennel on top, but d agedashi was plain. Also, d flavor of d bonito flakes were overwhelming tt d tofu n lobster pcs were overshadowed by d sauce n condiments around it. There were also bits of cheese baked bread which were v hard in texture. Ord d ribs n seafd stew as d main. Our boy had d grilled fish (initially ordered d tempura fish but they were all out of batter) Kid's meal was v salty. Entrees were ok. Dessert, pineapple shave ice (sour n mushy) & d coconut (gd)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SuprisedFoodienOhioVIPDined on 7/12/2014I, at first, thought that this was going to be another run of the mill Japanese eatery, offering generic sushi with a little added spice. I, however, was pleasantly surprised. It food is delicately prepared with enough tenderness and flavor to thrust you off your seat, fleeing into the kitchen to hug the chefs. Seriously, it was good. The ambiance could use a little spice, but the food is perfect. Decent wine list too.Special Features:
- Terrific MealFineDiningAdictDined on 7/11/2014It has been a while since I have dined at Alan Wongs. It is always a special occasion. The food and wait staff were terrific as always. Best recommendation is to get the early seating and enjoy the really quiet and intimate environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/9/2014One of the very best dining experiences I have ever had! Every dish was perfect--beautifully presented, great taste, interesting combinations. If you are in Honolulu, do not miss out on the chance to dine here.Special Features:
- Tired placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/8/2014Want to love this place but it needs a shake up . Service is professional and attentive. Nice ambience. Wine list is weak. 50 dollar wine ( meaning 15 at your wine store )or hundreds. All and I mean all our food arrived cold. The restaurant was half full . Go figure
- Simply the BestHomeHawaiiVIPDined on 7/8/2014After years of living on Oahu and dining at virtually all highly ranked gourmet restaurants there is simply no rival to the dining experience at Alan Wong's. The only issue, and it's minor, is the size of the dining room. During this last meal my chair was so close to the chair of the person that sat at the next table that everytime a server squeezed between us there was a not unexpected jostling of my chair. Yet the spectacular food trumped this slight inconvenience. When visiting Honolulu every serious foodie must put this restaurant on their 'must do' list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the top expensiveKWyntsVIPDined on 7/7/2014Food was wonderfully prepared and service was attentive but I wouldn't go back or recommend due to over the top pricing. $12 cup of coffee, really??? When I spend nearly $400 for dinner I want to be completely awed, which we weren't.Special Features: